Eric Mangini joining 49er's staff

faba

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because this is a Jets board that rallies around the payroll and demonizes anyone not on that payroll.

Yeah it just couldn't be that the majority of the board thinks that mangini is a not a good coach and Rex is better. Oh the conspiracy.

Wasn't it your idol, the Tuna, that said you are what your record says you are? That being the case, there's no comparison between the 2 for both regular and post season.

Because this is a Jets board that rallies around the payroll and demonizes anyone not on that payroll.

That's ridiculous. Except for Leon Washington. And laveranues Coles. And Braylon Edwards the first we cut him but now we love him again. And Danny woodhead, he may have been vilified by the board unfairly. But that's it. Except for Jericho Cotchery. And maybe Vilma. But those are the only guys this board turned on after they left. Unless you count ladainian Tomlinson. Or maybe Thomas jones. Other than those guys, who can you point out that was demonized by this board after they left? Name one player. Other than Shaun Ellis.

Yeah it just couldn't be that the majority of the board thinks that mangini is a not a good coach and Rex is better. Oh the conspiracy.

Wasn't it your idol, the Tuna, that said you are what your record says you are? That being the case, there's no comparison between the 2 for both regular and post season.

Bill Parcells' coaching record is 172-130-1, and he took over four Hiroshima-level rebuilds. Best coach ever?

That's ridiculous. Except for Leon Washington. And laveranues Coles. And Braylon Edwards the first we cut him but now we love him again. And Danny woodhead, he may have been vilified by the board unfairly. But that's it. Except for Jericho Cotchery. And maybe Vilma. But those are the only guys this board turned on after they left. Unless you count ladainian Tomlinson. Or maybe Thomas jones. Other than those guys, who can you point out that was demonized by this board after they left? Name one player. Other than Shaun Ellis.

Hahaha. The Rex-is-a-buffoon-and-I-knew-it-all-along posts will be hysterical two years from now, the same way the Herm-is-a-buffoon-and-I-knew-it-all-along posts are now.

Bill Parcells' coaching record is 172-130-1, and he took over four Hiroshima-level rebuilds. Best coach ever?

Care to address my actual point regarding mangini vs rex? u know that thing about u are what your record says you are, that point the mighty one has endorsed?

No one said he was better, per se. Just that Mangini wasn't worse. When Mangini left after four years, he left behind a decent core. If Rex got fired this year, he'd have left behind Mo Wilkerson, a couple of Mangini's guys, and a train wreck.

So Tom, if Rex inherited a decent core from Mangini, please explain how Rex did so much more with it then Mangini ever did?

Mangini starts the season 8-3 until his one-year rental QB blows out his arm:

Jets fans-- "Fire him! He sucks!"

Rex Ryan goes 6-10, getting torched against every decent team, playing a quarterback that the entire earth knew was awful:

Jets fans-- "Rex is awesome!!!"

Rex is 34-30 with 2 playoffs in 4 years

Mangini is 23-25 with 1 playoff in 3 years 

and that's not even getting into Rex's defensive rankings.  Mangini did come from the defensive side too... 

There are numbers to back up the idea that Rex is better. 

At least he's not a rat. the whole league knew belly was cheating, Mangini was the one who ratted him out. As Jets fans we often neglect to examine what a gutless move that was by Eric Mangini. 

Rex is 34-30 with 2 playoffs in 4 years

and that's not even getting into Rex's defensive rankings. Mangini did come from the defensive side too...

At least he's not a rat. the whole league knew belly was cheating, Mangini was the one who ratted him out. As Jets fans we often neglect to examine what a gutless move that was by Eric Mangini.

Yeah for a guy whose priority was to acquire high character players, he didn't show much himself.

Rex is 34-30 with 2 playoffs in 4 years

and that's not even getting into Rex's defensive rankings.  Mangini did come from the defensive side too... 

So of 108 total games there is a six game differential between the two.

So now Mangini was a bad coach because he snitched on the Pats? This place is a lollercoaster.

No doesn't make him a bad coach, but no one likes a tattle tale

So of 108 total games there is a six game differential between the two.

its not a huge margin but it is a way to compare these coaches. Rex is a creative defensive mind, no one says that about Eric Mangini. His D's were crap without Kris Jenkins. 

Rex Ryan goes 6-10, getting torched against every decent team, playing a quarterback that the entire earth knew was awful:

Rotfl always a finger on the pulse of the fanbase, this guy. 

No doesn't make him a bad coach, but no one likes a tattle tale

its not a huge margin but it is a way to compare these coaches. Rex is a creative defensive mind, no one says that about Eric Mangini. His D's were crap without Kris Jenkins. 

Hey-if Belichick is stupid enough to try the cheating tactic on his own former assistant-who he knew full well was aware of the tactic-then he deserves to get busted.

Xs and Os, Mangini was very smart. It was in communicating to players that he struggled.

do you need that as a head coach of a professional football team? can't you delegate that to your minions on the offensive and defensive coaching staffs?

So Tom, if Rex inherited a decent core from Mangini, please explain how Rex did so much more with it then Mangini ever did?

Mangini coached three seasons.  he went 10-6, 4-12, 9-7.  In his last season (9-7) he coached the team to an 8-3 record before Brett Favre, too arrogant to sit with an injury for fear of losing his NFL starting streak record, sank the team with int after int.  Prior to the Favre injury, the jets had a five game winning streak in which they beat the Patriots in overtime and beat the undefeated Titans.  He was fired following a winning season, and the roster he built was led to the AFCG the next year by Rex Ryan, who, for his part has had two non-winning seasons in a row and still holds his job. 

Mangini coached three seasons.  he went 10-6, 4-12, 9-7.  In his last season (9-7) he coached the team to an 8-3 record before Brett Favre, too arrogant to sit with an injury for fear of losing his NFL starting streak record, sank the team with int after int.  Prior to the Favre injury, the jets had a five game winning streak in which they beat the Patriots in overtime and beat the undefeated Titans.  He was fired following a winning season, and the roster he built was led to the AFCG the next year by Rex Ryan, who, for his part has had two non-winning seasons in a row and still holds his job. 

Herm went 10-4, then Pennington got hurt and he went 4-12 and got fired. Pennington returned to health and Mangini made it to the playoffs (and lost) as a rookie head coach. Next year, the wheels fell off. He never should've gotten the third year.

He didn't coach that team to 8-3, Brett Favre willed it there before his arm fell off. Then that team immediately reverted to the 4-12 team he really did coach up the previous year. He came on like an authoritarian without the resume of credentials to back it up, and the team tuned him out his rookie season. Favre was the only thing that could've saved him, and it didn't work. They finish 9-7.

Rex takes over the same team, replaces Favre with a rookie Sanchez, goes 9-7 and wins two playoff games from there. Which is two more than Mangini ever won. Followed that up with an 11-5 record and another two playoff wins. Again, with Mark Sanchez.

Rex has his faults, quite a few of them, but there's no way you can pretend Mangini was a better coach than he was.

Mangini was better than Rex on personnel matters, I'll give him that. In fact, Mangini is better at personnel than he he as coaching. A lot better. I don't know why he doesn't try his hand at that instead of coaching. Coaching requires some human skills, and Mangini actually manages to have less personality than Belichick - without any of the football savvy.

that Favre year still pisses me off..EVEYONE knew he was hurt, and we lost close games. If he is benched we end up in playoffs..

that Favre year still pisses me off..EVEYONE knew he was hurt, and we lost close games. If he is benched we end up in playoffs..

Because Kellen Clemens was going to lead them there?

Herm went 10-4, then Pennington got hurt and he went 4-12 and got fired. Pennington returned to health and Mangini made it to the playoffs (and lost) as a rookie head coach. Next year, the wheels fell off. He never should've gotten the third year.

Now who's trolling? A new head coach, one year off a playoff appearance, should have been fired after two seasons? And Pennington somehow elevated Mangini his first year, but not in his second year? I'm not sure I understand your point--did Pennington mask Mangini's suckiness one year but not the next?

He didn't coach that team to 8-3, Brett Favre willed it there before his arm fell off.

Christ.

Then that team immediately reverted to the 4-12 team he really did coach up the previous year. He came on like an authoritarian without the resume of credentials to back it up, and the team tuned him out his rookie season

But Rex, whose team has tuned him out two seasons running, who is about to embark on another (likely) losing season, is given the benefit of the doubt in that his team will "revert" to what? To the team Rex inherited? Because the longer the Rex has coached the team, the team has gotten worse. If Mangini shouldn't have gotten a third season, then there is significantly less reason to have given Rex a fifth.

Favre was the only thing that could've saved him, and it didn't work. They finish 9-7.

Pennington "saved" Mangini his first year, but not the second, and Favre saved Mangini his third year. Also, Tom Brady saved Bill Bellichick in New England, except for that one year that Matt Cassel saved Bill Belichick. You're saying that Mangini was a better coach when his quarterback played well, but that Mangini's real team is the one that sucks when the QB sucks.

Rex takes over the same team, replaces Favre with a rookie Sanchez, goes 9-7 and wins two playoff games from there. Which is two more than Mangini ever won. Followed that up with an 11-5 record and another two playoff wins. Again, with Mark Sanchez.

Suspiciously, you stop your Rex v Mangini comparison after Rex's first two seasons. I wonder why? Oh! Because the wheels fell off the last two seasons, perhaps? The 8-8 debacle which began with Burress-Holmes-Mason (Rex's hand-picked receiving corps) turning the huddle into Cell Block 3, and ended with Santonio Holmes waging a mutiny, and the 6-10 season which was as awful and putrid and non-competitive a Jets team as has been seen around here since Kotite. Why was this particular team so bad? Because it was 100% Rex's team: His players. His philosophy. His OC. His QB. His defense. The team reverted to Rex's vision.

Rex has his faults, quite a few of them, but there's no way you can pretend Mangini was a better coach than he was.

The end result will be the same. In five years, you'll remember Rex the same way you remember Herm.

Now who's trolling? A new head coach, one year off a playoff appearance, should have been fired after two seasons? And Pennington somehow elevated Mangini his first year, but not in his second year? I'm not sure I understand your point--did Pennington mask Mangini's suckiness one year but not the next?

Christ.

Mangini got the rookie head coach bump, then flopped to 4-12 in his second season. He completely lost the entire team. As a group, they tuned out his BS authoritarian approach the same way McDaniels got tuned out. There's only one Belichick, and pretending to be him ends in failure.

But Rex, whose team has tuned him out two seasons running, who is about to embark on another (likely) losing season, is given the benefit of the doubt in that his team will "revert" to what? To the team Rex inherited? Because the longer the Rex has coached the team, the team has gotten worse. If Mangini shouldn't have gotten a third season, then there is significantly less reason to have given Rex a fifth.

Pennington "saved" Mangini his first year, but not the second, and Favre saved Mangini his third year. Also, Tom Brady saved Bill Bellichick in New England, except for that one year that Matt Cassel saved Bill Belichick. You're saying that Mangini was a better coach when his quarterback played well, but that Mangini's real team is the one that sucks when the QB sucks.

Rex won four playoff games and dropped only as low as 6-10 in his four year. Mangini won zero playoff games, and dropped to 4-12 in his second year. And I'm sure Pennington got hurt in that second year, too. Clemens played a lot, and I don't think it was because Mangini benched him. Plus, Pennington got hurt a lot, so that's probably what happened.

But that's what makes Favre ruined Mangini so hysterical. Favre is only reason that team won more than four games in Mangini's last season, largely by ignoring Schottenheimer's offense and playing the way he wanted to play. The idea that Kellen Clemens was going to come in and lead that team to the playoffs is priceless!

Suspiciously, you stop your Rex v Mangini comparison after Rex's first two seasons. I wonder why? Oh! Because the wheels fell off the last two seasons, perhaps? The 8-8 debacle which began with Burress-Holmes-Mason (Rex's hand-picked receiving corps) turning the huddle into Cell Block 3, and ended with Santonio Holmes waging a mutiny, and the 6-10 season which was as awful and putrid and non-competitive a Jets team as has been seen around here since Kotite. Why was this particular team so bad? Because it was 100% Rex's team: His players. His philosophy. His OC. His QB. His defense. The team reverted to Rex's vision.

The end result will be the same. In five years, you'll remember Rex the same way you remember Herm.

Here's the thing: I would've been fine with the Jets firing Rex after last year. But there's no way I'll remember him like Herm. Unlike the three Jets coaches that preceded him, Rex actually came to the job as a highly qualified coordinator. Mangini was Belichick's puppet of a DC for one season, and Herm never held a coordinator job. Both men were given the job for their administrative abilities, rather than their football acumen. And, granted, that's where Rex is lacking.

But unlike Herm and Mangini, Rex will go on to have a very successful coaching career in the NFL long after he leaves the Jets. Because unlike Herm and Mangini, he's actually qualified to coach football.

bit, spygate gave us weeks of hilarity at the pats expense.  what is better than that ?  we don't get a ring if they ever win, we are just fans the best we can ever hope for is to be entertained

at least mangini was right, and had evidence.

the dog pile of accusations that came after were more "tattletale"

Lombardi and another former GM raked them over the coals with accusations and innuendo.  former panthers GM ? I forget

how would you feel losing to a cheater ?

I'd be pissed

You guys are free to dislike Rex all you like, but pretending the 49ers new coaching intern is a better coach than Rex is a joke. Mangini is Bill Belichick's incompetent former buddy. That's it. It's like saying John Geiger is a good CB because he hangs with Revis.

Rex is a better Coach ... Mangini is a better Head Coach .

lol wut?

Do I really have to explain this to you ?

Rex is a Very good defensive Coordinator .....Defensive coordinators do not have any of the duties of a Head Coach who is responsible for the ENTIRE team. A good head football coach preaches his philosophy to his coordinators and they coach up the players and run the practices. The head coach evaluates his coaches to make sure things are going as planned. He is also the last call on personell decisions as to how makes the team and who does not. Much more administrative work for a head coach and untimately he is responsible for just about everything.

Watching Rex on the sidelines while the offense is on the field is nothing short of painfull his body language makes it seem he has no idea WTF is going on. This is not the actions of a Head Coach its the actions of a coach who tends to ignore the offense. I know if Im a head football coach I make every effort to know WTF if going on at all times so If I need to step in and over ride a coordinator Im fully capable of doing so. I dont think Rex Is capable of calling an offensive play not because of knowledge but because I dont think he pays enough attention to WTF is actully in the offensive play book. In critical situations it pains me to see Rex staring in at his OC and hope they make the right decision hes got something similar to a deer in the headlights look.

Thats the difference between a football coach and a Head Football Coach and up to this point Rex has failed at the HFC which in fact is his freakin job

Does Mangini draft Sanchez?  Seems like he had the good sense to move out of that spot...

Hard to tell.  Derek Anderson had that solid 2007 season and afterwards signed a 3-year extension with the Browns.  He was injured for most of 2008 but was still penciled in to compete as the starter with Brady Quinn in '09, as they didn't really make any effort to acquire any other QB's, neither through free agency nor the draft.  Mangini made the deal with the Jets in part to snag some of the Jet players he'd coached, including Brett Ratliff.

If he was still the Jets coach its impossible to tell what he'd have planned to do at the QB position.  But the Browns trading out of the 5th spot doesn't necessarily mean he was anti-Sanchez.

Archived