Clowney Ran 4.46?

Lizard King

:eusa_drool:

While one prominent SEC star is adding questions to his future NFL draft stock, another is adding chapters to an already sizable legend.

Via the Sporting News, a teammate of South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney said he ran a 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds.

Running back Mike Davis initially wrote “Think Clowney ran a 4.46,” but has apparently since deleted the tweet. The Gamecocks just finished summer workouts, which included 40 testing.

While it seems outlandish to think the 6-foot-6, 274 pound Clowney could run such a time, he’s been stunning people with his physical gifts for some time.

His hit on Michigan running back Vincent Smith in last year’s Outback Bowl might be one of the best plays I’ve ever seen, and it’s possible that Smith’s helmet did a 4.2 on its way off Smith’s head that day.

Clowney’s a decent bet to be the top pick in next year’s draft. He would have likely been the top pick this year if he had been allowed to enter.

And that would be true even if he ran a 4.6 at his size, which makes this latest time extraneous, even if apocryphal.

:eusa_drool:

While one prominent SEC star is adding questions to his future NFL draft stock, another is adding chapters to an already sizable legend.

Via the Sporting News, a teammate of South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney said he ran a 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds.

Running back Mike Davis initially wrote “Think Clowney ran a 4.46,” but has apparently since deleted the tweet. The Gamecocks just finished summer workouts, which included 40 testing.

While it seems outlandish to think the 6-foot-6, 274 pound Clowney could run such a time, he’s been stunning people with his physical gifts for some time.

His hit on Michigan running back Vincent Smith in last year’s Outback Bowl might be one of the best plays I’ve ever seen, and it’s possible that Smith’s helmet did a 4.2 on its way off Smith’s head that day.

Clowney’s a decent bet to be the top pick in next year’s draft. He would have likely been the top pick this year if he had been allowed to enter.

And that would be true even if he ran a 4.6 at his size, which makes this latest time extraneous, even if apocryphal.

I almost never am agreeable with trading up for a football player, especially giving up a bunch of #1 picks to do so, but in Clowney's case I would.  That kid has the potential to rewrite the record books.  I'd almost be in favor of tanking the whole season just to get him.

Anyone who thinks the Jets are going to be bad enough to get anywhere near Clowney is out of there friggin mind. The worst this team will be is 7-9, the absolute worst. There is a better chance of this team going 13-3 than there is 3-13. Rex is far too good of a defensive mind to allow this team to be anything less than 7-9 barring crazy injuries. The fact that buttfumbler won't be starting is worth at least 2 games over last season, at least.

Anyone who thinks the Jets are going to be bad enough to get anywhere near Clowney is out of there friggin mind. The worst this team will be is 7-9, the absolute worst. There is a better chance of this team going 13-3 than there is 3-13. Rex is far too good of a defensive mind to allow this team to be anything less than 7-9 barring crazy injuries. The fact that buttfumbler won't be starting is worth at least 2 games over last season, at least.

Agreed, but a guy can dream, can't he.  Can you imagine plugging Clowney in at OLB with the DL that this team has?  He's break the sacks record for certain and terrorize opposing QBs as long as he played (if he stayed healthy and out of trouble).

2012 NY JETS: 6-10

2012 NY JETS: 6-10

This was with the worst QB play in perhaps the history of the NFL. Geno cannot possibly be that bad. Defense should be improved, offense overall should be improved. 2013 team will be at least 2-3 games better than 2012, BANK!

We'll have to start benching players with all the DE's we've been drafting. I think we're good on DL, and no way we are a top 8 pick. Case closed. BAP every year and we'll be fine. WR/ S/ TE and OLB are the 4 positions that still need to be plugged. It's a shame that in a draft so deep at WR/S/TE we came away empty :mad0259: Really hope some quality camp cuts can help us

We'll have to start benching players with all the DE's we've been drafting. I think we're good on DL, and no way we are a top 8 pick. Case closed. BAP every year and we'll be fine. WR/ S/ TE and OLB are the 4 positions that still need to be plugged. It's a shame that in a draft so deep at WR/S/TE we came away empty :mad0259: Really hope some quality camp cuts can help us

Not if none of those picks are quality WRs, Safeties, TEs or OLBs.  One can't just blindly always go on BAP.  Need has to be figured in at some point.   You can pick up some good TES and Safeties in FA, but not WRs and OLBs, at least not elite ones.

Clowney Says Opposing QBs Are 'Scared' To Face Him
At an SEC Media Day, South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney talks about the fear he sees in Clemson's Tajh Boyd

HOOVER, Ala. -- South Carolina defensive end and Heisman Trophy hopeful Jadeveon Clowney said he's getting more and more comfortable speaking with the media, and it showed on Tuesday when he said Clemson's Tajh Boyd and three SEC quarterbacks were "scared" to face him and the Gamecocks defensive line.

"I can tell Tajh Boyd is scared back there," Clowney said. "He ain't no sitting duck, but you can see in his eyes that he's scared of our D-linemen."

Clowney recorded a career-high 4.5 sacks in the regular-season finale against rival Clemson last season as the Gamecocks beat the Tigers 27-17 in Death Valley. Boyd threw two interceptions and was sacked six times in the game.

"We know that coming into the game that we have him shook already," Clowney explained. "We get a couple hits on him and it changes the whole game. He's scared every time we play them. I know he's probably listening to this right now, but I'm just telling the truth, man."

Clowney, who is a member of both the Lombardi and Bronko Nagurski watch lists this season, said he doesn't taunt other players on the field other than to say, "Block me." But the 6-foot-6, 247-pound athlete knows fear when he sees it in an opponent's eyes. He said he saw it in Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray, former Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilsonand a third SEC quarterback he didn't name.

"You can look at a guy and tell that he's scared," Clowney said. "If he's staring at me before the ball is snapped and he's staring at me every play before the ball is snapped, oh we got him. I tell the players that he's shook."

A likely top pick in the 2014 NFL draft, Clowney finished with 54 tackles in 2012, including a South Carolina record 23.5 for loss. The consensus All-American had 13 sacks on his way to being named the SEC's Defensive Player of the Year.

Clowney also said Tuesday he ran a 4.46 in the 40-yard dash.

Equally important to coach Steve Spurrier: Clowney has avoided some of the pratfalls of that fame. He hasn't made headlines for off-the-field troubles, unlike some of his peers.

"Jadeveon has done an excellent job staying out of the limelight all summer," Spurrier said at Southeastern Conference media days. "He's been a good teammate.

"He's been there for the workouts. He's been there doing what he's supposed to do."

Clowney, who was sixth in the Heisman voting as a sophomore, shrugs off talk of being the rare defensive player to win the coveted prize this season. Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o finished second last season.

"That's not really a goal for me," said Clowney, whose table drew easily the biggest crowd of the day. "A goal for me is winning the SEC. That's our biggest goal right now."

He won the Hendricks Award as the nation's top defensive end and joined George Rogersas the Gamecocks' only unanimous All-Americans. Clowney has 21 sacks, 35.5 tackles for loss and eight forced fumbles in 13 career starts.

He also has The Hit.

Clowney, the SEC defensive player of the year, made one of last season's signature plays. His hit on Michigan's Vincent Smith drew millions of YouTube views after he knocked the runner on his back with a helmet-toppling smack, then reached out with one hand to snare the ball.

SEC quarterbacks took notice. So did much of college football.

"Have I seen it? Wasn't it like the top play [on ESPN] for a couple of weeks?" Missouri quarterback James Franklin said. "Yes, sir. It was crazy just when he hit him and he has really long arms so when he reached out and picked the ball up, I thought he was about to run it back for a touchdown."

Clowney had 1.5 sacks against the Tigers last season.

He had one against Florida, too. Gators coach Will Muschamp, a former defensive coordinator, has a preference over seeing a player from that side of the ball winning the Heisman.

"I'd like to see him come out early [for the NFL] before our game," Muschamp said. "He's an outstanding player. He's a guy you better account for every snap. He's an explosive guy."

And he is definitely a defensive player. Not a two-way guy like Michigan cornerback Charles Woodson, who won the 1997 Heisman.

Spurrier was asked if there was a chance that Clowney could play on offense. His deadpan response: "Not really. We got a bunch of offensive players that are pretty good."

Clowney said he had a quiet summer of keeping things simple and hanging out with his group of friends from high school.

His recent training table didn't feature steak and potatoes but an old favorite after getting down to about 256 pounds.

"I picked up six pounds in two days the other day, eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all day," Clowney said. "It was killing my throat. I had to drink a lot of water, but I ate like six peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch and dinner."

Next on the menu, he hopes: Opposing quarterbacks.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9483778/jadeveon-clowney-says-sec-quarterbacks-scared-face-him

Not if none of those picks are quality WRs, Safeties, TEs or OLBs.  One can't just blindly always go on BAP.  Need has to be figured in at some point.   You can pick up some good TES and Safeties in FA, but not WRs and OLBs, at least not elite ones.

I understand where you're coming from, however, this years class did not have any of those positions ranked at #9 or #13. Next year may be different. The closest was Eifert at #13, but that would have been a reach. We got the best CB, Top 2 DL and top rated QB(in October/Nov)  in the first 2 rds. I think the drafting of Aboushi was a place we could have filled a need in the 5th. There were some Safeties a WR and maybe even a TE at that point. That being said, they got Bush and Allen last year and maybe they feel these 2 can be the answer in year 2. Winslow might have been on their minds during the draft knowing they could bring in a starter for minimum salary. I think they feel Kerley and Hill will have a better year 2 performance than a rookie WR. Holmes gives us a #1A type of receiver. We are going to run the rock this year with the occasional bomb when they load the box.

Am really going to enjoy watching our young guys get playing time this year. Hill, Davis, Richardson and Milliner especially.... Strap 'em up!!

Archived