Joe McKnight MERGED

T0mShane

Id agree if I didnt think he was getting pressure from the league. The guy got busted carrying bullets that serve one purpose- kill a human. Id imagine the league is a bit sensitive with this now.

He'll testify that he wasn't carrying the bullets, but that they were the driver's. And they seem to be confident that will hold up. That should be the end of this issue. Hopefully he's learned enough that there won't be a next one, but I expect him to be on the roster this year.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh pipe down. Lets not make this political. But yes, there are folks that use guns and bullets to hunt. Generally hollow points(which are illegal to buy) dont serve that purpose. There's a big difference in Goodson's case and Damien Robinson, if you remember what happened with him.

edit- nvm, Robinson bought the gun legally, but was illegal to carry in NJ.

Point still stands though regarding having a legal gun and legal bullets vs driving around with hollow points.

Not to pile on with Broadway Joe, but they aren't illegal everywhere.  They aren't even really illegal in NJ.  They are legal to purchase and transfer from point of sale to home. http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_hollow.html Presumably this does not include keeping them in a pistol in the glove box while driving home after a night of drinking, but...

One of the first articles about the Goodson case went into pretty deep detail about how many target shooters prefer hollow points, but that got shuffled to the back of the story. I'm sure I read it here on JN if you look back to the date he got picked up. 

Unless he is recovering from some offseason surgery or malady that I am not aware of, I think we need to cut this guy.  He is too far into his career to be displaying such a lack of professionalism as to come to camp out of shape and/or not ready to compete.

Not for nothing, but McKnight very well could have had an injury or some sort of condition (besides being a puss) that didn't allow him to complete or even do any of the test, rendering him physically unable to perform.  It's happened to hundreds of players who've had surgery or literally anything that caused him to miss the workout; he could very well be in shape and light the thing up in a couple days whenever it clears.  On the other hand, he could just be f*cking lazy and be out of shape.  Still think after all the years on these sites ya'll would wait a day or two to see what the reason is before calling for heads.

Good point.  

But lets be honest, who cares?  The guy was a good kick returner.  Thats it.  And his penchant for fumbling would negate half of his great returns to begin with.

RB's are a dime a dozen.  I havent looked at the FA list, but I'm sure there are plenty of options out there in case McKnight and Goodson cant go.  So the real concern is kick offs...which I'm pretty sure wont be hard to replace.

Good point.  

But lets be honest, who cares?  The guy was a good kick returner.  Thats it.  And his penchant for fumbling would negate half of his great returns to begin with.

RB's are a dime a dozen.  I havent looked at the FA list, but I'm sure there are plenty of options out there in case McKnight and Goodson cant go.  So the real concern is kick offs...which I'm pretty sure wont be hard to replace.

Michael friggin Turner is still available.  Not that I want him but he's super durable; he hasn't missed a game in three straight seasons.  Last season, he had his career highs in receptions, targets and receiving touchdowns. He scored once every 22 carries, the highest touchdown-per-carry rate of any running back with at least 200 carries last season.  Plus he's fumbled the fewest number of times of any back since 2007.  Free agent and no one wants him.

He'll testify that he wasn't carrying the bullets, but that they were the driver's. And they seem to be confident that will hold up. That should be the end of this issue. Hopefully he's learned enough that there won't be a next one, but I expect him to be on the roster this year.

This.  It was the driver's car and the gun was in the glove compartment.  All signs point to it being his gun.  Don't get me wrong, Goodson is clearly still an idiot and is likely looking at some sort of short suspension, but the only things that likely have anything to do with him will be the weed and being completely obliterated.  If that's the case, there's no reason the Jets are going to send him packing for that.  Every team in the league, Jets included, have kept around far worse offenders than that in the past.

Good point.  

As long as I never have to see Cromartie back there returning kicks this season I'll be fine.  My balls are in my stomach every time we put one of our most valuable players back there looking to get decapitated.

As long as I never have to see Cromartie back there returning kicks this season I'll be fine.  My balls are in my stomach every time we put one of our most valuable players back there looking to get decapitated.

Tampa's got Revis returning punts...that im sure will end will if it continues.

No chance Rex allows this anymore.  These days It would be the equivalent of Rex telling Revis to return punts if he were still here.

Punt and kick returns are important.  I don't think that Cromartie is so irreplaceable that he can't return. I'm more concerned with the fact he seems careless with the ball than any injury concerns. 

They're only important for us because of how important field position has been.  To most teams its not a big deal.  Besides, we've gotten a lot of KR and PR yardage out of relative no-namers.  Why send out your 2nd best defensive player (behind Muhammad Wilkerson) when there's no necessity to do so? 

With Revis gone, Cro absolutely IS irreplaceable to this team.  Unless you trust Milliner and Kyle Wilson to handle things on the outside, which neither have proven to do so yet.

No chance Rex allows this anymore.  These days It would be the equivalent of Rex telling Revis to return punts if he were still here.

Yeah, I seriously doubt we'll be seeing any more of that outside of perhaps the most rare of occasions. Even without McKnight, on the roster there are Goodson, Kerley, Gates and Wilson who all have experience as returners.

Michael friggin Turner is still available.  Not that I want him but he's super durable; he hasn't missed a game in three straight seasons.  Last season, he had his career highs in receptions, targets and receiving touchdowns. He scored once every 22 carries, the highest touchdown-per-carry rate of any running back with at least 200 carries last season.  Plus he's fumbled the fewest number of times of any back since 2007.  Free agent and no one wants him.

There's a couple of names out there if they are desperate.  I think Ivory and Powell are fine..but I get the need to have another on the roster. 

Right?  Although, the guy is dynamic with the ball.  I wouldnt mind if they used him the way they did vs. Indy in the playoffs in 2010.  They needed a big return and he delivered.

They're only important for us because of how important field position has been.  To most teams its not a big deal.  Besides, we've gotten a lot of KR and PR yardage out of relative no-namers.  Why send out your 2nd best defensive player (behind Muhammad Wilkerson) when there's no necessity to do so? 

With Revis gone, Cro absolutely IS irreplaceable to this team.  Unless you trust Milliner and Kyle Wilson to handle things on the outside, which neither have proven to do so yet.

They have plenty of corners and I think the board is overrating Cromartie by a great deal.  He is a very good corner.  Big ******* deal.  They have plenty of decent corners and why can't Wilson handle the outside?  He did it last year.  Milliner is a first round pick. Why shouldn't he be able to handle it?  A return is a play.  It is not a suicide mission.  The same guys that cry about guys like Cro returning kicks will moan about his lack of run support. He's as likely to get hurt taking on a pulling G or TE as returning a kick.  Take the skirt off him.

They have plenty of corners and I think the board is overrating Cromartie by a great deal.  He is a very good corner.  Big ******* deal.  They have plenty of decent corners and why can't Wilson handle the outside?  He did it last year.  Milliner is a first round pick. Why shouldn't he be able to handle it?  A return is a play.  It is not a suicide mission.  The same guys that cry about guys like Cro returning kicks will moan about his lack of run support. He's as likely to get hurt taking on a pulling G or TE as returning a kick.  Take the skirt off him.

While I get what you're saying and don't entirely disagree with the premise, it's not even really necessary because they have numerous other players on the squad who can fill the role.  Besides, while Cro has shown an ability to give the occasional big return, when they actually started giving them more and more, he actually wasn't doing such a fantastic job, so I'm not sure he's really suited to be a full time returner anyway.

While I get what you're saying and don't entirely disagree with the premise, it's not even really necessary because they have numerous other players on the squad who can fill the role.  Besides, while Cro has shown an ability to give the occasional big return, when they actually started giving them more and more, he actually wasn't doing such a fantastic job, so I'm not sure he's really suited to be a full time returner anyway.

I'll buy that.  IMO, tie or close goes to the less important player that will make the roster. OTOH, I am not deathly afraid of having actual players return. 

I'll buy that.  IMO, tie or close goes to the less important player that will make the roster. OTOH, I am not deathly afraid of having actual players return. 

Milliner returned kicks in school.  I'd rather give him returning duties if he can show he won't fumble.  We have a lot more kick returners than we do corners.  Who do we have after Milliner and Wilson?  And are you seriously going to argue Wilson is anything more than average?  Cro can make a case that he's a top 5 corner in the league. 

And if you have any doubts as to how good Cro has been since he's been here, check this out.  Cromartie is the only guy who has been on Football Outsiders Top 10 list every year since 2010 (using primarily yards allowed per pass):

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/best-cornerback-charting-stats-2012

Take, for instance, the 2011 version of this list. How many repeaters are there in the top 10? Zero. There are two people who make two top-10 lists if we include the 2010 stats, and one of them isn't the New York Jetsicon1.png cornerback you'd expect.

During Antonio Cromartie's first stint on the list, in 2010, the thought was something like "Well Darrelle Revis' shadow improved the entire scope of the team's pass defense." That probably is true, but what's also true is that Cromartie improved noticeably in the second half of 2011, as you saw if you clicked the link to those stats. So, really, we are talking about a cornerback who has spent two-and-a-half seasons playing like an absolute star, statistically. That's an interesting twist for a guy who is primarily known on the Internet for being the butt of every child support joke the unwashed masses could come up with.

Unless he is recovering from some offseason surgery or malady that I am not aware of, I think we need to cut this guy.  He is too far into his career to be displaying such a lack of professionalism as to come to camp out of shape and/or not ready to compete.

He passed it today, so maybe he is just a bad test taker.

Milliner returned kicks in school.  I'd rather give him returning duties if he can show he won't fumble.  We have a lot more kick returners than we do corners.  Who do we have after Milliner and Wilson?  And are you seriously going to argue Wilson is anything more than average?  Cro can make a case that he's a top 5 corner in the league. 

I'm for using the best tool for the job.  If that's Cro so be it.  Wilson doesn't have to be "more than average" All he has to be is as good as he was last year and the D will be fine.  They did what they did last year with Lankster and Trufant playing slot and in fact were missing Trufant - who I thought played better- much of the year.  They also added Berry who spent most of 2012 hurt and will have had a year to learn the system.  They are fine at CB.  Even if Cro goes down. Remember when Revis was somebody we couldn't lose?  BFD.

And if you have any doubts as to how good Cro has been since he's been here, check this out.  Cromartie is the only guy who has been on Football Outsiders Top 10 list every year since 2010 (using primarily yards allowed per pass):

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/best-cornerback-charting-stats-2012

I don't care about any bullsh*t stats.  It's the D and IMO that is on Rex.  Where did they have Cro rated in 2009?  I think he was rated insanely low.  Like not top 50.  That is because he didn't do so well for the Chargers that year.  Rex and company know what they are doing and how to use him.  I'm not saying that they have to use him as KR or that I want to.  I'm just saying if he is the best option by a considerable amount I am okay with it.  I'm not worried about using these guys. 

I don't care about any bullsh*t stats.  It's the D and IMO that is on Rex.  Where did they have Cro rated in 2009?  I think he was rated insanely low.  Like not top 50.  That is because he didn't do so well for the Chargers that year.  Rex and company know what they are doing and how to use him.  I'm not saying that they have to use him as KR or that I want to.  I'm just saying if he is the best option by a considerable amount I am okay with it.  I'm not worried about using these guys. 

Rex relies HEAVILY on his corners for his defense to work.  That's why we've drafted two 1st round corners and spent big money on the position since Rex has been here.  Rex's expertise is the front 7.  He pays a high cost for corners because they're expected to lock down their men. 

Cromartie was used improperly in San Diego, where they used tons of zone fronts.  Rex knew Cro was a pure cover corner who needed to be in man as much as possible.  And its worked.

The one thing Rex HAS instilled in Cromartie is toughness.  Cro was softer than the other side of the pillow when before he got here.  Remember this?

Now look at him (fast-forward to the 1:10 mark):

In addition to playing our lock-down CB spot, (something maaayybe a handful of players can do in this league), we are paying Cromartie $9.5M this year.  

Why not have Geno Smith return kicks? He's athletic and shifty, and getting paid a helluva lot less. 

I don't think at this point you can overrate Cromartie. He's been great - way better than any flashes we've seen from Wilson. To state otherwise is just being purposefully contrarian.

Truth be told, I thought Cro was way underrated (at least for his time as a Jet) up until later this past season.  He never got enough credit for his playing, simply because of playing across the field from Revis, even when Revis wasn't healthy and/or at his best.  It was only once Revis was completely gone for a while that people started to realize how great he was playing.  He's the reason the Jets felt comfortable trading Revis in the first place.

....  I'm just saying if he is the best option by a considerable amount I am okay with it.  I'm not worried about using these guys. 

Fair enough, but people who are close to him in return ability should be available.

I think the Jets got lucky when Revis went down and Cro showed he could fill in as adequately as he did.  He was obtained to cover the #2 receiver man-to-man which he did, but covering the other team's best is a definite step up in class and he did it successfully.  Before Revis got injured, if you asked the Jets "Do you think Cromartie could fill Revis' slot week after week", they would doubt it.

After getting a break like this, I think it would be a shame to give up that advantage by having Cromartie get injured on a return.

Archived