Woody tweets Jets may go with a 90's alternate this year

nj meadowlands

The current throwback uniforms are disgusting, the wrong colors, a different team name and come from an era when there were 400 NY AFL fans and 399 of those are currently deceased. The 80's uniforms are twenty times more appropriate. End of story.

Yes.

OH! helllzz to the NOOO! those gawd awfull logo and colors reminds me too much of the Bruce Coslett days. please nooo! it makes me really sad to know we couldn't compete with anybody. no please Mr Johnson don't do it I never want to see those designs again.

We were the laughing stock of the NFL back in the 90's....people use to literally laugh in my face when they ask me about the Jets game and whom ever they're playing that week. 

Loved the 80's Uni's 90's meh.

Agreed.  But there will always be a lesser affinity for a uniform associated with failure.  80s uniforms are associated with less failure than the 90s uni's.  That and they really are worse-looking.  Don't get the infatuation with adding black wherever and whenever possible, but a Jets uniform should just be green & white...and no shiny pickle pants ever (though to me it's even worse when it's with the home uniforms & they go "all green").  Only time a uniform should be the same color for jerseys & pants is when/if they're both white as the dominant color.  Otherwise they look like costumes or pajamas.  All-red Cardinals, all-black Ravens/Jaguars, all-green Jets, all-blue Tenn. Titans, all-orange Bengals, etc. all look between overdone at best & ridiculous/clownish at worst.

Getting back on topic, here's a pretty good look at the team's uniform history.  It's probably been posted here before but I don't remember: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/944488-the-new-york-jets-and-their-nfl-uniforms-1960-present

(too long & too much effort to copy/paste, unless someone else wants to do it)

I don't even really think the NY Titans uniforms are that bad-looking if either the jersey or pants are white. (White jersey with gold pants looks ok, Navy jersey might look ok with white pants, etc.).  But either way, those are the Titans, not the Jets.  And they were worn for 1 season, not 20 (if you want to ignore the 80s/90s distinctions).  So the navy/gold is arguably the only one that should NOT be used as a Jets throwback uniform.

Would be interesting if the throwback uniform was the 60s uniform with the airplane on the helmet & kelly green + white.  The old superbowl uniforms are probably too similar to the current ones to use as the throwbacks, as the shade of green is really the only major distinction.  They do this with jersey sales in mind, and an airplane on the helmet isn't enough of a difference since almost no one buys a helmet.

But no matter what, if they're going to go throwback now and then, it should be a Jets uniform.  And if the 60s-70s Jets uniform is too similar for the team, in the name of jersey sales, then my vote would be the 80s uniforms.

We were the laughing stock of the NFL back in the 90's....people use to literally laugh in my face when they ask me about the Jets game and whom ever they're playing that week. 

If we're going to base our throwback uniform choice on success vs. failure, then we will not be using throwback uniforms at all.

Getting back on topic, here's a pretty good look at the team's uniform history.  It's probably been posted here before but I don't remember: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/944488-the-new-york-jets-and-their-nfl-uniforms-1960-present

I'm a fan of the 80's unis, having watched the Jets since '81 . I think the 80's unis should be the throwback jerseys as well, maybe alternating with the Titans jerseys.

Thanks for the bleacherreport link. I don't remember ever seeing the green helmet with the classic Jets logo in green on it. Apparently they only played two games with them. I think they would be a nice alternate option to play with once in a while.

If we're going to base our throwback uniform choice on success vs. failure, then we will not be using throwback uniforms at all.

Yeah why don't we just stay with with what we already have. leave well enough alone

I'm a fan of the 80's unis, having watched the Jets since '81 . I think the 80's unis should be the throwback jerseys as well, maybe alternating with the Titans jerseys.

Thanks for the bleacherreport link. I don't remember ever seeing the green helmet with the classic Jets logo in green on it. Apparently they only played two games with them. I think they would be a nice alternate option to play with once in a while.

I thought about that one for a bit myself, except the theoretical idea behind a throwback uniform is that it's supposed to be one of the team's old uniforms, not one of the team's old one-special-game uniforms.

Meh, who cares.  I just don't like the navy jersey with the gold pants.  It's freaking ugly and I don't give a crap if the NY Titans did wear that for the team's first season.  Pretty soon the NY Jets will have worn the NY Titans uniforms for more games than the NY Titans did.  I guess that's only fitting, seeing as the NY Jets have played in NJ for a decade longer than they played in NY.

It's funny because us personally, were very excited to be changing those 80s ones and getting the current uni, since this one now is actually even more retro. But every 80s throwback gets love these days so what do I know. The trucker hat was pretty sweet.

Agreed.  But there will always be a lesser affinity for a uniform associated with failure.  80s uniforms are associated with less failure than the 90s uni's.  That and they really are worse-looking.  Don't get the infatuation with adding black wherever and whenever possible, but a Jets uniform should just be green & white...and no shiny pickle pants ever (though to me it's even worse when it's with the home uniforms & they go "all green").  Only time a uniform should be the same color for jerseys & pants is when/if they're both white as the dominant color.  Otherwise they look like costumes or pajamas.  All-red Cardinals, all-black Ravens/Jaguars, all-green Jets, all-blue Tenn. Titans, all-orange Bengals, etc. all look between overdone at best & ridiculous/clownish at worst.

I don't even really think the NY Titans uniforms are that bad-looking if either the jersey or pants are white. (White jersey with gold pants looks ok, Navy jersey might look ok with white pants, etc.).  But either way, those are the Titans, not the Jets.  And they were worn for like 1 season, not 20 (if you want to ignore the 80s/90s distinctions).  So the navy/gold is arguably the only one that should NOT be used as a Jets throwback uniform.

Thanks for this.  I had never seen this before. 

I should have known it was the despised Parcells that darkened the color of green.  I didn't think I remembered the green being as dark before as it was since Parcells.  I totally agree with your comment about black.  Those futuristic unis are hideous.  It's such a cliched thing imo that black makes them look meaner and tougher.  I remember when they introduced the black.  In those days the black did nothing and the Jets often played like little girls.  I thought the Jets ought to invest in pink unis at the time and if they played like girls, they ought to look like girls and complete the humiliation.  Maybe that would get through to them and they'd start playing tougher.

Aside from the Namath glory years, the 1978-1989 unis were the unis of Walker,Toon, Klecko, Gastineau and I think they looked the best.

Thanks for this.  I had never seen this before. 

I should have known it was the despised Parcells that darkened the color of green.  I didn't think I remembered the green being as dark before as it was since Parcells.  I totally agree with your comment about black.  Those futuristic unis are hideous.  It's such a cliched thing imo that black makes them look meaner and tougher.  I remember when they introduced the black.  In those days the black did nothing and the Jets often played like little girls.  I thought the Jets ought to invest in pink unis at the time and if they played like girls, they ought to look like girls and complete the humiliation.  Maybe that would get through to them and they'd start playing tougher.

Aside from the Namath glory years, the 1978-1989 unis were the unis of Walker,Toon, Klecko, Gastineau and I think they looked the best.

lol

Wesley Walker, Al Toon, Joe Klecko, Mark Gastineau, Lance Mehl, Joe Fields, Marty Lyons, Mickey Shuler, Old Milwaukee commercials, little plastic helmets that you got in gumball machines, sticker books, these are some of my associations with the 80s uniforms.

The Titans? I have none. And those uniforms are Penn State-plain with baby diarrhea highlighting.

from a business standpoint, the titan unis are just plain stupid.  does anyone here actually own one ?

from a fans perspective, the 90's were decent unis but bad teams so no thanks

the 85 uni should be the throwback and one eye walker should lead the team out of the tunnel

I don't even really think the NY Titans uniforms are that bad-looking if either the jersey or pants are white. (White jersey with gold pants looks ok, Navy jersey might look ok with white pants, etc.).  But either way, those are the Titans, not the Jets.  And they were worn for 1 season, not 20 (if you want to ignore the 80s/90s distinctions).  So the navy/gold is arguably the only one that should NOT be used as a Jets throwback uniform.

Great breakdown...did you do a similar project for fashion school?

Titans are bigger than Giants, and it is for this reason that Woody and his inferiority complex ever tried to spin "the Titans of NY" as a more relevant throwback for the Jets, than the NY Sack Exchange era uni's.

The 80s and Titans are cool because the Jets had some success in the 80's and the Titans is historic and vintage. Idk why you would ever want to flash back to the 90's. I'm just now begining to forget it.

Archived