For All You OL Loving Fans - Analysis of Stephen Peterman

JoeKlecko

Following is an interesting evaluation by former OL Mike Nolan on Stephen Peterman.  If you want to see all the clips, you'll have to click on the link.  This site wouldn't allow me to post the article with all the clips.

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/07/turn-on-the-jets-film-room-stephen-peterman-starter-or-back-up/

Turn On The Jets Film Room – Stephen Peterman: Starter or Back-Up?

10Stephen-Peterman.jpg

By Mike "Tiny" Nolan.

July 17, 2013
Our resident Offensive Lineman, Mike Nolan, steps into the film room to take a look at Offensive Guard Stephen Peterman to determine if he is best suited as a starter or back-up for the New York Jets in 2013.  Be sure to give Mike a follow on twitter and Turn On The Jets a follow on facebook. Also make sure to check out the rest of our film breakdown series here 

Although the jury is still out on how well the New York Jets addressed their needs this offseason, they did a good job adding depth and competition at a few positions.  One such position is offensive guard. With the departure of two starting guards from 2012, the Jets brought in a myriad of players to compete for the two open spots. After signing Willie Colon earlier in free agency, the Jets drafted Brian WintersOday Aboushi, and William Campbell and signed Stephen Peterman all within a few days.  With the Jets front office preaching competition the 2nd guard spot should be up for grabs. 

Looking on paper at the depth chart, it would seem to make sense to have Willie Colon and Stephen Peterman step in as the starting guards. Both are experienced veterans that have played in high powered offenses. While the film backs up this line of thinking for Willie Colon, it tells a different story for Stephen Peterman.

Peterman came into the league as a 3rd round draft pick out of LSU for the Dallas Cowboys in 2005. His career with Dallas was forgetful as he was oft injured and never saw the field on offense. After he was let go by Dallas, Peterman was signed by the Lions and has started at Right Guard for them since 2007. Peterman actually has a similar career arc to Willie Colon in that Peterman was a pretty solid starting offensive lineman until injuries led to a bit of a downfall. Peterman was ranked as an above average starting NFL guard by most publications and fell around the 15-20 range in rankings by sites like Pro Football Focus. In 2010, Peterman hurt his foot and, although he didn’t miss any games, has been on a steady downfall ever since. 

The one silver lining you can find in this injury is that Peterman is a tough guy and played through a lot of pain. However, the injury has led to more negatives than positives. The first thing you notice when you watch film on Peterman is his unorthodox stance. Even though he wasn’t a great athlete to begin with, Peterman has a stance that doesn’t allow any explosion off the line of scrimmage as he has his right foot way back and on the side as opposed to being on the arch of his foot or even on his heel as most offensive line coaches teach. He probably does it for comfort to limit the pain in his foot. 

The first thing coaches teach is to have a good stance. Everything starts with the stance.  Peterman’s inexplosive stance has a strong tendency to carry over into his block. He simply doesn’t have the anchor that he used to have in order to drive people off the line of scrimmage. Although he is better at the second level, he cannot drive people at the point of attack. His best blocks on the LOS are generally stalemates or late seal blocks and his worst blocks lead to tackles for loss or no gain. Let’s look at an example from the Lions’ Week 16 loss against the Falcons:

Here the Lions have 6 offensive linemen in the game and are running inside zone to the left. Stephen Peterman is #66 at right guard. He is responsible for the gap (zone) to his left and will probably be one on one since the tackle next to him is also covered.

The first thing you see is that Peterman barely steps with his left foot and puts himself in a bad position off the snap. Because he doesn’t “gain ground” the defensive tackle can cross his face.

Despite the bad step Peterman is able to recover as the defensive tackle tries to gain leverage in his backside gap. Here a good offensive lineman should be able to finish this block and either seal the defender or drive him off the ball. Instead notice how close Peterman’s feet are. He has no leverage to finish the block.

Because of Peterman’s poor technique and lack of strength, the defender is able to drive Peterman across the line of scrimmage into the hole. All of this happens despite Peterman actually being between the defender and the ball carrier.

The defender sheds Peterman and makes the tackle for no gain.  Peterman can only stand over the pile and watch. 

On the flip side, Peterman has shown the ability to make some pretty good blocks downfield, especially on the second level. There are a few examples of him making some well-timed blocks out in front of screens, which will be essential in Marty Mornhinweg’s offense. Another important part of Mornhinweg’s offense will be the use of zone running schemes. Peterman has plenty of zone experience (More so than Willie Colon actually) and understands the technique and concepts. Here is a good example of him making a key block on the second level:

Here the Lions are on the 3 yard line and will be running inside zone to the left out of the Gun. The Houston Texans are in a base 3-4 alignment. 

Peterman takes his proper left step first, but since he sees the linebacker on the second levels alignment, he steps back into the combo block.

After taking this second step, he continues to work his proper ”track” up field. Although tackle, Gosder Cherilus, comes off the down lineman too early, Peterman stays on his proper track and takes the linebacker as he shows in the backside A gap.

You can see from the wide angle that Peterman takes the linebacker 2 yards into the end zone. This block proves to be a key in springing Mikel Leshoure into the end zone for the game’s first score.

One part of his game that has been completely diminished is his ability to consistently pass protect. According to Pro Football Focus, Peterman led all Offensive Guards in QB hurries in 2012 with 36. Most likely because of his foot problems, Peterman has no anchor and generally can’t be left alone in pass protection. He needs help from the center as bigger pass rushers will put him on roller skates into the quarterback’s lap (And Even Sometimes that doesn’t help!). Peterman isn’t much better against savvier pass rushers either as he can easily be beat by a simple swim or rip move.  And if you want to see how he fairs against a guy with both Power and Speed rush ability, just take a look at the game against Houston to see what J.J. Watt does to him. The sad thing is that you don’t have to be the best player in the NFL to beat Peterman to the Quarterback. Let’s see how Peterman does in a one on one situation with Vikings DL Letroy Guion who has a total of 4 career sacks:

Here the Lions are in an obvious passing situation as it is 3rd down. Letroy Guion is lined up in the A Gap on Peterman’s inside shoulder.

Normally the center would provide help on the down lineman who is closest to him, but because the Vikings are such a good pass rushing team, Peterman is left by himself to handle defensive tackle Letroy Guion. The first thing I see is that Peterman takes a bad pass set. Instead of kicksliding with his proper base under him, Peterman basically back pedals until he makes contact with the rusher. Despite this pass set, he actually isn’t in a bad position once engaged.

After engaging, Peterman begins to lean forward to help stop Guion’s bull rush.  Once Guion notices his shift in weight, he uses a basic swim move to get Peterman to fall on his knees.

By the time Peterman stands back up, Guion gets a big sack on Matt Stafford.  In order to help Peterman, the center or the running back should have helped. For the Jets this could mean players are worried about helping Peterman instead of taking care of other things, like getting out into a check down.

While there are times when Peterman is satisfactory in pass protection, he is completely devoid of any type of consistency. This is something the Jets can’t have with a QB notorious for making mistakes under pressure like Mark Sanchez or a rookie QB like Geno Smith. While his career has been on a downward slope since 2010, it wasn’t until 2012 that it became painfully obvious to Lions fans and the organization that he had to go. This is mostly because his mistakes proved so costly to the team. He gave up QB hurries that led to interceptions, missed blocks in the run game that led to fumbles, and numerous big hits on Matthew Stafford on both sacks and pressures.

When the Jets first signed Peterman, I initially thought it was a good move to sign a veteran NFL starter to fill in at guard. After watching the film, my mindset has changed.  There is a reason why Peterman didn’t generate much interest and was signed for the league minimum. If Stephen Peterman is called on to start, the Jets are in a little bit of trouble. He would be a big step down from either Matt Slauson or Brandon Moore.  Peterman’s role on this team is to add depth and a veteran presence. He is a stop gap player with experience and toughness in case Willie Colon gets hurt or Brian Winters isn’t ready.  Based on the film, I’m not so sure that he can set himself apart from Vlad Ducasse or some of the other rookies. In the end, his experience should help him be the next man in at offensive guard. Although he is not starter material at this point of his career, his weaknesses can be covered up as long as Nick Mangold is healthy, I just wouldn’t expect the Jets to run his way too often. In the end, Willie Colon rested and recovered from his injuries giving him a chance to resurrect his career with the Jets. For Peterman, who played through his injuries, it is too late for him to be an effective starter in the NFL. 

•  

he turned his ankle in the g/w and has been limited ever since. Not playing tonight. 

Well jeez, in that case he might as well just retire right now.  Can you imagine, an NFL player actually incurring some sort of injury which limits him in practice to any degree whatsoever?  And in the almighty training camp no less?  Oh, the horror!

Of course, we all know how quick you were to immediately write off the entire career of every acquisition of Tanny's who didn't prove themselves to be a future HOF inductee the instant they joined the roster, right?  Nothing like a little consistency.

They'll both be on the bikes and Vlad will start

LOL  Joke (I hope)?  Sarcasm (probably)?  Scary, if true.  If Vlad is still on the team and starting then Sanchez DEFINITELY has to start until Winters gets healthy.

Well jeez, in that case he might as well just retire right now.  Can you imagine, an NFL player actually incurring some sort of injury which limits him in practice to any degree whatsoever?  And in the almighty training camp no less?  Oh, the horror!

Of course, we all know how quick you were to immediately write off the entire career of every acquisition of Tanny's who didn't prove themselves to be a future HOF inductee the instant they joined the roster, right?  Nothing like a little consistency.

That's not the reason.  The reason is because he thinks we should have taken a guard at #9 instead of Milliner.  So if Winters sucks it will help his future I-told-you-so posts.  If Winters turns into a very good (or better) guard, then we will have burned a top-10 pick on an interior lineman, in a ridiculously-deep OL draft, and it will be a stupid pick (even if he is a HOF guard).  

Top-10 is where you get your special talents at positions you can't just find in free agency for reasonable cap expenditures.  If you can find an outstanding FA player at a position for well under $10M, you avoid that position at the top of the draft because it's poor value.  If Winters is good, it will make passing up on Warmack look very smart.  And he can't have that happen.

Brian Winters will be a good pick. Just not right away. Instead of attacking me you should attack Stephen Peterman. He blows goats. 

Guard Chance Warmack looked like a rookie at times in his first start. He admittedly used bad technique on some plays against the Redskins that left him feeling “embarrassed.”

On other plays, however, the former Alabama All-American looked like a first-round pick, and the player the Titans expect him to be.

“I had some ups and had some downs,” Warmack said while eating a hot dog in the locker room. "It was a learning experience, the first preseason game. I have three more. Overall, I was happy with it.”

Warmack started at right guard. The Titans ran behind him early, and he made a key block on Shonn Greene’s 19-yard touchdown run. But Warmack also let his man get by him on a play that resulted in quarterback Jake Locker being sacked. There were other slip-ups as well.

“There were some things I did I thought I could get away with as far as technique, and I learned … and I got embarrassed because of that,’’ he said. “I just want to keep getting better.”

To late.  

I think he actually signed a contract with the Boys, then retired.  They have first rights.  We would have to trade for him I think

I was being sarcastic - you should know that by now-I wanted to please Bit

“I had some ups and had some downs,” Warmack said while eating a hot dog in the locker room. "It was a learning experience, the first preseason game. I have three more. Overall, I was happy with it.”

This is awesome.  I don't know what's funnier, eating a hot dog in the locker room, or eating during an interview. 

To late.  

I think he actually signed a contract with the Boys, then retired.  They have first rights.  We would have to trade for him I think

No he didn't.  He agreed to a deal with Cowboys at night over the phone.  After sleeping on it, he changed his mind and never signed a contract.

Titans ran behind warmack for two long td runs. One of them was 19 yards untouched by Shonn Green. No one seems to reference run blocking when grading out an online man anymore. It's all about sacks and hurries. This is because nobody pays attention to lineman unless they give up a sack. A guy like warmack or cooper will add a couple hundred yards to a teams rushing total over a season. And that's a big deal, even it if isn't sexy.

Archived