The Unprecedented Media Assault on the Jets

Jettington

You named 8 guys, one of which is suspended for being a moron and another that was beat out by Vlad. Geno ran out of the back of a friggin endzone, which wouldn't be so alarming if he didn't take two safeties the last time he played real football. 

Note that you didn't mention Garrard, Peterman, Braylon etc. yes Colon has talent but no way in hell he makes it through a whole season, ditto Winslow. 

Sheldon Richardson was a great pick, i'll give Idzik credit for that. On the whole he's not doing so hot. Saying so doesn't mean you should be banned it just means looking at the team objectively. If we weren't Jets fans, we'd laugh at this roster.

So no gm makes mistakes ? Why is polian out of the nfl ?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit said Dewayne Robertson was gonna be a hall of famer lol..wheres that pic of Brenda with D Robs face on her and her arm wrapped around Bit. Sperm?

When I get home Im gonna make my avatar Me in a Drob jersey. I found a picture. You all are gonna love it. 

(by the way i never said he'd be a hall of famer, but let's just pretend for fun) 

When I get home Im gonna make my avatar Me in a Drob jersey. I found a picture. You all are gonna love it. 

(by the way i never said he'd be a hall of famer, but let's just pretend for fun) 

<---Kidding about the hof ;)

Geno runs out of endzone "So No QB makes mistakes?" 

this is the nFL not romper room hand holding time

Sorry you cant dismiss his hits and repeat his misses and call that an argument

Its obvious to most that this is a burn it down rebuild

I cant help it if you and rsj thought this was a playoff

Year and now you are getting cranky

Boo hoo

and why is polian out of football ?

You have to let the year play out to give a proper evaluation of any of the moves by Idzik That also goes for the evaluation of the players- we all want instant gratification and instant opinions though

we have to let the next 2 years play out.  next year is his first year.  then his 2014 rookies need a year to be judged.  I've told my jets fans friends I'm taking this year off emotionally, all the fumbles and int's and losses will just give us better draft picks

anyone hoping to go 9-7 and get a WC on a tie breaker is in for a rude awakening

we have to let the next 2 years play out.  next year is his first year.  then his 2014 rookies need a year to be judged.  I've told my jets fans friends I'm taking this year off emotionally, all the fumbles and int's and losses will just give us better draft picks

anyone hoping to go 9-7 and get a WC on a tie breaker is in for a rude awakening

the hilarious bit is that the extremely quiet offseason/draft picks would be something I'd take as a legitimate criticism, whether I agree with it or not. it's an actual football thing. I don't mind media criticism about actual football things. the Jets have other football things going on with their team besides a QB blackhole. I don't like the RB situation at all, TE is a revolving door of mediocrity + Kellen Winslow Jr., WR is a monster question mark. Our defense is switching schemes, Milliner may or may not be a good idea, Kyle Wilson continues to not be a good idea, etc...

and yet we hear nothing but "QB COMPETITION CIRCUS!1!!!!1!" and "MOMMY IDZIK WON'T TALK TO ME" and "Rex Ryan being a good father for one day is deplorable."

the hilarious bit is that the extremely quiet offseason/draft picks would be something I'd take as a legitimate criticism, whether I agree with it or not. it's an actual football thing. I don't mind media criticism about actual football things. the Jets have other football things going on with their team besides a QB blackhole. I don't like the RB situation at all, TE is a revolving door of mediocrity + Kellen Winslow Jr., WR is a monster question mark. Our defense is switching schemes, Milliner may or may not be a good idea, Kyle Wilson continues to not be a good idea, etc...

and yet we hear nothing but "QB COMPETITION CIRCUS!1!!!!1!" and "MOMMY IDZIK WON'T TALK TO ME" and "Rex Ryan being a good father for one day is deplorable."

agreed 100% and I wonder if they are feeding that to some extent.  because once the football starts, the holes will be there for all to see, and we are due for holmes to act up any day now.

I had that conversation last week, that the beat writers don't need to make stuff up about the jets, they embarrass themselves just fine, but they still make stuff up !!!

the sad part is somewhere there are young fans reading this stuff and believing it

Absolute and utter BS.  Some of you guys should just give up watching football because you're freaking clueless and ridiculous.  In all the Jets boards I've been on over the years, I have never seen the like of posters hammering the GM and players before a regular season game ever happened.  It's absurd.  The board would be better off if many of you were banned.

Richardson doesn't have talent?  Milliner doesn't have talent?  Geno doesn't have talent?  Colon doesn't have talent?  Winters doesn't have talent?  Spadola doesn't have talent?  Ivory and Goodson don't have talent?

Unbelievable.  The sky is falling, the sky is falling.  What a bunch of whiny ass babies.  You guys deserve a perennial 0-16 team.

Holy sh*t man, really?  lmfao

And the worst is, you didnt even read my post.  I clearly said "his only hope is he hits with his picks".  Which is every single player you listed, other than Colon.  lulza.  Ivory and Goodson are career backups that he's taking a leap of faith on and IMO neither players are the type that would keep you from drafting Gurley if he comes out this season, as an example.

So yeah, outside of the draft he added...Colon a veteran hold the fort Guard and 2 back up running backs, which is a dime a dozen position, one in which he traded a pick for and the other is in rehab.  He hasnt exactly hit, per-say, in FA.  Hopefully he did in the draft. 

You're acting like this is the first post you've read of mine, I'm far from the "sky is falling" crowd.  Just giving my take on his offseason.  If these picks dont pan out, it was totally wasted and he doesnt get abolished from it because of Rex Ryan, which was my original point. 

Holy sh*t man, really? lmfao

And the worst is, you didnt even read my post. I clearly said "his only hope is he hits with his picks". Which is every single player you listed, other than Colon. lulza. Ivory and Goodson are career backups that he's taking a leap of faith on and IMO neither players are the type that would keep you from drafting Gurley if he comes out this season, as an example.

So yeah, outside of the draft he added...Colon a veteran hold the fort Guard and 2 back up running backs, which is a dime a dozen position, one in which he traded a pick for and the other is in rehab. He hasnt exactly hit, per-say, in FA. Hopefully he did in the draft.

You're acting like this is the first post you've read of mine, I'm far from the "sky is falling" crowd. Just giving my take on his offseason. If these picks dont pan out, it was totally wasted and he doesnt get abolished from it because of Rex Ryan, which was my original point.

You're a dipsh*t. Here's what Idzik has done--he's come in and unclogged the toilet, and he's going to flush it in roughly four months. He's dumping Holmes, Sanchez, and Rex in one fell swoop. That will be a great day. After that, he'll have $40 mil and a brand new professional head coach to work with, along with a likely top-three pick. He gets to let the new coach pick his free agents.

Tell me, surf-dick, what free agents did you want this year?

You're a dipsh*t. Here's what Idzik has done--he's come in and unclogged the toilet, and he's going to flush it in roughly four months. He's dumping Holmes, Sanchez, and Rex in one fell swoop. That will be a great day. After that, he'll have $40 mil and a brand new professional head coach to work with, along with a likely top-three pick. He gets to let the new coach pick his free agents.

You're so wishy washy with me.  One day you love me, the next you hate.  Its tiring. 

What toilet has he unclogged?  The sh*t storm is worse than last year.  

I havent determined he's a failure, I've said you have to give it time, but he doesnt get a pass on this season like you suggest because of Rex.  

There were tons of FA's out there that could have helped the Jets, I didnt have 1 particular player I thought they needed but I'm sure you name the player or the position and we could have used him.  Bringing in zero doesnt exactly solve anything and thats whats happened so far and a huge reason that the Jets GM is putting what looks to be a sh*t product on the field.  

it seems like a lot of the crticism towards idzik us related to vagina hurt syndrome due to manicimini disease

stop reading the papers and listening to sports radio !

a few posters here can see what idzik is doing, but most were hoping for the playoffs I guess, and now are like the guy at the bar at 4 am who thought he was going to get laid, but now is just drunk and broke and will soon be crying in the parking lot

should be a fun season

I agree with this assessment about Idzik.

This was a write-off year.

Things had to get worse before they got better and if he cleans house after this year as you say, including getting rid of our buffoon of a coach, the organization will be much better off.

The one thing I do find disturbing about Idzik though is his infatuation with Geno Smith. I watched a lot of this kid in college and I was not impressed. I'll be shocked if this kid turns out to be even a servicable starter in the NFL.

That said, I'm willing to give Idzik the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

I agree with this assessment about Idzik.

This was a write-off year.

Things had to get worse before they got better and if he cleans house after this year as you say, including getting rid of our buffoon of a coach, the organization will be much better off.

The one thing I do find disturbing about Idzik though is his infatuation with Geno Smith. I watched a lot of this kid in college and I was not impressed. I'll be shocked if this kid turns out to be even a servicable starter in the NFL.

That said, I'm willing to give Idzik the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

Only Mehta thinks Idzik has an infatuation with Geno. I think Idzik would draft Teddy Bridgewater in 1/1,000th of a second next year if he gets the second overall pick. Geno was simply the best guy on the board the same way Sheldon Richardson was the best guy on the board.

You're so wishy washy with me. One day you love me, the next you hate. Its tiring.

What toilet has he unclogged? The sh*t storm is worse than last year.

I havent determined he's a failure, I've said you have to give it time, but he doesnt get a pass on this season like you suggest because of Rex.

There were tons of FA's out there that could have helped the Jets, I didnt have 1 particular player I thought they needed but I'm sure you name the player or the position and we could have used him. Bringing in zero doesnt exactly solve anything and thats whats happened so far and a huge reason that the Jets GM is putting what looks to be a sh*t product on the field.

If you're bringing in a quality free agent, you're doing it on a multi-year deal. Why would he stick the next coach with a player he might not have any use for? So the Jets can try and squeeze an extra win out this year?

If you're bringing in a quality free agent, you're doing it on a multi-year deal. Why would he stick the next coach with a player he might not have any use for? So the Jets can try and squeeze an extra win out this year?

If you can get a player to help you're team, you do it.  Shouldnt matter who you think the HC is this year or next.  That's terrible logic.  Would resigning Landry matter or Gholston or a receiver like Wallace?  I'd think any coach would be happy to have them.  Besides, I thought he was hiring Bevell so shouldnt he know what his future HC's vision is?  Under this logic, does Idzik not have his own?

Look, I've already said, you clearly got to give him 3-4 years but if he misses on these picks, its an offseason under his belt he failed to make the team better.  If it happens again, then we're really in trouble.  All hypothetical bull sh*t, sure, but its not on Rex Ryan, it will be on Idzik.  Firing Rex will just be his other mistake.  heh

Whats a surf-dick....and how do i most optimally use it in a sentence.

Also, statistic time:

15 teams have more losing seasons in the past four years than the Jets.

Only 6 teams have less losing seasons than the Jets the past four years.

Gain some perspective.

Holy sh*t man, really?  lmfao

And the worst is, you didnt even read my post.  I clearly said "his only hope is he hits with his picks".  Which is every single player you listed, other than Colon.  lulza.  Ivory and Goodson are career backups that he's taking a leap of faith on and IMO neither players are the type that would keep you from drafting Gurley if he comes out this season, as an example.

So yeah, outside of the draft he added...Colon a veteran hold the fort Guard and 2 back up running backs, which is a dime a dozen position, one in which he traded a pick for and the other is in rehab.  He hasnt exactly hit, per-say, in FA.  Hopefully he did in the draft. 

You're acting like this is the first post you've read of mine, I'm far from the "sky is falling" crowd.  Just giving my take on his offseason.  If these picks dont pan out, it was totally wasted and he doesnt get abolished from it because of Rex Ryan, which was my original point. 

I did read your post.  This is what you said:

He went an entire offseason with literally adding zero talent to the team.  Like zero.  Nada.  Zilch.  Not one significant signing that makes the Jets better.  Thats not a good start and it does hurt the team in the future.

His only hope is that he hit with his picks.  

The draft IS part of the offseason.  That's what I was responding to.  Even if you exclude the draft, it's not true that he added zero talent.  Colon, Barnes, Winslow, Ivory, and Goodson are not without talent.  Just because some of them have been career backups, doesn't mean that they're without talent.  You also seem to forget that the Jets didn't have a ton of cap space to go out and sign a bunch of supremely talented players.  The only recourse was to go with cheaper players to try to fill as many holes and needs as possible.  That meant signing players coming off injury, career backups and the like.

In the past you haven't been such a "sky is falling" type, but neither have some of the others who in the last several days whose bent has taken a decidedly negative/critical turn, and this post just sounds like a ton of others I've read over the last several days.  In retrospect, perhaps your post wasn't as decidedly negative and "definitive" as some of the others, and perhaps one of them should have caught my wrath, but your post was the straw that broke the camel's back.  I've had it with the idiotic, posts with exaggerated facts, and declaring that players suck and Idzik sucks before the season has even begun.  Anyone that knows anything at all about the NFL and has watched it for any time KNOWS that you cannot do that.  It's totally nonsensical.

chiming back in here, to targer one area of media criticism that I think is especially unfair is how Rex is criticized for not paying attention to the offense, or being a defensive coordinator with the position of a head coach. This seems to be one of Stephen A. Smith's most frequent criticisms of Rex, but to me this criticism is cosmetic nitpicking and shows a great lack of awareness of how the NFL operates.

It's naive to think that people who are hired as head coaches are hired as ones who possess the knowledge and have the experience to manage all sides of the ball competently at a professional standard. This just isn't the case; coaches almost always come from one side of the ball and that side of the ball is their definitive area of expertise. My best guess is that Sean Payton spends almost no time managing his defense; he is an offensive coach and it shows. And so I don't see why Rex is bashed for being heavily dedicated to the defense; he is one of the best defensive minds in the game right now, and in my view it is better to have a coach who can excell in at least one area of the game than a coach who knows both sides of the ball but can only manage them at a mediocre level. And I'm dreading the state of this team if Rex is fired because make no mistake about it, I expect we will be scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a coach, and this future coach will not know either side of the ball as well as Rex knows defense or worse yet be a college coach with no NFL experience.

3qb3nm.jpg

Rex isn't the issue here. The main issue with these past four Jet teams has been the QB. That is Ryan's fault in the sense that his team sucks and boo that. I get that. OTOH the individuals at QB just clearly have not been up to NFL snuff and getting quality QB play out of a competent QB can rough as it is (because then you have to keep him on the field). Jets fans see this as history repeating itself once again for the franchise without appreciating how massively different and better this time around is. The D is set - there's no questions about it. They should have been completely broken last year and still finished in the top half with the entire context calling for a bottom tier finish. 

I would not be a fan of losing him, as amazing a spectacle T0mGruden or dbevell might be. 

The media loves this team. Football continues to get bigger in this town a overtake baseball...the jets are a just a better story than he Giants.

The Jets are a better story than the Giants because bad news sells more than good news. 

there is a point here that 2 playoffs (AFGCG losses) in 4 years is way above average for NFL head coaches. Even his down years 8-8, 6-10 are not disasters by NFL standards. They are disasters by NY media standards who thinks everything should be like the late 90's yankees or it's a failure. But in other NFL towns they'd kill for 8-8. In NY is a disaster. That much is true, this job is harder than most. Bill Cowher would not have made it through 13 years before getting a playoff win like he did in Pittsburgh. He'd have been fired in year 4 and people would talk about him like they talk about Dave Wannstadt.

Cowher didnt wait 13 years for a playoff win.

This is not about SB wins. Despite your spin, NY media doesnt expect championships from local teams. The media smells blood in the water because they were waiting for Rex to fail after all his initial bluster. Herm and Mangini didnt garner this much venom.

Give me a break. The Jets deserve every ounce of what they are taking broadside right now.

This franchise is an unmitigated joke, owned by a joke, managed by a joke, coached by a joke and rostered with jokes. Even when this team is good, they're a joke.

This franchise is a steaming turd pile on a blanket of fresh snow.

They've managed to upgrade themselves from running joke to laughingstock of the sportsworld with one butt fumble.

Don't worry, Woody will down a couple Xany Bars to calm his nerves and collect his paychecks.

Get used to it, this team will never amount to anything successful.

I did read your post.  This is what you said:

The draft IS part of the offseason.  That's what I was responding to.  Even if you exclude the draft, it's not true that he added zero talent.  Colon, Barnes, Winslow, Ivory, and Goodson are not without talent.  Just because some of them have been career backups, doesn't mean that they're without talent.  You also seem to forget that the Jets didn't have a ton of cap space to go out and sign a bunch of supremely talented players.  The only recourse was to go with cheaper players to try to fill as many holes and needs as possible.  That meant signing players coming off injury, career backups and the like.

In the past you haven't been such a "sky is falling" type, but neither have some of the others who in the last several days whose bent has taken a decidedly negative/critical turn, and this post just sounds like a ton of others I've read over the last several days.  In retrospect, perhaps your post wasn't as decidedly negative and "definitive" as some of the others, and perhaps one of them should have caught my wrath, but your post was the straw that broke the camel's back.  I've had it with the idiotic, posts with exaggerated facts, and declaring that players suck and Idzik sucks before the season has even begun.  Anyone that knows anything at all about the NFL and has watched it for any time KNOWS that you cannot do that.  It's totally nonsensical.

Meh, you went off on one of your, I'm the smartest Football mind in the world and everyone else doesnt know the game rants.  It's getting old.  Only reason I continue to respond to you when you go off like that is because in between those high and mighty posts is some good content.  Its a shame you get so worked up to the point you tell people they shouldnt even watch the game because they dont have as high of an understanding of Football as you. You said some posters would be better off banned.  lmfao  Get over yourself buddy, you dont know more about Football than anyone else around here even though you like to think so...and even if you do, who cares?  Get over it.  

My post was far from negative, clearly, the verdict is still out and I've repeated that numerous times.  Some of these cheap offseason pick ups could hit, I doubt it but if they dont he's completely dependent on his draft.  Which is fine, but if they dont pan out, then it was a wasted offseason.  That's all I'm saying and it was just a simple response to Tom saying he gets a pass because of Rex.  That's just silly.  He may get a pass in the sense that his record wont determine his fate, but he wont get a pass if he wasted an entire offseason not adding talent and it hurts the team in the future.

agreed 100% and I wonder if they are feeding that to some extent.  because once the football starts, the holes will be there for all to see, and we are due for holmes to act up any day now.

Holmes is on the verge of being cut. He needs to play and behave to get another paycheck. He's going to be a surprisingly good soldier all year. Count on it.

He hasn't done anything so far that virtually any poster on this board wouldn't've done. The optimism swirling around him because of that makes me chuckle. People take those no-brainer moves and extrapolate that he's going to do what they've been hoping someone would do for forever. But he really hasn't done anything yet.

Holmes and Sanchez are the next no-brainer moves. Anyone would make those, too. It's how he spends that $40M that's gonna count.

The head coach is much trickier. The Rex is the talkiest and worst coach ever narrative is a lot of fun, but -IMHO- he's going to have a difficult time upgrading that spot.

And... He gets to let the new coach pick his free agents... ? Wow.

That's a fear of mine -idzik's lack of skill when it comes to talent evaluation- rather than something to refer to as an asset.

I don't think the guy is a bust yet by any stretch. I just don't think he's done anything of note yet, either. Like, nothing.

chiming back in here, to targer one area of media criticism that I think is especially unfair is how Rex is criticized for not paying attention to the offense, or being a defensive coordinator with the position of a head coach. This seems to be one of Stephen A. Smith's most frequent criticisms of Rex, but to me this criticism is cosmetic nitpicking and shows a great lack of awareness of how the NFL operates.

It's naive to think that people who are hired as head coaches are hired as ones who possess the knowledge and have the experience to manage all sides of the ball competently at a professional standard. This just isn't the case; coaches almost always come from one side of the ball and that side of the ball is their definitive area of expertise. My best guess is that Sean Payton spends almost no time managing his defense; he is an offensive coach and it shows. And so I don't see why Rex is bashed for being heavily dedicated to the defense; he is one of the best defensive minds in the game right now, and in my view it is better to have a coach who can excell in at least one area of the game than a coach who knows both sides of the ball but can only manage them at a mediocre level. And I'm dreading the state of this team if Rex is fired because make no mistake about it, I expect we will be scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a coach, and this future coach will not know either side of the ball as well as Rex knows defense or worse yet be a college coach with no NFL experience.

Even though you write as if you're a member of the PR department, I really am inclined to agree with what you're saying. It goes beyond the traditional NY Media. It would be more akin to dealing with paparazzi for lack of a better metaphor. As for your position on Rex's defensive focus, that actually makes a lot of sense. I think he gets more share of the heat because of 1: not being offensive minded, and 2: not having won a Superbowl. Winning solves everything, see Coughlin, Tom. Going further on the Giants comparison, when Spagnuolo took over the Rams, he didn't do anything fantastic on either side of the ball. You do have to give Rex credit because the D is always around top 3rd in the NFL, and the offense was serviceable for a couple of years. He's learning, he needs to continue trying to find his winning formula with an OC who fits here. Also he needs a quarterback. A couple more years, on a disciplined approach, probably will pay off. He just needs to shut his yap, get his locker room in check, and get to work. I'm for keeping him around a little longer, it'll probably pay off.

I can't believe I said this

Holmes is on the verge of being cut. He needs to play and behave to get another paycheck. He's going to be a surprisingly good soldier all year. Count on it.

He hasn't done anything so far that virtually any poster on this board wouldn't've done. The optimism swirling around him because of that makes me chuckle. People take those no-brainer moves and extrapolate that he's going to do what they've been hoping someone would do for forever. But he really hasn't done anything yet.

Holmes and Sanchez are the next no-brainer moves. Anyone would make those, too. It's how he spends that $40M that's gonna count.

The head coach is much trickier. The Rex is the talkiest and worst coach ever narrative is a lot of fun, but -IMHO- he's going to have a difficult time upgrading that spot.

And... He gets to let the new coach pick his free agents... ? Wow.

That's a fear of mine -idzik's lack of skill when it comes to talent evaluation- rather than something to refer to as an asset.

I don't think the guy is a bust yet by any stretch. I just don't think he's done anything of note yet, either. Like, nothing.

I can go back and check all those posts from January, but I'm pretty sure no one on this board was saying, "Boy, the next GM is going to have it easy!" To the contrary, I recall the use of the terms "cap hell" about a million times. Idzik has taken the right path. He's wiping the board clean and shrugging off the criticism (that terrorized the for former GM daily) like it was a mosquito. These are good things.

I can go back and check all those posts from January, but I'm pretty sure no one on this board was saying, "Boy, the next GM is going to have it easy!" To the contrary, I recall the use of the terms "cap hell" about a million times. Idzik has taken the right path. He's wiping the board clean and shrugging off the criticism (that terrorized the for former GM daily) like it was a mosquito. These are good things.

I think it was pretty universally accepted that this was a two year job. The first year spent doing some tearing down and biting the bullet on a couple sh*tty guaranteed contracts, followed by a year of building back up. Meanwhile, he's getting praise for making moves that anyone paying attention would've made, or simply showing restraint. Cutting Bart Scott? Wow, genius. Not trading up in the draft? Brilliant. Not borrowing against the future for a flashy free agent? Bravo, sir.

It's easy to avoid criticism when you haven't made any major moves, yet. All that changes when he starts spending his bankroll next year.

Even though you write as if you're a member of the PR department, I really am inclined to agree with what you're saying. It goes beyond the traditional NY Media. It would be more akin to dealing with paparazzi for lack of a better metaphor. As for your position on Rex's defensive focus, that actually makes a lot of sense. I think he gets more share of the heat because of 1: not being offensive minded, and 2: not having won a Superbowl. Winning solves everything, see Coughlin, Tom. Going further on the Giants comparison, when Spagnuolo took over the Rams, he didn't do anything fantastic on either side of the ball. You do have to give Rex credit because the D is always around top 3rd in the NFL, and the offense was serviceable for a couple of years. He's learning, he needs to continue trying to find his winning formula with an OC who fits here. Also he needs a quarterback. A couple more years, on a disciplined approach, probably will pay off. He just needs to shut his yap, get his locker room in check, and get to work. I'm for keeping him around a little longer, it'll probably pay off.

I can't believe I said this

Good point bringing up Coughlin, and comparing the treatment Coughlin has received compared to Rex really convinces me further that a lot of sports journalism out there particularly in the New York market resembles gossip more than journalism. I think an aspect of being a good journalist is to look at things critically, along with being consistent, and I'm just not seeing it in this case. Unlike Rex, Coughlin never excelled in his area of expertise the way Rex has (Coughlin has a history on the offensive side of the ball). And judging from the media treatment of Coughlin, it doesn't matter if he knows how to coach or not as long as he was presiding over a super bowl winning team, and in my opinion this is no way to judge a coach. Just because a coach presides over a championship team that doesn't mean that coach is as good as the championships would suggest. If Rich Kotite had a supremely talented team and won 5 super bowls in a row, but was (coaching wise) substantially no different than he was in his Jets days this doesn't make him Vince Lombardi. And this is my point with Rex, and evaluating coaches in general.

Talent matters so much in the NFL; it can make bad coaches look good, and good coaches look great, and a lack of talent can do the same in the opposite direction. So let's be intellectually honest, the Jets have been on a talent drought while Rex has been here, and I don't blame this principally on Rex, I look to the GM who has since been fired. I sincerely believe that if you gave Rex a top 10 quarterback we would have been making deep playoff runs and contending for the superbowl in 2011 and 2012 just as we were in 2009 and 2010, talent at one position makes that much of a difference, just look at the disparity between the 2010 and 2011 Colts.

And so back to Rex; firing him, even after this season would be one of the dumbest decisions in franchise history. Why? Because elite coaching on ANY side of the ball is extremely rare. Just look at how many head coaches get cycled out of jobs every season, teams bring in a new face every few years then start over again, and this is a repeated routine, especially to the franchises that can't seem to manage making the playoffs for long periods at a time. Do fans honestly think that these organizations are just stupid for hiring the people they hire? They're not, they're taking shots in the dark hoping a coaching candidate turns out to be the next Bill Belichick, but teams miss much more often than they hit and that is evidenced by the amount of failed coaching regimes compared to the amount of successful ones. Most coaches fail to even make the playoffs let alone win playoff games or championships. So when Jet fans out of emotion just demand that Rex be fired, they don't know what they're asking for, because by firing Rex our franchise is being put in a much worse position by just adding to the uncertainty. At least with Rex we pretty much know we will always get elite defensive production, fire him, and like I said before, you are scraping the bottom of the barrel, looking at other coordinators, people with no HC experience, or people with no NFL experience at all,  hoping to find the next Belichick on what is akin to a shot in the dark. Get Rex a quarterback, NFL teams don't win championships without good QB play in today's NFL. In the modern NFL a great QB can win a mediocre coach a super bowl, but a mediocre qb cannot win even a great coach a SB, it's just how the game is now.

Archived