Crying Begins: Sanchez Afraid He'll Be IR'd

Lizard King

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think Sanchez simply does not have the talent to be a successful NFL QB. All the coaching in the world and any work he put it were never going to change that.

Would also say handing himn the job instead of making him earn it did him no favors. And the Jets starting Sunday are about to do the same thing with Geno Smith.Here you go, geno-based on your high draft status and nothing else you are now the starter. How has that turned out with Sanchez?

Nightmare scenario-Simms-who clearly earned the job if this was a real competition-plays out the year, becomes a free agent and then signs with the Pats or Jints, going on to become a servicable backup or even a starter. Smith is clearly not ready. I can gurantee you Reese and Bellicheat are watching this nonsense and laughing at the Jets again. There is no downside to playing Simms since the GM has pretty much waived the white flag for 2013. If he falls on his face, you have a perfect opportunity to play him Week 3. Instead you will now put Smith vs. Revis Week 1, at the pats 5 days later.

And if you catch lightning in a bottle with Simms, freaking great.

THIS FRANCHISE IS RUN BY IDIOTS.

and whose fault is that, his? Take it easy professor, didn't mean to upset you. In fact, I wasn't even talking to you.

Get over yourself. You don't upset me.  You don't make me happy or sad, elated or depressed.

And whether you were talking to me or not, I moderate this board where you repeatedly call loyal Jets fans haters because they dare to not want to see Mark Sanchez as the team's QB.  

Get over yourself. You don't upset me.  You don't make me happy or sad, elated or depressed.

And whether you were talking to me or not, I moderate this board where you repeatedly call loyal Jets fans haters because they dare to not want to see Mark Sanchez as the team's QB.  

youre are dreaming.

Think Sanchez simply does not have the talent to be a successful NFL QB. All the coaching in the world and any work he put it were never going to change that.

Would also say handing himn the job instead of making him earn it did him no favors. And the Jets starting Sunday are about to do the same thing with Geno Smith.Here you go, geno-based on your high draft status and nothing else you are now the starter. How has that turned out with Sanchez?

Nightmare scenario-Simms-who clearly earned the job if this was a real competition-plays out the year, becomes a free agent and then signs with the Pats or Jints, going on to become a servicable backup or even a starter. Smith is clearly not ready. I can gurantee you Reese and Bellicheat are watching this nonsense and laughing at the Jets again. There is no downside to playing Simms since the GM has pretty much waived the white flag for 2013. If he falls on his face, you have a perfect opportunity to play him Week 3. Instead you will now put Smith vs. Revis Week 1, at the pats 5 days later.

I think it's based on more than just draft status.  He looked lost out there in that 3rd game but not long before that he hit like 15 guys in a row (with a defense on the field), among other good days he's had.  They're high on him because they think he can be good.

Smith may end up being a poor-man's Kellen Clemens for all I know, but frankly this Simms stuff reminds me of Brett Ratliff.  If he'd separated himself so much through the months of practice where they watch all of them every day, then they'd know about it.  Given how little he has on his resume, I hardly think not starting the season with Simms constitutes idiocy.  The team could easily do that and just say Geno's still a little banged up & blame a demotion (even if it's only temporary) on an injury.

Pretty sure Simms has like 5 years to wait before he can consider FA. Hard to compare Simms against Geno. He did look solid, but it was against backups and vanilla defense. Smith played against starters that prepared and played the game like it was a regular season game. Simms definitely earned the #2 spot and if Geno shows he cannot play, I think Simms gets the shot. I have a good feeling about Geno, but we will see.

Pretty sure Simms has like 5 years to wait before he can consider FA. Hard to compare Simms against Geno. He did look solid, but it was against backups and vanilla defense. Smith played against starters that prepared and played the game like it was a regular season game. Simms definitely earned the #2 spot and if Geno shows he cannot play, I think Simms gets the shot. I have a good feeling about Geno, but we will see.

Don't know, but suspect as a free agent signee he's on a one year deal only.

ive supported Mark this summer but the way he was handled really? If ya played like garbage for the last 2 years don't be surprised when you are out running with the garbage OL. 

Yeah I was sure given time I'd agree with you on something.  The way the guy was "handled" is he was given a 4 year long tryout with the team.  So I'm not going to be sympathetic to any "Don't put me on IR please - all I want is to be given a chance" nonsense.  Nor should anyone else be.

Not all teams are the same.  But some teams that use the highest draft pick they've used on a Qb in, say, four or five years might feel that Qb should be given a better chance to compete for the starting job than, say, a walk on or something like that.

I never got the impression the competition was between anyone other than MS and Smith.  There probably was originally an idea that Garrard would also compete for that job, but after he quit, it was down to two guys.

Not saying it shouldn't have been - I don't know that they may have felt it clear as day to leave Simms to beat out McElroy for the #3 spot.  But it is kind of funny at least right now that Sanchez is hurt, Quin is learning the playbook, Smiith looked bad in his only NFL start, and I assume the backup Qb is Simms.  I wonder how much practice he gets with the first teamers.

Not all teams are the same.  But some teams that use the highest draft pick they've used on a Qb in, say, four or five years might feel that Qb should be given a better chance to compete for the starting job than, say, a walk on or something like that.

I never got the impression the competition was between anyone other than MS and Smith.  There probably was originally an idea that Garrard would also compete for that job, but after he quit, it was down to two guys.

Not saying it shouldn't have been - I don't know that they may have felt it clear as day to leave Simms to beat out McElroy for the #3 spot.  But it is kind of funny at least right now that Sanchez is hurt, Quin is learning the playbook, Smiith looked bad in his only NFL start, and I assume the backup Qb is Simms.  I wonder how much practice he gets with the first teamers.

I very much got the impression that Garrard would have not only been in the competition, but that he was likely to win it.  In that case you would have seen Sanchez dealt or cut.  

They didn't even declare Simms the winner over McElroy for the #3 job until just days ago.  It may or may not have turned out differently if McElroy wasn't injured the final couple of weeks.

Hey, if Simms actually is something then it won't be concealed forever & it's great for all of us as Jets fans.  I've just seen enough pre-season studs to know it doesn't mean squat, good or bad.

Yeah I was sure given time I'd agree with you on something.  The way the guy was "handled" is he was given a 4 year long tryout with the team.  So I'm not going to be sympathetic to any "Don't put me on IR please - all I want is to be given a chance" nonsense.  Nor should anyone else be.

Remember when Sanchez entered the league, all the talk was how he walked into the perfect situation.  #1 Running game in the league, #1 Defense in the league, playing behind the best OL in the league, with one of the best HC's in sports.  5 years later, the Jets ruined Sanchez.

It amazes me how quickly fans forget certain things.

I think it's based on more than just draft status.  He looked lost out there in that 3rd game but not long before that he hit like 15 guys in a row (with a defense on the field), among other good days he's had.  They're high on him because they think he can be good.

Smith may end up being a poor-man's Kellen Clemens for all I know, but frankly this Simms stuff reminds me of Brett Ratliff.  If he'd separated himself so much through the months of practice where they watch all of them every day, then they'd know about it.  Given how little he has on his resume, I hardly think not starting the season with Simms constitutes idiocy.  The team could easily do that and just say Geno's still a little banged up & blame a demotion (even if it's only temporary) on an injury.

They do know about it. 

Early on in OTA's  Mornhinweg, when asked about Smith's arm strength, laughed and said that if the Qb competition was based  only on the arm strength Simms would be the starter, because he has, by far, the strongest arm in camp.

When this camp started I really wondered why Simms was still on the roster.  When I saw him play at Tenn.  I thought he major sucked.  I thought he was given a look in camp last year as a favor to his father. Couldn't understand why he was still here.

As the camp has gone on I've become impressed with him.   As has Mornhinweg.   Early in August there were articles that he was taking reps from McElroy, who like him or not, was the Jets #2 guy last season.  And won a national championship as a college QB.  Simms just took his roster spot.  Think maybe Mornhinweg has noticed, 

Simms played in 3 preseason games this year.  And looked great in all three.  Yes, he was playing against 2nd stringers when he looked good, but so was Smith when he was looking awful.

Smith came out of the Giant's game with 11 minutes left after stepping out of the end zone for a safety.  Those weren't the 1 st stringers the Giants had out there.  

It appears that Marty and Lee are getting the max out of Simms and his big arm.   if this were a competition between Smith and Simms, Simms wins it hands down.

Simms is not Ratliff.  I posted an older article yesterday where Mortinson said he WOW'ed the Manning Football Academy.  Luck was also there.  Simms also has some pretty good DNA

Not saying that Simms is going to be a super star he may be a bust.  But he has surly outplayed Smith in this camp.  Smith doesn't have anymore of a pedigree that convinces me he can play in the NFL any more then Smith does.   

Smith was touted by "draft experts"   but ignored by NFL GM's until it came to the Jets.  That's all he's got  Not saying Smith is a bust either.  I just don't see anything about him that makes him any more of prospect then Simms

Remember when Sanchez entered the league, all the talk was how he walked into the perfect situation.  #1 Running game in the league, #1 Defense in the league, playing behind the best OL in the league, with one of the best HC's in sports.  5 years later, the Jets ruined Sanchez.

Sanchez ruined Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes and Jerricho Cotchery.  He also effectively ended the once-promising career of Leon Washington and was the nail in the coffin for LaDainian Tomlinson.

See how easy it is?

They do know about it. 

Early on in OTA's  Mornhinweg, when asked about Smith's arm strength, laughed and said that if the Qb competition was based  only on the arm strength Simms would be the starter, because he has, by far, the strongest arm in camp.

When this camp started I really wondered why Simms was still on the roster.  When I saw him play at Tenn.  I thought he major sucked.  I thought he was given a look in camp last year as a favor to his father. Couldn't understand why he was still here.

As the camp has gone on I've become impressed with him.   As has Mornhinweg.   Early in August there were articles that he was taking reps from McElroy, who like him or not, was the Jets #2 guy last season.  And won a national championship as a college QB.  Simms just took his roster spot.  Think maybe Mornhinweg has noticed, 

Simms played in 3 preseason games this year.  And looked great in all three.  Yes, he was playing against 2nd stringers when he looked good, but so was Smith when he was looking awful.

Smith came out of the Giant's game with 11 minutes left after stepping out of the end zone for a safety.  Those weren't the 1 st stringers the Giants had out there.  

It appears that Marty and Lee are getting the max out of Simms and his big arm.   if this were a competition between Smith and Simms, Simms wins it hands down.

Simms is not Ratliff.  I posted an older article yesterday where Mortinson said he WOW'ed the Manning Football Academy.  Luck was also there.  Simms also has some pretty good DNA

Not saying that Simms is going to be a super star he may be a bust.  But he has surly outplayed Smith in this camp.  Smith doesn't have anymore of a pedigree that convinces me he can play in the NFL any more then Smith does.   

Smith was touted by "draft experts"   but ignored by NFL GM's until it came to the Jets.  That's all he's got  Not saying Smith is a bust either.  I just don't see anything about him that makes him any more of prospect then Simms

This makes no sense.

You say they've taken notice of him, yet those same people have put him behind Smith.  Then you say it's an obvious mistake as though they've noticed nothing.

If a QB competition was about arm strength, Sanchez never would have been given a chance over Kellen Clemens.  

Also I disagree with your assessment of Smith as to GMs ignoring Smith.  There is a bit more to it than that when you're drafting a QB in round 1 as opposed to other positions.  If you want to play that mindless game then why not point out that Russell Wilson was ignored by NFL GMs as well.  THREE TIMES for most of them.  Other QBs were passed up on, by NFL GMs, 4x, 5x, and 7x.  It is a silly, silly argument.  Particularly when the guy went at the top of round 2.  All it means is that some teams didn't want to draft him in round 1 because you're locked in to the guy for a couple of years when you do.  

The same people who are killing Smith without seeing what's going on in practice and team meetings are the same ones that whined about the Jets staff assessed Sanchez without us seeing him and they determined that he was all these things.

They do know about it. 

Link?

Actually I don't...

I remember this legendary "elite QB" coming in 08 and F'ing things up along with a defense that couldn't stop anyone in a big spot and collapsed down the stretch in 08 and got torched by some guy named Pennington last game of the season at home.

That is the team Sanchez walked into.

Wow, look what Tannenbaum built up, that Rex tore down ;)

This makes no sense.

You say they've taken notice of him, yet those same people have put him behind Smith.  Then you say it's an obvious mistake as though they've noticed nothing.

If a QB competition was about arm strength, Sanchez never would have been given a chance over Kellen Clemens.  

Also I disagree with your assessment of Smith as to GMs ignoring Smith.  There is a bit more to it than that when you're drafting a QB in round 1 as opposed to other positions.  If you want to play that mindless game then why not point out that Russell Wilson was ignored by NFL GMs as well.  THREE TIMES for most of them.  Other QBs were passed up on, by NFL GMs, 4x, 5x, and 7x.  It is a silly, silly argument.  Particularly when the guy went at the top of round 2.  All it means is that some teams didn't want to draft him in round 1 because you're locked in to the guy for a couple of years when you do.  

The same people who are killing Smith without seeing what's going on in practice and team meetings are the same ones that whined about the Jets staff assessed Sanchez without us seeing him and they determined that he was all these things.

Actually this makes no sense.

I never said it was any  kind of a mistake. if your going to attempt to quote me please actually quote me.  Simms has moved from a guy that realistically had no chance to make the roster in March, to #2 QB on opening day.  Some body noticed something.     

Those same people who put him behind Smith, appear to be the GM who drafted Smith.  It has been suggested many times on here, and in the media, for what ever that's worth, that Idizk was pushing heavily for Smith, and that's why Smith was given preferential treatment leading up to the Giants game.   Getting 3 practices, and a start out of rotation.  Don't know that was going on, and you certainly have no idea it wasn't.  But that is what the evidence indicates.

Not playing a mindless game (Speaking of mindless, it doesn't become a mod to start personal attacks because you disagree with an opinion)

In the 2nd round there were 2 QB needy teams in front of the Jets.  Both passed.   This discussion has nothing to do with Russell Wilson, the being passed over is just evidence that he wasn't highly thought of by NFL GM's during camp.  His play since has reinforced that fact.

As I stated earlier, don't know if Smith is going to be a bust or not.  Just don't see anything that puts him above Simms.  He sure didn't out play him in camp

They do know about it. 

Look, Simms could go out there and crap the bed. But after reading up on him sounds like at Tennesee and at Louisville he was in bad situations with Petrino and Kiffin leaving both schools in the lurch. it doesn't excuse the stupid crap Simms did but it is an explanation. And perhaps he's done some much-needed growing up. The guy has seen some serious adversity and he still is chasing the dream. May be I'm buying too much into what would be a great story, but perhaps the Jets have something really good here and they are about to waste it instead of embraicng it. And handing Smith the job without earning it is in part how Sanchez became a disaster.

Look, Simms could go out there and crap the bed. But after reading up on him sounds like at Tennesee and at Louisville he was in bad situations with Petrino and Kiffin leaving both schools in the lurch. it doesn't excuse the stupid crap Simms did but it is an explanation. And perhaps he's done some much-needed growing up. The guy has seen some serious adversity and he still is chasing the dream. May be I'm buying too much into what would be a great story, but perhaps the Jets have something really good here and they are about to waste it instead of embraicng it. And handing Smith the job without earning it is in part how Sanchez became a disaster.

I agree

Hoping maybe Marty and Lee have hit a nerve with Simms and taught him to be a smart  QB to go along with his talent.

Think in this situation it is a major mistake putting Smith out here who just doesn't look at all ready when Simms is out playing him

I agree

Hoping maybe Marty and Lee have hit a nerve with Simms and taught him to be a smart  QB to go along with his talent.

Think in this situation it is a major mistake putting Smith out here who just doesn't look at all ready when Simms is out playing him

I can't believe you think it's that cut and dried.

I can't believe you think it's that cut and dried.

Yeah I actually do think it's that cut and dry.  When people are paying $100's of dollars for seats to see a team play, you put the players on the field that gives the team the best chance to win.  That's what they are paying for.  If your not going to do that, don't charge them

What do you think it's about?

Yeah I actually do think it's that cut and dry.  When people are paying $100's of dollars for seats to see a team play, you put the players on the field that gives the team the best chance to win.  That's what they are paying for.  If your not going to do that, don't charge them

What do you think it's about?

You're in obvious disagreement with the coaching staff. I hope you two can hash it out.

Actually I don't...

I remember this legendary "elite QB" coming in 08 and F'ing things up along with a defense that couldn't stop anyone in a big spot and collapsed down the stretch in 08 and got torched by some guy named Pennington last game of the season at home.

That is the team Sanchez walked into.

And what did that have to do with anything?  lulza

More anonymous reports...unreal the attention the Jets get for saying nothing.

Jets lead the league in anonymous quotations and always have. Even back to the Walt Michaels era when Greg Buttle stood in the locker room and challenged players to "put your name it" if you are going to speak out. With that said, Sanchez would be starting the season at QB if NOT for the imbecilic move of Rex Ryan and the Jets would at least stand a chance. I am NOT a Sanchez booster, but I just don't see Geno Smith being ready yet. It may be a good thing to get his feet wet, but the media is going to bring Sanchez - when healthy - into the conversation WHENEVER he (Geno) stumbles. Have fun with that Rex, on your way out.

Sanchez can now forever blame this injury when asked why the wheels fell off his New York football career.I can hear it now.............

Sheeeesh things were goin great, playoff victories an all that good stuff and then I got hurt and the team just couldnt win without me and then they fired Rex maybe

for gettin me injured in a meaningless game and blah blah blah santonio out blah blah O-line trouble and blah blah 3 OCs and..................

Archived