Tomlinson: Rex once said "I'm gonna punch [Belichick] in the face"

Jetsfan80

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000242538/article/lt-rex-ryan-said-he-was-going-to-punch-bill-belichick

LT: Rex Ryan said he was going to punch Bill Belichick

• By Dan Hanzus
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: Sept. 10, 2013 at 09:30 p.m.

Remember the time Rex Ryan dropped Bill Belichick at midfield before a key matchup between the New York Jets and New England Patriots?

You don't -- or, at least, you shouldn't -- because it never happened. But that doesn't mean Ryan never told his players that was his intention.

On Tuesday's edition of NFL Network's "NFL Total Access," NFL Media's LaDainian Tomlinson recalled a pep talk the Jets coach gave to his players before a showdown between the AFC East rivals.

"We were playing the Patriots one time, and as I mentioned, Rex is a master motivator," said Tomlinson, who played under Ryan in 2010 and 2011. "It was going to be a big game, a heated rivalry game, and Rex got in front of us, he said, 'I'm going to set the tempo today, guys,' he said, 'I'm going to set the tempo when I meet Bill Belichick in the center of the field, I'm gonna start it off and punch him in the face. I loved it."

"He was motivating his guys and he wanted to jump it off," LT added. " ... Our coach showed confidence that he has in us (and) in himself. He can be joking and lighten the mood at the same time while being serious about the competition."

Tomlinson's comments are a reminder of how fun this rivalry was at the turn of the decade. Let's hope the teams can re-capture that spark Thursday night.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wtf is wrong with some of you? Stop acting like a bunch of pussies. Rex was trying to motovated his players before a big game. And LT is saying he's good at it.

That 2010 season was probably the most fun I've had as a Jets fan.  This just adds to the legend of Rex Ryan for me.

Love him or hate him as a coach, he's damn funny.

That 2010 season was probably the most fun I've had as a Jets fan.  This just adds to the legend of Rex Ryan for me.

Hands down the best season I've ever experienced as a Jets fan.  Hard Knocks definitely added to the excitement of the season (btw - how terrible is that show now without Rex?) and that team was just fun to watch.  So many exciting games and then Rex put on one of the best 3 games in a row, on the road, defensive game plans to shut down 3 SB winning Qb's that this league has ever seen.

Wtf is wrong with some of you? Stop acting like a bunch of pussies. Rex was trying to motovated his players before a big game. And LT is saying he's good at it.

DOnt care Rex said it...Tomlinson repeating stuff that stays in the locker room....2 years later...is bush league.

100% agree man! I know they fell short of the actual goal but beating the pats at home in the playoffs was awesome.

Hands down the best season I've ever experienced as a Jets fan.  Hard Knocks definitely added to the excitement of the season (btw - how terrible is that show now without Rex?) and that team was just fun to watch.  So many exciting games and then Rex put on one of the best 3 games in a row, on the road, defensive game plans to shut down 3 SB winning Qb's that this league has ever seen.

Lets hope this years defense can do the same! Accomplishing what they did with Sanchez at QB is impressive. If Geno is even a step above that and the defense is the same, there is no reason to believe we cant make a little noise this year.

Apparently Klacko doesn't get the locker room code. Tomlinson's been crapping on Rex and the Jets ever since he took the gig at NFL network. This was another stir the pot comment from LT.

This is true, but in this particular situation, he wasnt sh*tting on Rex.  He was actually complimenting him.  I saw this piece live. 

LT has sh*t on the Jets, but he's always been very complimentary of Rex.  The only knock I've heard him from him on Rex was the guarantees.

This is true, but in this particular situation, he wasnt sh*tting on Rex.  He was actually complimenting him.  I saw this piece live. 

LT has sh*t on the Jets, but he's always been very complimentary of Rex.  The only knock I've heard him from him on Rex was the guarantees.

Context or not, this stays in the locker room. LT knew what he was doing...I get they're trying to hype the game and that's his job to attract viewers...but this is bush imo.

Lets hope this years defense can do the same! Accomplishing what they did with Sanchez at QB is impressive. If Geno is even a step above that and the defense is the same, there is no reason to believe we cant make a little noise this year.

Should be a cake walk for Geno to be a step above what Sanchez did in that game

16/25  194 yds  3 TD's  0 picks   127.3 RTG

Green Day: Will Rex punch Belichick?

September, 11, 2013

Sep 11

6:00

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Rex Ryan is known for his fiery speeches, and it's a safe bet that he'll deliver a doozy Wednesday night as the Jets prepare to face the Patriots in Foxborough.

On Tuesday night, former Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson recalled a vintage Ryan speech. Tomlinson, an NFL Network studio analyst, was asked to name the "craziest" thing Ryan ever said to the team.

"We were playing the Patriots one time," said Tomlinson, who played for the Jets in 2010 and 2011. "As I mentioned, Rex is a master motivator, and it was going to be a big game, a heated rivalry game. Rex got in front us and he said, ‘I’m going to set the tempo today, I’m going to set the tempo when I meet Bill Belichick in the center of the field. I’m going to start it off and punch him in the face’ We loved that, I loved that from Rex.”

Obviously, Ryan was kidding.

"He was motivating his guys and he wanted to jump it off," Tomlinson said. "We won [the game].

Hey, if you don't want to kiss a man's rings ...

News of the day: The Jets have to make a decision on wide receiver/punt returner Jeremy Kerley (concussion), who's not expected to make the trip to New England. On Tuesday, they re-signed wide receiver Ben Obomanu, giving them six receivers. Kyle Wilson likely would replace Kerley as the punt returner. ... With Kerley down, it could mean more work for Santonio Holmes, who admitted he was "frustrated" by his playing time in the opener. Holmes, who last week said he wasn't sure if he'd play, claimed he didn't feel he should've been limited by his surgically repaired foot. It's not like he barely played; he had 45 snaps. ... Tom Brady has a diminished supporting case, but are the Jets taking the Patriots lightly? Is Woody Johnson's favorite color blue?

Apparently Klacko doesn't get the locker room code. Tomlinson's been crapping on Rex and the Jets ever since he took the gig at NFL network. This was another stir the pot comment from LT.

DOnt care Rex said it...Tomlinson repeating stuff that stays in the locker room....2 years later...is bush league.

Completely agree.  I have zero problem that Rex said it, I actually love the fact that he said it. Besides, I doubt he's the first person to ever want to deck that smug SOB in the face.  Regardless, LT has zero right to be saying this, even if he is saying it in a complimentary light, it's bush-league.  He knows very well that it will be taken out of context, spun and turned against the jets and he'll have the ability to save face, because he said he liked it.  

News of the day: The Jets have to make a decision on wide receiver/punt returner Jeremy Kerley (concussion), who's not expected to make the trip to New England. On Tuesday, they re-signed wide receiver Ben Obomanu, giving them six receivers. Kyle Wilson likely would replace Kerley as the punt returner. ... With Kerley down, it could mean more work for Santonio Holmes, who admitted he was "frustrated" by his playing time in the opener. Holmes, who last week said he wasn't sure if he'd play, claimed he didn't feel he should've been limited by his surgically repaired foot. It's not like he barely played; he had 45 snaps. ... Tom Brady has a diminished supporting case, but are the Jets taking the Patriots lightly? Is Woody Johnson's favorite color blue?

Not sure if he'll even play week 1, but now upset that he wasn't playing the entire game? Guy is about as fickle as a woman.

Context or not, this stays in the locker room. LT knew what he was doing...I get they're trying to hype the game and that's his job to attract viewers...but this is bush imo.

Good pint, this is true.  Especially the way they spin everything with this team.

Thats probably one of those you dont share with the world.

Still love that Rex said it.  

Your posts have become constant anti-Rex blather.  Did you even enjoy our Week 1 victory?

Agreed.  A Hall of Fame running back called Rex a master motivator.  His take is good enough for me.  :)

Not sure what there is to blame Rex about this week.  :)

Your posts have become constant anti-Rex blather.  Did you even enjoy our Week 1 victory?

It is because of Rex, that it is difficult to enjoy the Jets right now. First time in 40 years of fandom I have been forced to say that. 

My light at the end of the tunnel is knowing that he will be gone after this season, and my prayer is that he does not retard any development for the future while he is still here.

As far as enjoying this week's victory, I was at a baseball tournament watching my son play, so I only saw the game via DVR on Monday. Thankfully, my son has a number of tournaments left this year, so I will not have to be forced to watch much of the tragic comedy.

How is this crapping on Rex? He is saying that he was good at motivating players. 

This isnt crapping on Rex. It just isnt something a former player would or should repeat. Especially a former player who's had nothing but bad things to say about the same since he's been on television.

You think Rex wants to answer questions this week about saying he'd punch Belichick?

Archived