Mehta: Jets Should Commit to Smith

flgreen

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At some point we just need to ignore the sensationalism of our current sports writers.

They troll websites like these to see what draws.  Then stir the pot for attention.

We can learn more from each other than reading his drivel.

That's why these assheads must be mocked relentlessly in these forums. 

My goal is to insult Mehta or Cimini to the point that they engage with us here. 

Then again, neither one of them have the balls or wit to engage with us. 

e

we should be worrying. Jets fans have a Geno Smith sized blindspot because he's not Mark. 

I should have clarified that I am worried, but the original poster was saying that Geno would be worried over his job after a bad performance without some proclaimation that he was the starter.  It is pretty clear from this week that Geno has at least some sort of a length of leash with the coaches because his replacement was not even hinted at by anyone with a whistle.

what is evidence that backs up that statement? Mark had tons of games like TB week 1 comeback victories. He also had 4 road playoff wins, 2 of which against Brady and Manning. Geno's probably as bad or worse than early 2009 Mark. Saying otherwise is misremembering history. 

Well, you are right there, but only up to a point.  Sanchez was getting the reps and had a better running game and receivers.  He was in a better position to succeed, and he STILL looked unimpressive overall. 

But you have a point nonetheless. I have seen nothing so far from Smith that indicates he will be better than Sanchez.  He very well might as things progress. I sure hope he will be.  But has he shown that he is a better QB already?

I don't think so.

I also disagree that Marty is more a negative than a positive for Smith.  Marty is the best OC we've seen around the Jets in a long time.

what is evidence that backs up that statement? Mark had tons of games like TB week 1 comeback victories. He also had 4 road playoff wins, 2 of which against Brady and Manning. Geno's probably as bad or worse than early 2009 Mark. Saying otherwise is misremembering history. 

The evidence is the eyeball test.  Sanchez never looked comfortable or poised, never.  Geno looks much more poised, confident and in control than Sanchez ever did.  If your eyes tell you something different, fine,  I just hope that you're not driving with those eyes.

The evidence is the eyeball test.  Sanchez never looked comfortable or poised, never.  Geno looks much more poised, confident and in control than Sanchez ever did.  If your eyes tell you something different, fine,  I just hope that you're not driving with those eyes.

it's a shame they don't include poise and confidence in quarterback statistic. What eyes are you using the guy threw 3 ugly ass interceptions in about 5 minutes. 

For Smith to play at his best, he doesn't need to be worrying that if he has a bad game he's gonna get benched.  No other starter in the NFL has to play under those circumstances.  QB is different than any other position.  Naming him the starter does NOT equal coddling.  That's just ridiculous.

He is the starter.  He knows he is the starter.  If he gets beat out by Simms who was the 4th QB that means the wheels completely fell off of Smith.

Also Sanchez did outplay Geno.  So he won the job by default.  Not sure why the Jets should proclaim anything about Geno.  He has his opportunity and we are all rooting for him.  But it is a big boy sport with no guarantees.

He is the starter.  He knows he is the starter.  If he gets beat out by Simms who was the 4th QB that means the wheels completely fell off of Smith.

He knows he is the starter one game at a time.  Not the same thing at all.  It may have nothing to do with being "beaten" out by Simms.  He could just have a really rough game from start to finish or have two bad games in a row and Rex (or someone else) could decide to start Simms and see what he fares.  The time for competition is in OTAs, mini-camp and TC, not the regular season.  It's one thing to bench a player for a game or two who is continually sloppy and underperforming to try to motivate him to work/play harder.  It's another thing imo to still have players competing for starting jobs.  If that's Idzik's idea, then that's a strike against him in my book.

Also Sanchez did outplay Geno.  So he won the job by default.  Not sure why the Jets should proclaim anything about Geno.  He has his opportunity and we are all rooting for him.  But it is a big boy sport with no guarantees.

I totally disagree that Sanchez outplayed Geno.  The only thing Sanchez does better than Geno right now is take snaps from under center and drop back.

If you gave an order that santiago wasn't to be touched, and your orders are always followed, then why would santiago be in danger? Why would it be necessary to transfer him off the base? Then why the two orders!!? You made it clear just a moment ago that your men never take matters into their own hands. Your men follows orders or people die.

I totally disagree that Sanchez outplayed Geno.  The only thing Sanchez does better than Geno right now is take snaps from under center and drop back.

You can disagree but it doesn't change it.  Geno had his chance to claim the starting job and he laid an egg against the Giants.  If Sanchez didn't get hurt, he would be the starter.  And the Jets would be 2 and 0.

I am actually rooting for Geno though, the Jets have a ton of cap room next year.  They should see what they have in the kid.  Sanchez never proved that he could be the long term answer.  Now is the time to find out if Geno is.  That said, there is still no reason to declare the Geno is the QB long term.  If he lays an egg, he should get benched.  Or at least have that fear.  Sanchez never had that fear unfortunately and that is why the Jets are doing it differently this time.  I commend them for that.

He knows he is the starter one game at a time.  Not the same thing at all.  It may have nothing to do with being "beaten" out by Simms.  He could just have a really rough game from start to finish or have two bad games in a row and Rex (or someone else) could decide to start Simms and see what he fares.  The time for competition is in OTAs, mini-camp and TC, not the regular season.  It's one thing to bench a player for a game or two who is continually sloppy and underperforming to try to motivate him to work/play harder.  It's another thing imo to still have players competing for starting jobs.  If that's Idzik's idea, then that's a strike against him in my book.

Well I agree the time for competition is in training camp.  And Geno lost that competition, which is why the Jets refuse to proclaim he is the starter for the season.

Well I agree the time for competition is in training camp.  And Geno lost that competition, which is why the Jets refuse to proclaim he is the starter for the season.

No one proclaims a "starter for the season" though.  They name a starter for whatever week they start until they announce a new starter.  I don't see the issue.  The implication that Geno could lose his job at anytime is the same implication for many QB's around the league. 

The Eagles never came out and named Vick the "starter for the season".  He's just the Starter-Until-he-Gets-a-Concussion.  Terrelle Pryor was never named "starter for the season" in Oakland over Matt Flynn, either.  If Pryor starts to suck Flynn could easily take over.

While everyone should know that Mehta is a twerp and fodder for our amusement, we should also keep in mind that Geno has only 2 games under his belt.  Let us not forget that Peyton started out 1-15 and Marino went 7-4.  We should be hoping only that he starts putting the ball where receivers can catch it.  Well, maybe I should have said where they should catch it  :)

You can disagree but it doesn't change it.  Geno had his chance to claim the starting job and he laid an egg against the Giants.  If Sanchez didn't get hurt, he would be the starter.  And the Jets would be 2 and 0.

I am actually rooting for Geno though, the Jets have a ton of cap room next year.  They should see what they have in the kid.  Sanchez never proved that he could be the long term answer.  Now is the time to find out if Geno is.  That said, there is still no reason to declare the Geno is the QB long term.  If he lays an egg, he should get benched.  Or at least have that fear.  Sanchez never had that fear unfortunately and that is why the Jets are doing it differently this time.  I commend them for that.

I like the way people assume Sanchez would have been some mistake-free QB against Tampa and New England.  Because that's exactly what he was in pre-season against backups and vanilla defenses.  Oh wait, no he wasn't.

We'd be 0-2 with Sanchez.  People are giving him credit for not making game-altering mistakes that he would have made.  In Mark's last action the guy fumbled a simple snap away.  The game before that he pissed away easy points because he was treating the clock like he was a freshman college QB.  The game before that, it was a pick-6 to a defensive lineman.  These were all low-pressure pre-season games (particularly the latter two).  We would be 0-2 with Sanchez.  

That being said, Smith really shouldn't be on the field if he still has simple mechanics issues (which he does).  It's too much for him (or anyone) to be thinking about every inch every limb is moving, and process what he's seeing on the field, all at the same time.

This is an organization at odds with itself. Idzik has to plan for the future while Rex Ryan desperately kisses a$$ and prays to hold on to his 'dream job' which will not succeed if they continue on this path. The Jets had a winnable game right there for the taking in Foxborough but as they usually do, they ripped defeat from the jaws of victory, which I lay at the doorstep of the "HC". The Jets will continue to look and be perceived as comical the rest of this season until Idzik is allowed to pull the rug out from under Rex and get a real head coach on board.

The Jets don't necessarily HAVE TO announce a starting QB, but I think it would do a lot for Geno's peace of mind to know the HC is behind him...oh wait, the Jets don't HAVE a real HC, so.......never mind. Geno will be under center unless he really stinks and in that case the Jets will be better off with a high draft pick. They better get rid of Rex before then or we'll be drafting the 100th DT/DE pass rusher in his era.

Why, because you say so?  Sanchez had chances to shut the door on Geno, too, and couldn't.  Yes, Geno didn't play well vs. the Giants, but then Sanchez didn't play well against anyone and made a stupid pick 6 to a DL as well as looked like his normal, clueless self on the field.  Sanchez may well have started, but it wouldn't have been because he had really outplayed Geno in practices and preseason games, but rather because due to his having more experience and not having footwork fundamentals issues.

I like the way people assume Sanchez would have been some mistake-free QB against Tampa and New England.  Because that's exactly what he was in pre-season against backups and vanilla defenses.  Oh wait, no he wasn't.

We'd be 0-2 with Sanchez.  People are giving him credit for not making game-altering mistakes that he would have made.  In Mark's last action the guy fumbled a simple snap away.  The game before that he pissed away easy points because he was treating the clock like he was a freshman college QB.  The game before that, it was a pick-6 to a defensive lineman.  These were all low-pressure pre-season games (particularly the latter two).  We would be 0-2 with Sanchez.  

That being said, Smith really shouldn't be on the field if he still has simple mechanics issues (which he does).  It's too much for him (or anyone) to be thinking about every inch every limb is moving, and process what he's seeing on the field, all at the same time.

Here is my logic. Sanchez outplayed Geno in camp.  The Jets lost the Pats game by 3 points.  By being a little better the Jets would be 2 and 0.  It is obviously not science, there is no way to know.

But like I said earlier, it is good for the Jets to see what Smith is all about.

If Geno "lost" the competition, then so did Sanchez.  There was no clear-cut winner.  Because of that, the Jets and we fans were clear-cut losers.  Idzik could and should have done more to insure that the Jets could field a quality starter, or at least one who wasn't prone to bonehead plays 3-4 times a game.

Why, because you say so?  Sanchez had chances to shut the door on Geno, too, and couldn't.  Yes, Geno didn't play well vs. the Giants, but then Sanchez didn't play well against anyone and made a stupid pick 6 to a DL as well as looked like his normal, clueless self on the field.  Sanchez may well have started, but it wouldn't have been because he had really outplayed Geno in practices and preseason games, but rather because due to his having more experience and not having footwork fundamentals issues.

No because he outplayed him.  Geno had the chance to win the job.  He laid an egg.  You can say that they both played bad and that is fine.  If Sanchez plays the 4th quarter of the Giants game and comes out healthy, he is the starter week one.  That is the point.  Geno didn't win the job.  Therefore the Jets should not be guaranteeing him anything like you want them to.

Everything has to be earned.  The entitlement era with the Jets is over.

That is the exact reason I don't feel bad for Sanchez.  He got hurt being in the 4th quarter.  Big deal, he was going into the game to prove he could win the job.  Had he proven that in any of his 600 earlier chances, there would have been no need to put him in.  But he always left so much doubt so they had to.

If they find a way to clone Joe Namath I am okay naming him the starter forever.  Everyone else check the lineup card daily like they do in baseball.

No one proclaims a "starter for the season" though.  They name a starter for whatever week they start until they announce a new starter.  I don't see the issue.  The implication that Geno could lose his job at anytime is the same implication for many QB's around the league. 

The Eagles never came out and named Vick the "starter for the season".  He's just the Starter-Until-he-Gets-a-Concussion.  Terrelle Pryor was never named "starter for the season" in Oakland over Matt Flynn, either.  If Pryor starts to suck Flynn could easily take over.

WTF?  That's nuts.  Once a QB is proclaimed the "starter", it's assumed that he will continue to be the starter unless he gets injured or just sucks so badly that he gives the team no chance to win. Since he is named the starter, it's also assumed that he won't suck, or at least that he will suck less than the backup QBs.

If Geno "lost" the competition, then so did Sanchez.  There was no clear-cut winner.  Because of that, the Jets and we fans were clear-cut losers.  Idzik could and should have done more to insure that the Jets could field a quality starter, or at least one who wasn't prone to bonehead plays 3-4 times a game.

What should Idzik have done with the QB position exactly?  He couldn't cut Sanchez, he had no cap room and he took a QB high in the draft.  Please explain who he should have brought in here. 

WTF?  That's nuts.  Once a QB is proclaimed the "starter", it's assumed that he will continue to be the starter unless he gets injured or just sucks so badly that he gives the team no chance to win. Since he is named the starter, it's also assumed that he won't suck, or at least that he will suck less than the backup QBs.

You just reiterated exactly what I said.  So what's the problem here?

Well I have said it 800 times already lol but this is further proof that the Jets felt that GENO LOST the competition to Mark.

Archived