If Revis wasn't a greedy pig this defense would've been epic...

CobraVerde

The Jets appeared to strongly stay with how they had the players rated in this draft regardless of need.  Cro is scheduled to make Revis kind of money next year.  No way they are going to pay him.  Even if Revis was still on the team, think they still take Milliner.

On another long shot, Revis' contract is really a weird one, it is very possible, considering what is going on in Tampa, that Revis  could be out on the street again next year as a FA.  Wouldn't that be something.   We get to hear Bit and his lil buddy do the GOAT, sign him song, for 4 months again.

Why would Cro be scheduled to make Revis kind of money next year when he is 1/10 the corner back Revis is?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing about Revis is, he doesn't actually HONOR his contracts. So re-negotiating is moot. He held out 3 times since he was drafted. So you work out a new contract with him.. then what? He suddenly becomes content and lets a deal expire? I'm not faulting the guy for maximixing his earnings while he can.. but to assume that sitting down at the negotiation table was anything more than a short-term fix is a little short-sighted.

BINGO

This what it is all about.  Revis wasn't giving any one a home town contract period.  As you said, I  don't fault him for that either.  Perhaps his experience in Tampa, and getting a bit older, and richer, will soften him to want to play for Rex again.

Very long shot, but it is something to think about

We will renegotiate Cromartie. Where we are now, we can't go without keeping him around. And no way the bucs give up on Revis already. The idea we could get him back one day, is making me salivate. 

LOL

I'm certainly not guaranteeing that Revis will be a FA next year, but I suspect there is going to be a major ass kicking in Tampa this off season.   It is certainly not out of the realm of possibility that they just start all over again.

What is the point of having a $16,000,000 CB if you are still competing for the first pick in the draft?  it is certainly possible.  Likely?  We'll see

Why would Cro be scheduled to make Revis kind of money next year when he is 1/10 the corner back Revis is?

Cro is not 1/10 the CB Revis is.  He's not as good as Revis was in 2010, but he is good.

To answer your question, the Jets have renegotiated with Cro twice to clear some cap space.  Right now his cap # for 2014 is just under $15,000,000.  He will either renegotiate or will be released.   

Cro is not 1/10 the CB Revis is.  He's not as good as Revis was in 2010, but he is good.

To answer your question, the Jets have renegotiated with Cro twice to clear some cap space.  Right now his cap # for 2014 is just under $15,000,000.  He will either renegotiate or will be released.   

ok 1/10 is a stretch but clearly he is 1/5 of Revis.  Cro is always 5 yards off the guy no matter where they are on the field.  Given he has great catch up speed and all... but far from a shutdown corner like Revis is/was.  Cro deserves 4-5 mil a year at most.

ok 1/10 is a stretch but clearly he is 1/5 of Revis.  Cro is always 5 yards off the guy no matter where they are on the field.  Given he has great catch up speed and all... but far from a shutdown corner like Revis is/was.  Cro deserves 4-5 mil a year at most.

Not to argue, but I'd put him up about 8-10.  He had a great year last year.  We'll see how he does this year.  For that matter, who knows if Revis is I/5 of the 2010 Revis.  He's playing in a zone

Yeah, thats the only thing that made me mad. It seemed like we didn't even attempt to get something done with him. I wanted to hear that we tried at the very least to talk to him, and that he turned us down or wanted much more. then move on. But according to team Revis, we never reached out to them.

The rumors all along were that Revis was looking for $16M / year.  Revis ultimately signed for $16M / year.  Given that, I'd think it's safe to say the Jets knew what he was looking for.  If that number was nowhere close to what they were willing to pay then it would be pointless to put too much time and effort into any negotiations, even if they could knock his price down a little bit.

BINGO

This what it is all about.  Revis wasn't giving any one a home town contract period.  As you said, I  don't fault him for that either.  Perhaps his experience in Tampa, and getting a bit older, and richer, will soften him to want to play for Rex again.

Very long shot, but it is something to think about

Boy I am pro Rex not getting fired, but we got 2 wins, and all of a sudden it's lets act like Rex has got a new 5 year deal to stay here, this could all turn around in the next 13 weeks, we watch BOTH Rex, and Schiano get fired, Rex hired in TB 30 seconds later, TB drafts Teddy Bridgewater, Rex uses Revis correctly, gives M Barron the gift of freedom, and lets the beast of a DL do their thing, and Rex is sitting in another Confrence Championship game with a rookie QB, just not the Geno story we all hope happens this year, it's with Teddy, and Revis in TB, and we will all be like "man why the F did we trade Revis, and fire Rex the Jets are the worst, this sucks"!

History has proven that a dominant defensive line is more critical to winning Super Bowls than having a great defensive back ... especially if the D-Back uses a large chunk of your salary cap.

Good riddance.

Much happier that we're building the defense inside out, rather than outside in.

F Mevi$ Slouch.  I wish he'd waste way with that sh*thole orginzation but he's going straight mercenary route eventually.  A bunch of 1 year deals for the biggest bidder.  I'd like to say he's getting what he deserves for not being able to compromise with the team and coach that made him who he is today but he'll push his way out of there and he'll sign with a contender and win a SB.  

I guess it would be kind of cool if he came back and won his first when Rex wins one in a couple of years when this team matures under his guidance but Rex certainly doesnt need him.  Revis needs Rex. 

Its his job.

To negotiate a price that he is never going to agree to pay anyway?  How do you figure that?  If anything, it sounds like an immense waste of time that would be far better spent elsewhere (for example, trading Revis).

Again, the point stands that Revis was ultimately paid exactly what he was rumored to be insisting on being paid for months prior to the trade.  Idzik was well aware of what that number was, and seemed to have no interest in paying it.  So what exactly was it that was his job that you are claiming he supposedly didn't do?  To pay Revis substantially more than Idzik felt he was worth?  Because I can't imagine it's your assertion that Idzik was going to take the NFL's most experienced holdout artist and magically make him decide he was going to play for half as much money as he wanted (and another team was ultimately willing to pay him) in order to stay with the same team he previously bled for every last penny he could.

F Mevi$ Slouch.  I wish he'd waste way with that sh*thole orginzation but he's going straight mercenary route eventually.  A bunch of 1 year deals for the biggest bidder.  I'd like to say he's getting what he deserves for not being able to compromise with the team and coach that made him who he is today but he'll push his way out of there and he'll sign with a contender and win a SB.  

I guess it would be kind of cool if he came back and won his first when Rex wins one in a couple of years when this team matures under his guidance but Rex certainly doesnt need him.  Revis needs Rex. 

No Super Bowl contender is ever going to open up their wallets to a CB for the kind of money Revis will be looking for.  He's looking at a minimum of 2 years in Tampa, and by then his value to the rest of the league will be even lower, meaning his asking price better come way down or the list of those interested won't be any longer than the Jets' potential trading partners for him this past offseason.

To negotiate a price that he is never going to agree to pay anyway?  How do you figure that?  If anything, it sounds like an immense waste of time that would be far better spent elsewhere (for example, trading Revis).

Again, the point stands that Revis was ultimately paid exactly what he was rumored to be insisting on being paid for months prior to the trade.  Idzik was well aware of what that number was, and seemed to have no interest in paying it.  So what exactly was it that was his job that you are claiming he supposedly didn't do?  To pay Revis substantially more than Idzik felt he was worth?  Because I can't imagine it's your assertion that Idzik was going to take the NFL's most experienced holdout artist and magically make him decide he was going to play for half as much money as he wanted (and another team was ultimately willing to pay him) in order to stay with the same team he previously bled for every last penny he could.

Look at what I quoted. "it would be pointless to put too much time and effort into any negotiations, even if they could knock his price down a little bit." Its not pointless, and he can't put too much effort into doing his job.

No Super Bowl contender is ever going to open up their wallets to a CB for the kind of money Revis will be looking for.  He's looking at a minimum of 2 years in Tampa, and by then his value to the rest of the league will be even lower, meaning his asking price better come way down or the list of those interested won't be any longer than the Jets' potential trading partners for him this past offseason.

He'll demand top CB money, whereas playing for Rex he demanded best defensive player in Football money.  So, sure, maybe he doesnt sign for 16 mil each season for the rest of his career, but I still see him going straight Deon route, taking short term deals to the biggest bidder which can often be the contender thinking he's the last piece to the puzzle. 

Look at what I quoted. "it would be pointless to put too much time and effort into any negotiations, even if they could knock his price down a little bit." Its not pointless, and he can't put too much effort into doing his job.

Yet my point from the beginning still stands; if there was such a significant gap between what Revis wanted and what the Jets were willing to pay, no amount of negotiating was going to make a difference.  In that case, it is not in any way Idzik's job to waste all of his time on negotiating a contract he has no intention of the Jets' signing with some player he has no plans to retain.  Believe it or not, he had one or two other things to take care of, like these little things called free agency and the draft, which involved players he actually intended to have on his team this year.

Clearly you felt Revis was actually worth somewhere close to the amount of money he was eventually paid by the Bucs, and that's your prerogative.  Idzik did not seem to share that sentiment though.  That still doesn't mean he wasn't doing his job, especially considering this entire point seems to be based upon a series of uninformed conclusions about what happened regarding a situation that began over 7 months ago.

I still don't like the anti-Revis sentiment.  He was an all-time great Jet and is an all-time NFL great.  Yes I would've loved to have had him on this defense (could you imagine!) but $16 million per is too much for a CB.  I think the right decision was made.  But I wish no ill-will toward Revis.  Good for him that he got paid.  He worked hard for it and is a rare talent.  Plus the NFL is the "Not For Long" league. 

In any case, good luck Darrelle (other than when playing us) and thank you!

Yet my point from the beginning still stands; if there was such a significant gap between what Revis wanted and what the Jets were willing to pay, no amount of negotiating was going to make a difference.  In that case, it is not in any way Idzik's job to waste all of his time on negotiating a contract he has no intention of the Jets' signing with some player he has no plans to retain.  Believe it or not, he had one or two other things to take care of, like these little things called free agency and the draft, which involved players he actually intended to have on his team this year.

Clearly you felt Revis was actually worth somewhere close to the amount of money he was eventually paid by the Bucs, and that's your prerogative.  Idzik did not seem to share that sentiment though.  That still doesn't mean he wasn't doing his job, especially considering this entire point seems to be based upon a series of uninformed conclusions about what happened regarding a situation that began over 7 months ago.

Clearly nothing. Revis was a homegrown talent, and you don't let an elite player go without at least opening the discussions about what it would take to retain him. Thats it. I am sad he's gone, but understand it. No corner is worth the money tampa gave him.

He'll demand top CB money, whereas playing for Rex he demanded best defensive player in Football money.  So, sure, maybe he doesnt sign for 16 mil each season for the rest of his career, but I still see him going straight Deon route, taking short term deals to the biggest bidder which can often be the contender thinking he's the last piece to the puzzle. 

He isn't Sanders.  He might be better in many ways as a CB,  but Sanders was a guy who returned kicks, played on offense, put fans in the seats, etc.  I was never a big Sanders fan, but he brought more to the table than just some CB.  Winning teams wanted him.  It wasn't like he jumped to the Raiders for top dollar.  He wanted to win.  

If the Bucs wind up being a 6-10 team or worse this season,  aren't very good next year, I just don't see a huge market for him. There wasn't one this season.     You can't demand top dollar if half your career you were on losing teams.  And you are known as a hold out, a greedy player,  a guy who now seems to not like his coach.    And as great as he is on defense, again, he isn't Sanders.   A shutdown corner is great if he doesn't cost that much. A shut down corner who will demand 16 million,  no legit super bowl team would ever make that deal. Not for a guy who won't change a team around.  Not for a guy who doesn't seem like the big leader of a defense.  Not for a guy who isn't on special teams or offense or brings interest to a team.    I mean nobody around the league cares about the Bucs at this point except for Jets fans. And that's because of Revis.     Sanders.   People still know who he is today.

Archived