****The Official Jets VS Steelers Game Thread****®©™

BP

Walking wounded: The Jets suffered four injuries -- CB Kyle Wilson (possible concussion), RB Mike Goodson (knee), WR Clyde Gates (shoulder) and RB Bilal Powell (shoulder), who insisted he was fine. That wasn't the case with Gates, who was seen in the locker room with his left arm in a sling. The Jets already are down a receiver, with Santonio Holmes(hamstring) likely to miss next Sunday's game against the New England Patriots. Losing Gates would hurt. Obviously, the backfield would take a hit without Powell and Goodson, whose injury could be serious.

so less weapinz vs patsies next week

yay

Gates' injury looked weird, not sure what happened there.  Goodson's didn't look bad at the time, but he certainly needed help getting off of the field so that's definitely not good news, especially as he was looking like a nice player.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He had a 80 yard TD if he didnt have the piano on his back.

Dude, he was pulling away from two of the faster guys on the Steelers that play, Geno just overthrew him by a foot.  If you think he was running slow, it's only because of how long his strides were, he was absolutely torching those guys.

Edit: Kinda hard to believe he could overthrow someone deep with such a weak arm though right ;) 

Gates' injury looked weird, not sure what happened there.  Goodson's didn't look bad at the time, but he certainly needed help getting off of the field so that's definitely not good news, especially as he was looking like a nice player.

it looked like a jammed finger all the way, maybe some weird stinger

it looked like a jammed finger all the way, maybe some weird stinger

I thought at worst it was a dislocated finger, but when he was walking off the field it just looked odd. 

There's some hack on twitter saying that Goodson's injury is season ending, which it very well could be, but I wouldn't out any stock into that announcement. He was already on the ground when he was hit by one of our own players, so it doesn't seem like it could be an ACL, but what the hell do I know, I just hope he's okay as he's one of the only electrifying players we actually have.

I thought at worst it was a dislocated finger, but when he was walking off the field it just looked odd. 

There's some hack on twitter saying that Goodson's injury is season ending, which it very well could be, but I wouldn't out any stock into that announcement. He was already on the ground when he was hit by one of our own players, so it doesn't seem like it could be an ACL, but what the hell do I know, I just hope he's okay as he's one of the only electrifying players we actually have.

and even more weird the steeler standing over him waived the trainers over immediately, like it was an obvious injury.  knees can be very weird, my worst knee injury I got landing after jumping on an uneven soccer field.  played pickup tackle football for years, never got anything worse than bruises

Why does Rex always say after every win that the Jets are "a great resilient team"?

I didnt see him say that after this game. Maybe because of the last minute comebacks when the team could have and probably should have folded? I saw him say that the Jets need to be more consistent. The Jets missed a sack for a safety, a wide open WR for 6 points and threw 2 picks in the red zone. They are not a good enough team to miss those opportunities. The Jets need a tough over the middle WR, an edge rusher, and a whole secondary. This is not a great team. Its between 7-9 and 9-7 with this coaching staff, and 3-13 with most other coaching staffs.

Honestly, you are acting like a child. The rankings are important, because they stress just how poorly the Steelers have been against the run and how great they have been against the pass, which is the exact opposite of what you have been spouting.  The Steelers were giving up 122+ yards on the ground per game, 140 to AD isn't going to skew that much, considering they already gave up: 112 to Tennessee, 127 to Cinci, 107 to Chicago and then 145 to Minny. When you see that type of trend, it's not unreasonable to assume that their weakness is the run and that you should attack it as such.  

Meanwhile, our scared little HC, which you assume I'm defending just because I called you out on your blatantly false statements, has had Marty let Geno drop back to pas over 35 times per game.  Even today, in the game you are complaining about, we dropped back to pass over 65% of the offensive plays.  Once again, you really couldn't be any more wrong if you tried.

You and Wrecks allowed playcalls to be dictated by a small sample size, and one 20% part of tat was against the best RB in te NFL having a good day. The running totals are not that big a deal. You ahve to throw effectively to score.The Jets' gameplan did not do that, period.

Bit, Matt, myself and others hae said it and it has to be said over and over-passing the ball is what scores points and wins football games. If you think you have to "eastablish the run" you are doing your opponent a big favor. Unfortunately Wrecks buys into this crap.It's why he will never be an NFL HC ever again once he gets canned in January. The guy is a beeper salesman in an iphone world.

Again, there are no trophies nor parades for rankings.You need to look behind the numbers instead of assuming they tell you why team wins or loses rather than how their games played out. The Steelers were 0-5 which means they were behind in most of their games and teams ran it to burn clock. it does not mean necessarily they suck against the run. Rather odd that despite watching how football games play out you don;t understand how that impacts such measurables. Again you are mistaking an outcome of losing football games(opposing teams running the clock out) with causation.

You and Wrecks allowed playcalls to be dictated by a small sample size, and one 20% part of tat was against the best RB in te NFL having a good day. The running totals are not that big a deal. You ahve to throw effectively to score.The Jets' gameplan did not do that, period.

Bit, Matt, myself and others hae said it and it has to be said over and over-passing the ball is what scores points and wins football games. If you think you have to "eastablish the run" you are doing your opponent a big favor. Unfortunately Wrecks buys into this crap.It's why he will never be an NFL HC ever again once he gets canned in January. The guy is a beeper salesman in an iphone world.

Again, there are no trophies nor parades for rankings.You need to look behind the numbers instead of assuming they tell you why team wins or loses rather than how their games played out. The Steelers were 0-5 which means they were behind in most of their games and teams ran it to burn clock. it does not mean necessarily they suck against the run. Rather odd that despite watching how football games play out you don;t understand how that impacts such measurables. Again you are mistaking an outcome of losing football games(opposing teams running the clock out) with causation.

Do you even understand what you're arguing against? You complain that we aren't passing the ball and then spend three paragraphs without touching on the fact that we are throwing well over 60% of the time and threw over 65% of the offensive snaps today.  You are stating that we aren't throwing the ball, when that's exactly what we are doing. You want to complain about something, complain about a stale offensive game-plan and Geno throwing two terrible Ints.  Should we be throwing the ball 70% of the time instead? Because as far as the ratio is going, we're slinging the ball a lot, especially with a rookie QB.  This little strawman you have about rankings is cute though. 

Do you even understand what you're arguing against? You complain that we aren't passing the ball and then spend three paragraphs without touching on the fact that we are throwing well over 60% of the time and threw over 65% of the offensive snaps today.  You are stating that we aren't throwing the ball, when that's exactly what we are doing. You want to complain about something, complain about a stale offensive game-plan and Geno throwing two terrible Ints.  Should we be throwing the ball 70% of the time instead? Because as far as the ratio is going, we're slinging the ball a lot, especially with a rookie QB.  This little strawman you have about rankings is cute though.

I understand that an offense that habitually fails to get in the end zone and scores less that 2 TDs will lose NFL games. 6 points in a winnable game is garbage.

I understand that an offense that habitually fails to get in the end zone and scores less that 2 TDs will lose NFL games. 6 points in a winnable game is garbage.

It sucks, but when you never draft offense its going to happen. Crappy receivers against physical corners generally isnt going to end well.

The offensive game plan was putrid.    In hindsight, I still don't know what it actually was other than total surrender.  

The % of pass plays run today is totally skewed by playing from behind in the 2nd half.   Kicking the FG on the 2nd drive was the turning point of the entire game.    #fearless   

The offensive game plan was putrid.    In hindsight, I still don't know what it actually was other than total surrender.  

The % of pass plays run today is totally skewed by playing from behind in the 2nd half.   Kicking the FG on the 2nd drive was the turning point of the entire game.    #fearless   

It's at the point now where I hope the Jets kick the field goal on first down when they get into the redzone.

It was pale compared to last week, but I would argue it had more to do with execution than the gameplan itself. The percentage of pass plays today is pretty much on par with our ratio for the season: we are throwing the ball 60% of the time regardless. We lost today because we were outplayed in all aspects of the ball and the Steelers did a phenomenal job of neutralizing our Dline by throwing quick screens and passes all game long. They just were the better team today.

I'm as big a Geno supporter as there is on this board, but those two red zone ints were back-breaking as well as over-throwing Hill on a gimmee touchdown.  He said in the presser that he was trying to throw away the first Int and didn't anticipate Clark coming across the field to make the play, but we're just not a talented enough team to win with mistakes like that. He's been extremely resilient this year after every loss and I'm excited to see how he bounces back against New England, especially considering this is his first time facing a team twice. 

I was at this game the team showed me nothing. Geno Smith threw interception after interception. The Defense could not stop Big Ben Roethlisberger at all.

There was more steelers fans then Jets fans at Metlife yesterday. Metlife stadium has the worst home field advantage which is none at all. The Jets basically didnt show up in the 2nd half at all. Its not embarrassing seeing the jets lose to a winless team because the winless team was the pittsburgh steelers.

I was at this game the team showed me nothing. Geno Smith threw interception after interception. The Defense could not stop Big Ben Roethlisberger at all.

There was more steelers fans then Jets fans at Metlife yesterday. Metlife stadium has the worst home field advantage which is none at all. The Jets basically didnt show up in the 2nd half at all. Its not embarrassing seeing the jets lose to a winless team because the winless team was the pittsburgh steelers.

You expect a home field advantage???  :rl:   Jets fans and broker ticket holders have always sold the good games to make $$$$ for the rest of the season.

He had a 80 yard TD if he didnt have the piano on his back.

I've seen this exact post a few times from you and others on here and I'm not calling you guys out, I'm just trying to figure out if it's that you're looking for reasons to dislike Hill or that you have some uncanny expectation of how fast a player can be. He ran past Ike Taylor and Palamalu as if they were standing still.

I wanted to post this gif as I think this shows just how far he's come since his rookie year: yes he doesn't make the catch, because Geno overthrows him, but he shows that he can beat press coverage and blow past Ike Taylor and forces Polamalu to take a poor angle. The kid has talent and will likely break out next year in his third year. 

hill.gif

Edit: Firstly, I didn't know it was even possible to overthrow Hill, so I guess Geno does have a stronger arm than some gave him credit for ;) But Geno's gotta make this throw.  I saw Brady miss Amendola on a similar play in their game and miss another guaranteed td later, so it does happen, but if you want to win with this squad, you need to hit that every time.

That was impressive.

Especially for a guy people were already labeling a bust before his 2nd year even started... LOL

It really is.  I've noticed MM lining Hill up at the Z position a lot more, so as to allow him to use his quickness and speed to beat press man, as was shown here that he can do.  He has all the talent in the world and has even show some after the catch ability the last two games in picking up big first downs when catch the ball 4 or 5 yards shy of the marker.  Even missing the Tennessee game and serving primarily as a decoy until the last drive of the Atlanta game, he's probably going to end up with 700+ yards and 5 or so tds, which will be exactly the type of progress we were hoping to see out of him in his second year.  If we maintain consistency at QB, he's going to be prime for a breakout 1000+ yard year next season. It's obvious he's got everything you want in a receiver, but the thing that seems to separate him from a lot of the other guys is that he's a hard-worker, isn't a diva and seemingly wants to get better. I've actually got high hopes for this kid.

I've seen this exact post a few times from you and others on here and I'm not calling you guys out, I'm just trying to figure out if it's that you're looking for reasons to dislike Hill or that you have some uncanny expectation of how fast a player can be. He ran past Ike Taylor and Palamalu as if they were standing still.

I wanted to post this gif as I think this shows just how far he's come since his rookie year: yes he doesn't make the catch, because Geno overthrows him, but he shows that he can beat press coverage and blow past Ike Taylor and forces Polamalu to take a poor angle. The kid has talent and will likely break out next year in his third year. 

hill.gif

Edit: Firstly, I didn't know it was even possible to overthrow Hill, so I guess Geno does have a stronger arm than some gave him credit for ;) But Geno's gotta make this throw.  I saw Brady miss Amendola on a similar play in their game and miss another guaranteed td later, so it does happen, but if you want to win with this squad, you need to hit that every time.

Now just do this a few times every week and then maybe we have a competent WR.

Now just do this a few times every week and then maybe we have a competent WR.

I've noticed the last couple weeks without Holmes, both Atlanta and Pittsburgh were rolling a lot of coverage over Hill; they certainly knew where he was on every snap. If Talib is not on the field this week, I expect Hill to have a big day. In all honesty, I expect Cumberland to have the biggest day seeing as they're probably going to be forced to play Spikes and Collins a bit more and between them and Hightower, none of their linebackers can keep up with him.  

Archived