Bullish on Jets QB situation.

Kleckineau

With Quinn gone, and with the Jets giving Simms a vote of confidence keeping him at #2 on the depth chart ahead of Garrard. Jets are in a better state than a majority of the other teams.

Aside from the handful of obvious (some aging) superstars a quick look around the league at other teams QB situations can make a Jet fan feel bullish on the future of the most important position on the team. Wow, just look at St Louis, Favre? Really? Jags, Texans? Smith is really flashing ability and we have a rocket armed #2 just waiting for his chance. Dont know if many of you feel the same way but I think its been along time

(I never was a Sanchez believer) since we could be this optimistic regarding the QB position.

We were told the QB pool this year was so deep but there are problems everywhere, including some teams that have entrenched starters.  Guys like RG3, Kaepernick, Newton, Flacco, Brady, Palmer, and of course Schaub and Eli Manning have had varying degrees of struggles.  I'd say these are the only teams in the league who can feel fully confident about their QB situations right now:

Broncos (though Peyton is 37 and his throws are getting more wobbly every day)

Saints

Packers

Colts

Falcons

Chargers

Lions (though Stafford looked absolutely pathetic without Megatron)

Seahawks

49ers (Kaepernick will improve)

The other 23 teams have significant question marks.  We're one of them, but I like Geno better than at least 12-15 other starting QB's around the league.  I'd rather have him than Dalton, Cutler, Vick/Foles, Alex Smith, EJ Manuel/Thad Lewis, Pryor, Glennon, Schaub, Palmer, or the Vikings/Jaguars/Cleveland's trash for sure. 

any bullish feeling on Geno is based on him cutting out the dumb ints. He is basically a more mobile, less talented Vinny T right now. He thrown terrible interceptions in 6 out of 7 games. the fact that Brady also threw a pick 6 doesn't excuse Geno's pick 6. 

any bullish feeling on Geno is based on him cutting out the dumb ints. He is basically a more mobile, less talented Vinny T right now. He thrown terrible interceptions in 6 out of 7 games. the fact that Brady also threw a pick 6 doesn't excuse Geno's pick 6. 

Are we talking Vinny T after 7 years or 7 games?

Are we talking Vinny T after 7 years or 7 games?

Vinny T played in 6 games his rookie year, 5 TD, 6 INT, 60% comp rate. So i guess the 7 games one. Geno is currently at 8/11 58%.

remember there was a year 1998 when Vinny threw 29 TD and 7 INT but for his career he's 275/267 about 50/50 ratio.

I don't think Vinny was a bust or even a bad player. He's just not super elite.  I don't see how the Jets can feel super good about Geno Smith right now. He's only played 1 clean game out of 7. too many turnovers.

Vinny T played in 6 games his rookie year, 5 TD, 6 INT, 60% comp rate. So i guess the 7 games one. Geno is currently at 8/11 60%.

remember there was a year 1998 when Vinny threw 29 TD and 7 INT but for his career he's 275/267 about 50/50 ratio.

I don't think Vinny was a bust or even a bad player. He's just not super elite. 

I'm guessing he sat part of the year and came in later in the season?  Would have been nice if we could have done that with Geno.  Personally I loved Vinny.  Who knows what might have happen if the Pats didn't pay the grounds keeper to make his Achilles explode the first game of that year?  He deserves fan base loyalty for life based on the Monday Night Miracle alone. 

Good Point. Geno's pick 6 was his worst play of the game, not because of the pick 6, but just because of the play. The moment Geno let that ball go, you could see pick 6 written all over it. It was that bad. But besides that throw, I honestly couldn't think of another throw to criticize him. Every QB will be off target every now and then, but he only had one real bad throw. Im excited to see him play. I might get burned for this, but his deep ball skill is so great, its better than any QB in the league right now.

Really?

I have a feeling you are gonna end up in Baghdad Bob territory on Geno. 

Really?

I have a feeling you are gonna end up in Baghdad Bob territory on Geno. 

i have a feeling everyone's gonna end up in Mark Sanchez territory on Geno.  we were all bullish on the QB position in 2009 (despite every other poster claiming they weren't Mark Sanchez believers)  

Geno's looked a lot better since Ducasse stopped getting him killed. What ever happened to Ducasse?

Brian Winters gave up 2 sacks to some UDFA jag named Chris Jones. The only way he's better is that he's not as penalized. Vlad is actually a better player than Winters, other than the penalties.  it's kinda like pick your poison at LG right now. 

Vinny T played in 6 games his rookie year, 5 TD, 6 INT, 60% comp rate. So i guess the 7 games one. Geno is currently at 8/11 58%.

I don't think Vinny was a bust or even a bad player. He's just not super elite. I don't see how the Jets can feel super good about Geno Smith right now. He's only played 1 clean game out of 7. too many turnovers.

Vinny is a modern legend

Brian Winters gave up 2 sacks to some UDFA jag named Chris Jones. The only way he's better is that he's not as penalized. Vlad is actually a better player than Winters, other than the penalties.  it's kinda like pick your poison at LG right now. 

He's a rookie who's taken Vlad's job away....he's light years ahead of Vlad....

i have a feeling everyone's gonna end up in Mark Sanchez territory on Geno.  we were all bullish on the QB position in 2009 (despite every other poster claiming they weren't Mark Sanchez believers)  

Well why even bother comparing  guys with 4 yrs in the league who are known to stink vs rookies who have yet to prove (or disprove) themselves??

He's a rookie who's taken Vlad's job away....he's light years ahead of Vlad....

TS made a comment that Geno is doing better since the Winters-Vlad sub. The play of Winters doesn't back up that statement. they are both awful. WInters is less penalized and that's important.  but he was dominated last week by a rookie on his 3rd team and gave up alot of pressure against ATL too. 

Well why even bother comparing  guys with 4 yrs in the league who are known to stink vs rookies who have yet to prove (or disprove) themselves??

this thread is called Bullish on the Jets QB situation. im just not that bullish.  they could very well be in the QB market again, soon. 

TS made a comment that Geno is doing better since the Winters-Vlad sub. The play of Winters doesn't back up that statement. they are both awful. WInters is less penalized and that's important. but he was dominated last week by a rookie on his 3rd team and gave up alot of pressure against ATL too.

I'm just saying, Geno has been better with Winters in front of him. That's truth.

this thread is called Bullish on the Jets QB situation. im just not that bullish.  they could very well be in the QB market again, soon. 

OK thats fine. I dont have any overwhelming need for you to agree with the o/p but ...............again

why even bother comparing  guys with 4 yrs in the league who are known to stink vs rookies who have yet to prove (or disprove) themselves??

No true. For every guy who loved Sanchez there was one who was either cautious or flat out saying he stunk. 

I'm just saying, Geno has been better with Winters in front of him. That's truth.

slightly better. but I dont know how to look at the bottom line stats and feel bullish. 

geno with vlad 78-136 57.3% 3 td, 8 int 1 rushing td
geno with winters 52-87 59.7% 4 td, 3 int 1 rushing td

total numbers
130-223 58.3% 8TD 11 Int, 2 rushing tds

note that his yards per game are way down in the last 3 contests. more rushing?  272 ypg vs 211 ypg

OK thats fine. I dont have any overwhelming need for you to agree with the o/p but ...............again

why even bother comparing  guys with 4 yrs in the league who are known to stink vs rookies who have yet to prove (or disprove) themselves??

it cuts both ways if im not allowed to compare Geno to any non rookies or Brian to Vlad, than the OP can't do it either. Feeling bullish on Geno means you are comparing him to all the QBs in the league and feel good that the Jets aren't gonna be shopping for another one next year. 

it cuts both ways if im not allowed to compare Geno to any non rookies or Brian to Vlad, than the OP can't do it either. Feeling bullish on Geno means you are comparing him to all the QBs in the league and feel good that the Jets aren't gonna be shopping for another one next year. 

No, you are putting to much of your own stuff in the blender here. Bullish feeling of today was only meant in the context of constantly feeling bearish since approximately Chad P's 2nd season as a starter. As far as other NFL QB's, I made no direct comparisons. I only compared the Jets overall present QB situation including Matt Simms to other teams situations. There were no player to player comparisons like you try to inject with Vlad, Brian, Sanchez, Geno etc..

When it comes to Geno, bit's position is clearly not so much bullish as it is bullsh*t

Truer words were never spoken.  It must suck to have your favorite team finally get a QB who has won 4 games in his final drive in his first 7 starts and not be able to enjoy it because you made a poor assessment of the guy's ability before the draft and can't admit your mistake.

TS made a comment that Geno is doing better since the Winters-Vlad sub. The play of Winters doesn't back up that statement. they are both awful. WInters is less penalized and that's important.  but he was dominated last week by a rookie on his 3rd team and gave up alot of pressure against ATL too. 

But the rub is that Winters is a rookie - we don't know his ceiling to improve - Vlad is just...well...bad and really is never going to improve.

Really? That isn't my memory.

He sucked as a rookie and he sucked after he was a rookie.  Had a couple of very good statistical half-games and made a handful of really great throws over the years.  Considering the number of attempts, the law of averages says there are going to be some. I'm sure a Lions fan could isolate just as many great throws that Joey Harrington made.

Truer words were never spoken.  It must suck to have your favorite team finally get a QB who has won 4 games in his final drive in his first 7 starts and not be able to enjoy it because you made a poor assessment of the guy's ability before the draft and can't admit your mistake.

I dare you to find my poor assessment of Geno pre-draft, It doesn't exist. 

Really? That isn't my memory.

He sucked as a rookie and he sucked after he was a rookie.  Had a couple of very good statistical half-games and made a handful of really great throws over the years.  Considering the number of attempts, the law of averages says there are going to be some. I'm sure a Lions fan could isolate just as many great throws that Joey Harrington made.

we could say the same about geno. He's had 1 very good game. He's had 1 game with only 1 turnover (a pick 6). He's had 5 multiple turnover games. these are the facts. People are bullish on Geno cause they want to be bullish. It's not based on results. 

Archived