Sloppy Practice Leads to Rex Calling Out Team

flgreen

By Kristian DyerPublished:  October 24, 2013
Jets Notebook: Sloppy practice leads to Rex Ryan calling out team
Rex.jpg

With the top team in the AFC North in the Bengals waiting for them on Sunday, the Jets better not be as sloppy as they were in practice Thursday or it could be a long afternoon for the men in green.

Head coach Rex Ryan called out his team on Thursday for their sloppy play on the practice field, an unusual move from a head coach that is consistently upbeat. But Ryan didn’t like what he saw from his team, including a number of bad drops and poor execution.

RELATED ARTICLES

He wouldn’t use Thursday’s brisk weather, with temperature in the low-50s, as a reason for the sloppy play.

“[We are] still not exactly there, not hitting on everything yet. It’s not a concern, it’s just we know we have to get sharper, we have to get better and tomorrow has to be that way,” Ryan said. “Mentally, I think we’re pretty good but it’s just the execution of some things and the weather can’t be an excuse.”

Ryan clarified that the heart of the issue was on the offensive side of the ball — in particular, a beleaguered receiving corps that has struggled with drops throughout the season.

“We dropped some balls, things like that,” Ryan said. “The execution was not where we wanted it to be.”

Jets notes …

» Wide receiver Santonio Holmes did not practice on Thursday as he continues to struggle with a hamstring injury he suffered in Week 4. A team source tells Metro that Holmes has a “10 percent chance to play” on Sunday.

» Tight end Jeff Cumberland (hamstring), who was unable to practice Wednesday, was limited on Thursday and looks likely for this weekend. In addition, safety Antonio Allen (groin and finger), wide receiver Jeremey Kerley (hamstring), Nick Mangold (ribs), Konrad Reuland (knee) and wide receiver Greg Salas (knee) were all limited. Kerley was a new addition to the list.

“It’s a new injury, a hamstring. It’s not that it kept him out of everything,” Ryan said. “More precaution than anything else.”

» Patriots cornerback Logan Ryan was fined $10,000 for his lewd celebration off his pick-six against the Jets in the second quarter of this past Sunday’s game.

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/2013/10/24/jets-notebook-sloppy-practice-leads-to-rex-ryan-calling-out-team/#sthash.sNsi9tEA.dpuf

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he yelled at them at halftime last Sunday too. Good, keep it up

I would love to know what was said at halftime.  Because the team that came out in the 2nd half was a different one.

Can't wait for Rex's extension to be announced.

Makes sense.  We need to stop the trend of looking great one week then dreadful the following one.  Cincy is a very winnable game, albeit on the road, and we can't afford to come out flat.

This has been one of my biggest complaints about Rex. Seems he can only motivate when the team is down and people are saying they stink. He has not yet shown he can keep the team on a high level when production (and wins) are expected. They always seem to act like the guys on Wayne's World, "We're not worthy."

I was thinking that he finally lost the team. They need to get Bevell or Gruden ASAP. 

He admitted he lost the team in 2010. And the team acted like it was separated from the coach in 2011.

Now, it would be nice to see if this current little wave is a blip, or more inconsistency, in a sea of inconsistency.

Players coach. No accountability. Rex sucks

If Gronk had two good arms and had caught that layup in the end of the 4th, where he had five yards separation behind Antonio Allen and then walked into the end zone and scored, leading this fanbase to cry all week, I wonder where the Rex crowd would be right now, with Antonio Allen continuing anyway to start in Cincy. I guess the cry would be "rebuilding year" ?

If Gronk had two good arms and had caught that layup in the end of the 4th, where he had five yards separation behind Antonio Allen and then walked into the end zone and scored, leading this fanbase to cry all week, I wonder where the Rex crowd would be right now, with Antonio Allen continuing anyway to start in Cincy. I guess the cry would be "rebuilding year" ?

He didn't though, and the Jets are 4-3. 

It is still a rebuilding year though.

He admitted he lost the team in 2010. And the team acted like it was separated from the coach in 2011.

Now, it would be nice to see if this current little wave is a blip, or more inconsistency, in a sea of inconsistency.

No doubt! That 2010 team looked lost as a muh out there. Where were they bro? Not under the guidance of Gruden or Bevell, that's where. 

Why do so many people keep saying "What if" with our season already?  Every game we've won, we earned.  Every game we lost, we earned.  We outplayed Tampa, Buffalo, Atlanta and New England (the 2nd time).  We were outplayed clearly by Tennessee and Pittsburgh, and deserved to lose @ NE.  We are what our record says we are:  4-3.

If Stephen Hill didn't get a ridiculous PI call on a TD...

You can play the what if game with any team, any year.  

- What if Brady's fumble counted in the AFC Championship Game against the Raiders?

- What if David Tyree doesn't make that catch against his helmet in 2007?

- What if Scott Norwood hooked his kick just a bit to the left?

We can keep going with this all day.

The Jets dominated the game on Sunday, and won.  Your hatred for Rex is making you look silly.

Why do so many people keep saying "What if" with our season already?  Every game we've won, we earned.  Every game we lost, we earned.  We outplayed Tampa, Buffalo, Atlanta and New England (the 2nd time).  We were outplayed clearly by Tennessee and Pittsburgh, and deserved to lose @ NE.  We are what our record says we are:  4-3.

Especially since this is the ******* NFL where manufactured drama results in many games being decided by events that can be deemed pure luck. WHAT IF Bledsoe never gets hurt? WHAT IF whatever the tuck rule is doesn't favor the Pats? WHAT IF Tyree doesn't make that catch? On and on...complete waste of time. 

This is nonsense, there are a bunch of plays in every single game that could be "what if's" (except Giants games).  If there was no bogus PI call on Hill the game would have been over right there.  But there was, so it is irrelevant, just like Gronk having 2, 3 or 4 good arms.

Doh, multiple ninja's in this thread!

I think everyone is missing the real "news" of this story-A head coach actually called his team on not performing up to snuff in practice.

Imagine that and the guts and out of box thinking that took.

I am beginning to change my direction on Rex. This was some adept coaching acumen put to work here. I can't wait to impart this strategy on my son's 14u coach. He will be forever thankful.

Edit-Oh, and think how he probably tried to keep this away from the media. He did not want them to know this happened. 

Probably saying what everyone knows win or lose:  that Antonio Allen is a 7th round backup who's starting because there isn't anyone good on the roster.  He may be a decent backup, but a backup he is. 

This is a rebuilding year.  It is more enjoyable that we're 4-3 instead of 1-6 during a rebuilding year, but that doesn't change it.  There's something like $50-60M of our $120M-ish cap being spent on a few overrated, overpaid players plus others who aren't even on the team anymore.

It could have been made into a bit more competitive rebuilding year, by maxing things out this year instead of saving it for 2014, but I like the idea of at a MINIMUM getting 1 full draft under our belts before going out and getting FAs to fill the double-digit starting holes and double-digit depth/backup spots that we needed after Tannenbaum was canned.

Players coach. No accountability. Rex sucks

Glad to see you're finally admitting it!   :winking0001:   Seriously, I'm very pleased that Rex is showing more leadership and holding players accountable.  He is growing as a HC.  If he keeps it up, I may even start to like him again.

I think everyone is missing the real "news" of this story-A head coach actually called his team on not performing up to snuff in practice.

Imagine that and the guts and out of box thinking that took.

I am beginning to change my direction on Rex. This was some adept coaching acumen put to work here. I can't wait to impart this strategy on my son's 14u coach. He will be forever thankful.

Edit-Oh, and think how he probably tried to keep this away from the media. He did not want them to know this happened. 

I can't tell for sure, but I think this was sarcasm.

What coach really has to go to the media and say-"hey, guess what guys? I chewed the team out at practice"?

Does any other coach find it necessary to say this stuff?

Only Rex's bitch ass.  If that piece of sh*t actually knew how to coach, there wouldnt be no sloppy practice.

Archived