Muhammad Wilkerson tirade doesn’t inspire Jets

Jetfan13

Jets defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson gave an intense halftime speech -- that didn't work.

Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson had one of the few good plays for the Jets on Sunday against the Bengals and he had a good moment at halftime.

Wilkerson, an emerging leader of the team, lit into his teammates at the intermission, imploring them to improve their play.

“I just told the guys it’s not Jets football the way that we’re playing,” Wilkerson said. “We have to step up. Unfortunately we didn’t get the job done and play Jets football.”

Rookie quarterback Geno Smith didn’t get the message. He threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown by Chris Crocker on the first play of the second half and the Bengals went on to a 49-9 victory.

Wilkerson had a big play in the second quarter, when he tipped an Andy Dalton pass and then intercepted it. The play gave the Jets the ball at the Bengals’ 30 trailing 14-0, but the offense could only muster a field goal.

“All we can do as a defense is try to turn over the ball,” Wilkerson said. “We got a turnover there and the offense was in good field position. We’ve got to convert touchdowns instead of three points.”

It was a quiet day for the defensive line, which managed just one sack — and that was the Jets’ only hit on Dalton in the game. Wilkerson said Dalton was getting the ball out quickly because the Jets secondary was unable to jam receivers at the line.

“It works hand in hand,” Wilkerson said. “We got balls thrown over our head. It works both ways. If those guys don’t hold them up for a second, those receivers, then there’s no point in rushing really.”

Quarterback Matt Simms made his NFL debut in the fourth quarter when he replaced Smith. Simms completed 3-of-7 passes for 17 yards and ran for 35 yards on three carries. He was actually the Jets leading rusher. He scrambled for 10 yards on fourth-and-11 and made a diving attempt at the first down.

“There were a lot of emotions going,” Simms said. “I was very excited to go in, but obviously, not in those circumstances. It was still a good experience to get out there and see the field and the defense.”

Tight end Jeff Cumberland suffered a head injury in the third quarter and did not return. … Wide receiver David Nelson had a season-high eight receptions for 80 yards. … Tight end Zach Sudfeld had his first career reception and finished with two catches for 10 yards. … Smith now has 16 turnovers this season. … A week after rushing for 104 yards, Chris Ivory had just 11 on six carries. … ESPN reported the NFL admitted the Jets should have been penalized for pushing on the Patriots’ game-tying field goal in the final minute of regulation last week when Quinton Coples gave Wilkerson a shove.

3-7 17 yards against backups in mop-up duty. You're right. Cut Geno. Start Simms.

yes but 0 pick 6's! no interceptions of any kind actually. how refreshing. 

i never said cut Geno btw maybe he can learn about making reads and coverages without actually taking reps. Maybe a week or two off would do him good.  we are rapidly approaching "It couldn't be worse" Territory with him. 

i never said cut Geno btw maybe he can learn about making reads and coverages without actually taking reps. Maybe a week or two off would do him good. we are rapidly approaching "It couldn't be worse" Territory with him.

You just said it wasn't a misread of coverages in another thread, make up your mind. Couldn't be worse? He was directly responsible in all of our wins, not really seeing the josh freeman/Christian ponder/gabbert/Sanchez "couldn't be worse territory."

You just said it wasn't a misread of coverages in another thread, make up your mind. Couldn't be worse? He was directly responsible in all of our wins, not really seeing the josh freeman/Christian ponder/gabbert/Sanchez "couldn't be worse territory."

the first pick 6 wasn't a misread in coverage. But Geno on 3rd down showed no awareness of who was coming, from where and who was open. he's throwing multiple picks in 6 out of 8 games, he's had a buttfumble, he's basically Sanchez all over again. 

the first pick 6 wasn't a misread in coverage. But Geno on 3rd down showed no awareness of who was coming, from where and who was open. he's throwing multiple picks in 6 out of 8 games, he's had a buttfumble, he's basically Sanchez all over again.

Knock it off with the buttfumble. You were one of the biggest supporters, with which I agreed, of saying that it wasnt even that bad of a play considering how badly wilfork blew up Moore. Now you're using it to drive your agenda. C'mon.

Knock it off with the buttfumble. You were one of the biggest supporters, with which I agreed, of saying that it wasnt even that bad of a play considering how badly wilfork blew up Moore. Now you're using it to drive your agenda. C'mon.

the buttfumble was one of those moments that can't be defended against, Mark will never live it down and it was a national embarrassment. 

My "agenda" btw is watching and enjoying the Jets. maybe we'd enjoy the games more if Matt Simms was starting. 

OH MY GOD, be careful Bit, u will be labeled a Sanchez apologist and be attacked by everyone who has no clue...

the buttfumble was one of those moments that can't be defended against, Mark will never live it down and it was a national embarrassment. 

My "agenda" btw is watching and enjoying the Jets. maybe we'd enjoy the games more if Matt Simms was starting. 

Did Geno kick your dog or something?

Did Geno kick your dog or something?

My problem with Geno is he never earned this job. He wasn't playing better than Mark, before Mark was hurt, and honestly Matt Simms or David Garrard might be better. It's not that crazy of a statement we are talking about the 29th rated QB in football.

A football team should be a meritocracy. When you elevate not ready starters because of what you hope they turn into, bad things happen. 

You are honestly arguing for Simms? I don't get it, why are you arguing for a kid who will be a back-up for the next 5 years? Smith has to learn from his mistakes and benching him for Simms makes zero sense. You are aware of Simms background right? He's been a complete azz since his high school days.

My problem with Geno is he never earned this job. He wasn't playing better than Mark, before Mark was hurt, and honestly Matt Simms or David Garrard might be better. It's not that crazy of a statement we are talking about the 29th rated QB in football.

A football team should be a meritocracy. When you elevate not ready starters because of what you hope they turn into, bad things happen. 

Dude, Matt Simms is not the answer.

You are honestly arguing for Simms? I don't get it, why are you arguing for a kid who will be a back-up for the next 5 years? Smith has to learn from his mistakes and benching him for Simms makes zero sense. You are aware of Simms background right? He's been a complete azz since his high school days.

Just wondering.  Is Geno learning from his mistakes? 

It's tough to get much pressure on 3 step drops.

You and Bit are the absolute worst at just saying one liners and walking away as if it should be taken for fact.  There were numerous times yesterday where regardless of the number of men we sent their offensive line gave Dalton 4+ seconds to throw the ball.  If you've been paying attention to the Bengals at all you'd know that Cook has drawn rave reviews for his line calls and has garnered a couple game balls for doing so. Cook and that line is one of the biggest, if not the biggest reason for their success the last three weeks, giving Dalton all day to scan the field and find his receivers.  You're acting like they dinked and dunked down the field all day; they had a half dozen plays of over 20 yards and two went for 53, not exactly the bubble screens and 5 yard outs that you're alluding too.

You and Bit are the absolute worst at just saying one liners and walking away as if it should be taken for fact.  There were numerous times yesterday where regardless of the number of men we sent their offensive line gave Dalton 4+ seconds to throw the ball.  If you've been paying attention to the Bengals at all you'd know that Cook has drawn rave reviews for his line calls and has garnered a couple game balls for doing so. Cook and that line is one of the biggest, if not the biggest reason for their success the last three weeks, giving Dalton all day to scan the field and find his receivers.  You're acting like they dinked and dunked down the field all day; they had a half dozen plays of over 20 yards and two went for 53, not exactly the bubble screens and 5 yard outs that you're alluding too.

Dalton was for the most part throwing the ball up for grabs and his receivers were winning battles against our sh*tstorm secondary. He had 19 completions...you take good receivers and match them up against bad corners, you have what happened yesterday. Dalton was releasing the ball fairly quickly, even if he was taking shots.

Yeah when a guy catches the ball for 53 yard gains twice blows that theory

i never said cut Geno btw maybe he can learn about making reads and coverages without actually taking reps. Maybe a week or two off would do him good.  we are rapidly approaching "It couldn't be worse" Territory with him. 

Take those pick 6's away and give us the TD's instead that is a 28 point swing. We still loose by 12 points. The team as a whole just isn't that good.

Yeah when a guy catches the ball for 53 yard gains twice blows that theory

We had decent pressure on Green's second 53 yard completion(Wilkerson hit Dalton as he threw it). Green just toasted Cromartie.

All of Jones' TD's were on quick passes.

Dalton was for the most part throwing the ball up for grabs and his receivers were winning battles against our sh*tstorm secondary. He had 19 completions...you take good receivers and match them up against bad corners, you have what happened yesterday. Dalton was releasing the ball fairly quickly, even if he was taking shots.

He threw the ball quickly on a number of passes, including two beautiful back shoulder throws to Jones, agreed,  I'm not saying he sat in the pocket for 7 seconds all game. But you're statement was made to completely absolve the defensive line in their inability to get to the quarterback and it's unfounded. They made a couple plays, but by and large they were quite ineffective at making him uncomfortable and that led to a lot of their success. Once again, I don't think the blame should fall on our dline's shoulders, rather that sometimes you have to give credit to the opposing team and seeing as how this is something they've done the last few weeks during their winning streak, it's safe to say it wasn't a fluke. We got beat by a better team, it happens. Now, we just have to hope, as they've done this year, they can regroup and get a big win this next weekend. 

He threw the ball quickly on a number of passes, including two beautiful back shoulder throws to Jones, agreed,  I'm not saying he sat in the pocket for 7 seconds all game. But you're statement was made to completely absolve the defensive line in their inability to get to the quarterback and it's unfounded. They made a couple plays, but by and large they were quite ineffective at making him uncomfortable and that led to a lot of their success. Once again, I don't think the blame should fall on our dline's shoulders, rather that sometimes you have to give credit to the opposing team and seeing as how this is something they've done the last few weeks during their winning streak, it's safe to say it wasn't a fluke. We got beat by a better team, it happens. Now, we just have to hope, as they've done this year, they can regroup and get a big win this next weekend. 

He only had 19 completions though. 19 for 320 is on the secondary. Like I mentioned the second Green bomb Wilkerson and Coples applied pressure. Dalton found Jones on quick passes against sh*tty corners for scores.

I wish we had a better edge rusher, but the line play was far from our issues yesterday.

Archived