Rex showing that he is incapable of learning.

DonCorleone

This is what's so beguiling to me: Rex has been here five years. This is the final product. This is what he's put together. Regardless of how bad the GMs allegedly ****ed him over, where are all of these players he was supposed to attract? Where are these players that this player's coach was going to create here? Rex fans were outright giddy that he had the team at .500. After five years as coach. He's supposed to be competing for titles by now. Instead, it's in full rebuild.

This is the "he should have been fired this offseason" defense.  Nothing has happened in 2013 that would definitively decide his fate one way or the other.  If they continue this death spiral he is done, but they still are doing better than expected.  You love this bullsh*t 5 years story, but Rex was not given freedom to hire his own coordinators and I question how much input he has had on personnel. Everybody knew they would suck this year, why blame him now if you didn't before?  

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, I imagine most people thought that Sanchez would be at least a little better than Smith.

Coming off of 2010, when he wasn't awful-awful, yes, but he and Tannenbaum still jumped in with both feet for 2011 without checking how deep the water was. Regardless of how bad Sanchez was, that's no excuse for the rest of the roster being so depleted.

He's had five years to find his Alex Smith and he didn't do it. His response to developing Sanchez was to surround him with Holmes, Plaxico, and Derrick Mason. Then it was to hire Tony Sparano. If you're going to let Mark Sanchez destroy your regime, you need a better regime.

Sadly this is true.

He chases Asomgua while letting the line and receiving core go to crap. He should have known Sanchez was not good enough to carry a team, but he wanted to build the 85 bears d, which is not really possible anymore.

2011 set the team down the path it is today.

This is the "he should have been fired this offseason" defense. Nothing has happened in 2013 that would definitively decide his fate one way or the other. If they continue this death spiral he is done, but they still are doing better than expected. You love this bullsh*t 5 years story, but Rex was not given freedom to hire his own coordinators and I question how much input he has had on personnel. Everybody knew they would suck this year, why blame him now if you didn't before?

Pettine was his BFF. He personally hired Tony Sparano. I thought they'd be 7-9 this year. Tell dbatesman that you care about his opinions.

Pettine was his BFF. He personally hired Tony Sparano. I thought they'd be 7-9 this year. Tell dbatesman that you care about his opinions.

Pettine was good, Sparano was horrible.  They didn't fire him this offseason. It is possible that is because of his contract and the fact that they knew the team would suck anyway.  Assuming they were looking at him neutrally this season, why would you fire him based on their performance?  They are doing as or better than you expected.  Many expected worse.  dbatesman can survive and thrive without my approval. 

Pettine was good, Sparano was horrible. They didn't fire him this offseason. It is possible that is because of his contract and the fact that they knew the team would suck anyway. Assuming they were looking at him neutrally this season, why would you fire him based on their performance? They are doing as or better than you expected. Many expected worse. dbatesman can survive and thrive without my approval.

You're an esteemed member of this community and your approval has significant value.

If you wanted to look at Rex in an entirely objective fashion while pretending that the prior four years didn't exist, you'd fire the living sh*t out of him. Third in penalties, a 40 point loss, two other 20+ point defeats, the regression of the offense, the disturbing inability to get anything from the young players on the roster not named Sheldon Richardson, ruining the QB, etc. I'm not sure if nipping the Saints at home offsets any of that.

Here's an issue based on some type of reality with Rex. This offseason, "I've finally figured it out, I want my offense like my defense. I want to attack."

Loluzza.

What a great post, I completly forgot he said that in his " I've been here four years but I want a do-over" press conference ...

You're an esteemed member of this community and your approval has significant value.

If you wanted to look at Rex in an entirely objective fashion while pretending that the prior four years didn't exist, you'd fire the living sh*t out of him. Third in penalties, a 40 point loss, two other 20+ point defeats, the regression of the offense, the disturbing inability to get anything from the young players on the roster not named Sheldon Richardson, ruining the QB, etc. I'm not sure if nipping the Saints at home offsets any of that.

He is coaching a new team.  New teams suck.  Idzik is making this roster and he should judge based on this roster.  Blaming Rex because Willie Colon is a penalty machine seems a little off the wall to me.

IF not for 2 fluke gift of God penalties, our real record would be 3-8 as well. There is no talking reason into these Rex apologists, they are in love.

In the NFL for some time now if you run the ball a bit, don't turn it over and field decent defense and specials you can lock in 6-8 wins because the schedule is littered with Tampas and Buffalos. Inferior coaches like Edwards and Wrecks figure this out. If you can do a little better or have some decent luck you can even get to 9-10 wins and a playoff berth. Porblem is you are not winning anything unless you can pass effectively. And risk averse defese-oriented guys like them want nothing to do with having a QB throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs. They want to win time of possession running and have a nice low score of 17-13. But it's ultimately crappy football, and as the rules get more skewed to passing it might not ever get you near that 6-8 wins any more. And if your QB is a turnover machine you are extra crispy f__ked.

The only card Wrecks has left to play is Simms.That he hasn;t shows he really might be THAT F__ING STUPID. It may fail but otherwise he's looking for work in January. And no sane NFL owner is hiring this sheetshow except to be DC. If the reason they won't play Simms is because of Smith's draft status that's even worse for thIS franchise. It's as if having lived through Sanchez they learned nothing. The job is to win football games, not worry about tender egos. And a whole bunch of HoF QBs(and Simms' dad!) got benched at times in their careers. Not sure Smith is even adequate, but he is not helping and he needs to sit. This franchise does it's fans a grave disservice by not seeing if Simms might get them near a playoff berth.

So happy we dumped ourt tickets. F___ YOU, WOODY.

Apparently it's impossible to blame Rex for anything.

You can blame him for killing Kennedy.  It does not change the fact that nothing in 2013 has been decisive one way or the other.  We don't know Idzik's thought process and he might have made up his mind before the year started.  If this was a "show me" season, then Rex probably has not done enough.  OTOH, if Idzik had reasonable expectations for the season and the roster was on Tannenbaum, there would be no reason to fire him. 

You can blame him for killing Kennedy.  It does not change the fact that nothing in 2013 has been decisive one way or the other.  We don't know Idzik's thought process and he might have made up his mind before the year started.  If this was a "show me" season, then Rex probably has not done enough.  OTOH, if Idzik had reasonable expectations for the season and the roster was on Tannenbaum, there would be no reason to fire him. 

Do you believe that Idzik did not have any preconceived notions about Rex before the season? Do you witness how short a leash that he has given Rex over decisions of personnel and candor with the media?

You honestly think that what he has witnessed as shortfalls in the past, have been overturned by this performance this year?

I understand hating Rex, but some of the logic escapes me completely.

Just hate!  If you are going to hate, just hate!  LOL.  My feelings on Rex are the same as they ever were.  I know he can coach defense against most teams (maybe not Pitt and Baltimore).  I just do not think that the qualities he displays are good Head coaching qualities.  I want someone who knows something about both sides of the ball. Sure he is an expert on D.  But that does not mean he cannot try and understand offense and offensive talent. Hell, he plays agains offenses all the time.  He would not know a good offensive talent if his life depended on it. This is a guy who came in his pants after talking to Mark Sanchez. This is a guy who game plans agains offense all the time and cannot figure out the toughest offense, or the toughest playing talent?  He just defers on everything except D?  Sorry.  I want a new guy.  I wanted a new guy when Idzik came in.  He might not deserve to get fired considering the talent he has had this year.  I just don't think he ever wins it because he just cannot control it all.

What a great post, I completly forgot he said that in his " I've been here four years but I want a do-over" press conference ...

The problem with this is that yes, Rex said he wants "an attacking offense" which to REX means that istead of crashing into the line on 1st , 2nd, and 3rd down, you crash it into the line on 1st and 2nd down, and then ask your crappy QB to convert by throwing it on 3rd and 8. Rex would gladly run it 50 times and pass 10 times, but since he is now attacking, he runs it 45 times and passes 15. Still 1960's type football. Laughable.

Do you believe that Idzik did not have any preconceived notions about Rex before the season? Do you witness how short a leash that he has given Rex over decisions of personnel and candor with the media?

You honestly think that what he has witnessed as shortfalls in the past, have been overturned by this performance this year?

Just hate!  If you are going to hate, just hate!  LOL.  My feelings on Rex are the same as they ever were.  I know he can coach defense against most teams (maybe not Pitt and Baltimore).  I just do not think that the qualities he displays are good Head coaching qualities.  I want someone who knows something about both sides of the ball. Sure he is an expert on D.  But that does not mean he cannot try and understand offense and offensive talent. Hell, he plays agains offenses all the time.  He would not know a good offensive talent if his life depended on it. This is a guy who came in his pants after talking to Mark Sanchez. This is a guy who game plans agains offense all the time and cannot figure out the toughest offense, or the toughest playing talent?  He just defers on everything except D?  Sorry.  I want a new guy.  I wanted a new guy when Idzik came in.  He might not deserve to get fired considering the talent he has had this year.  I just don't think he ever wins it because he just cannot control it all.

Do you guys follow my logic or are you just being dicks?  I'm not trying to convince anybody that Rex is good based on this season.  I'm not saying that Idzik didn't already make up his mind.  I am saying that giving the guy this roster and expecting more than you have gotten is questionable at best. Shane,  Dierking and Jack already wanted Rex gone.  That's fair enough.  It's certainly possible that Idzik felt the same way and only kept him because of the contract.  I don't know what Idzik is thinking.  Neither do you.  The one thing I hope is that the decision is Idzik's and not Johnson's. 

Do you guys follow my logic or are you just being dicks?  I'm not trying to convince anybody that Rex is good based on this season.  I'm not saying that Idzik didn't already make up his mind.  I am saying that giving the guy this roster and expecting more than you have gotten is questionable at best. Shane,  Dierking and Jack already wanted Rex gone.  That's fair enough.  It's certainly possible that Idzik felt the same way and only kept him because of the contract.  I don't know what Idzik is thinking.  Neither do you.  The one thing I hope is that the decision is Idzik's and not Johnson's. 

do you read posts to their conclusion before you comment?  I said I thought it might not be fair to fire Rex considering the talent this year, but I did not want them to keep him in the first place.  And yes, I was dicking around with my Hate remarks.  

He has used the same lines, tactics and makes the same mistakes that he has made with Sanchez. He needs to be removed from the position as he is destroying the defense by having a 3 and out or interception guy running the offense. The definition of instanity at its best. Win lose or draw, he needs to go.

Rex is not the HC that is going to lead the Jets to the promise land.

Rex is Buddy Ryan Jr. Another big mouth who can coach up a defense and bluster his way in to a HC job.

This is the part the scares me.   Obviously this team is limited in talent, especially on offense, and expecting Rex to go out with a 12-4 season is ridiculous.   But at some point somebody needs to take some blame for never thinking about an offense.  It's been 5 years now.  Maybe it was Tanny before, but is it now Idzik?  You can't rebuild a team in a season, but  being the offense has been pretty bad for years now and this season it's even worse than last,  something is wrong with that picture.  It's easy to think Rex is the cause, that leads hope for the future.   But if Rex really is being pushed aside with no say, it's scary to think this is the offense Idzik built.

This is the part the scares me.   Obviously this team is limited in talent, especially on offense, and expecting Rex to go out with a 12-4 season is ridiculous.   But at some point somebody needs to take some blame for never thinking about an offense.  It's been 5 years now.  Maybe it was Tanny before, but is it now Idzik?  You can't rebuild a team in a season, but  being the offense has been pretty bad for years now and this season it's even worse than last,  something is wrong with that picture.  It's easy to think Rex is the cause, that leads hope for the future.   But if Rex really is being pushed aside with no say, it's scary to think this is the offense Idzik built.

Eh.  I don't blame you for your concern, but I wouldn't blame Idzik for this mess on O.  Bad as it has been, the only thing to blame for being worse than last year is the QB.  Idzik didn't build this offense.  Tanny did and he just didn't reach to fix it.  They have money next year and I'd expect the vast majority to be spent on O.  If they don't take a big step forward then I'd really be concerned.

if Rex is ruining the defense, why are they the #1 run stopping unit in football? 

Carl Dunbar, is a great teacher and the Jets have all their no 1 draft choices on the line, some guys

picked very early in the first round, this what they concentrated on, however this thread isn't about

the one category that Jets are good, it's about all the other areas in which they are not just bad,

but very bad.  This is a huge problem because the Jets have regressed as a unit, particuarly

the offensive line, receivers, secondary, and the poor running game is about the same as it

has been the last couple of years.  Rex doesn't have the common sense to replace underperforming

coaches, and even promotes them. Rex makes the same mistakes as far as cutting good players

and not having any offense for long stretches of the season, not a good thing when you're 

an NFL coach, the real surprise is his secondary, and the overall defense being out of the top

10, it's bombs away against this group and we haven't seen the last of it.  I personally would

go deep on the Jets because it's easy.

if Rex is ruining the defense, why are they the #1 run stopping unit in football? 

Rex is still incompetent when it comes to running an offense. The D has been very good since he became the HC, but an HC must focus on both sides of the ball, not just on the defense. The offense has regressed under his five-year tenure to the point where it has become the joke of the league.

Of course, with all this talk of getting rid of Rex, nobody is paying attention to one thing:  Woody Johnson already had a highly regarded defensive mind as head coach who did horrendous with his first HC job, and Woody watched him walk away and win several Super Bowls with his new team.

Rex is much much better his first few years as HC than Belichick was.  Woody does not want Rex to walk away and be great for some other team.

If the Jets win a couple of more games, Rex stays.

Of course, with all this talk of getting rid of Rex, nobody is paying attention to one thing: Woody Johnson already had a highly regarded defensive mind as head coach who did horrendous with his first HC job, and Woody watched him walk away and win several Super Bowls with his new team.

Rex is much much better his first few years as HC than Belichick was. Woody does not want Rex to walk away and be great for some other team.

This is one of those posts where I wish I had a gif of a cat doing a backflip.

Of course, with all this talk of getting rid of Rex, nobody is paying attention to one thing:  Woody Johnson already had a highly regarded defensive mind as head coach who did horrendous with his first HC job, and Woody watched him walk away and win several Super Bowls with his new team.

Rex is much much better his first few years as HC than Belichick was.  Woody does not want Rex to walk away and be great for some other team.

Do you think REX will be lucky enough, in his next gig, to have his starting QB blasted by a linebacker, and then be replaced by a first ballot HOF, who just happened to be a 6th round draft pick? Happens about as often as you and I hitting POWERBALL.

^^ I don't think Rex will have to worry about his next gig for awhile because I think the Jets will win a couple of more games this year and they'll keep Rex and Geno.

We sent a kid out there before we wanted to because of Sanchez' injury with only one proven receiver, (Kerley), and Geno surprised us.  Then the only proven receiver got hurt and the offense plummeted while the guys we picked up off other's teams' practice squad dropped the ball while figuring out how to run our routes.  Not to mention that our only backfield receiver, Goodson, got suspended 4 games then promptly got injured for the year.

Geno can run much better than we thought and he throws 45 and 50 yard passes with the same ease of motion and accuracy as he throws 25 or 30 yard passes.   It's not his fault that he basically has nobody to pass to.

Archived