Kyle Wilson Named Jets Walter Payton Man of the Year

flgreen

Kyle Wilson named Jets' 2013 Walter Payton Man of the Year

Thursday January 9, 2014 6:06 PM By Kimberley Martin

image.JPG

Photo credit: Hans Pennink

The Jets have named cornerback Kyle Wilson as the team’s 2013 Walter Payton Man of the Year for his involvement in community service. 

Since his arrival to the Jets, Kyle has been heavily involved in the Jets Play 60 program in addition to many other off-the-field endeavors. In 2011, he became the team’s official spokesman for the Jets Play 60 program and has appeared at over twenty

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kyle Wilson named Jets' 2013 Walter Payton Man of the Year

Thursday January 9, 2014 6:06 PM By Kimberley Martin

image.JPG

Photo credit: Hans Pennink

The Jets have named cornerback Kyle Wilson as the team’s 2013 Walter Payton Man of the Year for his involvement in community service. 

Since his arrival to the Jets, Kyle has been heavily involved in the Jets Play 60 program in addition to many other off-the-field endeavors. In 2011, he became the team’s official spokesman for the Jets Play 60 program and has appeared at over twenty

I think it's great that he is involved with community projects, he has to do something since he has yet to make a play on the football field. Why the Jets have kept this guy around for so long is baffling to me. Must suck Rex's toes pretty good, which is perfect for him since he sucks at covering WR's.

Best nickel corner in the game.  Great pick by the Jets.

Rex and Tanny bragged on that pick and his next play will be his FIRST. This is a guy who in FOUR YEARS has not yet learned to turn his head around to locate the football. He is pathetic, and is OVERRATED as a slot corner as well.

You don't draft nickel corners in the first round. If he was worth a lick on the outside, Milliner wouldn't have been needed and we wouldn't be looking to draft another CB this year.

Sure they do and sure they would.  Its a passing league.  The way TE's can run and catch now, the way teams spread it out and start 3 WR's...you absolutely draft nickel corners in the back of the first.  Not top 10, obviously you're looking for a starter...but in the back of the 1st coming away with the best nickel corner in the game is a solid pick.

Rex and Tanny bragged on that pick and his next play will be his FIRST. This is a guy who in FOUR YEARS has not yet learned to turn his head around to locate the football. He is pathetic, and is OVERRATED as a slot corner as well.

To be the highest rated nickel corner in the game and be considered a bust is far from being overrated...the word is actually underrated.

You're welcome.

Sure they do and sure they would. Its a passing league. The way TE's can run and catch now, the way teams spread it out and start 3 WR's...you absolutely draft nickel corners in the back of the first. Not top 10, obviously you're looking for a starter...but in the back of the 1st coming away with the best nickel corner in the game is a solid pick.

You're a buffoon. Kyle Wilson sucking necessitated extending Cro and drafting Milliner. You suck.

You're a buffoon. Kyle Wilson sucking necessitated extending Cro and drafting Milliner. You suck.

If you asked Rex about Wilson, I guarantee this is what he says:

" The kid is playing great, we are really pleased with the way he has come along, he has done everything we have asked of him , and he continues to get better"

Look it up, he has said the exact same thing about Sanchez, Tebow, Hill etc.

Amazing.

Kyle Wilson was the #2 corner on the 3rd rated secondary in 2012.

You need corners, thats why Milliner was drafted, especially considering they traded the 3rd best corner in the game.

Jets fans are the worst...they literally have no clue what they're talking about.

Football players are judged on how they play on theh football field.

The same as me (who gives $$ and time to charity), my primary job will be judged based on how I perform at work, not what I give outside that>

There have been many, many football players who I am sure are very nice people, but will be judged by performance.

#reallife

You need corners, thats why Milliner was drafted, especially considering they traded the 3rd best corner in the game.

your " hit the nail on the head-ism" is unwanted here. this is a jets fan message board. if they are not all pro, they are garbage. get with the program

Excellent point! He's a nice boy, so everyone should not take notice that he can't perform his job!

Except that's not true.

Has he proven to be worthy of the first round selection? No.

Has he proven to be valuable as a nickel/#2 type CB? Yes, he has.

Except that's not true.

Has he proven to be worthy of the first round selection? No.

Has he proven to be valuable as a nickel/#2 type CB? Yes, he has.

#2 and Nickel type CB are entirely different things and should not be lumped together.

As a number 2 CB, I would say that he is below average.

As a nickel back, I would say that he is passable.

All of that said, my belief is that the Jets had higher aspirations for him when he was originally drafted.

Yeah and Antonio Cromartie was the #1 corner on the 3rd rated secondary.

Now, apparently neither of them are any good, neither of them have ever been good and neither of them ever will be good. Go figure.

Football players are judged on how they play on theh football field.

The same as me (who gives $$ and time to charity), my primary job will be judged based on how I perform at work, not what I give outside that>

There have been many, many football players who I am sure are very nice people, but will be judged by performance.

#reallife

I havent even mentioned his philanthropic ways all I've referred to is his on field performance where he rates as one of the best nickel corners in the league...but continue on, he's no Revis so he's bust.  He sucks despite the facts, thats the Jets fans way. 

#2 and Nickel type CB are entirely different things and should not be lumped together.

As a number 2 CB, I would say that he is below average.

As a nickel back, I would say that he is passable.

All of that said, my belief is that the Jets had higher aspirations for him when he was originally drafted.

They're two entirely different positions, with different skillsets needed to succeed. Very few corner-backs are capable of playing both inside and outside, Revis being one of the few who could do both. Even if Wilson was locking down the outside as a #2, we'd still have to find someone capable of playing the inside. After Manning torched our secondary when he simply avoided Revis and Lito Shephad, it was obvious you needed three solid CBs to play in the AFC with Manning and Brady.

While I agree the Jets had much larger expectations when drafting him, he's still a very solid player for us. As an outside CB, he is not ideal and obviously not worth the first round pick, but I would say he's clearly more than passable as a nickle back, considering he was the best one in the league.

I havent even mentioned his philanthropic ways all I've referred to is his on field performance where he rates as one of the best nickel corners in the league...but continue on, he's no Revis so he's bust.  He sucks despite the facts, thats the Jets fans way. 

There is quantitative analysis of CB or Nickle play, so go ahead and pretend like you have "facts" behind you.

I will go by what I see on the field (agreed, opinion), and it isn't superlative, based on a $2m+ cap hit.

Archived