Kelvin Benjamin declares for draft

CobraVerde

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love big tall receivers, and to me Benjamin is a borderline 1st round talent. I like Evans first, and then this dude next. I just like guys big and Tall and can outjump and outfight shorter d-backs.

I almost want him to NOT impress at the combine and have him drop to the 2nd round and possibly get both these guys if we dont persue a QB.

There's a cautionary tale here. Dude is a beast but I can give an almost unlimited list of super strong, tall, muscular, straight line fast, College WRs who stink in the NFL because they can't separate.

Big issue with Geno's accuracy issues and very small windows if they cant seperate?

There's a cautionary tale here. Dude is a beast but I can give an almost unlimited list of super strong, tall, muscular, straight line fast, College WRs who stink in the NFL because they can't separate.

True.  But the benefit of Benji is that he doesn't need to get separation.  Even if he's covered, he's open.

He's not a first round talent, but he's a good addition to a struggling offense.  

Ernest Wilford Vtech WR 2.0

I had to look him up.  He held records for most receiving TDs at Virginia Tech, and was drafted in the fourth round. 

Same size-ish, with similar haircut. 

Benjamin is a red-zone threat, not a world-beater, which is why he's not a first round talent.  If we were able to get him at the top of the 3rd round, we would have a viable red-zone scoring machine. 

He's more of a top 50 talent than top 18 from what I saw of him, but I hate evaluating/predicting tall wide receivers, so who knows. He could be the next Alshon or he could be Limas Sweed, although I'm leaning towards the former. If Benji can run a sub 4.5 like Alshon did at his pro-day, he's likely gone by the beginning of the second round. If I had my druthers, I'd pair him with sammy watkins, marqise lee or Odelle Beckham.

Big issue with Geno's accuracy issues and very small windows if they cant seperate?

I'm thinking it's a risk reward thing. Very few "big" WRs make it in the NFL due to lack of separation. Some become decent red zone targets on a rookie contract and then fall out of the league. That said there are a few who become legitimate stars like Vincent Jackson and Brandon Marshall.

But if Benjamin is around a second-third round pick (at least for now?) I'm asking do you really want that pick to be a red zone type guy? Most fans hated on Plaxico his one year here... and he went 40 for 8.

If you're taking a WR, it's either a guy like Benjamin, who is most likely your 36 for 6 type (BUT he does bring that element of, "Man, what if he can figure it all out, he's the next Randy Moss")

Or do you look at other WR's who are possibly still on the board, like a Brandin Cooks, Landry types who were more productive and have a better all around game...but maybe not as high a ceiling. 

The winning numbers are 4,16, 7 & 25. Who knows. :)

I love big tall receivers, and to me Benjamin is a borderline 1st round talent. I like Evans first, and then this dude next. I just like guys big and Tall and can outjump and outfight shorter d-backs.

I almost want him to NOT impress at the combine and have him drop to the 2nd round and possibly get both these guys if we dont persue a QB.

Stephen Hill can do all those things, but he can't catch or run routes.

I'd like a WR that can do THOSE things.

Not even close. Benji caught a lot more then 25 balls in a season and isn't just a speed demon. Benji goes up for the ball and fights for it. He also keeps his eyes open lol.

Ah, for some reason the Seminoles website only had his 2011/2012 seasons listed, I mistook his 2012 season (30 receptions, 495 yards, 4 TD, something like that) for his 2013 season.

132724.jpg

Florida State redshirt sophomore WR Kelvin Benjamin will declare for the NFL draft, according to Tom D'Angelo.

Benjamin will turn 23 in February despite only seeing the field for two seasons. He is a massive target who has the frame and ability to dominate at the catch point, but he dropped catchable passes far too often. The wide receiver class is very deep at the top, but Benjamin has a chance to be a top-32 selection. Th NFL Draft Advisory Board gave him a first-round projection.

wonder where you drew that comparison from..

we collaborated on it, right? It was a great comparison.  plexico, marcedes lewis are also good ones. Here's another one, David nelson they already have the slow tall RZ target. This team needs exploders. 

I'm not impressed with this kid, especially if we're talking the 1st or 2nd rds. Marques Lee is way better than this dude overall. If he becomes a value pick later down the draft then cool, but not his highlights or the BCS game convinced me otherwise about this dude. 

agree but Lee is from USC. How is Idzik gonna to that well after Tanny took a dump in it with Sanchez, McKnight etc 

Archived