Kiper has Jets taking Marqise Lee in his first published mock

Matt39

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love if the Jets got Lee.

Ditto.  He doesn't have the big play explosiveness of Watkins or the size of Evans but what he does have is the best combination of skills of any receiver in the draft, without having any warts.  By far the best (and most polished) route runner out of the top WR's, always produces great YAC and has more than enough speed to stretch the field.   His numbers fell off due to an atrocious QB situation this year.

Not a fan of Georgetown I take it? You wouldn't happen to be a 'Cuse fan? 

I watch Cuse because they are in the area BUT I am a huge fan of a certain University in the area. If you have read some of my draft SLEEPER posts, I have been pushing a QB named Jeff Matthews, who just happens to be on the EAST team in the East-West shrine game this week.

Google him, or look up Jeff Matthews, and that should give you some clues to the University that is near and dear to me.

Also, I am a big KEVIN BOOTHE fan. Hmmmm...........

Ditto.  He doesn't have the big play explosiveness of Watkins or the size of Evans but what he does have is the best combination of skills of any receiver in the draft, without having any warts.  By far the best (and most polished) route runner out of the top WR's, always produces great YAC and has more than enough speed to stretch the field.   His numbers fell off due to an atrocious QB situation this year.

And he can't catch. Perfect for the Jets.

I watch Cuse because they are in the area BUT I am a huge fan of a certain University in the area. If you have read some of my draft SLEEPER posts, I have been pushing a QB named Jeff Matthews, who just happens to be on the EAST team in the East-West shrine game this week.

Google him, or look up Jeff Matthews, and that should give you some clues to the University that is near and dear to me.

01/13/14 - 2014 Shrine Game: Monday Practice Report...Although the first day of practice is usually sloppy with a lot of walk-through as players become acclimated to a new setting, coaches and teammates, there were several prospects who stood out on day one, starting with the quarterbacks on the East Squad. Cornell QB Jeff Mathews had a middling senior season and entered this week as a prospect under-the-microscope. In Monday's east practice, he started slow, but picked up steam and got into rhythm with as the drills progressed, showing off his big arm and downfield vision. Mathews displayed good placement, accuracy and anticipation, something that he flashed in college, and he gained confidence throughout the practice. His set-up, release and overall process is average at-best, but he has the superior arm strength compared to the other passers in St. Petersburg this week. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

01/13/14 - 2014 Shrine Game: Monday Practice Report...Although the first day of practice is usually sloppy with a lot of walk-through as players become acclimated to a new setting, coaches and teammates, there were several prospects who stood out on day one, starting with the quarterbacks on the East Squad. Cornell QB Jeff Mathews had a middling senior season and entered this week as a prospect under-the-microscope. In Monday's east practice, he started slow, but picked up steam and got into rhythm with as the drills progressed, showing off his big arm and downfield vision. Mathews displayed good placement, accuracy and anticipation, something that he flashed in college, and he gained confidence throughout the practice. His set-up, release and overall process is average at-best, but he has the superior arm strength compared to the other passers in St. Petersburg this week. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

I want my primary care physician coming from Cornell. Not my quarterback.

Ahhh, one of those elitist scholar-athlete programs ;)  My Uncle actually played hockey back there in the 70s and then went to veterinary school there as well, he's as die-hard as you can get about them. 

Kiper and McShay are notorious for making extremely bold proclamations in their first few mocks to garner this type of intrique and thus, website traffic. There's almost no way to put forth a good mock without going through the Senior Bowl, Combine and Pro-days. I would be extremely hard-pressed to imagine that his final mock looks even remotely like this one.

What he said

And he can't catch. Perfect for the Jets.

118 catches in 2012, the last time he played with a decent QB  -- nah, he can't catch.  The guy may need to get stronger and put on a few pounds, but his hands are an asset, not a liability.  Good kick and punt returner, too.

Ahhh, one of those elitist scholar-athlete programs ;)  My Uncle actually played hockey back there in the 70s and then went to veterinary school there as well, he's as die-hard as you can get about them. 

Uh, the 78 on Joewillie78 is the year I graduated. If he played in the late 70's, then I would recognize his name as I am a season ticket holder. Back in the Late 70's, we had guys like Lance Nethery (who had a short stint with the Rangers), Roy Kerling, and of course in the 60's we had Ken Dryden, and in the 80's Joe Nuewyndyke.

Right now in the NHL we have Ben Scrivens (goalie), Matt Moulson (Buffalo), Colin Greening (Montreal) and a few others.

I watched the kid Jeff Matthews, all fall (I'm also a season ticket holder in football), and although he was a man amongst boys in the Ivy League, he is a LONG SHOT for even getting drafted. Has great size 6' 4" and about 230, has a cannon for an arm, but his foot work is poor, he's very slow afoot, and sometimes thinks he can make any throw, and tries to fit it into triple coverage. I'm glad he got an invite to the East west game as it piques my interest for the game.

Let me know your uncles name who played hockey?

Not a bad report actually. I hope he does well in the Game and maybe be a 7th rounder.

I want my primary care physician coming from Cornell. Not my quarterback.

I agree, but its fun to dream that maybe if he show's enough this weekend, that he could sneak into the 7th round.BUT if you need a GOALIE for your Hockey team, then we can take care of that anytime you want: KEN DRYDEN, BEN SCRIVENS, BRIAN HAYWOOD, BRIAN ELIOT etc. all NHL goalies with one HOF.

Go Big Red.

Kiper releases first 2014 mock draft, has Jets select USC WR Marquise Lee

January 15th, 2014 12:25 pm

Mel Kiper released his first Mock Draft of the 2014 NFL Draft season and in it, he picks USC receiver Marquise Lee for the Jets with the eighteenth pick. Kiper has a staggering seven receivers coming off the board in the first round alone with the Jets nabbing his third best in Lee.

Brian Bassett, TheJetsBlog.com

As we always say heading into this season, we try to not get too reactive to a hypothetical that will have so many iterations before the draft actually takes place. That said, the Jets do need a top receiver badly and this is a good class from which to pick.

With Sammy Watkins (5th) and Mike Evans (13th) already off the board, it is interesting to see Kiper place Lee as the third guy to be drafted. There was talk about Jordan Matthews being a first rounder, but he didn’t make Kiper’s top 32 selections.  Everyone seems to think that Lee might not be the most physical or flashy player of this class, but he could be ready to contribute quicker than most which is exactly what the Jets will need with a high degree of turnover looming for the receivers.

The conundrum that the Jets might face at 18 is that the consensus could be there’s a dropoff in the physical abilities after Watkins and Evans. Kiper has the Ravens selecting TE Eric Ebron at 16.  If it were between Ebron and Lee at 18?  The Jets might select the tight end to turn around on receivers during day two — as the talent could flatten out on the second day of the draft.  Assuming of course that seven teams don’t actually draft receivers in the first round as Kiper suggests.

Analysis: It almost goes without saying that New York lacks anything resembling a No. 1 receiver, and a healthy Lee certainly resembles that as a prospect, making him a great fit here. Lee had a balky knee for a portion of 2013, but he looked close to 100 percent toward the end of the season, and we again saw that trademark explosiveness. Lee is a receiver who competes for the ball, runs good routes and can beat corners and safeties deep, but also has exceptional quickness and fluidity as a runner with the ball. He can change direction with so little noticeable loss of speed, it’s a treat to watch.

Kiper releases first 2014 mock draft, has Jets select USC WR Marquise Lee

January 15th, 2014 12:25 pm

Mel Kiper released his first Mock Draft of the 2014 NFL Draft season and in it, he picks USC receiver Marquise Lee for the Jets with the eighteenth pick. Kiper has a staggering seven receivers coming off the board in the first round alone with the Jets nabbing his third best in Lee.

Brian Bassett, TheJetsBlog.com

As we always say heading into this season, we try to not get too reactive to a hypothetical that will have so many iterations before the draft actually takes place. That said, the Jets do need a top receiver badly and this is a good class from which to pick.

With Sammy Watkins (5th) and Mike Evans (13th) already off the board, it is interesting to see Kiper place Lee as the third guy to be drafted. There was talk about Jordan Matthews being a first rounder, but he didn’t make Kiper’s top 32 selections.  Everyone seems to think that Lee might not be the most physical or flashy player of this class, but he could be ready to contribute quicker than most which is exactly what the Jets will need with a high degree of turnover looming for the receivers.

The conundrum that the Jets might face at 18 is that the consensus could be there’s a dropoff in the physical abilities after Watkins and Evans. Kiper has the Ravens selecting TE Eric Ebron at 16.  If it were between Ebron and Lee at 18?  The Jets might select the tight end to turn around on receivers during day two — as the talent could flatten out on the second day of the draft.  Assuming of course that seven teams don’t actually draft receivers in the first round as Kiper suggests.

Analysis: It almost goes without saying that New York lacks anything resembling a No. 1 receiver, and a healthy Lee certainly resembles that as a prospect, making him a great fit here. Lee had a balky knee for a portion of 2013, but he looked close to 100 percent toward the end of the season, and we again saw that trademark explosiveness. Lee is a receiver who competes for the ball, runs good routes and can beat corners and safeties deep, but also has exceptional quickness and fluidity as a runner with the ball. He can change direction with so little noticeable loss of speed, it’s a treat to watch.

I like other receivers better, but he did look good in that bowl game against Fresno state. It wouldnt dissappoint me if they take him at #18. If both him and Ebron are there at 18, then I would go Ebron.

118 catches in 2012, the last time he played with a decent QB  -- nah, he can't catch.  The guy may need to get stronger and put on a few pounds, but his hands are an asset, not a liability.  Good kick and punt returner, too.

So he needs a decent qb to operate? Sounds like a winner seeing all the decent qbs we've had over the years.

So he needs a decent qb to operate? Sounds like a winner seeing all the decent qbs we've had over the years.

:face:  What orifice did you pull that one out of?   One of the absolute dumbest, most bizarre comments here in a long time.  Back to football...if you had a clue you would know that for the last three years Lee has routinely taken 10 yard slants and broken them off for a huge gains.  YAC is huge with this guy. That is a perfect fit for Geno because it shortens and simplifies the play.

Lee is only slightly less explosive than Watkins speed-wise, so he is a big deep threat too.  Polished route runner -- something that some great athletic WR's never figure out even after they are in the NFL-- and good hands.  Great KO returner and can return punts.  Yeah, he needs a decent QB like any other receiver.  Pull the drill bit out of the middle of your forehead and clear your mind.

:face:  What orifice did you pull that one out of?   One of the absolute dumbest, most bizarre comments here in a long time.  Back to football...if you had a clue you would know that for the last three years Lee has routinely taken 10 yard slants and broken them off for a huge gains.  YAC is huge with this guy. That is a perfect fit for Geno because it shortens and simplifies the play.

Lee is only slightly less explosive than Watkins speed-wise, so he is a big deep threat too.  Polished route runner -- something that some great athletic WR's never figure out even after they are in the NFL-- and good hands.  Great KO returner and can return punts.  Yeah, he needs a decent QB like any other receiver.  Pull the drill bit out of the middle of your forehead and clear your mind.

He's also a USC player and given our great track record with USC players I'm sure he'll do wonders on the Jets, not to mention that despite how much you tried to play it off he was dropping a lot of balls this year, something that was well documented. 

From what I understand he also might be the most NFL ready receiver of the bunch. In short, he's a football player. I like football players.

I don't know whether to have faith in these mocks and get excited or if it's just setting me up to be let down. Watkins,Evans,Lee. Just want one to fall.

Mocks are fun to read, but this is ridiculously early in the process. The names will move around a little with the Senior Bowl coming up, and then really get jostled over the course of the combine. Then the individual pro days, where every prospect magically runs faster than they did in Indianapolis.

It'll be a while before they start to settle down.

He's also a USC player and given our great track record with USC players I'm sure he'll do wonders on the Jets, not to mention that despite how much you tried to play it off he was dropping a lot of balls this year, something that was well documented.

Because Keyshawn Johnson sucked?

If the Jets decide to pass on Lee, I hope they have a much better reason than the school he attended.

If the kid can get open, drops I wouldn't worry about. That's pretty correctable. 

Archived