"[Sanchez] would be the starter for us as soon as he walked in the door"

T0mShane

I don't care what he was praised for. I saw enough clips and highlights of his best plays at USC and his accuracy was not good. He was underthrowing guys by a yard or two, but they had 3+ yard leads on the DB. At USC that's a TD. In the NFL it's an interception.

I'm not saying anyone did a good or bad job with Sanchez since it's my opinion he was un-developable. He's too stupid and has lousy instincts. He may break down film great when there's no action, and may make some good throws when there's little pressure and he gets to follow his primary read, but that's not to impressive as there are plenty of guys who can do that. He was a high draft pick so he'll get chances for a while, but he'll never be anything. He was a bad draft pick.

No question he's an unqualified bust, but we're going to learn whether or not he's irredeemable. That said, the organization in whole handled him horribly here.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No question he's an unqualified bust, but we're going to learn whether or not he's irredeemable. That said, the organization in whole handled him horribly here.

If he's redeemable, then he wasn't a bust.

Only mild argument on the 2nd point, since other QBs have overcome adversity.  If they're good they're good and the cream rises to the top.  It's the doody that sinks to the bottom of the toilet bowl.

If he's redeemable, then he wasn't a bust.

Only mild argument on the 2nd point, since other QBs have overcome adversity. If they're good they're good and the cream rises to the top. It's the doody that sinks to the bottom of the toilet bowl.

It's my opinion that there are, at any given time, maybe four active QBs that have the ability to elevate an entire franchise. The rest of them need a lot of help. It takes a village to make a quarterback. A village, Sperm.

I rock a pant-suit like nobody's business.

To hide your cankles, right?

1. How do you know?

2. Why not?

1. Because there weren't any.  Sadly, the best one was probably Mark Brunell.  The only one who's played and is still here (so far) is Sanchez, and I guess Simms, who you yourself said sucked when you saw him up close as I recall.  Anyone else is off the roster and if they were any good, surely someone else would have seen what the Jets were missing.

2. The #1 answer is over-investment in 1 player, Sanchez.  Over-invested in him in the draft, then the GM doubled-down on him to clear up some cap room in a show-me year for him (in which he didn't show, and was ultimately fired).

If you believe that Sanchez was this great talent that was destined for greatness (or goodness) then that's for you to believe.  Or that Geno Smith was destined for greatness as a rookie.  You can believe that as well.

To hide your cankles, right?

1. Because there weren't any. Sadly, the best one was probably Mark Brunell. The only one who's played and is still here (so far) is Sanchez, and I guess Simms, who you yourself said sucked when you saw him up close as I recall. Anyone else is off the roster and if they were any good, surely someone else would have seen what the Jets were missing.

2. The #1 answer is over-investment in 1 player, Sanchez. Over-invested in him in the draft, then the GM doubled-down on him to clear up some cap room in a show-me year for him (in which he didn't show, and was ultimately fired).

If you believe that Sanchez was this great talent that was destined for greatness (or goodness) then that's for you to believe. Or that Geno Smith was destined for greatness as a rookie. You can believe that as well.

My ankles are lithe.

I'm not saying Sanchez or Geno were predestined to be great. I'm saying that the QB position under Rex has been a black hole and I don't think that's a coincidence.

My ankles are lithe.

I'm not saying Sanchez or Geno were predestined to be great. I'm saying that the QB position under Rex has been a black hole and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Then don't think it.  The fact is once Sanchez was drafted they weren't bringing in anyone else unless they just stepped in sh*t.  Few teams invest so heavily in a drafted QB (and pay him that much), spend years trying to develop him (too many IMO), and then simultaneously invest in other QBs who prove worthwhile.  But again, that's the GM's job to bring in the talent and the coaching staff to coach them.  I know you disagree, but we just differ on that. 

I think a lot of it is he didn't realize the repercussions of Tannenbaum's cap maneuvers and how it wouldn't matter if this player or that one was overpaid a bit because he's such a genius with Excel.  Yes it's a fault or Rex's (and he has more than one), but if we had a good GM that wouldn't be a factor in the first place.

It will be interesting to see what Idzik does with the QB position this offseason.  I'm actually curious to see if he is going to bet the season on Geno or if he's going to bring in one fail-safe veteran (McCown, Schaub, etc.), or if he's going to bring in a veteran AND take a QB in the first few rounds of the draft.  

Reminds me of JonEFool predicting that Victor Hobson would be a pro bowler for NE.  Ditto others who would show us what a mistake it was to let them go while they were still young or performing.  Chris Baker.  Shaun Ellis.  Laveranues Coles.  Braylon Edwards.  Donald Strickland.  Erik Coleman.  

The only one in recent years was Woodhead, but unlike Sanchez it's not like we saw him play year after year here before he was scooped up by NE (and now SD).  Before that was almost a decade ago when we let Goodwin go to New Orleans, but again it's not like we (at least as fans) got a really good look at him.

Bahhh!  Argument invalid.  Woodhead wasn't the only one.  James Hasty John Abraham Arron Glenn Jericho Cotchery James Farrior...Hell the Fin's beat us with Pennington at the helm when we had Favre...Goodwin works, so does a guy like Joel Dreeson...Now is Sanchez gonna be a Farrior or a Dreeson? Dunno.  Nobody does.  But when the hatred-colored glasses come off, its hard to ignore the fact that the kid has had some success when he had the tools...and that diminished when Holmes, Cotchery and Braylon turned into Kerley Gates and Schilens.  When Damien Woody Alan Faneca and Moore turned into Howard, Slauson and Ducasse and a gimpy Moore, when LaDanian Tomlinson and Tony Richardson turned into....well...nobody.  To say The QB should be successful regardless of his supporting cast is utterly myopic.  Sanchez will never be great.  but he has the tools to be good, or even very good.  Unfortunately the last five first round draft picks taken have been defense.  Unfortunately the offensive line has gone from being top three to bottom sixteen.  His Tight End has gone from an under performing Keller, to an often injured Cumberland.  His running game...See: comments about offensive line.  His protection: Ditto.  There is a reason he was able to pull off come-from-behind-victories one season, then looked like a deer in the headlights the next.  And to be fair to Geno, he had the same sh*t soup on offense.  This is Rex Ryan's Problem and Rex Ryan's fault.  Development of a franchise QB was never a part of his skill-set.  And neither Schotty, nor Sparano nor Morningweg ever had a chance to try to develop the kid themselves.  THIS is why Sanchez is a bad QB.  And this is why Geno is likely to BE a bad QB.  No investment no commitment to the young leader of the team.  Look at what the Falcons did via draft and free agency once they Got Matt Ryan.  Oline, Recievers, etc.  They gave the kid a chance.  We drafted corners and Dlineman.  Lots of them.  Stupid.  What did Ryan expect his offense to become?  What did he think Sanchez or Geno could do with this pile of crap?  This is what happened to the New York Jets.  It wasnt Sanchez...the easy target.  Or Geno...the hapless target.  It was an utter lack of commitment to offensive football.  There's a reason Rex wanted to "ground and pound".  It was to give his Defense all the credit.  because at the end of the day, defense is all that ever matters to him.

You're kind of glossing over the embarrassing inaccuracy.  Can't just say "Reid" and think that fixes suck. See:  Feely, A.J.

Also, it's conveniently overlooked that Alex Smith was better than Sanchez, with that 82-ish QB rating, before Harbaugh got there.  There is no evidence that Harbaugh can teach a slow person to think fast and process what he's seeing in a split-second, to the point where he instinctively knows to throw it, throw it away, or look elsewhere immediately.  Sanchez is too dumb.

Sanchez is just a worse talent no matter how much you hate Ryan.  But of course your declaration above is a convenient claim, since neither Reid nor Harbaugh would never of naming Mark Sanchez starter on their football teams.  So you don't have to deal with the inconvenience of proof.  

Why is it so hard for people to accept that he is just a bust of a draft pick? 

Who is glossing over facts?    Alex Smith lost the starting job to Shaun Hill, Troy Smith, etc.   He was a bust.   His head coaches didn't like him or want him on the team.   Harbaugh didn't want him, but gave him a shot.  And even after Smith was part of a team who was almost in the super bowl,  they had interest in an injured Manning, and after his injury, during a season when he actually looked good,  Kapernick came in and the rest is history.      Smith was not better than Sanchez, that's just glossing over facts.  He was a bust and everybody knew it.   The first pick in the draft couldn't even win the starting job most of the time.

As bad as Sanchez was, he was loved by his head coach.   Smith never was and was terrible for a long time.  The 49ers sucked as well.     The biggest difference was Smith had a stronger resolve and more maturity.  His coaches didn't believe in him, 49ers fans hated him, and for the most part, he was called a bust.  Many kids falter in that situation.  And then finally when he does kind of prove he can be a winner,  he winds up losing his job anyway.   And yet he never said a word, was a teammate, and wound up helping the Chiefs into the playoffs this year.    

Sanchez has a weak character who seems more Leinart and hanging with celebrities, than wanting to be a good QB.    That's where the difference is and why Smith kind of succeeded and Sanchez will fail.    Neither are really that good, but one has dedication and heart to play the game, the other doesn't seem to care as much.

Bahhh!  Argument invalid.  Woodhead wasn't the only one.  James Hasty John Abraham Arron Glenn Jericho Cotchery James Farrior...Hell the Fin's beat us with Pennington at the helm when we had Favre...Goodwin works, so does a guy like Joel Dreeson...Now is Sanchez gonna be a Farrior or a Dreeson? Dunno.  Nobody does.  But when the hatred-colored glasses come off, its hard to ignore the fact that the kid has had some success when he had the tools...and that diminished when Holmes, Cotchery and Braylon turned into Kerley Gates and Schilens.  When Damien Woody Alan Faneca and Moore turned into Howard, Slauson and Ducasse and a gimpy Moore, when LaDanian Tomlinson and Tony Richardson turned into....well...nobody.  To say The QB should be successful regardless of his supporting cast is utterly myopic.  Sanchez will never be great.  but he has the tools to be good, or even very good.  Unfortunately the last five first round draft picks taken have been defense.  Unfortunately the offensive line has gone from being top three to bottom sixteen.  His Tight End has gone from an under performing Keller, to an often injured Cumberland.  His running game...See: comments about offensive line.  His protection: Ditto.  There is a reason he was able to pull off come-from-behind-victories one season, then looked like a deer in the headlights the next.  And to be fair to Geno, he had the same sh*t soup on offense.  This is Rex Ryan's Problem and Rex Ryan's fault.  Development of a franchise QB was never a part of his skill-set.  And neither Schotty, nor Sparano nor Morningweg ever had a chance to try to develop the kid themselves.  THIS is why Sanchez is a bad QB.  And this is why Geno is likely to BE a bad QB.  No investment no commitment to the young leader of the team.  Look at what the Falcons did via draft and free agency once they Got Matt Ryan.  Oline, Recievers, etc.  They gave the kid a chance.  We drafted corners and Dlineman.  Lots of them.  Stupid.  What did Ryan expect his offense to become?  What did he think Sanchez or Geno could do with this pile of crap?  This is what happened to the New York Jets.  It wasnt Sanchez...the easy target.  Or Geno...the hapless target.  It was an utter lack of commitment to offensive football.  There's a reason Rex wanted to "ground and pound".  It was to give his Defense all the credit.  because at the end of the day, defense is all that ever matters to him.

These are some very interesting examples you're throwing out there.  Abraham was an All-Pro while with the Jets who they opted to trade him away for a first round pick, so I'm not sure how this is at all relevant to this situation.  I can see the argument why they should have opted to keep him, but that's completely different than him being some reclamation project who was ruined simply by being with the Jets until finding massive success with another team who saved his career.  Farrior certainly applies in this case, but it's also been a dozen years since he left the team.  Hasty was twenty years ago.  That these are the most recent examples doesn't say much for the concept that the Jets are routinely limiting the success of players who are destined for greatness with other teams.

Beyond that, lots of the other guys you mentioned actually had more success in their time with the Jets than after.  Until this year Cotchery was buried on the Steelers depth chart as the #4 WR, only moving up after Wallace left.  Glenn was an All-Pro with the Jets and hopped around the league for most of his years after the Jets let him go.  Dreesen has been a career backup who's been decent, but nothing particularly spectacular either.  Pennington was exactly for the Dolphins what he was for the Jets:  a weak-armed, injury-prone, choke artist.  The difference is that the Dolphins actually went out of their way to install an offensive system that minimized their reliance on their QB as much as humanly possible and yet he still managed to be the #1 reason they were absolutely raped in the playoffs.  The point being, I can't see why any of these other players should suddenly give any reason to believe that Sanchez will go off to bigger and better things once away from the Jets.  We heard the same nonsense about Brett freakin' Ratliff for crying out loud.

The rest of it is nothing more than a list of excuses why it's supposedly not Sanchez's fault that he sucks, which is an entire concept that's not even worth discussing anymore considering that if you still truly believe that, clearly there's nothing which will ever convince you otherwise.

Make a film of SANCHEZ and show it to any perspective QB candidate, and tell them to NOT do anything you see in this film if you want to be successful. AND the first person they should show it to is Geno.

Wouldn't make any difference.  You can change the name (Sanchez - Eugene) but its still the same face.

These are some very interesting examples you're throwing out there.  Abraham was an All-Pro while with the Jets who they opted to trade him away for a first round pick, so I'm not sure how this is at all relevant to this situation.  I can see the argument why they should have opted to keep him, but that's completely different than him being some reclamation project who was ruined simply by being with the Jets until finding massive success with another team who saved his career.  Farrior certainly applies in this case, but it's also been a dozen years since he left the team.  Hasty was twenty years ago.  That these are the most recent examples doesn't say much for the concept that the Jets are routinely limiting the success of players who are destined for greatness with other teams.

Beyond that, lots of the other guys you mentioned actually had more success in their time with the Jets than after.  Until this year Cotchery was buried on the Steelers depth chart as the #4 WR, only moving up after Wallace left.  Glenn was an All-Pro with the Jets and hopped around the league for most of his years after the Jets let him go.  Dreesen has been a career backup who's been decent, but nothing particularly spectacular either.  Pennington was exactly for the Dolphins what he was for the Jets:  a weak-armed, injury-prone, choke artist.  The difference is that the Dolphins actually went out of their way to install an offensive system that minimized their reliance on their QB as much as humanly possible and yet he still managed to be the #1 reason they were absolutely raped in the playoffs.  The point being, I can't see why any of these other players should suddenly give any reason to believe that Sanchez will go off to bigger and better things once away from the Jets.  We heard the same nonsense about Brett freakin' Ratliff for crying out loud.

Sanchez sucks. Never said he didn't. What I did say is that Rex is a big reason why. When your HC is actually a glorified DC and you go through three OCs in five years...it means you haven't given your offense the attention it needs. Nice having a top five defense every year. But at what expense?

It will be interesting to see what Idzik does with the QB position this offseason.  I'm actually curious to see if he is going to bet the season on Geno or if he's going to bring in one fail-safe veteran (McCown, Schaub, etc.), or if he's going to bring in a veteran AND take a QB in the first few rounds of the draft.

Very interesting, just as the reactions around here will be.

The vets out there are terrible. It's not hard to make a case that Sanchez (at a significantly reduced rate) is their best veteran option. Young, has won some (playoff) games, knows the system. I'm not advocating it -at all- but I can see the argument.

The draft will also be interesting. Jets have a lot of picks, but they're not currently in position for one of the top QBs this year, and (maybe) outside of Bridgewater, they all have question marks of their own. Do they spend a second or third rounder on an even more questionable QB? Or do they go with a safer pick at another one of their many needs? Any QB taken in the first four rounds will be a story around here, and a perceived threat to win the starting job.

And the thing is, the Jets need a QB (or two) who is a threat to win the starting job. I'm sure Idzik hopes that Geno is the answer. That he'll at least be a competent starter. With so little out there in terms of potential replacements, it'll be very interesting to see how he addresses it.

And the thing is, the Jets need a QB (or two) who is a threat to win the starting job. I'm sure Idzik hopes that Geno is the answer. That he'll at least be a competent starter. With so little out there in terms of potential replacements, it'll be very interesting to see how he addresses it.

The way the FA QB market is looking and where we sit in the draft, it's getting harder and harder to imagine that Geno isn't our Week 1 starter in 2015.  And maybe that's not the worst thing.  We'll need our rookie QB (if we get one) to sit and learn, and if we're starting a Chad Henne or Josh McCown in Week 1 it likely means our season is sunk. 

The way the FA QB market is looking and where we sit in the draft, it's getting harder and harder to imagine that Geno isn't our Week 1 starter in 2015.  And maybe that's not the worst thing.  We'll need our rookie QB (if we get one) to sit and learn, and if we're starting a Chad Henne or Josh McCown in Week 1 it likely means our season is sunk.

A case could be made to say the same if Geno is the starter, unless he takes huge leaps forward.

A case could be made to say the same if Geno is the starter, unless he takes huge leaps forward.

This is a stupid argument.  He has 100X better chance of taking leaps forward than some mediocre veteran starter.  So you're pretty much wrong there.  You can't say our season is sunk Week 1 with Geno under center.  People thought our season was sunk LAST year with him as our Week 1 starter, then we went 5-4 heading into the bye.

This is a stupid argument.  He has 100X better chance of taking leaps forward than some mediocre veteran starter.  So you're pretty much wrong there.  You can't say our season is sunk Week 1 with Geno under center.  People thought our season was sunk LAST year with him as our Week 1 starter, then we went 5-4 heading into the bye.

No. It's not. I didn't say either of those guys would be more viable options, at all. I'm just saying next season will be sunk, just like this one was, if Geno doesn't get any better. I hope he does, but I don't see it happening. Weapons or not.

And being 5-4 heading into a bye and then getting crushed in Buffalo is not really the way you want to defend your argument considering two of those wins were gifted.

No. It's not. I didn't say either of those guys would be more viable options, at all. I'm just saying next season will be sunk, just like this one was, if Geno doesn't get any better. I hope he does, but I don't see it happening. Weapons or not.

And being 5-4 heading into a bye and then getting crushed in Buffalo is not really the way you want to defend your argument considering two of those wins were gifted.

Your absolutely right. This was the problem with Sanchez. He never progressed, and in fact regressed as the team lost faith and he lost faith in himself. Many people will obviously believe that Geno will Progress, and we all hope that is the case if he is our starter, but their is ample proof out there (especially) on this team, that some if not many QB's do not progress, and when you are the lowest rated QB in the league, you better progress a great deal, otherwise you will still be near the bottom of the NFL QB's even with a 5 or 10 point progression. Geno is following the Sanchez footprint so far to a tee, and that is a scary thought going forward. 

Your absolutely right. This was the problem with Sanchez. He never progressed, and in fact regressed as the team lost faith and he lost faith in himself. Many people will obviously believe that Geno will Progress, and we all hope that is the case if he is our starter, but their is ample proof out there (especially) on this team, that some if not many QB's do not progress, and when you are the lowest rated QB in the league, you better progress a great deal, otherwise you will still be near the bottom of the NFL QB's even with a 5 or 10 point progression. Geno is following the Sanchez footprint so far to a tee, and that is a scary thought going forward. 

Don't get me wrong, I held out hope for Sanchez after the first two seasons and I hold out hold for Geno, but it's basically giving me flashbacks. I just hope they don't hold on to Geno too long like they did Mark. Geno's contract is easily cuttable if that time came and the Jets need to bring in better QBs than Simms and Garrard. Period.

Don't get me wrong, I held out hope for Sanchez after the first two seasons and I hold out hold for Geno, but it's basically giving me flashbacks. I just hope they don't hold on to Geno too long like they did Mark. Geno's contract is easily cuttable if that time came and the Jets need to bring in better QBs than Simms and Garrard. Period.

Look, what they really need to do is bring in viable candidates that compete with Geno. If Geno is the opening day starter, fine, but with viable replacements, at least when Geno starts to do his Sanchez imitations again, then at least you can short leash the guy and get him the hell out of there before he totally destroys our season. Of course the one caveat with this is our COACH, who tends to stand on the sidelines looking clueless when our QB is posting 12's TQBR's and 50 regular QBR's.

It took just about, the worst play in NFL history , and some of the all-time worst QB play for an exteneded period of time, to get our Coach to finally make a change at QB, after which the season had been completely destroyed.

Geno may be a problem, but the real problem is our coach acting dumbfounded, when his offense resembles a bad news bears rerun.

Or you can not take his season in one lump chunk and see that he actually progressed toward the end of the season. You can also look at his numbers with and without the one receiver he could count on to get open on a consistent basis and use that as a base for some positivity. Not blind enthusiasm, but at least a shred of optimism.

Sanchez sucks. Never said he didn't. What I did say is that Rex is a big reason why. When your HC is actually a glorified DC and you go through three OCs in five years...it means you haven't given your offense the attention it needs. Nice having a top five defense every year. But at what expense?

Don't get me wrong, Rex has plenty of faults of his own, but I just think blaming him for the immense sucktitude of Sanchez is a complete cop out.  It's not his fault that the guy can't read a defense to save his life or even hit a freakin' WR in stride the vast majority of the time.  These are basic concepts for a QB that need to be established long before they get to the NFL.  That these realities weren't apparent to the Jets before they drafted him is another discussion, but that still doesn't make them Rex's fault.

That's not to say Sanchez couldn't have done better with an offense full of All-Pros surrounding him, but in the end it still wouldn't have changed the fact that he's not a particularly good QB.  After all, there's a reason why despite all of the faults of the other Jets' offensive players, the team never saw any significant difference in production when those same teams had any one of Kellen Clemens, Mark Brunell, or Greg McElroy under center, who went a combined 3-1 when replacing Sanchez.

There's a difference between a season being sunk Week 1 regardless and a season MAYBE being sunk IF the quarterback doesn't improve.  With one of these terrible veteran FA QB's on the market starting for us Week 1, the season is over before it begins.  With Geno, there is hope.  That's the difference there.

By all means, we need to bring in legit competition (for once).  But if Geno or the rookie we draft doesn't win the job in camp that is bad news. 

Archived