Chris Johnson?

Favorite_Toon

I think we need to upgrade the running game.. We need a homerun hitter that can break one at any moment. Green wasnt that and neither was curtis martin for how great he was. We need recievers and pass catching TE that can stretch the field. We have ignored the offense for too long. Give Geno some weapons and see how he does.. Look at all the other teams in the league. Even the Jags have weapons.. Jones drew Blackmon.. browns have gordon and Cameron We are the only team with bargain basement players on offense. Clyde gates? really? nelson? Nelson was the best reciever on the team last year..lol

I think we need to upgrade the running game.. We need a homerun hitter that can break one at any moment. Green wasnt that and neither was curtis martin for how great he was. We need recievers and pass catching TE that can stretch the field. We have ignored the offense for too long. Give Geno some weapons and see how he does.. Look at all the other teams in the league. Even the Jags have weapons.. Jones drew Blackmon.. browns have gordon and Cameron We are the only team with bargain basement players on offense. Clyde gates? really? nelson? Nelson was the best reciever on the team last year..lol

I think "home run hitter" is a little overrated. For all of his home run ability he still has not averaged more than Ivory's 4.6 last year since 2009, so if he hits home runs as often as you would imagine, then he's losing yards on TONS more than anyone else.

The only thing in his favor is that he can catch as many passes as you need him to out of the backfield.

Having said all this, if they signed him tomorrow I'd be super excited and optimistic. Would be fun.

Let us know when Charlie Burkowitz has the scoop, okay?

I think it would probably be cheaper and more constructive to draft The Dream Carey in the 3rd and allocate the cap $ that would have been for CJ towards signing an OG or two. That said, if they did get CJ I would be very excited.  

Agreed.  He'd be the best overall RB we've had in a long time when you factor in his pass-catching abilities.  If Goodson's legal troubles keep him off the field, we need a guy who can be counted on in passing situations.

Is Mike Goodson definitely a goner? If he isn't, then I don't see them doing much with the RBs at all except maybe a later round guy who might be a speed guy/returner. Powell, Ivory and Goodson (?) is not a need position given the holes throughout the rest of the team.

I don't think he's definitely a goner, and I think his knee will be more important in making that determination than his offseason exploits.

I'm not even remotely as sold on Ivory as a lot of folks here. He arrived as a hard hitting back, who can't catch a pass and has some trouble staying on the field - and hasn't done anything to dispel any of that. The WCO, IMHO, should have a starting RB who catches the football as effortlessly as he takes a handoff. I was much more excited about Goodson than Ivory when the team acquired them both, and the few minutes he got on the field last year made it look like he could be something special. But that knee...

That said, I have very little interest in another veteran RB. It's a young man's position, I'd prefer they use one of their many picks on one. Going BAP right down the line, a RB will probably rise to the top at some point.

I don't think he's definitely a goner, and I think his knee will be more important in making that determination than his offseason exploits.

I'm not even remotely as sold on Ivory as a lot of folks here. He arrived as a hard hitting back, who can't catch a pass and has some trouble staying on the field - and hasn't done anything to dispel any of that. The WCO, IMHO, should have a starting RB who catches the football as effortlessly as he takes a handoff. I was much more excited about Goodson than Ivory when the team acquired them both, and the few minutes he got on the field last year made it look like he could be something special. But that knee...

That said, I have very little interest in another veteran RB. It's a young man's position, I'd prefer they use one of their many picks on one. Going BAP right down the line, a RB will probably rise to the top at some point.

Ivory wasn't billed to be a stud every down back.  He was acquired for a 4th round pick and promptly went for 4.6 ypc despite Geno's struggles and a suspect line.  He was supposedly injury prone and a mistake, then turned out to be one of our few bright spots.  I don't see how anyone could have a problem with Ivory as part of our RBBC approach.

By all means we should be trying to acquire another RB who is a better pass-catcher, especially with the questions surrounding Goodson.  But like it or not, Ivory is the best RB we have right now.

If we can start putting up points early in games Ivory is a great back to have. Today's league you need a back that can be in on all 3 downs in close games. Powell just isnt good enough to be that guy.

Yep.  Ivory is a poor man's Marshawn Lynch.  In a solid offense his value skyrockets.  Had the Saints not drafted Mark Ingram he'd be a great compliment to Sproles and Pierre Thomas right now.  New Orleans lost several key games this year because they either couldn't get it going in the running game or failed to close out a game.  Ivory would have helped with that.

Ivory wasn't billed to be a stud every down back.  He was acquired for a 4th round pick and promptly went for 4.6 ypc despite Geno's struggles and a suspect line.  He was supposedly injury prone and a mistake, then turned out to be one of our few bright spots.  I don't see how anyone could have a problem with Ivory as part of our RBBC approach.

By all means we should be trying to acquire another RB who is a better pass-catcher, especially with the questions surrounding Goodson.  But like it or not, Ivory is the best RB we have right now.

That's probably true, and I definitely don't like it. At the end of the day, RBs are judged on total yards, not average per carry. It's nice to trot that number out, but the bottom line is that he ran for 833 yards and added two whole receptions. Shonn Greene, run out of town on a rail, managed over 1000 yards his last two years here, and added 49 receptions with his tiny hands over that time. I never liked Greene either, but he clearly out-produced Ivory.

Ivory would be a nice piece as part of a RBBC, particularly as the guy you bring in to close out games, but he's not a very useful starting RB in a WCO.

At the end of the day, RBs are judged on total yards, not average per carry.

Not when you're in a RBBC.  When LT left Shonn Greene became our workhorse back, and he was a miserable failure in that role.  Ivory was in a 50/50 split with Powell for most of the season.

Give me the guy that rushes for 80+ yards on 15-20 carries over the guy who rushes for 100 on 30 carries.

Yep.  Ivory is a poor man's Marshawn Lynch.  In a solid offense his value skyrockets.

Marshawn hasn't rushed for less than 1200 yards in the last three years and added 87 receptions over that period of time. Ivory is a homeless man's Marshawn Lynch.

This team has been just as brutal at finding talent at RB as it has with the QB position.

NOOOO, our QBing statistically over the past 5 years is the second worst in the league 1/10th of a point ahead of Cleveland. I don't know the stats on our RB's but I doubt they come close to be 2nd to last in the league.

They may not be great BUT have you seen our QBs? Atrocious.

Archived