Jets' D is good, but not near Seattle's best

F.Chowds

Good news for the New York Jets: The Seattle Seahawks delivered an emphatic reminder that great defense still matters in the offensive-minded NFL. 

Bad news for the Jets: Their defense, the foundation of the team, isn’t close to that of the Seahawks. 

While the Jets have the potential to be dominant on the defensive line, they don’t have enough playmakers on the second and third levels to accomplish what the Seahawks did in Super Bowl XLVIII. 

[+] Enlargenfl_a_ddavis_jh_200x300.jpg
AP Photo/Damian StrohmeyerDemario Davis is one of the young players the Jets can build around on defense.

They can stop the run with anyone, and they have the power rushers to generate a decent-to-occasionally-strong pass rush, but there are no proven difference-makers at linebacker or in the secondary -- not yet, anyway. The Jets produced only 15 takeaways last season, continuing a trend under Rex Ryan. For all their defensive success in recent years, they've created only 130 turnovers since 2009, 15th in the league. 

It’s all about the turnovers, as the Seahawks proved Sunday night -- and all season, really. They rattled the great Peyton Manning with an incredible amount of speed and intensity, relying on personnel over scheme. Their game plan was simple, but brilliant. It was them saying, “No tricks necessary; our guys are better than your guys.” They recorded only one sack (an overrated statistic), but they forced Manning to move in the pocket and they bashed his receivers when they caught the ball. The defense finished with four turnovers and a touchdown, a great day’s work. 

It’s also all about pass defense in the current NFL, so you need a stable of pass-rushers and “space” players in the back seven -- exceptional athletes who can drop, cover and make plays on the ball against offenses that spread the field. The Jets finished 22nd in pass defense. The Seahawks are built for speed; it’s always been the Pete Carroll philosophy. That’s why he doesn’t carry linebackers north of 250 pounds. 

In contrast, Ryan built his front seven based on strength and power, the necessary attributes of a 3-4 scheme, although he has tweaked his philosophy to adapt to the new NFL. That was apparent in 2012, when he used a third-round pick on Demario Davis, a run-and-hit linebacker. In the not-so-old days, a linebacker like Davis -- 239 pounds -- wouldn’t have been a scheme fit. 

Davis didn’t wow anyone in his first season as a starter, but he’s an ascending player, one of their building blocks. He and cornerback Dee Milliner -- the December Milliner, not the early Milliner -- have the athleticism to thrive in a fast-flow defense. Cornerback Antonio Cromartie can do it, too, as long as his troublesome hip isn’t an issue. 

Unlike the Seahawks, who have the best safety tandem in the league, Earl Thomas andKam Chancellor, the Jets are suspect at the position. Dawan Landry is a good quarterback, orchestrating the back end, but he doesn’t make plays. There’s a lot to like about Antonio Allen, who has improved considerably, but he’s still not a finished product. What does it say that graybeard Ed Reed, a midseason pickup, tied for the team lead with three interceptions? 

Look, this isn’t a hatchet job on the Jets' defense. Clearly, they're better on defense than they were a year ago at this time. Their foundation is better than two-thirds of the teams, but they're still a few players away from Seattle's best. General manager John Idzik's first draft was solid, but he needs to find some of those fourth- and fifth-round gems, like his former colleagues have done in Seattle. 

The front 7 is built to stop the pocket passer so we are on the right track. Our dline is insanely versatile...we just need to improve the secondary and take on an attitude of 11 hats to the football.

People say the safety is a dying position but Kam Chancellor was the best player on the field during their playoff run.

People say the safety is a dying position but Kam Chancellor was the best player on the field during their playoff run.

I agree 100% Earl Thomas is the real game changer on that team. I would not be upset if all if they took a safety in the 1st round. 

The front 7 is built to stop the pocket passer so we are on the right track. Our dline is insanely versatile...we just need to improve the secondary and take on an attitude of 11 hats to the football.

Now its Kam and not Earl?  haha   Both bad mofo's.

I love articles like these...hey, the Jets D is good, but its not as good as the best D in the league.  Breaking F'ing News right there.

Now its Kam and not Earl?  haha   Both bad mofo's.

I love articles like these...hey, the Jets D is good, but its not as good as the best D in the league.  Breaking F'ing News right there.

Kam was their best player during their playoff run...Thomas is crazy talented too though. 

Their secondary was good, but was allowed to play an immensely more physical style of football in the playoffs than compared to the regular season. That allowed Seattle's talented and over-sized secondary to physically man-handle Denver's WRs, who's routes and concepts are built on precision and timing. The later was completely negated by Seattle's Dline decimating Denver's Oline. Seattle's secondary is the goods, but make no mistake, without Avril, Irvin, Mebane and Bryant just obliterating Denver's Oline, this becomes much more of a game.  Christ, I think Avril single-handedly ruined Manning's day.  I saw Peyton move more outside the pocket that game than I did in the entire season.

This season basically shows you two things. 1) It's obviously a passing league, no one can argue against that. You have a good/elite QB or you're out of the playoffs. 2) Once you make it to the playoffs, where the officiating is better and you're allowed to play a more physical brand of football, a defense and running game can carry you. However, you're not going to get to the playoffs without said good QB.

Their secondary was good, but was allowed to play an immensely more physical style of football in the playoffs than compared to the regular season. That allowed Seattle's talented and over-sized secondary to physically man-handle Denver's WRs, who's routes and concepts are built on precision and timing. The later was completely negated by Seattle's Dline decimating Denver's Oline. Seattle's secondary is the goods, but make no mistake, without Avril, Irvin, Mebane and Bryant just obliterating Denver's Oline, this becomes much more of a game.  Christ, I think Avril single-handedly ruined Manning's day.  I saw Peyton move more outside the pocket that game than I did in the entire season.

This season basically shows you two things. 1) It's obviously a passing league, no one can argue against that. You have a good/elite QB or you're out of the playoffs. 2) Once you make it to the playoffs, where the officiating is better and you're allowed to play a more physical brand of football, a defense and running game can carry you. However, you're not going to get to the playoffs without said good QB.

Good QB with the right defense though is not turning it over...obviously we've had issues with that.

Denver can run up the score all they want...the AFC stunk this year. People were afraid to pick against Manning for whatever reason...but Seattle whips Denver if they play another 10 times.

Good QB with the right defense though is not turning it over...obviously we've had issues with that.

Denver can run up the score all they want...the AFC stunk this year. People were afraid to pick against Manning for whatever reason...but Seattle whips Denver if they play another 10 times.

Well yea, I just lumped it all into good QB play.  It's why Geno's play the last quarter of the season actually has me hopeful *shudders* for his future and our coming seasons. If he can give us the 7:2 td to int ratio, this team could make some serious noise. Hell, if he just kept the 2:1 passing tds:int he did the last quarter, I'd be hard-pressed to pick against us going to the playoffs. 

The NFC was definitely the class of the NFL this year. I still noticed a stark comparison between the physical style of play between the regular season and the playoffs, which is a good thing for us if we do make it next year.

Well yea, I just lumped it all into good QB play.  It's why Geno's play the last quarter of the season actually has me hopeful *shudders* for his future and our coming seasons. If he can give us the 7:2 td to int ratio, this team could make some serious noise. Hell, if he just kept the 2:1 passing tds:int he did the last quarter, I'd be hard-pressed to pick against us going to the playoffs. 

The NFC was definitely the class of the NFL this year. I still noticed a stark comparison between the physical style of play between the regular season and the playoffs, which is a good thing for us if we do make it next year.

agree, if Jets sneak in they have a team that is built for playoffs more than maybe some other 'more talented regular season' clubs

Of course, which was the only reason I gave Denver any shot in the SB. If the refs called it tight(ala the Pitt/Sea SB)...but it didnt even come to that.

On the bright side, we are just missing one player at the secondary level, and a player at the linebacker level to really step up our defensive production. 

We need a playmaking safety (Byrd?) and a fast linebacker (Barnes? Hubbard?) and we can be legit. 

Of course, which was the only reason I gave Denver any shot in the SB. If the refs called it tight(ala the Pitt/Sea SB)...but it didnt even come to that.

Keeping it on that topic, I'd have to imagine it's incredibly frustrating for players to play that style in the playoffs, then get a 30k fine for the same thing the next 16 games they're in.  It was nice seeing Seattle allowed to play and not the "you can't hit above the belly bottom or below the hips" nonsense that we've seen over the last few years.

Keeping it on that topic, I'd have to imagine it's incredibly frustrating for players to play that style in the playoffs, then get a 30k fine for the same thing the next 16 games they're in.  It was nice seeing Seattle allowed to play and not the "you can't hit above the belly bottom or below the hips" nonsense that we've seen over the last few years.

Yeah man. The Niners/Hawks game was a treat. Most people find that type of football more entertaining anyways(I think). The AFC wasn't ready for that, whether it of been the Pats or Denver.

Julius Thomas was stopping and bracing for impact...they were scared. 

Yeah man. The Niners/Hawks game was a treat. Most people find that type of football more entertaining anyways(I think). The AFC wasn't ready for that, whether it of been the Pats or Denver.

Julius Thomas was stopping and bracing for impact...they were scared. 

I knew Chancelor was big, but didn't know he was 231 lbs, Seattle's whole secondary is dieseled up.  Julius, Welker and Decker were all getting alligator arms and wanted no part of that, the only receiver that wasn't was Demeryius. He's just a man-child, but even he couldn't do it all on his own.

I don't know,  the jets defense had their moments, but the Jets also were blown out in many games this season.  The offense stunk and Geno turned the ball all often enough, but at the end of the day,  the Jets, as a team, stunk for over half the season.    EJ Manuel and Ryan T Looked like Peyton Manning on a great day this season.  it's one thing if that was just one game, but for quite a few games, the Jets defense wasn't all that great.   Yeah they were great against the run, but they kind of sucked against the pass.       To much credit is being given to the last two games of the season.  Games that no longer mattered and all the pressure was off.  And a game against a Browns team that already gave up and a Dolphins team that just got shut out by the crappy Bills.       

I think the Jets are great on the DL, but other than that, who knows.  Milliner had some nice games to close out the season, but to assume he's suddenly a beast is ridiculous.  He sucked for most of the year.  And Cromartie, he pretty much sucked all year long.  Will he recover?  Who knows, he was never the shut down corner type. He was always, great play, oh crap he was burned anyway.  And now he's older and has some injuries to deal with.

For all the things I like about Rex's defensive prowess, stripping the ball from the opposition hasn't ever seemed to be a focal point and if it is it's not being taught right.

It can't be at the sacrifice of tackling which would seem to be the 2nd area not prioritized, but the Seahawks do both of these things well and we seem to lack in both skills a lot.

Fundies ... as much as I dislike scumbag Petey - he seems to sing this song loud to the Hawks.  

Seattle's offense isn't the best, but the Jets is way worse!

Well they just won the super bowl 43-8 because of Offense, Defense, and special teams, and coaching.        The Jets need to win games 10-8 and there defense is just not that good.

Archived