Phil Simms rips 2014 QB Class (MERGED)

eboozer

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does Jaws son play QB, so I can use this same logic?

The answer is simple. He dropped to the 2nd round in the WORST QB draft in the past 20 years. This years class is loaded and he probably would be about the 10th QB at best off the board. Anything before the 3rd or 4th round for Geno this year would be a pipedream.

Murray reminds me a lot of Drew Brees. of all the development type QB's, I like Murray the best. If the Jets draft him we can say good bye to Mr Simms - which is too bad, because I like him too.

agreed. Accurate, strong arm, prolific career in college football's best conference. Seems like a good kid.

if this guy was drafted by the Jets, people on this very board would be laughing at him, never wanting to give him a chance, and comparing him to the Rat. there's no doubt in my mind. Then if he actually played for the talentless Jets his career would have been over before it started and he would be a third stringer for the Cleveland Browns.

Lol.  

Whatever, man.

Couldn't possibly be that 2 QBs you worshiped weren't close to half as good as your praise made them out to be.  That would mean you were wrong year after year after year.  Couldn't be you.  It has to be the whole organization.

I'm sure Chad Pennington and Mark Sanchez would have won a SB (or three) with the Jets if only he had Troy Brown and David Givens and Deion Branch and Bethel Johnson and Rod Rutledge and Daniel Graham.

If Coles & Cotchery were on the Pats, catching passes from Brady, there is no doubt you'd have been whining that we never had anyone as good as those two.

Lol.  

Whatever, man.

Couldn't possibly be that 2 QBs you worshiped weren't close to half as good as your praise made them out to be.  That would mean you were wrong year after year after year.  Couldn't be you.  It has to be the whole organization.

I'm sure Chad Pennington and Mark Sanchez would have won a SB (or three) with the Jets if only he had Troy Brown and David Givens and Deion Branch and Bethel Johnson and Rod Rutledge and Daniel Graham.

If Coles & Cotchery were on the Pats, catching passes from Brady, there is no doubt you'd have been whining that we never had anyone as good as those two.

I don't worship QB's all I ask is that you give them tools to succeed, if at that point they fail them I'm right with ya

I don't worship QB's all I ask is that you give them tools to succeed, if at that point they fail them I'm right with ya

There was a time where Coles/Cotchery was the best WR tandem in the division.  But sure, we didn't give poor Chad the tools that Brady had.  Tools like David Givens and David Patten and Christian Fauria and Reche Caldwell and his f*cking bug eyes.

Sanchez was given a 6'3" tall, fast WR in his prime and ended his career.  Then he was given the reigning SB MVP and did the same thing to him.

Both of them had solid (if not great) offensive lines and solid or better ground attacks to take pressure off the passing game.  Better than NE had, anyway.

The last 2 years really were the only times the team was so deficient in receiving talent that you could even attempt to blame them for the QB's woes, and 2 years ago that was mostly due to injury (Holmes and Keller in particular).  

This past year the injuries were even worse, but that receiving squad wasn't going to be good unless someone had given Holmes lisfranc and attitude transplants.  Sanchez wasn't good when the team (receivers in particular) were healthy and productive.  

Smith is still a question-mark but his only season was with an awful crop of receivers, who were all injured anyway, and never played in a system anything like that before.  So he can get some rookie excuses that don't get shared by others.  Also the team around him was largely gutted. Nothing like what Sanchez walked into by any remote stretch.  

We'll upgrade at receiver this year, no doubt.  If Smith is no better then get him off the field. No more wasting half-decades on the likes of Pennington and Sanchez.

There was a time where Coles/Cotchery was the best WR tandem in the division.  But sure, we didn't give poor Chad the tools that Brady had.  Tools like David Givens and David Patten and Christian Fauria and Reche Caldwell and his f*cking bug eyes.

Sanchez was given a 6'3" tall, fast WR in his prime and ended his career.  Then he was given the reigning SB MVP and did the same thing to him.

Both of them had solid (if not great) offensive lines and solid or better ground attacks to take pressure off the passing game.  Better than NE had, anyway.

The last 2 years really were the only times the team was so deficient in receiving talent that you could even attempt to blame them for the QB's woes, and 2 years ago that was mostly due to injury (Holmes and Keller in particular).  

This past year the injuries were even worse, but that receiving squad wasn't going to be good unless someone had given Holmes lisfranc and attitude transplants.  Sanchez wasn't good when the team (receivers in particular) were healthy and productive.  

Smith is still a question-mark but his only season was with an awful crop of receivers, who were all injured anyway, and never played in a system anything like that before.  So he can get some rookie excuses that don't get shared by others.  Also the team around him was largely gutted. Nothing like what Sanchez walked into by any remote stretch.  

We'll upgrade at receiver this year, no doubt.  If Smith is no better then get him off the field. No more wasting half-decades on the likes of Pennington and Sanchez.

same stale bullsh*t argument claiming the Jets had some kind of talent when in fact they had sh*t. The year Sanchez had all that so called great talent he had 26 TD's and a very good rating inside the 20 along with 6 rushing TD's his major issue was turning the ball over and that happened to be the first year he went backwards in that category. Funny how most of those guys were sent packing not to sign with other teams . So with that little added talent Sanchez proved he could at least put up some numbers. What did the jets do ? They hired a borderline Moron as OC and got rid of most of the receivers then Lost Keller and Cumberland to injury Holmes to Injury and Hill was walking wounded all year not to mention we had no RB's who could catch and the OL lost 2 very solid football players replaced by guys I would not even classify as JAGS but you keep going with your stupid pointless argument because it makes so much sense. None of this is to say Sanchez would have ever fixed his turnover problem but hes certainly not as bad as some of the posters in this forum make him out to be. Plenty of QB's who have come and gone wo would never have even sniffed 32 TD's in a season.

same stale bullsh*t argument claiming the Jets had some kind of talent when in fact they had sh*t. The year Sanchez had all that so called great talent he had 26 TD's and a very good rating inside the 20 along with 6 rushing TD's his major issue was turning the ball over and that happened to be the first year he went backwards in that category. Funny how most of those guys were sent packing not to sign with other teams . So with that little added talent Sanchez proved he could at least put up some numbers. What did the jets do ? They hired a borderline Moron as OC and got rid of most of the receivers then Lost Keller and Cumberland to injury Holmes to Injury and Hill was walking wounded all year not to mention we had no RB's who could catch and the OL lost 2 very solid football players replaced by guys I would not even classify as JAGS but you keep going with your stupid pointless argument because it makes so much sense. None of this is to say Sanchez would have ever fixed his turnover problem but hes certainly not as bad as some of the posters in this forum make him out to be. Plenty of QB's who have come and gone wo would never have even sniffed 32 TD's in a season.

The dream world you live in is the only one where Mark Sanchez had the potential to be an excellent QB. He was awful in his best season.

The dream world you live in is the only one where Mark Sanchez had the potential to be an excellent QB. He was awful in his best season.

there you go with your bullsh*t again. never said EVER that he would be excellent, all I have ever said was that he had the potential to be good with a half decent team behind him on offense if he cut down on the turnovers. But you start with your dramatics claiming I must think hes going to be excellent when i never ever said that.

there you go with your bullsh*t again. never said EVER that he would be excellent, all I have ever said was that he had the potential to be good with a half decent team behind him on offense if he cut down on the turnovers. But you start with your dramatics claiming I must think hes going to be excellent when i never ever said that.

Sanchez had a good supporting cast for most of his career.. his rookie year he has the best defense and running game in football for christs sake

certainly , he had little to work with in year 4 , as geno did this year, but let's not pretend year 4 was representative of his entire career

For years it was insinuated by blaming the team around him for his failures. Forget about the silver linings in narrowly-looked-at statistics. I saw the guy throw 4 TDs in a game and look like he didn't belong on a high school field. Ordinarily I'd have said it was one of his worst-QB'd games except there were so many others what's the sense in ranking them?

Likewise, ranking his best season is like ranking the best-smelling ass-crack in an 1850s wagon train in the middle of a hot summer. In actuality there may be one that's better than the rest, but it's still nothing you want to market as an air freshener scent or cologne.

if this guy was drafted by the Jets, people on this very board would be laughing at him, never wanting to give him a chance, and comparing him to the Rat. there's no doubt in my mind. Then if he actually played for the talentless Jets his career would have been over before it started and he would be a third stringer for the Cleveland Browns.

I agree 100% with this assessment. Smash is exactly right, the Jets have no idea on who to draft and when, and then when they do, on how to best utilize said future Jets busts. THAT'S the biggest problem that this team has had over the past 14 years. Notice how many guys have had success with other teams after we just let them go away for NOTHING?

Sanchez had a good supporting cast for most of his career.. his rookie year he has the best defense and running game in football for christs sake

certainly , he had little to work with in year 4 , as geno did this year, but let's not pretend year 4 was representative of his entire career

Chan our WR's have been getting raped for years and we have not had a clutch one in the bunch and other than Braylon Edwards most of them have been pussies afraid to go over the middle out come the alligator arms. Keller was the biggest pussy of them all yet yeah the Jets had some talent. Give me a freakin Break. So we ran the ball very well in 09 and 10 and Braylon seemed to be geling with Sanchez what exactly did the Jets do ? They signed Holmes to a 10 mil per contract and dumped Edwards ...thats about as dumb as it gets. if that was not enough they sign 2 ******* loudmouth thugs in Plaxico and Mason both out of football the following season. Nice Job

I agree 100% with this assessment. Smash is exactly right, the Jets have no idea on who to draft and when, and then when they do, on how to best utilize said future Jets busts. THAT'S the biggest problem that this team has had over the past 14 years. Notice how many guys have had success with other teams after we just let them go away for NOTHING?

I've noticed that it's really not all that many outside of perennial pro-bowlers Danny Woodhead and James Ihedigbo.

Chan our WR's have been getting raped for years and we have not had a clutch one in the bunch and other than Braylon Edwards most of them have been pussies afraid to go over the middle out come the alligator arms. Keller was the biggest pussy of them all yet yeah the Jets had some talent. Give me a freakin Break. So we ran the ball very well in 09 and 10 and Braylon seemed to be geling with Sanchez what exactly did the Jets do ? They signed Holmes to a 10 mil per contract and dumped Edwards ...thats about as dumb as it gets. if that was not enough they sign 2 ******* loudmouth thugs in Plaxico and Mason both out of football the following season. Nice Job

In all fairness regarding Braylon, his career did take a complete nosedive after we let him go.  Two straight <200 yard seasons, which culminated with him missing the entire 2013 season. We dumped him as he was about to fall off a cliff. 

*I'd like to CC Joewilly12 to this.

to play dime store shrink if Geno is great that makes Matt Simms' career seem hopeful. If Geno stinks, Matt Simms must stink even worse. 

Phil Simms watches alot of Jets football but he's too close to this situation to be unbiased.

I tried that excuse. The Geno lovers weren't buying it. I know, shocking, right?

I've noticed that it's really not all that many outside of perennial pro-bowlers Danny Woodhead and James Ihedigbo.

lol.

Yeah, you can definitely make a case that the Jets are poor talent evaluators.  But the only players you can legitimately say we failed to develop and excelled elsewhere are James Farrior and Jonathan Goodwin.  Did Vernon Gholston, Chad Pennington, LaMont Jordan, Kerry Rhodes, or Braylon Edwards go on to great things after they took off the Green and White?

Cotchery had a fine career here so his success with Pittsburgh with a major upgrade in the QB throwing him the ball isn't particularly damning.  John Abraham was just who we thought he was when we traded him:  A talented DE with questionable toughness (and I'm being kind there).  We got the most we could out of Laveranues Coles and Dustin Keller.  Etc etc.

Cotchery

Washington

Farrior

Vilma

Washington and Vilma were traded, so they weren't let go for NOTHING. It took Cotchery three years after the Jets released him to put up a decent season. And if you have to go all the way back to Bill Parcells draft pick James Farrior, I think you're making my point for me. Thanks.

lol.

Yeah, you can definitely make a case that the Jets are poor talent evaluators.  But the only players you can legitimately say we failed to develop and excelled elsewhere are James Farrior and Jonathan Goodwin.  Did Vernon Gholston, Chad Pennington, LaMont Jordan, Kerry Rhodes, or Braylon Edwards go on to great things after they took off the Green and White?

Cotchery had a fine career here so his success with Pittsburgh with a major upgrade in the QB throwing him the ball isn't particularly damning.  John Abraham was just who we thought he was when we traded him:  A talented DE with questionable toughness (and I'm being kind there).  We got the most we could out of Laveranues Coles and Dustin Keller.  Etc etc.

Uh, we discarded CHAD like garbage for some guy in a walker, and he won the AFC east the next year.

Archived