Jets "all over" Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks.

joewilly12

Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg attended the pro day of Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks, a player New York has reportedly been "all over."

Cooks is a dynamic slot receiver that also possesses the ability to stretch the field. He has the stop-start quickness of Tavon Austin, but is a more polished route runner and has a better understanding of how to get open. Cooks would be a welcome addition to a Jets' offense desperately in need of weapons. Cooks or North Carolina TE Eric Ebron would make a lot of sense for the Jets at pick 18.

Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg attended the pro day of Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks, a player New York has reportedly been "all over."

Cooks is a dynamic slot receiver that also possesses the ability to stretch the field. He has the stop-start quickness of Tavon Austin, but is a more polished route runner and has a better understanding of how to get open. Cooks would be a welcome addition to a Jets' offense desperately in need of weapons. Cooks or North Carolina TE Eric Ebron would make a lot of sense for the Jets at pick 18.

Shouldn't this be in the Draft Dept. Thread??

:winking0001:  Just messin' with ya'

What's wrong with Kerley

Mornhinweg's system seems to prefer more of these smaller shifty receivers, which in theory is fine and I'm on the Geno bandwagon still, but with his accuracy I'm a little worried about trying to run it. That being said I'm ok with Lee at 18, who's smaller, cause I've seen what he does on the field. I don't really know much about Cooks outside his combine numbers

Mornhinweg's system seems to prefer more of these smaller shifty receivers, which in theory is fine and I'm on the Geno bandwagon still, but with his accuracy I'm a little worried about trying to run it. That being said I'm ok with Lee at 18, who's smaller, cause I've seen what he does on the field. I don't really know much about Cooks outside his combine numbers

Do you know what Lee's 40 was at his pro day? 

Agree you are correct and there already is a thread about this,sorry. Moderators please merge or delete,thanks.

Hey, man.... everything's cool. This is a "Free Love" board.... just don't eat the Green Acid!

Exactly the first thing that came to my mind.  So I guess getting all over him is just a prelude to going hard -- or sumpin' like that.

Sometimes I go hard before I can even get all over 'em.

Do you know what Lee's 40 was at his pro day? 

He didn't run.  He lifted and ran some drills.  Supposedly decent workout that would not change anyone's mind one way or the other.

Already posted in the NFL free agency thread.

So every player who signs you want a thread? Better get Roto-Rooter cause this place is gonna be clogged.

Billy Asswipe just signed with the Raiders time for a new thread.

This belongs in the NFL free agency thread.

And wait for it..

Agree you are correct and there already is a thread about this,sorry. Moderators please merge or delete,thanks.

Too many other , better , wide outs will be there at 18. Wasn't there off field "issues" with Cooks ?

There are a bunch of people who have Cooks as a guy who should be the third receiver off the board - Kiper is one, he's got him 15th on his big board and going to the Ravens one slot ahead of the Jets. As alluded to in the Rotoworld blurb in the first post, multiple analysts have compared him to a bigger, more athletic version of Tavon Austin. Austin went 8th overall last year, the Jets were supposedly all over him, and Geno Smith had a ton of success with Austin at West Virginia. There's also no off the field issues I know of for Cooks.

He was super productive last year at Oregon State (1700 yards, 16 TD's, won the Biletnikoff award). He's taller and heavier than Austin, I don't think his quickness is quite as special (Austin's arguably the quickest person I've watched in following the draft) but is he very quick and did break combine records for the 20 and 60 yard shuttles I believe so he can definitely stop and start. Definitely better at making plays on the ball down the field than Austin though and he's great after the catch. Played a lot outside in college but can also play in the slot.

If the Jets add another veteran wideout like James Jones, Cooks would be a great fit to add a little sizzle to the passing game both stretching the field and making plays after the catch/in the screen game. They could do a lot worse at 18 IMO.

I haven't watched Cooks so I can't really say anything one way or another. Lee is a solid football player though, Mike Tannenbaum killed any real weight I used to put on 40 times

Great hands, great routes, great speed, and durable. Keith McGill could be a 2nd-3rd round pick and they took him off Cooks in the second half bc he could stay with him.

There are a bunch of people who have Cooks as a guy who should be the third receiver off the board - Kiper is one, he's got him 15th on his big board and going to the Ravens one slot ahead of the Jets. As alluded to in the Rotoworld blurb in the first post, multiple analysts have compared him to a bigger, more athletic version of Tavon Austin. Austin went 8th overall last year, the Jets were supposedly all over him, and Geno Smith had a ton of success with Austin at West Virginia. There's also no off the field issues I know of for Cooks.

He was super productive last year at Oregon State (1700 yards, 16 TD's, won the Biletnikoff award). He's taller and heavier than Austin, I don't think his quickness is quite as special (Austin's arguably the quickest person I've watched in following the draft) but is he very quick and did break combine records for the 20 and 60 yard shuttles I believe so he can definitely stop and start. Definitely better at making plays on the ball down the field than Austin though and he's great after the catch. Played a lot outside in college but can also play in the slot.

If the Jets add another veteran wideout like James Jones, Cooks would be a great fit to add a little sizzle to the passing game both stretching the field and making plays after the catch/in the screen game. They could do a lot worse at 18 IMO.

Would you take Lee or Cooks?

Interesting thing about Cooks are that his "weaknesses" include: " Lacks elite, blazing speed to run by NFL corners and safeties." Hahaha.

Both he and and Austin had the top 20 yard shuttle times of their years, but Cooks was a significant .2 faster.  I don't know if that has any significance going year to year though.  Scary thing with Geno would be his allegedly small catch radius.  Geno is not the most accurate guy and that could hurt a bit, but he is a legit prospect for 18.

Now that Steve Smith signed with Balt. Maybe they don't go WR in 1st rd?

Archived