Giants Sign DRC

brian101193

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is actually the way they g,o who are the projected 2nd or 3rd Rd. CB's?

Well, Bradley Roby is a guy who could slip into the second round, especially with all of the talent this draft has, someone's going to have to fall.  There are some guys who are very intriguing in the 2nd and 3rd rounds: Bashaud Breeland from Clemson is someone I would keep my eye on as well as Stanley Jean-Baptiste.  Breeland is someone I mention, not just because of his skills, but the whole Rex-Clemson connection. It's not rare for a coach or GM to be at someone's pro-day thinking they're looking at Watkins or Teddy Bridgewater, when they're really their to scout Breeland or Calvin Pryor, respectively.  Jean-Baptiste is a physical specimen, who seems to fit with the mid-round, larger type, WR converts that Seattle loves and may have the Idzik connection there.  

What's so great about all these corners that their original clubs let them all go? Vontae Davis is the only guy who resigned with his club. Revis is the only one who is worth big money and he has bad blood here and cannot be trusted. Denver got ******* annihilated in the Superbowl. Seattle let a pair of guys go. San Francisco let a dude walk. Maybe we just have Milliner develop and a rotation of average guys on the other side. Everyone needs to chill the **** out.

Spot on. 

Free agency is where you pay top dollar for fools gold. Inflated contracts for mediocre and/or "done" players.

NFL is and always will be about youth. A couple FA veterans with good years still to come sprinkled in is good, but shouldn't be the backbone of the roster.

sh*t contract for a guy who has only played at the top of his game in a contract year. While it stings on the surface that we didn't get a sexy name to plug in at CB - my first inclination here is to side with the GM's decision on this.

I agree, he ain't worth that much, his older cousin who we let go is better. WTHBS, I will reiterate: Players just aren't too interested in playing for this owner, this team, this coach, these coaches. It ain't all the new GM's fault. Players aren't seeing too much promise from this Jets organization going forward-we better build through the draft because Free Agency has just flown out the window...hell. even james Jones decided Oakland is a better option. I'll take my chances on Miles Austin over Santonio.

It is entirely plausible Idzik could be getting schooled a bit here too. This was a signing we should have been more aggressive with. This is a good player.

When the cap bumped by $10 mil, that ruined any leverage the Jets had in the market. It's a lousy situation to come to, relative to most of the league, and if Idzik isn't going to beat other offers by 10%, nobody is coming here.

When the cap bumped by $10 mil, that ruined any leverage the Jets had in the market. It's a lousy situation to come to, relative to most of the league, and if Idzik isn't going to beat other offers by 10%, nobody is coming here.

Unless of course you see yourself on a billboard.

So the only reason you come to the Jets is because you have a media-whore wife or get paid 10% more than the next guy? Something tells me this isn't entirely accurate. 

I like what Idzik is doing for the most part too... But the sudden benefit of the doubt for every move is a bit much....especially when the one big signing has some off the field/Woody Johnson feel to it.

Agreed. I don't think too much of this is calculated, as if Idzik sat in his office a month ago and conceived of ways to not sign corners, and to come away with Breno Giacomini. If his plan was to patiently build a long-standing roster, then signing Rex to a short-term deal makes absolutely no sense.

I agree, he ain't worth that much, his older cousin who we let go is better. WTHBS, I will reiterate: Players just aren't too interested in playing for this owner, this team, this coach, these coaches. It ain't all the new GM's fault. Players aren't seeing too much promise from this Jets organization going forward-we better build through the draft because Free Agency has just flown out the window...hell. even james Jones decided Oakland is a better option. I'll take my chances on Miles Austin over Santonio.

Jets are Raiders East, but I don't think we need to go there in reaction to losing DRC to the Giants. Reality is, they probably offered him more money. 

Agreed. I don't think too much of this is calculated, as if Idzik sat in his office a month ago and conceived of ways to not sign corners, and to come away with Breno Giacomini. If his plan was to patiently build a long-standing roster, then signing Rex to a short-term deal makes absolutely no sense.

Yes. See my last post. I am confused about the plan at the moment.

So the only reason you come to the Jets is because you have a media-whore wife or get paid 10% more than the next guy? Something tells me this isn't entirely accurate.

You're a free agent--at any position--and you have three offers on the table, all of them the same, one is from the Jets. Tell me why you take the Jets offer.

Right. I like Rex, but if Idzik was looking to tank it for a higher draft pick next year, then why bring Rex back on what is essentially a 1 year deal? If you don't want to compete in 2014, why not bring in the new coach for year 1 of a new rebuild?

The Jets wanted DRC, IMO. I'd imagine they're intending to try and win games in 2014, Rex needs corners who can play.

Either the sandbag theory is in play again or Idzik got outplayed on this one.

Honestly, I don't think Idzik wanted DRC. The guy is on his fourth team already and seems like a total pain in the ass who doesn't particularly enjoy football.

You're a free agent--at any position--and you have three offers on the table, all of them the same, one is from the Jets. Tell me why you take the Jets offer.

If you want exposure no better place to get it here-prove yourself in New York market is worth more than in Houston , etc

Right. I like Rex, but if Idzik was looking to tank it for a higher draft pick next year, then why bring Rex back on what is essentially a 1 year deal? If you don't want to compete in 2014, why not bring in the new coach for year 1 of a new rebuild?

Isiah Wood Johnson

image-38.jpg

Where are the other two places? Becase they weren't one of the 11 teams to have a losing record, they don't live in a third-world country like detroit, their facilities are state of the art, they seemingly have a team that was on the up-swing winning 3 of the last 4 games, they have one of the 5 youngest teams in the league, they have immense cap-room going forward to make additions provided their QB actually shows he can play in the league.  

It's not the most ideal situation, but there are plenty of teams worse-off than the Jets.  

Honestly, I don't think Idzik wanted DRC. The guy is on his fourth team already and seems like a total pain in the ass who doesn't particularly enjoy football.

I always go back to that Parcells idea that if a player is THINKING about retiring, then he already has. DRC was considering retirement at TWENTY EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!! No 27...that guy was given what, 1 million less than Mevis? No way is he worth that much $$$. The Jets are a team obviously in a state of flux and the whole league knows it. There are REASONS why no one wants to come here...one thing I have have come to understand about the NFL is it's like  living in a small town and everybody knows everything else about everybody. I grew up in one of those type of NJ towns-I know how that works.

Idziks value of each NFL player...I'd like to see his reasoning.

What's going to happen with Wilkersons new deal? With the way he's operating now, I'd be a bit nervous.

It's a totally different scenario though, one where Idzik has all the leverage. Because of the new CBA, he can exercise his option and then use the franchise tag to lock Wilkerson up for a few more years without him ever seeing free agency.  

Archived