Kraft says Revis took less money to play for Pats - Seriously?

docdhc

Where are you getting the number 26 from? 

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=10622880

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Darrelle Revis says at least 26 teams called after he was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

He chose the team whose coach he once called a "jerk."

That's the first couple of sentences of the long article. It may very well be an exaggeration but Im willing to bet the actual figure would still be more than half the NFL.

Yes, but for Kraft to suggest any other teams are not or are less committed to winning is ridiculous and asinine.

He has a point imo. Kraft and the entire football nation knows that this is it. Their window of opportunity is vanishing and are riding on Brady's arm for possibly one last SB push before the "Genius" gets an opportunity to turn that franchise in to the Cleveland Browns of the 1995 or the Patriots of 2000.

Although I understand what you are trying to say with his signing bonus deal, I disagree with how u perceive it. Yes, he received $18mil in signing bonus. However, his first two years base salaries and minor bonuses were only barely above $2mil. So that made it about $20 mil  that he actually received in those first two years. The only reason teams use signing bonus, is to reduce the affect of a major signing requiring larger amount up front to sign.

Quick question. Do u think, in 2010 when Pats were offering the contract to Wilfork, that he would have accepted a deal that didn't have a signing bonus, yet paid him the same $40mil over 5 years but only $2mil in the first two years (essentially paying him almost $13mil each in the next 3 years)?

Your point would be correct if Wilfork had received $18mil in signing bonus, and the rest 22mil evenly diivided over the 5 years ($4.5 mil base throughout the life of the contract). As it is, WIlfork has received the $18mil bonus, and about $14mil in other base salaries and workout bonuses. So he's received $32 mil over the first 4 years

That's fair.  But he still isn't worth $7.5M to a team whose main hurdle to get past is Denver.

If someone else - some other contender - signs him to a deal where it's obvious the intention was for him to have $7.5M just for the 2014 season, then I'll stand corrected.

I don't think, at his age and with his massive size he's coming off an injury where his future effectiveness is unknown, that he'd get a deal like that.  He's a 1-dimensional run stuffer who most teams would pull off the field on passing downs.

In related news Kraft said his young girlfriend dates him because she is really into him and not his money.

Its about the prize (or size in this case?), not the price. Money whores like Revis could care less about the prize and would rather take his fragile chicken legs to Tampa for more money.

*hoping for Revis to drill Brady in the knee, taking him out for the season while he tears his own ACL, MCL, TCL, CCL, BCL, VCL, LCL, RCL and GCL walking off the field

Wilfork coming off an ACL at age 33 or whatever isn't worth what he was due to get paid ($8M or something like that).  

I have no love for New England, but any franchise would be stupid to pay that.  Paying huge dollars to players for past deeds, when there is reasonable expectation that the same won't be repeated again, is a bad way to run a team's payroll.  Terrible, in fact.

Their team is a superbowl contender right now and is up against the cap limit.  Only a fool would pay a 350-lb 33 year-old with a gimpy knee like he was 8 years younger and 100% healthy. 

You want to "take care" of him? Offer him a coaching position after he retires or give him a made-up job if he's 47 and bankrupt.  Keeping Wilfork at an $8M salary could be the difference between them getting knocked out again and getting their first semi-legitimate SB ring.

There are ways to work the cap.... add a yr. with a SB spread out over extra yr. and give a vet minimum deal for next yr. as a backup. Even if cut in camp next yr. you've taken care of the guy. They'll have a lot more money next yr. and can still get some players this yr.

Revis $25 mil comes off the books next yr. They should have around $30 mil next year.

Its about the prize (or size in this case?), not the price. Money whores like Revis could care less about the prize and would rather take his fragile chicken legs to Tampa for more money.

*hoping for Revis to drill Brady in the knee, taking him out for the season while he tears his own ACL, MCL, TCL, CCL, BCL, VCL, LCL, RCL and GCL walking off the field

It would be great if this happened one day at training camp: 

Revis comes on a corner blitz, ignores the red jersey and just trucks Brady's knee at a practice open to the public. All of Pats nation (notice the lower case "n") stares in disbelief as Revis, standing over a writhing-in-pain Tom Brady tears off his Pats helmet and practice jersey to reveal a Jets jersey as Woody lowers a rope from his hovering helicopter to pull Revis to safety.

Revis is the reason Wilfork is so mad. They bring a guy like Revis for $12 mil this yr.(on a 1 yr. rental) only to tell Wilfork, one of their longest tenured, most loved players, he needs to take a pay cut!!

I know he's coming off the ACL injury and he's 32(?)..... but sometimes you have to take care of your own. They're putting out this "we're family" nonsense, when they'll cut you over the cost of a haircut.

I hope this thing blows up in Kraft and Bellyache's face. FA won't want to come to NE 'cause it's all about Tom Brady and Bellichek

No it is not.

He was asked prior to the Revis' signing to take a pay cut. If he performed at a high level last year, he probably would have kept the 7.5 million. However, last year was not great prior to his injury. Then you factor in a 32yo, 375lb man coming of an achilles. There is not a player alive that is surprised that this happened. What do they always say? "It is a business." I get him being angry. It is his perogative.

You are totally wrong about this.

He is 32, and would start on just about any other NFL team. On the open market he gets 10+ million this upcoming season, easily. Ted Washington played effectively until he was like 37. There is nothing athletic about what he does. He is a big, bull rushing NT who occupies two blockers to free up the LB's. He is more of a key to that defense than Revis is.

Edit: Ted Washington played until 39. If he was a basket of injuries like Kris Jenkins was his whole career, I would be cautious. But he hasnt been and I wouldnt be worried at all about giving him 10+ million this upcoming season.

Could Vince play until he is 39? Probably, but it does not mean he is worth $10 million per. I am with Sperm on this. Any team that give him $10 million up front is probably a poor run team. If not, teams would be calling the Patriots with trade offers. It is not happening.

No it is not.

He was asked prior to the Revis' signing to take a pay cut. If he performed at a high level last year, he probably would have kept the 7.5 million. However, last year was not great prior to his injury. Then you factor in a 32yo, 375lb man coming of an achilles. There is not a player alive that is surprised that this happened. What do they always say? "It is a business." I get him being angry. It is his perogative.

Uh, yes, because Pats had planned on signing Revis already. Pats are going all in this year, hence they are trying to save every dime possible to get some talent to their squad.

No it is not.

Could Vince play until he is 39? Probably, but it does not mean he is worth $10 million per. I am with Sperm on this. Any team that give him $10 million up front is probably a poor run team. If not, teams would be calling the Patriots with trade offers. It is not happening.

I didn't even consider this point (in bold).  NO ONE is offering them even a low pick (or a pick in next year's draft)?

Hey, they'd be getting a guy who's getting paid what he's worth, plus if he isn't then they're not locked in long term.  If he is, then signing him long-term next year (or during the season) will be cheaper because he'll be 33 then. Yet it's not happening, for some reason. 

Oh, and you know you guys are still cheaters, right? Yeah, you knew that.  

I didn't even consider this point (in bold). NO ONE is offering them even a low pick (or a pick in next year's de getting a guy who's getting paid what he's worth, plus if he isn't then they're not locked in long term. If he is, then signing him long-term next year (or during the season) will be cheaper because he'll be 33 then. Yet it's not happening, for some reason.

Lol, now you guys are considering who is calling the Pats right now? And you get on Mehta for making stuff up out of thin air? Kraft just said he hopes to work things out with Wilfat. You took that as he is listening to offers for him? Did either of you watch the super bowl last season? Seattle is the team to beat and its because Denver couldnt stop the run. Pats failed to get to the Bowl because they could stop the run either. Keep telling yourself that a team like the Eagles or lots of others wouldnt give him 10 million. You're delusional.

Slats is spot on on this one.  Revis might have taken less money for all I know, but it's not because he wants to do the Pats a favor.  He's coming out of a crappy situation in Tampa Bay and wants a fat deal, but his injury history and the way TB completely misused him has artificially deflated his value.  So he signs a one-year deal with one of the best teams in the NFL, with a coach who knows how to use defensive talent, where he is probably going to do extremely well.  Then, when the time comes, he's made sure that the Pats can't franchise tag him.  So yeah, Revis may have taken less than he could get this year, but it's not because he's a dope or "wants to win."  It's a sound financial decision for both sides.  The Pats want at least one year of the best corner in the league, and Revis wants an extremely lucrative contract by the time he hits 30.  Not a hard situation to understand.

Lol, now you guys are considering who is calling the Pats right now? And you get on Mehta for making stuff up out of thin air? Kraft just said he hopes to work things out with Wilfat. You took that as he is listening to offers for him? Did either of you watch the super bowl last season? Seattle is the team to beat and its because Denver couldnt stop the run. Pats failed to get to the Bowl because they could stop the run either. Keep telling yourself that a team like the Eagles or lots of others wouldnt give him 10 million. You're delusional.

If you know of any teams that have called New England because they are interested in trading for Wilfork, let us know.  Until then I don't now where this Mehta-like accusation nonsense is coming from.  

A team like the Eagles wouldn't give him $10M as a free agent right now, this season.  That is correct.  If they do move on from DeSean Jackson's $10M salary they will not replace it by paying Vince Wilfork that same $10M. No way.

Regarding the Superbowl champs, I guess I missed the part where Seattle tied up 1/12 of their salary cap on a past-his-prime, 2-down nose tackle.

Seattle "was the team to beat" because they had Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Tony McDaniel, and Steven Haushka all playing for about $4M in total combined in cap charges. 

Keep telling yourself that it was for any other reason, like some imaginary Superbowl where Denver couldn't stop Seattle's RBs due to poor NT play.  Marshawn Lynch finished with 39 rushing yards on 15 carries, for a 2.6 ypc average.  Robert Turbin didn't do much better (2.8ypc on 9 carries), and the game was already over at 28-0 by the time he had his first carry in the 3rd quarter.

Are you sure you watched the Superbowl this year?

If you know of any teams that have called New England because they are interested in trading for Wilfork, let us know.  Until then I don't now where this Mehta-like accusation nonsense is coming from.  

A team like the Eagles wouldn't give him $10M as a free agent right now, this season.  That is correct.  If they do move on from DeSean Jackson's $10M salary they will not replace it by paying Vince Wilfork that same $10M. No way.

Regarding the Superbowl champs, I guess I missed the part where Seattle tied up 1/12 of their salary cap on a past-his-prime, 2-down nose tackle.

Seattle "was the team to beat" because they had Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Tony McDaniel, and Steven Haushka all playing for about $4M in total combined in cap charges. 

Keep telling yourself that it was for any other reason, like some imaginary Superbowl where Denver couldn't stop Seattle's RBs due to poor NT play.  Marshawn Lynch finished with 39 rushing yards on 15 carries, for a 2.6 ypc average.  Robert Turbin didn't do much better (2.8ypc on 9 carries), and the game was already over at 28-0 by the time he had his first carry in the 3rd quarter.

Are you sure you watched the Superbowl this year?

You were the one claiming no one has called NE. I claim to not know if anyone is or isnt calling them. Making up stories about whether someone has or hasnt called a team is rediculous.

So we aren't going to look at the rushing yards as a team? Is it possible Denver's defense was overcompensating in one area because of a weakness against the power running game? Because overall Seattle (29 for 135) vs Denver (14 for 27) dominated the running game and kept Denver's offense off the field.

Now Wilfork is a two down NT? lol I give up. Can't argue with someone who doesnt understand football and tries to post 5 page responses to hide this fact.

Uh, yes, because Pats had planned on signing Revis already. Pats are going all in this year, hence they are trying to save every dime possible to get some talent to their squad.

So you are saying, they went to Vince and said we need you to take a pay cut for a player that is not even released yet.  Ok.  That is prudent planning.

I didn't even consider this point (in bold).  NO ONE is offering them even a low pick (or a pick in next year's draft)?

Hey, they'd be getting a guy who's getting paid what he's worth, plus if he isn't then they're not locked in long term.  If he is, then signing him long-term next year (or during the season) will be cheaper because he'll be 33 then. Yet it's not happening, for some reason. 

I agree.  Why lost even Mr. Irrelevant for a guy thay may be cut.

So you are saying, they went to Vince and said we need you to take a pay cut for a player that is not even released yet.  Ok.  That is prudent planning.

Yes, everybody knew Revis was going to be a FA (no one was trading for his contract). And Pats needed a top tier corner. They lost out on Talib and then targeted Revis. They were even in the DRC discussions. They KNEW they needed the cap. And I don't blame them for asking Vince to take a pay cut. Old, coming off a major injury for any football player, let alone a big guy like him, and very expensive. I think those $8mil can be spent on a couple of good players as opposed to one 'good' player. Its hard to say if he'd be playing at a great level again, but I doubt he falls below the standard of an above average defensive lineman.

Just figured I poke back in to see what was going on with my temporarily estranged team. Just saw from this post that my favorite Jet player of all time signed with the f----ing Patriots. That's nice. You can't make this stuff up.

I am really looking forward to car shows this spring and summer.

Just figured I poke back in to see what was going on with my temporarily estranged team. Just saw from this post that my favorite Jet player of all time signed with the f----ing Patriots. That's nice. You can't make this stuff up.

I am really looking forward to car shows this spring and summer.

Vick signed with the Jets after Revis went to the Pats. You sure you have the right board?

You were the one claiming no one has called NE. I claim to not know if anyone is or isnt calling them. Making up stories about whether someone has or hasnt called a team is rediculous.

So we aren't going to look at the rushing yards as a team? Is it possible Denver's defense was overcompensating in one area because of a weakness against the power running game? Because overall Seattle (29 for 135) vs Denver (14 for 27) dominated the running game and kept Denver's offense off the field.

Now Wilfork is a two down NT? lol I give up. Can't argue with someone who doesnt understand football and tries to post 5 page responses to hide this fact.

If it makes you feel any better, slightly reword what I said to "Despite weeks of very known and very public issues between Wilfork and the Patriots, we have no knowledge that any team has any interest in trading any thing for Vince Wilfork, coming off a ruptured Achilles or whatever it was, turning 33, at 370 lbs, with 1 year $7.5M left on his contract."

There is no friggin' way anyone would offer him a year contract for $10M, 2 years $20M, 3 years $30M, etc.  He didn't get that money in his prime when he was years younger and didn't just miss most of a season.

Regarding the superbowl, Seattle's non-RB rushing yards came from Wilson running (on designed pass plays when Wilfat is likely off the field anyway), and a couple of end-arounds.  Those left-end runs had zero to do with a lesser nose tackle not stuffing things up the gut.

On plays where Wilfork would have been a factor, Lynch was kept pretty well in check.  Seattle won the game because Manning didn't have his way with them like he did to pretty much everyone else.  Harvin's return added to it, but that game wasn't close, and wasn't going to be close, with or without it.  The presence of Vince Wilfork on the Broncos would have still resulted in Denver getting the snot beat out of them.

You know I love you, man, but I can't believe anyone could watch that superbowl and come away with thinking the reason Denver lost was because of a perceived deficiency at nose tackle.

I call BS. Revis would have played for the Browns or the Jags if they gave him the most $$$. There is NO WAY that revis took less to play for Pats. Of course, we will not know who offered more $$$$ but let's keep this in perspective, Revis has NEVER taken less oney since joining the league. Maximizing dollars is his strategy, and given the relatively short career for for FB players, its a logical strategy. Each one of us would take more when we can.  

The pats are lying that he took less $$$$....just another in a long line of lies.

LL

This kind of thing happens all the time in other sports where injuries are less common and the players have more negotiating power.  Guys take short term deals for slightly less money in order to maximize value on a multi-year deal.  Guaranteed money is a huge deal in the NFL, but I'm guessing Revis thinks this deal is worth the risk, especially because he plays on the defensive side of the ball.  They key part of this deal is that the Pats cannot franchise tag him.  If they want to keep him from testing the market, they have to pick up his $20 million option.  As long as Revis is healthy and good, he gets paid big time.

Archived