Don't expect Jets to sign DeSean Jackson

Cmartin

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NJ report had to scare the organization away. Jets were interested prior to that report even though Jackson was still under contract in Philly. It's frustrating because he's the guy we desperately need.

I wouldn't mind going CB in 1st round but that's only if we signed Jackson. I would hate to go CB with glaring needs at WR and TE.

The NJ report had to scare the organization away. Jets were interested prior to that report even though Jackson was still under contract in Philly. It's frustrating because he's the guy we desperately need.

I wouldn't mind going CB in 1st round but that's only if we signed Jackson. I would hate to go CB with glaring needs at WR and TE.

Yeah, that was the impact I mentioned earlier.  With most of the talent gone in FA and with so many holes still unfilled, there are only so many needs that the draft can fill for this team.  Having swung and missed on such a solid CB draft class really impacts their choices in May.  Now passing over on another hole (#1) WR, you now go into the draft needing to address that position and BTW, wait for that prospect to develop. 

This is looking like another developmental year where my expectations were a little higher going into this FA with 40M. 

Can we start the jets didn't sign djax tirades amd diatribes now? It's bee pretty slow on here with the moaning and complaining.

Let's take a more direct actionable approach, shall we?

Who and where (draft/FA) do you see the Jets addressing needs at the following positions:

CB

WR

TE

S

OLB

I would hate to go CB with glaring needs at WR and TE.

Agreed.  

We simply can't go CB at #18.  The offense has been neglected far too much in recent years in terms of talent acquisition for them to continue the streak of drafting defense in Rd 1.  Rex is a defensive genius, he'll figure out something to do on defense that will work.  The way I see it, he has 2 first round corners on the roster.  It's time for them to step up.  This offseason needs to be about fixing our broken offense.

Yeah, that was the impact I mentioned earlier. With most of the talent gone in FA and with so many holes still unfilled, there are only so many needs that the draft can fill for this team. Having swung and missed on such a solid CB draft class really impacts their choices in May. Now passing over on another hole (#1) WR, you now go into the draft needing to address that position and BTW, wait for that prospect to develop.

This is looking like another developmental year where my expectations were a little higher going into this FA with 40M.

It's extremely frustrating. In my opinion, CB might the hardest position after QB and LT. If we select a CB in round 1 then we have to wait a couple years for him to develop. I now believe Gilbert will be the guy we select, and I'm not saying I don't like Gilbert.. I'm just saying I'd like him more knowing we don't need to address WR in the draft.

Kyle Wilson not being half the player we expected him to really hurt us. Same goes for Stephanie Hill.

Agreed.  

We simply can't go CB at #18.  The offense has been neglected far too much in recent years in terms of talent acquisition for them to continue the streak of drafting defense in Rd 1.  Rex is a defensive genius, he'll figure out something to do on defense that will work.  The way I see it, he has 2 first round corners on the roster.  It's time for them to step up.  This offseason needs to be about fixing our broken offense.

Which makes passing on Desean unthinkable. 

Maybe their background checks turned up big red flags.  This is just a cumulative effect for failing to sign players.  Signing Pettigrew doesn't seem like a big deal to the casual fan but that failed signing created a need on draft day for a #1 TE since we have none.  The development of Geno is key here for the advancement of the offense.  And failing to land a starting-caliber CB has now created another high-pick need.  Add to that the need at WR which hasn't been filled and once again, a high-pick need.  All of these could have been addressed in FA and the team could be looking at impactful players at safety, OLB, RB to complement those signings thereby creating a far more competitive team this year.

This team however, is still in rebuild mode. 

Let's take a more direct actionable approach, shall we?

Who and where (draft/FA) do you see the Jets addressing needs at the following positions:

CB

WR

TE

S

OLB

Cb isn't a need. Decker/kerley/nelson is light-years ahead of what we had in the last 3 seasons. I'd even argue that te isn't a huge need either. That gives us 6 picks in the first 4 rounds and 3 "needs." Could we upgrade at cb or wr? Absolutely. It is vitally important? Absolutely not.

Agreed.  

As I mention in another thread, you saw the best prospect in last year's draft benched three times at CB.  It's a big learning curve especially without safety help which the man-press offers.  That already set us back.  Maybe Idzik is on a two-year plan here.  Did he tell Woody?

Cb isn't a need. Decker/kerley/nelson is light-years ahead of what we had in the last 3 seasons. I'd even argue that te isn't a huge need either. That gives us 6 picks in the first 4 rounds and 3 "needs." Could we upgrade at cb or wr? Absolutely. It is vitally important? Absolutely not.

Idzik wouldn't agree with you - he contacted 9 CB's.  That's a fact.  It was his busiest position attacked in FA. 

Walls was benched after starting there last year not to see the field much down the stretch.  It's possible that a plan B approach would see Davis moved out there but I assure you it wasn't plan A.  They pursued many CB's.  Just couldn't sign any. 

If you see Nelson starting, that's fine too but Idzik was hot after LaFell so he doesn't agree with you there either.  The continued pro-day discussions with top WR talent would paint a different story there unless you believe they are ALL smoke-screens. 

I'll disagree with your opinions on those positions.

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/the-rundown-can-the-jets-keep-up-with-desean-jackson/

Brian Basset's response to Dyer's idea that the Jets can't sign any players, for fear of being unable to extend Jeremy Kerley:

I like Jeremy Kerley as much as the next guy, but if the Jets are clearing the salary cap deck to make way for Kerley’s next contract, then we all better back away from this team without any sudden moves.

It's extremely frustrating. In my opinion, CB might the hardest position after QB and LT. If we select a CB in round 1 then we have to wait a couple years for him to develop. I now believe Gilbert will be the guy we select, and I'm not saying I don't like Gilbert.. I'm just saying I'd like him more knowing we don't need to address WR in the draft.

Kyle Wilson not being half the player we expected him to really hurt us. Same goes for Stephanie Hill.

If you look at the teams selecting and mock draft boards, it doesn't seem likely that either Gilbert or Dennard will be available.  That being the case, there's no need using a first on one as the remaining CB's would be available in the 2nd and beyond.  It's actually a good year to land one in the 2nd or 3rd round and have him develop behind a veteran.  Like WR, there's a lot of depth at that position and not much separating the top from the mid-round CB's. 

I'm holding out hope that a trade will be swung for Joseph from Houston or he's released.  This would provide this scenario I present above. 

But trust me, not many other cap-casualty possibilities exist.  The CB's have been picked over.  Not a single visit since the DRC debacle.

Six teams reached out to DeSean Jackson's camp yesterday, per @AdamSchefter. I'm told that Jets GM John Idzik did not. #nyj

Seriously? He's not even going to look into it? WHY?????? I understand if there's certain moves he doesn't want to make, but why is he purposefully trying to avoid upgrading this roster at all????

I think it's taken out of context to ridicule.  I believe he mentions Wilkerson in the same breath. 

the D line is going to cost as much as an aircraft carrier to keep in tact.  idzik has only said he wants to have flexibility.  oh, and if we ever find a QB its going to cost a trillion dollars to keep him.

I don't know what's more amusing, the people who wanted him to spend all the cap room in one off season, or the people that actually expected him to

Six teams reached out to DeSean Jackson's camp yesterday, per @AdamSchefter. I'm told that Jets GM John Idzik did not. #nyj

Seriously? He's not even going to look into it? WHY?????? I understand if there's certain moves he doesn't want to make, but why is he purposefully trying to avoid upgrading this roster at all????

master plan

c'mon dude.  he probably asked morningwood and vick about him.  his lack of a pursuit and the eagles cutting him should tell you what you need to know

the people that know him are staying away

the D line is going to cost as much as an aircraft carrier to keep in tact.  idzik has only said he wants to have flexibility.  oh, and if we ever find a QB its going to cost a trillion dollars to keep him.

I don't know what's more amusing, the people who wanted him to spend all the cap room in one off season, or the people that actually expected him to

Cavernous difference between "all of it" and "20% of it." We are still sitting on the largest cap space in the NFL right now, and not even bothering to look into upgrades.

The extensions aren't worth worrying about, not to the extent you're worrying about them at least. Wilkerson is first in line and he doesn't even need to be extended next year.

Cavernous difference between "all of it" and "20% of it." We are still sitting on the largest cap space in the NFL right now, and not even bothering to look into upgrades.

The extensions aren't worth worrying about, not to the extent you're worrying about them at least. Wilkerson is first in line and he doesn't even need to be extended next year.

that sucks

didn't know the off season was over

Idzik wouldn't agree with you - he contacted 9 CB's. That's a fact. It was his busiest position attacked in FA.

Walls was benched after starting there last year not to see the field much down the stretch. It's possible that a plan B approach would see Davis moved out there but I assure you it wasn't plan A. They pursued many CB's. Just couldn't sign any.

If you see Nelson starting, that's fine too but Idzik was hot after LaFell so he doesn't agree with you there either. The continued pro-day discussions with top WR talent would paint a different story there unless you believe they are ALL smoke-screens.

I'll disagree with your opinions on those positions.

You've apparently not understood my position enough to actually disagree with it. The jets going after upgrades has nothing to do with my position on those positions. If anything it reinforces it. That wr could upgrade at the position but that it is a "need"

The Jets have two coaches on their staff who know more about Jackson then anyone  in the NFL.  Marty was his OC for 5 years.  Lal was a college coach with him for 2.

If they don't want to touch this guy with a 10' pole that's good enough.  Jackson has been connected to 2 murders, there are  pictures of him posing with the Banger who was involved in the murder of a 14 YO kid.

While the guy was still wearing the jail clothes.  

Many pictures of him flashing gang signs.  Street gangs don't take kindly to people who aren't members using their signs.

Plus there are reports out of Philly saying his locker room presence made Tone look like  Gandhi.

Think that is a few reasons why

I really wanted this guy's talent on the team but he is staring to look like a disaster waiting to happen

The Jets have two coaches on their staff who know more about Jackson then anyone  in the NFL.  Marty was his OC for 5 years.  Lal was a college coach with him for 2.

If they don't want to touch this guy with a 10' pole that's good enough.  Jackson has been connected to 2 murders, there are  pictures of him posing with the Banger who was involved in the murder of a 14 YO kid.

Many pictures of him flashing gang signs.  Street gangs don't take kindly to people who aren't members using their signs.

Plus there are reports out of Philly saying his locker room presence made Tone look like  Gandhi.

I really wanted this guy's talent on the team but he is staring to look like a disaster waiting to happen

His own center tweeted how happy he was mere minutes after Jackson's release, that's probably as scathing of a response as you can get from a teammate. This is one of those moves that I would be happy with whether he signs or doesn't. He's ending up in Oakland, it makes too much sense for it to not happen.

His own center tweeted how happy he was mere minutes after Jackson's release, that's probably as scathing of a response as you can get from a teammate. This is one of those moves that I would be happy with whether he signs or doesn't. He's ending up in Oakland, it makes too much sense for it to not happen.

+1. Ill be happy if he signs and if not no big deal. We can draft a younger wr with no known issues. I also think if hes not going to be a jet he will be in silver and black

You've apparently not understood my position enough to actually disagree with it. The jets going after upgrades has nothing to do with my position on those positions. If anything it reinforces it. That wr could upgrade at the position but that it is a "need"

I'm going on what you provided - a short one liner.  Blame yourself if you weren't articulated or represented fully.  BTW, I don't understand what you are trying to convey here at all.  It's just not clear.  Sorry.

It's a solid point.  If Lal and Marty weren't pushing for him then that's it.  If it comes out that they were, they were, I'm going to lose it.  Manish fabrications don't qualify.

Sighh, we'll continue waiting for something to happen.  I thought this was such a moment.

I don't know what's more amusing - those who confuse his actions as patience or those who see it for the truth, failed signings.  If he had been a successful negotiator of any ilk, he could have landed those players he coveted namely LaFell, Pettigrew and any of the 9 CB's he was positively linked to.  

I love the excuses being made for him - master plan, holding the money for something better, visionary.  The fact is, he can't seal a deal.  Nothing more.  He's making Bidwell look like a lightweight at the moment.

He tried to sign those players. 

It's a solid point.  If Lal and Marty weren't pushing for him then that's it.  If it comes out that they were, they were, I'm going to lose it.  Manish fabrications don't qualify.

Sighh, we'll continue waiting for something to happen.  I thought this was such a moment.

I agree.  We'll probably never know this, but if Marty and Lal are saying "the kids alright, we can handle him"  and Idzik is making a half assed moral judgement, I'll be upset.

I don't think that's the case.  As Joewilly pointed out his own team mates aren't rallying to him. Even just being silent.  Unusual.

There wasn't just one instance where he flashed a sign ,drunk or something, but many of them.  Really hate to say it, cause Jackson is elite, but I think it's best to pass on this guy

I don't know what's more amusing - those who confuse his actions as patience or those who see it for the truth, failed signings.  If he had been a successful negotiator of any ilk, he could have landed those players he coveted namely LaFell, Pettigrew and any of the 9 CB's he was positively linked to.  

I love the excuses being made for him - master plan, holding the money for something better, visionary.  The fact is, he can't seal a deal.  Nothing more.  He's making Bidwell look like a lightweight at the moment.

He tried to sign those players. 

It might look like that too some, but that seems like a short-sighted view. I have a feeling that the majority of those complaining about Idzik not signing FAs, will be the same ones complaining that he's not re-upping Mo Wilk, Snacks, Coples and Sheldon in a few years or hell, even Davis. He has to think about this coming year and the following off-season when players are coming off of the books. That's not to say he won't or shouldn't sign players, they just have to fit what his plan entails: young, talented and with a work ethic and desire to play football.  All the new scouts that have been interviewed have said how much emphasis Idzik puts on guys having a work ethic and wanting to play football.  Jackson is hella talented, but if MM, Vick and Lal tell him that he skipped or missed meetings, that's probably the end of the conversation. I think it's the rumors that he was insubordinate that bothers some moreso than the gang connections.  

And the 9 cbs you keep mentioning, a lot of that is bogus.  Verner is a tampa 2 style corner who it was later reported we had zero interest in, Captain Munnerlyn & Thurmond are slot/nickel corners who would be luxury signings considering we still have Wilson, Browner is suspended for four games and DRC we made an offer but didn't want the headache that he comes with.  San Fran was linked to dozens of players that they didn't sign, do you see their fan-base bitching about it constantly?  

Archived