Book it: The Jets will win it all in 2005 (by Jetsfan80)

Maxman

The first half of last decade was lost the second Pennington blew out his shoulder. Not that he was the be all end all of QBs when healthy,  but he was definitely the closest they've come since O'Brien. '04's defense was high quality stuff but that was a team hoping their QBs shoulder would stay attached for the playoffs...Things weren't really looking up for the franchise. I still remember how ecstatic people were about Pennington's opening pass against SD, a deep pass to (I assume) Moss.

The first half of last decade was lost the second Pennington blew out his shoulder. Not that he was the be all end all of QBs when healthy,  but he was definitely the closest they've come since O'Brien. '04's defense was high quality stuff but that was a team hoping their QBs shoulder would stay attached for the playoffs...Things weren't really looking up for the franchise. I still remember how ecstatic people were about Pennington's opening pass against SD, a deep pass to (I assume) Moss.

Hahaha. I remember the pass. Chad ran over and gave a big bear hug to Herm, lol. I could be wrong but I think it was preseason game....

I think Pennington could've been a Pro Bowl caliber QB if he never had a shoulder injury. Its sad. The one QB Jets actually draft that would've been solid, ended up on the short end of the stick. Great team mate though.

I bet in 9 yrs. we'll look back at another JetsFan80 monologue and all have a cry over this one as well. Then you will all(many of the mods will be deceased by then)complain about all the possible ways we could have improved the team if Idzik would have spent some money to upgrade the talent, how many draft picks were busts and and how we missed a golden opportunity.
JetsFan80 Started by Jetsfan80, Mar 18 2014 02:51 PM

I posted this in another thread. However, because I'm awesome, I decided to make it into a thread on its own.

Every successful team can pick out a few key signings. Which is why Decker and Giacommini are nothing to spit at. Those are good signings. So was the trade for Chris Ivory. But you don't just say "We have needs/wants at 8 positions. We'll fill those with 6 or 7 free agents and call it a day" like the Browns or Raiders are doing. They're trying to win with other people's players because they failed so miserably at drafting their own talent.

Look at the Seahawks starters and you tell me if it looks like the type of roster Idzik is looking to build:

[NOTE: For our purposes, I am assuming Sidney Rice is headed elsewhere. If he doesn't, he takes Lockette's spot on the depth chart]

QB: Russell Wilson (3rd round pick)

RB: Marshawn Lynch (trade: 2011 4th round pick, 2012 conditional pick)

WR: Doug Baldwin (UDFA)

WR: Percy Harvin (trade: 1st and 7th rounder)

WR: Ricardo Lockette (UDFA)

TE: Zach Miller (Signed 2011 to 5-year deal)

LT: Russell Okung (Top 10 pick)

LG: James Carpenter (1st rounder)

C: Max Unger (2nd rounder)

RG: JR Sweezy (7th rounder)

RT: Michael Bowie (7th rounder)

LDE: Michael Bennett (UDFA)

DT: Brandon Mebane (3rd rounder)

DT: Tony McDaniel (UDFA, bounced between Jaguars and Dolphins, signed in 2013)

RDE: Cliff Avrill (Signed as RFA in 2011)

OLB: Malcolm Smith (7th rounder)

MLB: Bobby Wagner (2nd rounder)

OLB: Bruce Irvin (1st rounder)

CB: Richard Sherman (5th rounder)

CB: Byron Maxwell (6th rounder)

FS: Earl Thomas (1st rounder)

SS: Kam Chancellor (5th rounder)

Of all Seattle's starters on offense, only 1, Zach Miller, was a free agent signing. Much like the Jets traded a 4th rounder for Chris Ivory, the Seahawks did the same to get Marshawn Lynch. Harvin was a pickup via trade as well, but his health has prevented him from making any impact on a team that won the Super Bowl largely without him.

Of their starters on defense, only one, Cliff Avrill, was a significant free agent signing. McDaniel was a scrap-heap pickup that worked out. The rest they found via the draft.

The Seahawks entire back 7 was found via the draft. Their entire offensive line was drafted. That's impressive stuff. You cannot even come close to arguing that this Seattle roster depended on free agents. They depend on the draft. Period.

If the Seahawks are the model we're looking to duplicate, Idzik is right on target so far. He's accumulating talent via the draft, filling a few needs where he can via free agency. And he's also, when the timing is right, making trades with those draft picks. I imagine that he might make a deal or 2 with some of our 12 draft picks when the 2014 draft rolls around, too.

This is how you build a winner.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 18 March 2014 - 02:53 PM.

Did I really write that 9 years ago?  That was pretty good.  What the hell happened?  My writing skills diminished significantly.  And where did 9 years go since I was a sophomore in college, writing JN articles instead of trying to get laid?  Wtf is happening.

I remember 2005 very sh*tty season they went 4-12 & Pennington & Fiedler both got injured in the same game vs the Jaguars. I also remember Bollinger & Testaverde starting some games that season. Herm Edwards was the coach who made a lot of stupid decisions. Offense and Defense were equally bad. Oh the bad Jets memories LoL

Did I really write that 9 years ago?  That was pretty good.  What the hell happened?  My writing skills diminished significantly.  And where did 9 years go since I was a sophomore in college, writing JN articles instead of trying to get laid?  Wtf is happening.

Ah... err... ah... actually, you pretty much covered off on all the wisecracks, except hugging. 

That was one of the saddest things I've ever read.  The hope we had. The G*d Dammed Hope!!!!!! 

aggghhhhh

When 3 of the top 5 elements which that hope was built on were DRob, Penny, and the Jets 2005 draft, I'm not sure where exactly that hope came from.

80, care to enlighten us?

Archived