The Official Draft Thread (1st Round)

Maxman

Butt fumble, and running out of the end zone is your best reason? 

Geno Smith played all 16 games and no matter what you say about him the kid won 8 games on a team predicted to win 2 to 4 games. Geno would have won more games with Buffalo's WR targets. Of course that doesn't count because like the person wearing the pessimistic glasses they won't see the obvious. The Jets had the worst targets in the entire league and a starting rookie QB, thats not even debatable. E.J. Manuel needs to be able to stay on the field before you even compare him to Geno. 

I dont wanna hear it. 

Stopped reading right here. Cause you know Geno obviously won us those 8 games with his 11 completions in one of them right? Hall of famer, right their.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta give the author credit here. He at least waited until the second sentence to list "Seahawks" as one of Pryor's strengths.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="JetNation" data-cid="2486909" data-time="1399605236"><p><p>With the 18 overall pick, in the 2014 NFL draft, the New York Jets selected Calvin Pryor, a safety out of Louisville.

Here is a scouting report of Pryor via the Star-Ledger:Pryor recorded 75 tackles, had three interceptions, and two forced fumbles. The Jets had a need in the secondary since Antonio Cromartie is in Arizona and Dawan Landry is not considered a long term solution at safety for the Jets.Tell us what you think about USATSI_6579552_158813650_lowres-1024x681<p>

Teddy had his bad moments as well. Again, besides the obvious...extremely similar prospects.

hmm... Why? Cause they are both black, tall and skinny?

To me, this is why it's always better to have a QB that flames out quickly then sticks around playing sucky mediocre at best football like pukington. If Geno's last few games have inspired false hope, we could end up kicking ourselves for passing on the QB's.

hmm... Why? Cause they are both black, tall and skinny?

To me, this is why it's always better to have a QB that flames out quickly then sticks around playing sucky mediocre at best football like pukington. If Geno's last few games have inspired false hope, we could end up kicking ourselves for passing on the QB's.

Manziel maybe...Teddy? Come on...

yes this is true but you also have to look at teams that have destroyed QB's due to lack of talent and coaching we are certainly at the top of that list ...At least under Idzik we're doing something with the offensive talent.

Yes, adding over rated #2 WR's and a RB with too much mileage under his belt..

f we like Lee, I really hope we are making a move up for him in rd 2

Manziel maybe...Teddy? Come on...

I am intrigued by Manziel, I think Teddy is way better a prospect then Geno.. The QB I'd want is probably Garappolo though, which we can't pic because we need to ad playmakers for the stiffs we have at QB today.

I am intrigued by Manziel, I think Teddy is way better a prospect then Geno.. The QB I'd want is probably Garappolo though, which we can't pic because we need to ad playmakers for the stiffs we have at QB today.

Garoppolo was one of our 3 QB visits, btw. I keep bringing it up, but the Jets really lean heavily on taking people they had in for visits, esp. with the first rounders, which also coincides with them passing on Manziel and Bridgewater who they didn't bring in. I think Lee is definitely gone by when we pick and realistically he'd be the only guy left I can see them trading up to get if they decide to do that.

Garoppolo was one of our 3 QB visits, btw. I keep bringing it up, but the Jets really lean heavily on taking people they had in for visits, esp. with the first rounders, which also coincides with them passing on Manziel and Bridgewater who they didn't bring in. I think Lee is definitely gone by when we pick and realistically he'd be the only guy left I can see them trading up to get if they decide to do that.

Is that a surprise? I really don't know but it would seem to me that most teams would be taking a guy in rd 1 / 2 who came in for a visit

Is that a surprise? I really don't know but it would seem to me that most teams would be taking a guy in rd 1 / 2 who came in for a visit

It probably is. I'm just bringing it up because people were clamoring for Manziel when it was highly unlikely that they're going to pick a guy like that without doing all due diligence. Only reason they might have is because Woody Johnson can't resist grabbing headlines.

It probably is. I'm just bringing it up because people were clamoring for Manziel when it was highly unlikely that they're going to pick a guy like that without doing all due diligence. Only reason they might have is because Woody Johnson can't resist grabbing headlines.

people will always clamor for that kind of dynamic offensive talent, I am not sure his game translates

Geno with Kerley was not a stiff. Garapolo is a backup. If they want to use a 4th on Boyd id be fine with that...at least he's got some upside. But overall this QB class was pretty poor, as usual.

Yes, adding over rated #2 WR's and a RB with too much mileage under his belt..

f we like Lee, I really hope we are making a move up for him in rd 2

yeah you could make that argument as well but at least he's not 34 or 38 years old.

Either way what pisses me off about the last few months ... We sign Vick because someone realizes that Geno may very well suck but we let Manzeil who everyone thought would be gone get away from us and for the sake of argument for those who think teddy Bridgewater is good we let him slip by as well. We all know how Important the QB is no matter what offense you run so as of right now we are gambling on a guy that sh*t the bed Sanchez style with a ridiculous amount of turnovers and our remedy is the Dog killer who has a ridiculous amount of turnovers and Injury problems.

The only thing I can see at this stage is the Jets Get a WR in round 2 then set their eights on Garappolo who has all the tools and very solid mechanics main thing is he has one of the quickest releases I've ever seen so with that being said he wont have to be re invented from the very basic's of the position like Geno Smith who has big mechanics issues.

I don't like that move for the bills organization... Which means I love it. Dumb organization making dumb moves.

Couldn't disagree more. We got the best offensive player in the draft and the 2nd best player behind Clowney. Couldn't be happier. 

yeah you could make that argument as well but at least he's not 34 or 38 years old.

Either way what pisses me off about the last few months ... We sign Vick because someone realizes that Geno may very well suck but we let Manzeil who everyone thought would be gone get away from us and for the sake of argument for those who think teddy Bridgewater is good we let him slip by as well. We all know how Important the QB is no matter what offense you run so as of right now we are gambling on a guy that sh*t the bed Sanchez style with a ridiculous amount of turnovers and our remedy is the Dog killer who has a ridiculous amount of turnovers and Injury problems.

The only thing I can see at this stage is the Jets Get a WR in round 2 then set their eights on Garappolo who has all the tools and very solid mechanics main thing is he has one of the quickest releases I've ever seen so with that being said he wont have to be re invented from the very basic's of the position like Geno Smith who has big mechanics issues.

Both those guys have a lot of question marks themselves, as many -if not more- than Geno, that's why they were still available when the Jets picked. Spending a first rounder on a questionable QB when you already have a young, comparable QB in the fold isn't the best use of resources, IMHO. There was just no way the Jets were taking a QB in the first round this year, obviously.

They're going to give Geno every chance to sink or swim this year. They'll weaponize him over the next few rounds. If he swims, great! If he doesn't, they'll be all in for a QB next year. Hopefully with better prospects available.

Stopped reading right here. Cause you know Geno obviously won us those 8 games with his 11 completions in one of them right? Hall of famer, right their.

You stopped reading right there because it's easier for me to say that geno manned an 8 win team than you defending that a qb who missed almost half the season is better than geno.  it's cool, one is the truth and the other is just a reach. 

You stopped reading right there because it's easier for me to say that geno manned an 8 win team than you defending that a qb who missed almost half the season is better than geno.  it's cool, one is the truth and the other is just a reach. 

I stopped reading right their cause it's the same argument you used for Sanchize when I was telling you he sucked. But, but, but he got us to the AFC championship game twice! Sound familiar.

Both those guys have a lot of question marks themselves, as many -if not more- than Geno, that's why they were still available when the Jets picked. Spending a first rounder on a questionable QB when you already have a young, comparable QB in the fold isn't the best use of resources, IMHO. There was just no way the Jets were taking a QB in the first round this year, obviously.

They're going to give Geno every chance to sink or swim this year. They'll weaponize him over the next few rounds. If he swims, great! If he doesn't, they'll be all in for a QB next year. Hopefully with better prospects available.

Completely wrong. This was a way deeper draft class then what Geno was in, and they still went in the first round. Something that Geno didn't go in, in probably one of the weakest draft classes in a while. Also, Teddy came out of a pro system, the fact that people are comparing them and saying that Geno is basically the same as Teddy was coming out of college shows me that people aren't watching them play. Geno was nothing like Teddy coming out of college. Geno struggled against the blitz, locked on to receivers, had horrendous footwork, and also had slow eyes. Meanwhile Teddy has really good footwork, came out of a pro system, doesn't lock on to receivers, and has been know to use his eyes to manipulate safeties. The reason why Teddy fell is because of physical concerns and his crap pro day, which are honestly overblown cause his arm is actually pretty good, not a rocket by any measure but it can make nfl throws. 

Completely wrong. This was a way deeper draft class then what Geno was in, and they still went in the first round. Something that Geno didn't go in, in probably one of the weakest draft classes in a while. Also, Teddy came out of a pro system, the fact that people are comparing them and saying that Geno is basically the same as Teddy was coming out of college shows me that people aren't watching them play. Geno was nothing like Teddy coming out of college. Geno struggled against the blitz, locked on to receivers, had horrendous footwork, and also had slow eyes. Meanwhile Teddy has really good footwork, came out of a pro system, doesn't lock on to receivers, and has been know to use his eyes to manipulate safeties. The reason why Teddy fell is because of physical concerns and his crap pro day, which are honestly overblown cause his arm is actually pretty good, not a rocket by any measure but it can make nfl throws.

I'm not comparing these guys to Geno the prospect, I'm comparing them to Geno the second year veteran. A guy who not only played in a pro-style offense, but actually played in a professional offense (if you can call the receivers he had last year pros). None of the QBs coming out were clear-cut improvements over that Geno Smith.

I'm not gonna lie. I would've been kinda nervously stoked if they pulled the trigger on Johnny Football. I don't really know what to make of him, but I do know it would've been exciting. Bridgewater, not so much. Those physical concerns are very real. Flubbing a pro day is a major red flag. That should be a well-oiled fluff piece, like it was for every other QB prospect. His hands aren't gonna get any bigger, and a lot of his troubles look like they're related to the fact that he's having trouble adjusting to a pro-sized football. Could lead to a lot of fumbles and passes slipping out of his hand.

Bottom line, it's pretty clear that it was their intention all along to give Geno this year to prove himself. I think it's the right call. If he falters, then they shouldn't hesitate to be serious players in the QB market next year.

I'm not comparing these guys to Geno the prospect, I'm comparing them to Geno the second year veteran. A guy who not only played in a pro-style offense, but actually played in a professional offense (if you can call the receivers he had last year pros). None of the QBs coming out were clear-cut improvements over that Geno Smith.

I'm not gonna lie. I would've been kinda nervously stoked if they pulled the trigger on Johnny Football. I don't really know what to make of him, but I do know it would've been exciting. Bridgewater, not so much. Those physical concerns are very real. Flubbing a pro day is a major red flag. That should be a well-oiled fluff piece, like it was for every other QB prospect. His hands aren't gonna get any bigger, and a lot of his troubles look like they're related to the fact that he's having trouble adjusting to a pro-sized football. Could lead to a lot of fumbles and passes slipping out of his hand.

Bottom line, it's pretty clear that it was their intention all along to give Geno this year to prove himself. I think it's the right call. If he falters, then they shouldn't hesitate to be serious players in the QB market next year.

I'm pretty sure Geno has small hands to, and even then hand size hardly matters.What matters is game tape, not what the kid looks like in shorts, and the fact of the matter is Bridgewater looked like the best, most pro-ready qb out of all the qbs in this draft based off his tape. And even with Geno's playing time last year, he still didn't fix his major concerns, that being locking on to receivers and having slow eyes. Something that Teddy Bridgewater doesn't have.

I stopped reading right their cause it's the same argument you used for Sanchize when I was telling you he sucked. But, but, but he got us to the AFC championship game twice! Sound familiar.

And in both cases the argument was relevant, even more so in Geno's case given that he had the worst weapons in the league. You're trying to criticize a rookie with no weapons that ended the season 8-8 and say that another rookie who couldn't stay on the field to even use his better targets is better though his team ended up being 6-10. 

You no longer reading only lets me know that you couldn't think of anything to convince me otherwise because everything you're saying is just as much an opinion as my point of view. It isn't a fact that Manuel is better, its not even a fact that he'll be the bills QB next year....and thats because unlike Geno, he's had weapons to work with, he hasn't produced much on the field and the other half he's injured. 

Rating wise, the only QB better than Geno in December was Peyton Manning, thats as solid as Sanchez going to back to back afccg's with "talent around him". 

You stopped reading a long time ago, I know. 

And in both cases the argument was relevant, even more so in Geno's case given that he had the worst weapons in the league. You're trying to criticize a rookie with no weapons that ended the season 8-8 and say that another rookie who couldn't stay on the field to even use his better targets is better though his team ended up being 6-10. 

You no longer reading only lets me know that you couldn't think of anything to convince me otherwise because everything you're saying is just as much an opinion as my point of view. It isn't a fact that Manuel is better, its not even a fact that he'll be the bills QB next year....and thats because unlike Geno, he's had weapons to work with, he hasn't produced much on the field and the other half he's injured. 

Rating wise, the only QB better than Geno in December was Peyton Manning, thats as solid as Sanchez going to back to back afccg's with "talent around him". 

You stopped reading a long time ago, I know. 

Lol'd hard. And Geno's guaranteed to be our qb next year. Lol, man get off Geno's dick dude. He sucks, plain and simple. Glennon and Manuel were better than him. Glennon looks like the only qb who will make it in this league. I also stated why Geno sucks dick in my posts that you didn't bother to read either, something about locking onto receivers and slow eyes, along with his dumbass decisions that are Sanchez eerie like.

Lol'd hard. And Geno's guaranteed to be our qb next year. Lol, man get off Geno's dick dude. He sucks, plain and simple. Glennon and Manuel were better than him. Glennon looks like the only qb who will make it in this league. I also stated why Geno sucks dick in my posts that you didn't bother to read either, something about locking onto receivers and slow eyes, along with his dumbass decisions that are Sanchez eerie like.

Didn't read after lol'd hard. 

Archived