The Official Draft Thread (1st Round)

Maxman

Just checked the roster of the superbowl champs and I see the following WRs.  I think it proves you can win with a great D and mediocre O.

89 Baldwin, Doug WR 5-10 189 25 4 Stanford 88 Bates, Phil WR 6-1 220 24 3 Ohio 14 Clark, Arceto WR 5-10 180 24 2 Mississippi State 11 Harvin, Percy WR 5-11 184 25 6 Florida 15 Kearse, Jermaine WR 6-1 209 24 3 Washington 83 Lockette, Ricardo WR 6-2 211 27 4 Fort Valley State 13 Matthews, Chris WR 6-5 218 24 1 Kentucky 16 Price, Taylor WR 6-1 195 26 5 Ohio U. 18 Rice, Sidney WR 6-4 202 27 8 South Carolina 19 Walters, Bryan WR 6-0 190 26 5 Cornell

I think the Superbowl score proved that.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you know what his personality is? Bills weren't that disciplined either. 

He wasn't the head coach of the Bills.

Everything I've both read about him and heard from coaches that know him describe him as an "old school" coach, much more "no nonsense" than Ryan. If you watched Hard Knocks, you saw that come across in a number of episodes. 

More importantly, I've also met Pettine 3 times at various coaching clinics where he was give lectures and actually got the opportunity to speak with him personally for about 45 minutes after one of the sessions.

My impression was very much "old school"... more Parcells than Ryan.

Now whether he has some of the other qualities to go with the personality that translates to being a good head coach remains to be seen.

But it would not surprise me is all I'm saying.

I think the jets are looking more like murray in the 4th on the QB menu

Fine with me. Murray's a decent QB prospect as late round QB prospects go, a good gamble to take.

I can't believe this is a ******* three day process. What a trash league, who could possibly be watching this tomorrow? 

the hawks took a penatly in the SB to intimidate the mules.  I think it was chancellor.  it is still part of the game

You are still allowed to hit. Interior rush + hawks in the secondary = run the ball with a lead.

Glad someone else saw it was that, though the call probably would depend on the script that day. 

Nobody on the Jets hits like that. 

David Harris did in his first game vs. Texans. I haven't seen him do it since though.

Fine with me. Murray's a decent QB prospect as late round QB prospects go, a good gamble to take.

I can't believe this is a ******* three day process. What a trash league, who could possibly be watching this tomorrow? 

I can't believe I stayed up this late.  I can't belive I watched the red carpet crap. 

You are still allowed to hit. Interior rush + hawks in the secondary = run the ball with a lead.

that's very key.  morningwood is a very agressive playcaller but dialed it waaaaaay back with the talent he had last year. 

morningwood said he really needed a screen back, and idzik got him CJ2K.  now get a fast guy to take the top off of the defense, and the jets are coming together with that philosophy

Can't aegue with the Sanchez thing. But that doesn't justify the D monopolizing the top pick.

I'd be more pissed if the team was reaching for a player on offense just for the sake of taking a player on offense.

The #1 safety - one who can both cover and hit - isn't something we necessarily can just get later. The draft is a few rounds deep at WR. Or should we have reached for a TE at 18 just because he's on offense?

Early in the draft in particular, I like the idea of getting the best player you can get your hands on. Of course that's all based on what your scouts tell you. So if your scouts tell you Stephen Hill, Mark Sanchez, Vladimir Ducasse, Kyle Wilson... you get the drift.

I have little doubt Idzik was trying to see what he could get for trading down (hence taking all 10 minutes). In the absence of getting good value for it, I guess they just felt Pryor was too good to pass up on. Hope it was the right move. If it was, the team just got a lot better. Plus we still have a 2nd, 3rd, and three 4th rounders in which to take a WR or TE or both.

I can't believe I stayed up this late.  I can't belive I watched the red carpet crap. 

that's very key.  morningwood is a very agressive playcaller but dialed it waaaaaay back with the talent he had last year. 

morningwood said he really needed a screen back, and idzik got him CJ2K.  now get a fast guy to take the top off of the defense, and the jets are coming together with that philosophy

We need an elite QB! Elite QB's come around once every 5 years if that. There were none in this draft, there were none in the last draft. There was no point in picking Teddy in round 1. It's a passing league for teams who can throw successfully every week. That's not going to be us. The two best teams in football win this way too.

And ha- a run on safetys...we got the first one.

Archived