Rex is horrendous

jgb

Not sure if it's an issue of throwing more, but it's part of it. Ryan has been screaming about ground and pound since he got the job. Which reflects how offhanded and thoughtless he really is about offense.Ultimately the message to the offense is not go out there and make it happen, it's don't eff up or you'll be sorry.And as to who the GM is or is not, the owners LOVES Rex. Which means personnel decisions reflect making the HV and the woner happy. We don't know how many of those dercisions on the draft and free agency limit the choices any GM here would make, how Ryan limits the choices, what is precluded. This very day we have posts about guys the Pats cut on defense and potential corners. We may need those guys, but why is it the defense gets what ever it needs, the offense gets the odd Decker and scraps? Simply what front office/scout/personnel guy is going to buck the HC who has had the ear of the owner?Understandable the HC gets input, but seems he has bent everyone to his thoughts. Would suggest you read the 2011 book; basically Pettine got himself demoted and isolated in large part because he questioned the value of having Rick Weeks (Rex's good pal from college) around when he really contributed nothing of value.Again we're about to waste a season on this dope because Robert Wood Johnson III needs a good buddy. And I stand by the pussy thing; this team is scared sheetless to pass. May be with the crap it has and does sport at QB, it's understandable. But there isn't much guesswork for your opponent when it's run, run, 3rd and long pass. And that would be the same no matter who was the QB. What sane free agent QB would sign here except for the cash.

You're confusing bad acquisitions on offense with ignoring the offense.

Also I'm unmoved by the continuing conspiracy theory. The fact is Rex is the head coach not the gm. And it's been that way since he got here. When he is permitted to make a pick it's news, not the norm. The rest is inside your head.

They spent draft picks and money on receivers. Edwards cost 2 draft picks and millions. Holmes cost a draft pick and even more millions. Then they used a 2nd round pick on a WR. In between that they also drafted Kerley. Oh yeah, and huge offense $ went to Sanchez. 5 draft picks went to drafting Sanchez and Greene. They re-upped Ferguson and Mangold to gargantuan contracts, and then used a 2nd rounder on an offensive lineman. All of this is in Rex's first 4 years here, pre-Idzik. In the offseason after making an AFCCG the Jets were prohibited from adding more UFAs than they lost (in terms of $) so it was then impossible to pick up some nameless, phantom, great, available WR you feel they passed up on.

To know all this and then surmise that the offensive side of the ball was "ignored" is beyond ludicrous.

You're simply wrong. The team invested heavily in the offense. The problem is they invested poorly. Very poorly in many of not most cases.

And if Rex got everything / anything he wanted for the defense, we'd still have the elephant in any room of Jets contact discussions, Darrelle Revis.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also I'm unmoved by the continuing conspiracy theory. The fact is Rex is the head coach not the gm. And it's been that way since he got here. When he is permitted to make a pick it's news, not the norm. The rest is inside your head.

They spent draft picks and money on receivers. Edwards cost 2 draft picks and millions. Holmes cost a draft pick and even more millions. Then they used a 2nd round pick on a WR. In between that they also drafted Kerley. Oh yeah, and huge offense $ went to Sanchez. 5 draft picks went to drafting Sanchez and Greene. They re-upped Ferguson and Mangold to gargantuan contracts, and then used a 2nd rounder on an offensive lineman. All of this is in Rex's first 4 years here, pre-Idzik. In the offseason after making an AFCCG the Jets were prohibited from adding more UFAs than they lost (in terms of $) so it was then impossible to pick up some nameless, phantom, great, available WR you feel they passed up on.

To know all this and then surmise that the offensive side of the ball was "ignored" is beyond ludicrous.

You're simply wrong. The team invested heavily in the offense. The problem is they invested poorly. Very poorly in many of not most cases.

And if Rex got everything / anything he wanted for the defense, we'd still have the elephant in any room of Jets contact discussions, Darrelle Revis.

We haven't had an NFL quality QB since Favre got hurt.That's a month and the 5 years plus Rex has been here. Why is this not job 1? And ask yourself when Culter, Manning and Brees approached free agency/possible trades the Jets were never even discussed.

Would wager some minor coin we're going to rue passing on Manziel to take a ....safety?

We haven't had an NFL quality QB since Favre got hurt.That's a month and the 5 years plus Rex has been here. Why is this not job 1? And ask yourself when Culter, Manning and Brees approached free agency/possible trades the Jets were never even discussed.Would wager some minor coin we're going to rue passing on Manziel to take a ....safety?

Me too. Swing for a franchise qb every year until you get one.

It really is.  This whole Rex doesnt care and has ignored the offense and wants to win 7-6 is really the most ridiculous false agenda on the board besides the this whole, hes "horrendous" business.

The first pick in the Ryan era was a QB.  They swung and missed.  Most guys lose their jobs if that happens but Rex found a way to win despite his QB.  He did it with superior coaching, a solid running game and great defense.  The guy went on the road and beat the best QBs in the biz and some of the some so called great Head Coaches in the league on their turf with Mark ******* Sanchez.  He took a Mark ******* Sanchez led team to the brink, twice. And then he almost took Geno ******* Smith to the playoffs.   

He's able to do this because he's great coach.  If their investments happened to pay off, it would be a completely different tune.  Like it was back in 2010 when Rex was a God around here.  Unfortunately, they havent and the offense stinks.

The true shame is that the 2010 offense looked like it had a future.  It was good, not great.  Sanchez limited his mistakes.  2nd best run game in the league.  The fly boys were a solid trio (Holmes, Edwards, Cotch).  Keller was a decent option.  OL was solid.  LT was a great safety valve and Greene looked to have a future valuable role.  Think they were like 13th in scoring, 10th in yards and I want to say one of the most effecient RedZone offenses in the league.  What happened from there is the real crime.  And I think the guy responsible got fired for it but I'm reasonable and know Rex shares some blame.  Though at the end of the day, none of it mattered because well, Sanchez sucks.  Hopefully Geno doesnt.  Rex definitely doesnt.  And thats really all there is to it.

It really is.  This whole Rex doesnt care and has ignored the offense and wants to win 7-6 is really the most ridiculous false agenda on the board besides the this whole, hes "horrendous" business.

The first pick in the Ryan era was a QB.  They swung and missed.  Most guys lose their jobs if that happens but Rex found a way to win despite his QB.  He did it with superior coaching, a solid running game and great defense.  The guy went on the road and beat the best QBs in the biz and some of the some so called great Head Coaches in the league on their turf with Mark ******* Sanchez.  He took a Mark ******* Sanchez led team to the brink, twice. And then he almost took Geno ******* Smith to the playoffs.   

He's able to do this because he's great coach.  If their investments happened to pay off, it would be a completely different tune.  Like it was back in 2010 when Rex was a God around here.  Unfortunately, they havent and the offense stinks.

The true shame is that the 2010 offense looked like it had a future.  It was good, not great.  Sanchez limited his mistakes.  2nd best run game in the league.  The fly boys were a solid trio (Holmes, Edwards, Cotch).  Keller was a decent option.  OL was solid.  LT was a great safety valve and Greene looked to have a future valuable role.  Think they were like 13th in scoring, 10th in yards and I want to say one of the most effecient RedZone offenses in the league.  What happened from there is the real crime.  And I think the guy responsible got fired for it but I'm reasonable and know Rex shares some blame.  Though at the end of the day, none of it mattered because well, Sanchez sucks.  Hopefully Geno doesnt.  Rex definitely doesnt.  And thats really all there is to it.

it is amazing rex took those teams to two AFC championship games. part of the thing here is that if we just had an average QB that team would've gone to the SB. that is why i am pushing so hard for vick. geno is too green but vick can do just enough hopefully to get this team back to the playoffs. part of my view on vick is that i do not think the future franchise qb of the jets is currently on the roster. so let's roll with the best short term solution. for those of you who think geno is the guy--or at least are not convinced that he is not--i understand the opposite view.

it is amazing rex took those teams to two AFC championship games. part of the thing here is that if we just had an average QB that team would've gone to the SB. that is why i am pushing so hard for vick. geno is too green but vick can do just enough hopefully to get this team back to the playoffs. part of my view on vick is that i do not think the future franchise qb of the jets is currently on the roster. so let's roll with the best short term solution. for those of you who think geno is the guy--or at least are not convinced that he is not--i understand the opposite view.

There's a 3rd factor I think that is left out of this argument.  I don't think the D is as good as it was in 2009 and 2010.  So, if you're actually thinking Super Bowl this year, then we're going to need a lot more than just average QB play.

I think we're invested in Geno's growth, and should see it play out.  If the team looks good enough to win with the exception of Geno, well Vick is on the roster and can come in at any time.  But honestly, I'd rather just let Geno implode if that's what happens and actually be in the position to draft a real QB, not some bobble head doll who can run around in circles and throw off of his back foot.

There's a 3rd factor I think that is left out of this argument.  I don't think the D is as good as it was in 2009 and 2010.  So, if you're actually thinking Super Bowl this year, then we're going to need a lot more than just average QB play.

I think we're invested in Geno's growth, and should see it play out.  If the team looks good enough to win with the exception of Geno, well Vick is on the roster and can come in at any time.  But honestly, I'd rather just let Geno implode if that's what happens and actually be in the position to draft a real QB, not some bobble head doll who can run around in circles and throw off of his back foot.

oh i'm talking sneaking into playoffs, not superbowl. and i believe 100% vick puts us in a better position to do that than geno.

Going for 28th to 29th in PPG bespeaks not giving an eff about the offense.

Going for 28th to 29th in PPG bespeaks not giving an eff about the offense.

Its pointless arguing this with you. 

You hate Rex and you're going to stomp your feet and beat your chest with the same meaningless rhetoric over and over again despite ample proof you're full of sh*t.

Peyton didn't wanna play for the 17th best coach in the league? :goes back and reevaluates ranking system:

I know you just play everything for the punchline, but when you go to the trouble of replying with a non-gif it deserves comment.  17th best coach is nothing to be proud of, but is it really "horrendous"?  

I know you just play everything for the punchline, but when you go to the trouble of replying with a non-gif it deserves comment. 17th best coach is nothing to be proud of, but is it really "horrendous"?

No. But when the 17th best coach in the league has a Mark Sanchez tattoo, I do think hyperbole is certainly in order.

I think it's remarkable that the same message board that pretty much unanimously agrees that Bill Belichick would be mediocre without Tom Brady/cheating takes issue with anyone who suggests that Rex Ryan could be a good coach in spite of his relative success with awful QB's. 

Yeah, I get that Rex has no Super Bowl, conference title, or division titles in his bedroom at this moment.  Which means he's not an elite coach.  But clearly John Idzik sees him as far more of an asset than "horrendous". 

In Idzik I trust.  Herego, I trust in Rex.

We haven't had an NFL quality QB since Favre got hurt.That's a month and the 5 years plus Rex has been here. Why is this not job 1? And ask yourself when Culter, Manning and Brees approached free agency/possible trades the Jets were never even discussed.

Would wager some minor coin we're going to rue passing on Manziel to take a ....safety?

What are you even talking about? Year 1 they drafted Sanchez, and gave up a lot to get him.  So despite the poor selection they were hardly ignoring the position. Then presumably you're talking about 4 years later with these other three.

Peyton Manning was never going to come to the Jets to compete for headlines with his little brother.  We did pursue him quite seriously, which was at least part of the reason for the idiotic makeup sex extension for Sanchez. But not only did he not want to share or compete for headlines & all the distractions associated with being in the same city as Eli; he also clearly wanted nothing to do with any major media hub like NYC. He's not the kind of player who needs the city to get his face on every other NFL or Papa John's commercial. We went after him and he wanted no part of the Jets. 

Drew Brees was never on the trading block and was never available.  Not for us, not for anyone, so I have no idea where this comes from.  He was an exclusive-rights free agent, which means you need the Saints' permission just to talk to him.  They didn't grant this permission to anyone and wouldn't, since he's the best player the Saints have ever had and he was still very much in his prime.

Jay Cutler was never on the trading block, for all the ultimately-baseless rumors borne out of a good half-season from McCown.  Chicago wanted to keep him, not trade him, which is why they have him such an enormous contract.  The only way they would have moved Cutler is if they couldn't come to an agreement on a new contract with him (but of course they did re-sign him).

So your complaint is what? That we didn't get 3 veteran QBs who were not available to us? lol. Or perhaps it's his fault for not drafting Manziel with the compensatory 6th rounder Idzik gave him to use for his own selection (and BTW he chose a QB with his only pick).

This is what I mean about people who work things up in their heads and hold it against our head coach (not even the GM; the coach) for not getting players that were not available to him. Combine that with the tinfoil hat level stuff that Rex was really Tannenbaum's de facto boss, that this somehow is continuing under Idzik, and you're getting why I find some of the criticism laughable.  

Ryan has real faults as a head coach (as all head coaches have).  He has more than some and less than others, and also has some positive attributes that many/most others do not have. But the lengths people will go to absolve any coach other than Ryan for their faults is absurd. Not to mention your obsession with passing first, passing second, passing always. This, in the absence of a viable option at QB, and even in the face of the current NFL champions also being the champions of hardly ever throwing the football.  When Rex does it, with a terrible QB, it's stupid.  When Carroll does the same thing, despite an infinitely-better QB, it's shrewd coaching from a guy who "gets it" somehow.

Its pointless arguing this with you. 

You hate Rex and you're going to stomp your feet and beat your chest with the same meaningless rhetoric over and over again despite ample proof you're full of sh*t.

DON'T CONFUSE ME WITH FACTS! HOW MANY TEAMS ARE THERE ANYWAY? 

I agree with most of this, except I don't think Ryan is a GREAT coach. I think he's decent enough to win it all with competent coaching and players on offense. Not great; competent. I think they have that on offense, with the obvious exception of the question-mark at QB. They could use another receiver, but you could say that about most teams, and some of the OL is less than a sure thing (including Ferguson & Mangold).

I think the repeats of the offensive ranking the past 2 years is intellectual laziness in the face of knowing our inferior personnel (not to mention injuries to our already-limited offensive resources on top of that). It would have some credibility if there was a single competent QB on either roster and even halfway decent/healthy options for Sanchez/Geno to throw to the last 2 years, and THEN the ranking was the same.

But the whole absurdity of any notion that the offense was ignored and sacrificed for the betterment of the defense is equal laziness. 10 of the first 11 picks in the Rex Ryan era were used to draft players on offense. That these were mostly meh or bad players doesn't mean the offense was ignored; it means the Jets - specifically the Jets GM - used those picks poorly.  

What are you even talking about? Year 1 they drafted Sanchez, and gave up a lot to get him.  So despite the poor selection they were hardly ignoring the position. Then presumably you're talking about 4 years later with these other three.

Peyton Manning was never going to come to the Jets to compete for headlines with his little brother.  We did pursue him quite seriously, which was at least part of the reason for the idiotic makeup sex extension for Sanchez. But not only did he not want to share or compete for headlines & all the distractions associated with being in the same city as Eli; he also clearly wanted nothing to do with any major media hub like NYC. He's not the kind of player who needs the city to get his face on every other NFL or Papa John's commercial. We went after him and he wanted no part of the Jets. 

Drew Brees was never on the trading block and was never available to anyone.  Not for us nor anyone, so I have no idea where this comes from.  He was an exclusive-rights free agent, which means you need the Saints' permission just to talk to him.  They didn't grant this permission to anyone and wouldn't, since he's the best player the Saints have ever had and he was still very much in his prime.

Jay Cutler was never on the trading block, for all the ultimately-baseless rumors borne out of a good half-season from McCown.  Chicago wanted to keep him, not trade him, which is why they have him such an enormous contract.  The only way they would have moved Cutler is if they couldn't come to an agreement on a new contract with him (but of course they did re-sign him).

So your complaint is what? That we didn't get 3 veteran QBs who were not available to us? lol. Or perhaps it's his fault for not drafting Manziel with the compensatory 6th rounder Idzik gave him to use for his own selection (and BTW he chose a QB with his only pick).

This is what I mean about people who work things up in their heads and hold it against our head coach (not even the GM; the coach) for not getting players that were not available to him. Combine that with the tinfoil hat level stuff that Rex was really the Tannenbaum's de facto boss, that this somehow is continuing under Idzik, and you're getting why I find some of the criticism laughable.  

Ryan has real faults as a head coach (as all head coaches have).  He has more than some and less than others, and also has some positive attributes that many/most others do not have. But the lengths people will go to absolve any coach other than Ryan for their faults is absurd. Not to mention your obsession with passing first, passing second, passing always. This, in the absence of a viable option at QB, and even in the face of the current NFL champions also being the champions of hardly ever throwing the football.  When Rex does it, with a terrible QB, it's stupid.  When Carroll does the same thing, despite an infinitely-better QB, it's shrewd coaching from a guy who "gets it" somehow.

Great post. The arguments against Rex can be whittled down to turning Sanchez into gold and then not being able to draft or sign a QB. I guess we can pretend that the Sanchez one is valid and that someone like Darrell Bevell or David Shaw could totally turn sh*t QBs to gold because that's totally what they've done (totally), but the second one is just dumb. 

I don't buy that Ryan is the problem here, and no one makes a good enough case in either direction. Right now he's still probably their biggest football asset, the Jets do not have to a doubt that they can make games competitive just with the defense. 

Drew Brees was never on the trading block and was never available to anyone.  Not for us nor anyone, so I have no idea where this comes from.  He was an exclusive-rights free agent, which means you need the Saints' permission just to talk to him.  They didn't grant this permission to anyone and wouldn't, since he's the best player the Saints have ever had and he was still very much in his prime.

This is what I mean about people who work things up in their heads and hold it against our head coach (not even the GM; the coach) for not getting players that were not available to him. Combine that with the tinfoil hat level stuff that Rex was really the Tannenbaum's de facto boss, that this somehow is continuing under Idzik, and you're getting why I find some of the criticism laughable.  

Grant you that none of those guys was on his way here. But Manning was in fact a free agent, Cutler was in fact traded. And Brees was all set to hold out. So there's 3 situations that the Jets were not nearly as serious about as they were with Revis, Assumoaugha, et al. Think a franchise who takes the QB issue seriously makes way more of an effort to get this position better. I'm not seeing it. And again, the Jets took a safety over a 21st century Tarkenton in the draft. He may be a spoiled brat and drunken ahole. So was Namath, Marino, Stabler et al. And we are to believe  such choices have NOTHING to do with who the HC is and his close relationship with the idiot owner.

Right.  

Enjoy waiting for Geno Smith trying to "figure it out". 

Great post. The arguments against Rex can be whittled down to turning Sanchez into gold and then not being able to draft or sign a QB. I guess we can pretend that the Sanchez one is valid and that someone like Darrell Bevell or David Shaw could totally turn sh*t QBs to gold because that's totally what they've done (totally), but the second one is just dumb. 

I don't buy that Ryan is the problem here, and no one makes a good enough case in either direction. Right now he's still probably their biggest football asset, the Jets do not have to a doubt that they can make games competitive just with the defense. 

He's got his good points and his bad points.  I wouldn't hire him to run the offense specifically, but I wouldn't hire Pete Carroll or John Fox to run the offense specifically either. Nor would I hire Sean Payton to run the defense. When paired with good talent and adequate help on the coaching staff, he can get by with good results.  

Watching a slew of bad coaches, quarterbacks, and front offices since the wee age of who gives a sh*t, if there is one thing I've learned it is that if you have to go to extraordinary and long-winded lengths to argue why someone is good, that's a problem.

lol whatever.  I'm responding to each ludicrous criticism, like the offense being wholly ignored, the Jets having a bottom-3 defense every year for 5 years, and that we made no effort to bring in QBs who weren't available to us.  Further, that each of these criticisms falls on the head coach rather than the GM.

If the response is long it's because the mythical list of shortcomings expands so far, even in the absence of any evidence to back it up.  

I don't even love the guy as the head coach, and see that he has obvious shortcomings, but I can also see that the "evidence" of most of the additionally-claimed shortcomings is nothing of the sort.  It's just mud flung onto a wall.  People do things like making up stats and making up woulda-shoulda scenarios (like running a top offense with Mark Sanchez, and only Mark Sanchez, locked in at QB, or crying that we didn't sign Drew Brees a year ago).

He's got his good points and his bad points.  I wouldn't hire him to run the offense specifically, but I wouldn't hire Pete Carroll or John Fox to run the offense specifically either. Nor would I hire Sean Payton to run the defense. When paired with good talent and adequate help on the coaching staff, he can get by with good results.  

lol whatever.  I'm responding to each ludicrous criticism, like the offense being wholly ignored, the Jets having a bottom-3 defense every year for 5 years, and that we made no effort to bring in QBs who weren't available to us.  Further, that each of these criticisms falls on the head coach rather than the GM.

If the response is long it's because the mythical list of shortcomings expands so far, even in the absence of any evidence to back it up.  

I don't even love the guy as the head coach, and see that he has obvious shortcomings, but I can also see that the "evidence" of most of the additionally-claimed shortcomings is nothing of the sort.  It's just mud flung onto a wall.  People do things like making up stats and making up woulda-shoulda scenarios (like running a top offense with Mark Sanchez, and only Mark Sanchez, locked in at QB, or crying that we didn't sign Drew Brees a year ago).

Yeah Rex has his obvious flaws-has his good points and bad points- until we correct that QB position it is not going to matter about the coach.

I agree with most of this, except I don't think Ryan is a GREAT coach. I think he's decent enough to win it all with competent coaching and players on offense. Not great; competent. I think they have that on offense, with the obvious exception of the question-mark at QB. They could use another receiver, but you could say that about most teams, and some of the OL is less than a sure thing (including Ferguson & Mangold).

I think the repeats of the offensive ranking the past 2 years is intellectual laziness in the face of knowing our inferior personnel (not to mention injuries to our already-limited offensive resources on top of that). It would have some credibility if there was a single competent QB on either roster and even halfway decent/healthy options for Sanchez/Geno to throw to the last 2 years, and THEN the ranking was the same.

But the whole absurdity of any notion that the offense was ignored and sacrificed for the betterment of the defense is equal laziness. 10 of the first 11 picks in the Rex Ryan era were used to draft players on offense. That these were mostly meh or bad players doesn't mean the offense was ignored; it means the Jets - specifically the Jets GM - used those picks poorly.  

He's way more than just competent.  His ability to coach D alone makes him more than just competent.  Some of his game plans shutting down the best QB's in the game are incredible, his half time adjustments, his ability to beat superior teams on the road in the playoffs, master motivator, ability to develop and get the most out of his guys, finding street FA's on D and making them legit, the way his former players talk about him, the admiration he gets around the league - those are all signs of a great coach.

Calling him just competent is way under stating his coaching ability.

He's way more than just competent.  His ability to coach D alone makes him more than just competent.  Some of his game plans shutting down the best QB's in the game are incredible, his half time adjustments, his ability to beat superior teams on the road in the playoffs, master motivator, ability to develop and get the most out of his guys, finding street FA's on D and making them legit, the way his former players talk about him, the admiration he gets around the league - those are all signs of a great coach.

Calling him just competent is way under stating his coaching ability.

OK now we are back to being ridiculous again

OK now we are back to being ridiculous again

Why?  He's an elite defensive coach.  Few would argue you that.  He's proven he can motivate and lead teams on deep playoff runs.  Been on the brink twice with one of the worst players in the league at the most important position in all of sports.  Career winnning record, great playoff record.  He's more than competent.  I dont think thats being ridiculous at all.  He's not even a good coach?  Just competent?  Sorry, I dont agree.  He's better than just a competent coach.

Archived