Rex is horrendous

jgb

This is sometime after he got on board with trading a 4th-round pick for him, right?

Based on literally everything Rex has done since the trade for Tebow was made (not showing up for his introductory press conference, not playing him, doing everything he could to avoid putting him in at QB, starting Greg McElroy in Week 17, taking shots at Tebow since he's been gone such as talking about Decker's numbers with Tebow as his QB as if they are the marvel of the ages) I think its pretty safe to assume that Rex was not on board with that move and anything he said in favor of it was towing the party line. 

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on literally everything Rex has done since the trade for Tebow was made (not showing up for his introductory press conference, not playing him, doing everything he could to avoid putting him in at QB, starting Greg McElroy in Week 17, taking shots at Tebow since he's been gone such as talking about Decker's numbers with Tebow as his QB as if they are the marvel of the ages) I think its pretty safe to assume that Rex was not on board with that move and anything he said in favor of it was towing the party line. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=8288993

One of his boldest moves this offseason began taking shape while he sat in an airport with coach Rex Ryan in March. The two were sipping on Ben & Jerry's vanilla milkshakes and preparing to go to North Carolina's pro day -- where they'd see their eventual first-round pick Quinton Coples -- when the wheels starting spinning in Tannenbaum's mind. It was becoming apparent that Peyton Manning was going to Denver and Tebow would be available.

"I turned to Rex and said, `What do you think?" Tannenbaum recalled.

"I thought, `Wow!" Ryan said. "I was kind of shocked about it. I didn't know what it was going to take for us to get him, but I knew that with Mike, we would definitely find out."

The two spoke to owner Woody Johnson and new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, who ran the wildcat offense with Miami and knew Tebow from the Senior Bowl a few years earlier. Tebow to the Jets? Even though they still had Sanchez, and just signed him to an extension?

"We were the only four people on the planet who knew about it," Tannenbaum said. "We felt unanimously that this man could help us win football games. That's why we got him. When the price and the risk are reasonable, you have to be opportunistic in this business."

I'll save everyone the trouble: 

• This proves it was Tannenbaum's idea, Rex just went along with it
  • Rex is too good a guy to throw Tannenbaum under the bus, what a mensch
  • This story was written by the media, who are lying liars that lie about everything with their lies
  • What does "unanimously" even mean, lol

You can make the argument that vacating the position was an improvement on Sanchez.

Dude, this sh*t is all documented so well in Collision Low Crossers. It's pointless debating on how we can interpret the prowess of Rex through everything with Sanchez and the entire 2011 collapse. He was 100% clueless through everything. Couldn't have handled everything any worse. The numbers back all of it up.

In other words, the crux of the problem with this whole thing is that it requires books and math.

• This story was written by the media, who are lying liars that lie about everything with their lies

This is all well and good, but still doesn't say much for the fact that the discussion point was about Rex making a deliberate effort to not play Tebow at QB during the season, regardless of his opinions in March.  Oh right, I forgot that Tanny has been gone long enough that the things that got him fired are now Rex's fault.  My bad.  So are we back to crediting Tanny for successful acquisitions the Jets made during his time as GM, or are all of those still getting credited to Mangini who had been named as the 2006 - 2008 GM sometime in 2011?  It's getting tough to keep track.

I really don't have any interest in defending Rex, as I'm nearly done with the guy, but some of these arguments are really just laughably bad.  There's more effort lately put into blaming Rex for the failures of others than simply using the long list of his own.  It only makes a potentially valid argument look more nonsensical than it actually is.

This is all well and good, but still doesn't say much for the fact that the discussion point was about Rex making a deliberate effort to not play Tebow at QB during the season, regardless of his opinions in March.  Oh right, I forgot that Tanny has been gone long enough that the things that got him fired are now Rex's fault.  My bad.  So are we back to crediting Tanny for successful acquisitions the Jets made during his time as GM, or are all of those still getting credited to Mangini who had been named as the 2006 - 2008 GM sometime in 2011?  It's getting tough to keep track.

I really don't have any interest in defending Rex, as I'm nearly done with the guy, but some of these arguments are really just laughably bad.  There's more effort lately put into blaming Rex for the failures of others than simply using the long list of his own.  It only makes a potentially valid argument look more nonsensical than it actually is.

Rex not playing Tebow didn't get us our 4th back.

Again, spinning the party line. Rex's actions when Tebow was on the team do not match up with the rhetoric. 

JetNation's time to shine.

Again, spinning the party line. Rex's actions when Tebow was on the team do not match up with the rhetoric. 

Amended:

...the crux of the problem with this whole thing is that it requires reading words.

just sad because even the best D in the world is going to break once or twice a game. the guys trying to score are professionals too. the best CB or safety can slip and leave a guy wide open. the offense has to be able to put up 15 points with some regularity. i remember some games where people were mad at the defense for breaking near the end of the game and we lost 10-6 or whatever.

Wrecks Ryan, like his dad, has failed to grasp that his entire tenure. Seattle, the endless constant big point of comparsion, has under Carroll been in the top half to top 3rd of the NFL in PPG. In 2012 and 2013 the Jets were 28th and 29th in PPG. That simply is not going to work no matter how great your defense is. And as you say the best defense is gonna fail a few time every game more so if you leave them on the field all day. Suspect also the Jets PPG allowed is lower than it would be if the offense was merely compentent because the opposing offense doesn't feel compelled to take big risks at all because the Jets cannot score.

I guess Rex's thinking offense is irrelevant is why the team brought in the #1 WR in FA and a great redzone target, a former all-pro running back and good 3rd down back, a 2nd round TE who was a highly touted prospect, and a veteran QB who has won games in this league, all in just this offseason.

Plenty of arguments to be made about Rex, why continuously rehash the dumb ones?

ya, at the Jet Bar a few times we said with way the D played some games, we would have won if all we did was run, safe dump off passes that anyone could throw, then kick a few FGs, maybe get a lucky TD and let D win game, as opposed to Sanchez messing game up.

The WORST move Rex ever made was convincing Tannenbaum to run as fast as he could to hire a guy who just got fired from the even worse than us Dolphins team and hire him as our OC. Weren't there ANY other candidates for that position other than Sporano? I mean the way it was told was they went running for him like he was the second coming of Air Coryell. Talk about being clueless. Rex went from one idiot to an even bigger one and the sad thing was he had no idea WTF was going on with his own team. I mean I'm sure he could tell you what his defensive linemen had for breakfast lunch or dinner on any given night but didn't even know who the receivers were. I better see more or I hope we see something better after this season if he doesn't at least make a serious run for the championship. 

I guess Rex's thinking offense is irrelevant is why the team brought in the #1 WR in FA and a great redzone target, a former all-pro running back and good 3rd down back, a 2nd round TE who was a highly touted prospect, and a veteran QB who has won games in this league, all in just this offseason.

Plenty of arguments to be made about Rex, why continuously rehash the dumb ones?

idzik is buying the groceries but rex is the chef. let's see if he can avoid turning steak into dog food.

idzik is buying the groceries but rex is the chef. let's see if he can avoid turning steak into dog food.

To continue (and abuse) the metaphor, the question remains whether Rex has steak or chuck in Geno Smith.  The side dishes seem to be of reasonable quality now, but the meal will depend, as it usually does, on the main course.  We don't need a ribeye, but we'll need better than Fancy Feast.

To continue (and abuse) the metaphor, the question remains whether Rex has steak or chuck in Geno Smith.  The side dishes seem to be of reasonable quality now, but the meal will depend, as it usually does, on the main course.  We don't need a ribeye, but we'll need better than Fancy Feast.

NBirrOd.jpg

you are correct, sir

Wrecks Ryan, like his dad, has failed to grasp that his entire tenure. Seattle, the endless constant big point of comparsion, has under Carroll been in the top half to top 3rd of the NFL in PPG. In 2012 and 2013 the Jets were 28th and 29th in PPG. That simply is not going to work no matter how great your defense is. And as you say the best defense is gonna fail a few time every game more so if you leave them on the field all day. Suspect also the Jets PPG allowed is lower than it would be if the offense was merely compentent because the opposing offense doesn't feel compelled to take big risks at all because the Jets cannot score.

yup. i'll i'm asking for is mediocrity on the other side of the ball. i think we have all come to understand we will never had a top 10 offense under rex, and judging by the team's entire history, never again.

Since you want to isolate 2 seasons, how was Seattle's offense under Carroll before he lucked into Russell Wilson? #23 in points, #28 in yards. Twice in a row. With recent pro-bowlers brought in at RB, WR, and TE.  Most defensive-minded head coaches need a QB. Well, Carroll certainly did. 

The Jets offense has been from meh to poor with its bad QBs most the past 5 years.  But it went from meh/poor the first 3 seasons to truly lousy the past 2 years when the talent at receiver finally matched (at times even exceeded) the lowly talent at QB.

Or are you isolating the past 2 seasons (fully knowing the Jets talent-barren roster) because it's your opinion that, with Pete Carroll at HC, the 2012 and 2013 Jets would have fielded top 10 offenses? 

Since you want to isolate 2 seasons, how was Seattle's offense under Carroll before he lucked into Russell Wilson? #23 in points, #28 in yards. Twice in a row. With recent pro-bowlers brought in at RB, WR, and TE.  Most defensive-minded head coaches need a QB. Well, Carroll certainly did. 

The Jets offense has been from meh to poor with its bad QBs most the past 5 years.  But it went from meh/poor the first 3 seasons to truly lousy the past 2 years when the talent at receiver finally matched (at times even exceeded) the lowly talent at QB.

Or are you isolating the past 2 seasons (fully knowing the Jets talent-barren roster) because it's your opinion that, with Pete Carroll at HC, the 2012 and 2013 Jets would have fielded top 10 offenses?

Under Ryan offense is always going to be an afterthought other than run the clock by not throwing and not turning it over. His whole attitude is that offense really is less important. It's shaped the Jets drafting and free agent signings under Rex.I'm supposed to jump for joy because Eric Decker is here? Wait until he has 35 ctached mid-November in this disaster of an offense. It's why Ryan had no place for a servicable player like Woodhead but cannot get enough DB and DL guys every year, why the defense gets all the top picks, and why his lack of comfort with the offense means he's scared sheetless to bench a crappy QB. This is nothing new; he is his dad.If the roster is without talent, someone in a black sweater vest has been here a while and had a hand in selecting them.

There is no point to having Ryan here in 2014. There are enough tomato cans (Buffalo and Miani 2X each) that he could plausibly eke out another 7-9 wins with his scared loser defense first phlilsophy.It would be the same fool's gold as 2013, celebrating beating the Fins and Browns in December bum fights like a bunch of screaming girls at a One Direction mall appearance.Wasn't that great? This is T0m's strongest point; he will always do just enough to make things look promising enough to save his own ass. Which really is the truly confounding paradox; for all his BS tough guy bravado Rex Ryan is the biggest pussy in the NFL bar none when his team has the ball.It's one thing to want to run and control the clock, quite another to be scared to throw a pass, nor have a competent passing attack.

In short the Jets are about to waste ANOTHER season with a known failure of a HC. If you aren't mad about that you should be.

When did any sports site not be a homer base? Its always been my belief that homers comprise roughly 85% of any pro sports fan base. Of course we're talking about the Jets here, where questionable coaching decisions, hirings and drafts have been the single most identifiable mark of this franchise over the years.

For those of us who have been Jets fans for far longer than many of you who have stopped wearing huggies as your clothing of choice I do believe we have been cursed since the curse of the Namath guarantee in SBIII. 

For far too many years we have been subjected to idiotic hirings and owners whose egos were only outdone by the poor choices they made in trying to recapture the concept of magic in a bottle. While Rex definately has his shortcomings, I do finally think that we may have made the proper hire in MM and turning over the offense to someone who at least understands that if you can't score points with the players you hire and draft to outplay the opponents defense then you will definately be on the losing end of the scoreboards final results.

Will this years version of the Jets be any better than recent versions? There are some good reasons to believe so, I do think that the offense will show enough improvement  over last year to be competitive in games where they can at least do better than 8-8. Maybe not much better but definately enough to be taken seriously and perhaps have a shot at the playoffs considering just how many of the rest of the AFC will be struggling themselves to try and reach 8-8.

Under Ryan offense is always going to be an afterthought other than run the clock by not throwing and not turning it over. His whole attitude is that offense really is less important. It's shaped the Jets drafting and free agent signings under Rex.I'm supposed to jump for joy because Eric Decker is here? Wait until he has 35 ctached mid-November in this disaster of an offense. It's why Ryan had no place for a servicable player like Woodhead but cannot get enough DB and DL guys every year, why the defense gets all the top picks, and why his lack of comfort with the offense means he's scared sheetless to bench a crappy QB. This is nothing new; he is his dad.If the roster is without talent, someone in a black sweater vest has been here a while and had a hand in selecting them.

There is no point to having Ryan here in 2014. There are enough tomato cans (Buffalo and Miani 2X each) that he could plausibly eke out another 7-9 wins with his scared loser defense first phlilsophy.It would be the same fool's gold as 2013, celebrating beating the Fins and Browns in December bum fights like a bunch of screaming girls at a One Direction mall appearance.Wasn't that great? This is T0m's strongest point; he will always do just enough to make things look promising enough to save his own ass. Which really is the truly confounding paradox; for all his BS tough guy bravado Rex Ryan is the biggest pussy in the NFL bar none when his team has the ball.It's one thing to want to run and control the clock, quite another to be scared to throw a pass, nor have a competent passing attack.

In short the Jets are about to waste ANOTHER season with a known failure of a HC. If you aren't mad about that you should be.

The thing is you're basing your whole opinion on how the offense appeared without a competent QB (and in the past 2 years without a competent QB or a halfway decent group of receivers), and make the massive leap to assume a coach - any coach - employs the identical gameplan with a talented group as with a poor one. 

As for Woodhead, I very much got the idea that Ryan liked Woodhead a lot but his spot was taken by his boss's new draft pick, McKnight.  Besides, over the past 5 years he is 1 of only 2 players on offense I can think of that one can say it sucks we let that one get away, and it's not like either of them starts for anybody (the other being Cotchery, who has done mostly nothing since leaving the Jets).

Also, on the off-chance no one has told you before, Ryan is not and was not the GM.  Not in actuality, and he was not the de facto GM on draft day or throughout free agency.  Not ever.  Though I'm quite sure he was in on the discussion, he did not make the draft picks. Pre-Idzik, the story was that Ryan got 1 draft pick to make per year. That tradition seems to have carried over, as Boyd was "his" pick this year.  One of the other ones that was "his pick" was Conner.  Bust that Conner was (if one even weighs a late round pick heavily enough to use the bust label), you're talking about the only 2 known pure-Ryan picks that were made public. And those 2 out of 2 of them were both players on offense.

As to your big pussy comments, I've seen the offense be maddeningly conservative and I've also seen the opposite under Ryan. You have a limited memory of it because it rarely ended up with good results.  What we were treated to when we didn't take the safe route, disproportionately, was seeing a bunch of incomplete passes (if not outright turnovers) from our crappy QBs.  And that's if Sanchez even got a pass off instead of standing there like a dummy and taking a sack.  This past season, week 2 vs NE comes to mind with opening it up in a close game.  We didn't lose because we never threw it. We lost because we did throw it, and Geno Smith threw picks in the 4th quarter on each of our last 3 possessions of a 3-point ballgame.  

So it is lazy, IMO, to say we should just be throwing it more with no regard for the players are throwing it or his intended targets.  It's the Montgomery Burns strategy of telling Strawberry to hit a home run.  Except we had no Strawberry to be our ringer.  We had Sanchez and a rookie Geno (and your favorite, the great Matt Simms who may not be in the NFL - again - after this summer is over).  What happened the one season they let Sanchez let it fly? Dozens of turnovers and a QB who pissed away a sure playoff spot with his incompetence.  Three turnovers in each of that season's final 3 games, all of them on plays where he dropped back to pass.  A QB like Sanchez does not simply get better by having him throw more passes.  Particularly against decent teams (since that is the main problem), he's outright awful.  All those pick-sixes and fumble-sixes didn't occur on attempted runs.

This desire to fling it all over as the obvious path to the superbowl, despite the lack of talent to do so, also ignores the current superbowl winner.  Everyone is jerking off Pete Carroll right now.  Meanwhile, with a QB 10x better than anything we've had for Ryan's entire tenure, Carroll has Wilson throw the ball less than any other team.  And they were rewarded with a SB victory this past year and came damn close the year before.

I'm just saying that you are speaking someone's strategy with awful, awful QBs (and the past 2 years much of the same as their receiving options), and equating that with what someone's actions would be with a passer with actual NFL talent (or talent with enough experience).  If you think, with generally strong defenses that allows victories despite a low-scoring offense, that another coach would have Mark Sanchez - or a rookie Geno Smith - throwing the ball 600+ times per season to their non-options, you're probably in very small company. 

Also you're looking at all the games we did win by playing it so close to the vest instead of letting Sanchez/Geno snatch defeat from the arms of victory, and are therefore making baseless assumptions that we'd have won those games and more if we were only smart enough to let Sanchez or rookie Smith air it out instead of leaning on a generally-strong running game.  You really think we'd have gotten as far as we did if we had Sanchez throwing the ball more? C'mon. I'm not saying the guy never had a good game, but most of the time, the name of the game (if you wanted to win) was to hide Mark Sanchez and make him as irrelevant as possible and hope the defense can hold the other team to a manageable point total.

I don't think Ryan is some amazing head coach. He clearly isn't, and there are plenty of games I've watched where I've said I've had enough of him.  I do think he's a good defensive coach who I'm fine with as head coach if paired with a good offensive coordinator.  I think he has that trait in common with a lot of head coaches, where they need a good coordinator on the side of the ball that isn't their primary area of expertise.  But looking at the players we've had on the roster at QB and receivers (including RB as a receiving option) that have been here over the 5 years, I doubt there's a coach or coordinator around that would have had this roster as a good or great offense (let alone a consistently good/great one). 

Christ, look at how long my stupid post is.  

"I turned to Rex and said, `What do you think?" Tannenbaum recalled.

"I thought, `Wow!" Ryan said. "I was kind of shocked about it. I didn't know what it was going to take for us to get him, but I knew that with Mike, we would definitely find out."

Anyone who doesn't spend his leisure time reading dictionary's and fapping to Dieters posts interpret this as .. I hope we don't spend too much for the bum?

The thing is you're basing your whole opinion on how the offense appeared without a competent QB (and in the past 2 years without a competent QB or a halfway decent group of receivers), and make the massive leap to assume a coach - any coach - employs the identical gameplan with a talented group as with a poor one. 

As for Woodhead, I very much got the idea that Ryan liked Woodhead a lot but his spot was taken by his boss's new draft pick, McKnight.  Besides, over the past 5 years he is 1 of only 2 players on offense I can think of that one can say it sucks we let that one get away, and it's not like either of them starts for anybody (the other being Cotchery, who has done mostly nothing since leaving the Jets). 

Also, on the off-chance no one has told you before, Ryan is not and was not the GM.  Not in actuality, and he was not the de facto GM on draft day or throughout free agency.  Not ever.  Though I'm quite sure he was in on the discussion, he did not make the draft picks. Pre-Idzik, the story was that Ryan got 1 draft pick to make per year. That tradition seems to have carried over, as Boyd was "his" pick this year.  One of the other ones that was "his pick" was Conner.  Bust that Conner was (if one even weighs a late round pick heavily enough to use the bust label), you're talking about the only 2 known pure-Ryan picks that were made public. And those 2 out of 2 of them were both players on offense.

As to your big pussy comments, I've seen the offense be maddeningly conservative and I've also seen the opposite under Ryan. You have a limited memory of it because it rarely ended up with good results.  What we were treated to when we didn't take the safe route, disproportionately, was seeing a bunch of incomplete passes (if not outright turnovers) from our crappy QBs.  And that's if Sanchez even got a pass off instead of standing there like a dummy and taking a sack.  This past season, week 2 vs NE comes to mind with opening it up in a close game.  We didn't lose because we never threw it. We lost because we did throw it, and Geno Smith threw picks in the 4th quarter on each of our last 3 possessions of a 3-point ballgame.  

So it is lazy, IMO, to say we should just be throwing it more with no regard for the players are throwing it or his intended targets.  It's the Montgomery Burns strategy of telling Strawberry to hit a home run.  Except we had no Strawberry to be our ringer.  We had Sanchez and a rookie Geno (and your favorite, the great Matt Simms who may not be in the NFL - again - after this summer is over).  What happened the one season they let Sanchez let it fly? Dozens of turnovers and a QB who pissed away a sure playoff spot with his incompetence.  Three turnovers in each of that season's final 3 games, all of them on plays where he dropped back to pass.  A QB like Sanchez does not simply get better by having him throw more passes.  Particularly against decent teams (since that is the main problem), he's outright awful.  All those pick-sixes and fumble-sixes didn't occur on attempted runs.

This desire to fling it all over as the obvious path to the superbowl, despite the lack of talent to do so, also ignores the current superbowl winner.  Everyone is jerking off Pete Carroll right now.  Meanwhile, with a QB 10x better than anything we've had for Ryan's entire tenure, Carroll has Wilson throw the ball less than any other team.  And they were rewarded with a SB victory this past year and came damn close the year before.

I'm just saying that you are speaking someone's strategy with awful, awful QBs (and the past 2 years much of the same as their receiving options), and equating that with what someone's actions would be with a passer with actual NFL talent (or talent with enough experience).  If you think, with generally strong defenses that allows victories despite a low-scoring offense, that another coach would have Mark Sanchez - or a rookie Geno Smith - throwing the ball 600+ times per season to their non-options, you're probably in very small company. 

Also you're looking at all the games we did win by playing it so close to the vest instead of letting Sanchez/Geno snatch defeat from the arms of victory, and are therefore making baseless assumptions that we'd have won those games and more if we were only smart enough to let Sanchez or rookie Smith air it out instead of leaning on a generally-strong running game.  You really think we'd have gotten as far as we did if we had Sanchez throwing the ball more? C'mon. I'm not saying the guy never had a good game, but most of the time, the name of the game (if you wanted to win) was to hide Mark Sanchez and make him as irrelevant as possible and hope the defense can hold the other team to a manageable point total.

I don't think Ryan is some amazing head coach. He clearly isn't, and there are plenty of games I've watched where I've said I've had enough of him.  I do think he's a good defensive coach who I'm fine with as head coach if paired with a good offensive coordinator.  I think he has that trait in common with a lot of head coaches, where they need a good coordinator on the side of the ball that isn't their primary area of expertise.  But looking at the players we've had on the roster at QB and receivers (including RB as a receiving option) that have been here over the 5 years, I doubt there's a coach or coordinator around that would have had this roster as a good or great offense (let alone a consistently good/great one). 

Christ, look at how long my stupid post is.

Not sure if it's an issue of throwing more, but it's part of it. Ryan has been screaming about ground and pound since he got the job. Which reflects how offhanded and thoughtless he really is about offense.Ultimately the message to the offense is not go out there and make it happen, it's don't eff up or you'll be sorry.

And as to who the GM is or is not, the owners LOVES Rex. Which means personnel decisions reflect making the HV and the woner happy. We don't know how many of those dercisions on the draft and free agency limit the choices any GM here would make, how Ryan limits the choices, what is precluded. This very day we have posts about guys the Pats cut on defense and potential corners. We may need those guys, but why is it the defense gets what ever it needs, the offense gets the odd Decker and scraps? Simply what front office/scout/personnel guy is going to buck the HC who has had the ear of the owner?Understandable the HC gets input, but seems he has bent everyone to his thoughts. Would suggest you read the 2011 book; basically Pettine got himself demoted and isolated in large part because he questioned the value of having Rick Weeks (Rex's good pal from college) around when he really contributed nothing of value.

Again we're about to waste a season on this dope because Robert Wood Johnson III needs a good buddy. And I stand by the pussy thing; this team is scared sheetless to pass. May be with the crap it has and does sport at QB, it's understandable. But there isn't much guesswork for your opponent when it's run, run, 3rd and long pass. And that would be the same no matter who was the QB. What sane free agent QB would sign here except for the cash.

Tom Shame is the leader of the Anti Rex movement, dumb is the only card he can play

Cute, but you posted an article suggesting Rex was the impetus for Tebow signing and it contained a quote from Rex that was tepid at best. "Wow.. I wonder what Mike will pay to get him"

The burden of proof is on you, not me

Anyone who doesn't spend his leisure time reading dictionary's and fapping to Dieters posts interpret this as .. I hope we don't spend too much for the bum?

Don't even try dragging me into this goddamn train wreck of a thread. I've already got the other one bugging me for remedial excel lessons in order to passably render a station wagon full of O'Doyles going off a cliff.

Archived