What We're NOT Complaining About After Week 1. The Offense!

Villain The Foe

#1. The Receivers: 3 receivers had at least 5 receptions,  4 receivers had at least 4 receptions and 7 receivers had at least 1 catch. There were a total of 4 catches for 20 yards or more (Could have been 5 but Kerley was 1 yd short of a 20 yard completion). Eric Decker is a route running technician. I dont care what anyone says about him being or not being a #1, the guy is the best WR on this team and in the division. Thats good enough for me. 

#2. Geno Smith: There's been much debate on whether Geno should have been graded a B or a C for Sunday's performance. What I can say is that overall his performance was solid. Geno completed 82% of the 28 passes he threw...his highest completion percentage, his highest passer rating (96.6) and tied for his highest completions total (23) as a professional. He completed a pass to 7 different receivers, he had four passes of 20 yards or more which should have been 7 passes if Salas and Cumberland came down with those passes and if the ref didnt call a bullsh_t pass interference on Decker. Outside of stats, Geno went through his reads and had very good pocket awareness avoiding what could have been 3 extra sacks helping out his offensive line while keeping his eyes down the field. 

#3. Brian Winters: Brian Winters maintained his blocks Sunday. For the most part Geno Smith had a very clean pocket and it was because Winters stepped up as a Guard and kept his guy in check. Winters and the O-line protected the passing game but also pushed the the defensive line back on running plays. 

The Offense moved the ball yesterday, getting into the redzone 4 times while scoring on a long play as well (70 yarder). What I really liked is that for a team considered "anemic" at the WR position, the jets were in numerous 4 and 5 receiver sets and looked good. That Salas would-be TD was on a 5 WR set and should have been a 35 yard TD. There was a time when if the Jets were in a 3 WR set it was unusually much. The Jets showed that they have confidence to put on the field 4 and 5 receivers now that we cut Hill (lol) added Salas, Decker and Johnson. Last year we had the worst set of receivers in the league. This year we're functional. As a long time Jets fan I've been so used to having the Jets defense keep the opponents off the board, and though we didnt score a lot yesterday, we surely could have put up 30+ points yesterday, but the way the offense looks gives me the confidence that we will be able to compete with other teams, which will give our defense a great advantage having points to work with. 

Our offense looks competent. Not great, but most definitely not 32nd in the league. 

I'll complain about the 'Vick' plays. 

Didn't it seem surreal to see a first down happen like 3 times in a single drive?

I had no worries about the D being gassed in the 4th quarter because of all the long offensive drives.

Edit:  Yeah the Vick stuff was gimmicky.  

I didn't even discuss the Vick plays because I dont consider gimmick plays "offense". Hopefully Marty gets the message.

#1. The Receivers: 3 receivers had at least 5 receptions,  4 receivers had at least 4 receptions and 7 receivers had at least 1 catch. There were a total of 4 catches for 20 yards or more (Could have been 5 but Kerley was 1 yd short of a 20 yard completion). Eric Decker is a route running technician. I dont care what anyone says about him being or not being a #1, the guy is the best WR on this team and in the division. Thats good enough for me. 

#2. Geno Smith: There's been much debate on whether Geno should have been graded a B or a C for Sunday's performance. What I can say is that overall his performance was solid. Geno completed 82% of the 28 passes he threw...his highest completion percentage, his highest passer rating (96.6) and tied for his highest completions total (23) as a professional. He completed a pass to 7 different receivers, he had four passes of 20 yards or more which should have been 7 passes if Salas and Cumberland came down with those passes and if the ref didnt call a bullsh_t pass interference on Decker. Outside of stats, Geno went through his reads and had very good pocket awareness avoiding what could have been 3 extra sacks helping out his offensive line while keeping his eyes down the field. 

#3. Brian Winters: Brian Winters maintained his blocks Sunday. For the most part Geno Smith had a very clean pocket and it was because Winters stepped up as a Guard and kept his guy in check. Winters and the O-line protected the passing game but also pushed the the defensive line back on running plays. 

The Offense moved the ball yesterday, getting into the redzone 4 times while scoring on a long play as well (70 yarder). What I really liked is that for a team considered "anemic" at the WR position, the jets were in numerous 4 and 5 receiver sets and looked good. That Salas would-be TD was on a 5 WR set and should have been a 35 yard TD. There was a time when if the Jets were in a 3 WR set it was unusually much. The Jets showed that they have confidence to put on the field 4 and 5 receivers now that we cut Hill (lol) added Salas, Decker and Johnson. Last year we had the worst set of receivers in the league. This year we're functional. As a long time Jets fan I've been so used to having the Jets defense keep the opponents off the board, and though we didnt score a lot yesterday, we surely could have put up 30+ points yesterday, but the way the offense looks gives me the confidence that we will be able to compete with other teams, which will give our defense a great advantage having points to work with. 

Our offense looks competent. Not great, but most definitely not 32nd in the league.

I think Geno played with real confidence, not faux confidence like he did last year. I got a kick out of the amazed smile on his face after the INT. The goal line fumble was macho crap, the 4th quarter sack sucked, but I have seen seasoned vets do that too. He had the offense in hand. He looked good in the pocket, footwork greatly improved. The high throw to Cumberland was, according to Simms, caused by Geno's inability to stride with the rush pressing. I buy that. He hit most everybody else on the numbers. I was extremely encouraged. I do not see how they give a guy who rated out near 100, and got killed by penalties and a key drop----a C of any kind.

I think Geno played with real confidence, not faux confidence like he did last year. I got a kick out of the amazed smile on his face after the INT. The goal line fumble was macho crap, the 4th quarter sack sucked, but I have seen seasoned vets do that too. He had the offense in hand. He looked good in the pocket, footwork greatly improved. The high throw to Cumberland was, according to Simms, caused by Geno's inability toe tried with the rush pressing. I buy that. He hit most everybody else on the numbers. I was extremely encouraged. I do not see how they give a guy who rated out near 100, and got killed by penalties and a key drop----a C of any kind.

Wow, you caught that too. When he threw that pick then he smiled in my head I thought "that's a veteran reponse". He wasn't concerned that he threw a pick, or that the crowd would chant for Vick or something. It was a smile as if he knew that he was trying to get over on Woodson and got caught out there. Geno is as cool as the other side of the pillow. How in the world did the Bills pass on this guy I just don't know. But this guy is as even keeled as you can get in a young QB. 

Wow, you caught that too. When he threw that pick then he smiled in my head I thought "that's a veteran reponse". He wasn't concerned that he threw a pick, or that the crowd would chant for Vick or something. It was a smile as if he knew that he was trying to get over on Woodson and got caught out there. Geno is as cool as the other side of the pillow. How in the world did the Bills pass on this guy I just don't know. But this guy is as even keeled as you can get in a young QB.

He had to learn pro offense last year. WVU does not run anything like the pros do.

Good stuff.   I'll add.  9 passing first downs, 10 rushing first downs. 6.2 yards per play.  Geno was passing for 7.9 per and both CJ and Ivory were over 5 per carry.  221 passing, 212 rushing.  That's solid balance and they left some plays on the field.  So they're there for the taking, they just need to capitalize and score more points.  Taking care of the ball will help.

The concerning stat for me was 5-12 on 3rd downs.  That has to improve. 

Good stuff.   I'll add.  9 passing first downs, 10 rushing first downs. 6.2 yards per play.  Geno was passing for 7.9 per and both CJ and Ivory were over 5 per carry.  221 passing, 212 rushing.  That's solid balance and they left some plays on the field.  So they're there for the taking, they just need to capitalize and score more points.  Taking care of the ball will help.

Part of the reason for the 5-12 may have been the penalties.  They were behind in down and distance quite a bit.  Clean up the penalties and hopefully the 3rd down conversion rate will likely go up.

I'll add as well. Geno had a run of 12 consecutive pass completions at one point...also, an all-time high for him.  Speaking of all time highs, Geno's 82% completion percentage is the 3rd highest percentage in NY Jets franchise history. 

I'll add as well. Geno had a run of 12 consecutive pass completions at one point...also, an all-time high for him.  Speaking of all time highs, Geno's 82% completion percentage is the 3rd highest percentage in NY Jets franchise history. 

Think the consecutive completions streak is still ongoing, no?

No real complaints about the offense. A little bit of bad Oakland defense may have helped. Still, about what I had hoped for, for week one. If they can clean up the penalties and geno limit the fumbles, then the jets offense should be OK. At least maintain possession long enough to give the defense a break. Can't wait for week 2. Defense will have its hands full, though.

There's two different kind of picks, there's the ones he threw last year where it was a bad decision or a bad throw and then there's this kind where the defense just makes a play. These kind are going to happen. They happen to every QB out there. There's no doubt he saw Woodson and thought he could sneak it in and Woodson made a play. Loved how he responded.

The fumble...ugh...that play was a mess. Marty was getting to fancy and Geno tried to make something out of a sh*t play. He'll learn from that though.

That's a key number for me. I'd like to see him maintain that in the mid-7's. The great comp% number helped a lot. Compare it to the big-armed Carr's 4.7 ypa, despite connecting on 60% of his passes himself. Geno is off to a good start, no doubt, but he has to start throwing more TDs than ints, too.

For the offense overall, though, there were too many penalties, and Geno did turn it over two times. They were sloppy as a group, and those kinds of mistakes would cost the team the game against a stronger opponent. They have to clean a lot of that up this week.

That's a key number for me. I'd like to see him maintain that in the mid-7's. The great comp% number helped a lot. Compare it to the big-armed Carr's 4.7 ypa, despite connecting on 60% of his passes himself. Geno is off to a good start, no doubt, but he has to start throwing more TDs than ints, too.

For the offense overall, though, there were too many penalties, and Geno did turn it over two times. They were sloppy as a group, and those kinds of mistakes would cost the team the game against a stronger opponent. They have to clean a lot of that up this week.

Agree with all of this. Even if his knee was down on the lost fumble, and it should have been overturned, the fact is he did cough up the ball. That it was a couple hundredths of a second after his knee touched the turf is incidental. And he fumbled another one that he recovered himself.

But I've said about 5x here already, I'd much rather that was the big problem than any number of other issues he had last year, as it's hard to imagine easier issues to correct. They aren't the types that require 1000x repetitions with his QBC or 1000 hours of intense film study.

Slide and the first fumble never happens. Keep the ball in tighter and the 2nd one doesn't (although if I remember, I think the defender just got a hand or helmet in there and popped the ball out; that happens to everyone from time to time). And knowing, as soon as the ball is snapped, that it's 3rd down in what will be a 37 yd FG from that distance, when we have a 6 point lead. This - the constant reminding oneself of the situation before every snap - comes with experience.

Don't know if he would have thrown for another TD or not if Marty hadn't taken the ball out of his throwing hand on that (fumble+recovery) play. Hand it off or give him real throwing opportunities for 3 downs, and if we don't get in then kick a chip shot.  We have all these tall receiving targets (Decker, Nelson, Cumberland, Amaro) and a veteran back who's a good receiver. Really no need for lining up Michael Vick at receiver. Ever.

Don't know if he would have thrown for another TD or not if Marty hadn't taken the ball out of his throwing hand on that (fumble+recovery) play. Hand it off or give him real throwing opportunities for 3 downs, and if we don't get in then kick a chip shot.  We have all these tall receiving targets (Decker, Nelson, Cumberland, Amaro) and a veteran back who's a good receiver. Really no need for lining up Michael Vick at receiver. Ever.

Ugh. Yes, if there's another valid complaint about the offense this week it was the fancy-pants play-calling in the redzone, and sending Vick out on the field with Geno. Just pointless. Like you said, they're taking a potential playmaker off the field by doing that. Have some confidence in your QB and your offense, line up, and run a play. The missed opportunities down there (including the Geno fumble) are as much on Mornhinweg (if not more) as anyone else.

I really don't want to see Vick on the field unless Geno needs to come out of the game for medical reasons. Like most backup QBs.

No doubt.  Cant shoot yourself in the foot with penalties and turnover vs. good teams.  I

The 3rd down stat is a little misleading because there were some obvious 3rd and longs that they just werent going to risk throwing down field on and settled for the punt.  Also, they throwing a lot of screens hoping for the best in those situations too.  Either way, that has to improve vs. the betters teams and it should.  Week 1 tends to be a little sloppy for most teams so hopefully now that they've got it on film, they can correct it.

It's exciting for sure.  I really hope the lightbulb has officially gone on for Geno, because Dom Capers tends to eat young QB's alive.

I expect to see us run it up the gut a healthy number of times (but probably too many times at that).

Even though he was coming off a sub-par season, Raji is twice the player Guion is, and on any give play Raji was able to "wake up" and end an offense's series (not that Capers was using him right anyway, plopping Raji's 6'2/340-lb frame at DE). But he was going to be their NT again and now he's out for the season.

Guion is awful. He's not nearly what we had in Sione Pouha when Kris Jenkins went down. He's a useless, disgusting fatbody; like Private Pyle in a cheesehead helmet.

Behind Guion, Hawk is as effective in this type of defense as Vilma was. He's not that good to begin with (considering where he was drafted), but being a run-stuffer up the gut and covering LBers are two things he sucks at, and they're two responsibilities he has in Capers's 3-4.

Jones (next to him) is better-suited for the defense than Hawk from a size/style aspect, but that presumes he's well-suited for any NFL defense. In other words: he stinks.

We (allegedly) may see a lot more Capers dialing up their "new" 4-3 looks from them on Sunday, though, to give Peppers more 1-on-1 matchups as much as any other alleged reason. But they're new to it and subbing players in & out for different packages isn't 2nd nature yet even though the summer is over. On Lynch's 9 yard TD, GB only had 10 guys on the field.

I expect to see more or less a carbon copy of Seattle's gameplan. Run, run, run, and run some more, but make a bunch of substitution packages so these guys are caught off guard. Unfortunately, that means Marty trying to get - as slats called it 2 posts above - "fancy-pants" with his playcalling. So TBH, I do expect to see a couple of Vick packages again. Especially since Ryan seemed to think they were good ideas if they were just executed right (Vick missing an open Decker in the EZ, for example).

We can't run up the gut on every play (despite this being an alleged dream of Rex Ryan's). What this also means that on pass plays, when there is pressure from their ends or OLBs, Geno should be able to (he'll have room to) step up in the pocket and buy himself another half to a full second.

I could write more - oh, I could definitely write some more - but I'll stop here. For now.

I expect to see us run it up the gut a healthy number of times (but probably too many times at that).

Even though he was coming off a sub-par season, Raji is twice the player Guion is, and on any give play Raji was able to "wake up" and end an offense's series (not that Capers was using him right anyway, plopping Raji's 6'2/340-lb frame at DE). But he was going to be their NT again and now he's out for the season.

Guion is awful. He's not nearly what we had in Sione Pouha when Kris Jenkins went down. He's a useless, disgusting fatbody; like Private Pyle in a cheesehead helmet.

Behind Guion, Hawk is as effective in this type of defense as Vilma was. He's not that good to begin with (considering where he was drafted), but being a run-stuffer up the gut and covering LBers are two things he sucks at, and they're two responsibilities he has in Capers's 3-4.

Jones (next to him) is better-suited for the defense than Hawk from a size/style aspect, but that presumes he's well-suited for any NFL defense. In other words: he stinks.

We (allegedly) may see a lot more Capers dialing up their "new" 4-3 looks from them on Sunday, though, to give Peppers more 1-on-1 matchups as much as any other alleged reason. But they're new to it and subbing players in & out for different packages isn't 2nd nature yet even though the summer is over. On Lynch's 9 yard TD, GB only had 10 guys on the field.

I expect to see more or less a carbon copy of Seattle's gameplan. Run, run, run, and run some more, but make a bunch of substitution packages so these guys are caught off guard. Unfortunately, that means Marty trying to get - as slats called it 2 posts above - "fancy-pants" with his playcalling. So TBH, I do expect to see a couple of Vick packages again. Especially since Ryan seemed to think they were good ideas if they were just executed right (Vick missing an open Decker in the EZ, for example).

We can't run up the gut on every play (despite this being an alleged dream of Rex Ryan's). What this also means that on pass plays, when there is pressure from their ends or OLBs, Geno should be able to (he'll have room to) step up in the pocket and buy himself another half to a full second.

I could write more - oh, I could definitely write some more - but I'll stop here. For now.

Nice analysis!  I read the whole post.  Still terrified of Rodgers but not so much their defense at the moment.

Nice analysis!  I read the whole post.  Still terrified of Rodgers but not so much their defense at the moment.

There are times when you need to be able to put up 28+ points to win, and this might be one of those games.  Packers are going to move the ball and Rodgers is likely to make some plays -- and if he does, it does not necessarily meant that the secondary sux,  Aaron Rodgers is just that good.  The good news is that the offense we saw on Sunday looks like its capable of putting up 30 (if they elminate penalties and other mistakes) -- and the Packers defense is not necessarily any better than the Raiders defense that we just manhandled.  

I am nervous about the game, and the Packers should be favored, but this is a game we can win.

Peppers is a shell of himself.  Dont care the formation.  You run at him, all. day. long.  Nobody on that defense scares you other than Matthews's ability to make a big play.  I could see strip sack from him the way Geno protects the ball but otherwise, they Jets OL should have a field day. Hawk is mediocre at best...he'd be destroyed around here if he was a Jet and we took him 8th overall or whatever he was.

It's not the offense I'm worried about this game.

There are times when you need to be able to put up 28+ points to win, and this might be one of those games.  Packers are going to move the ball and Rodgers is likely to make some plays -- and if he does, it does not necessarily meant that the secondary sux,  Aaron Rodgers is just that good.  The good news is that the offense we saw on Sunday looks like its capable of putting up 30 (if they elminate penalties and other mistakes) -- and the Packers defense is not necessarily any better than the Raiders defense that we just manhandled.  

I am nervous about the game, and the Packers should be favored, but this is a game we can win.

Yes and no. Part of my point is I think people should fully prepare themselves for us to do everything we can to run the ball 40x on Sunday. Eats the clock, keeps Rodgers off the field, attacks the most vulnerable part of their defense, and keeps their defenders on the field and exhausted.

So I also expect a few drives to end after a run-run-pass-punt 3 & out, and expect a bunch of gimmick plays, and expect there will be much complaining about it.

But no matter how well Smith was throwing the ball, I don't know that I want him to get into a shootout with Aaron Rodgers just yet.

Archived