Not so bold prediction for the NYJ vs GB game

houyx

Whoever wins the turnover battle wins the game.  If the turnover battle is a tie, the Packers probably win the game.

Given how loose the Jets are with the football they will probably lose the turnover battle and the game.

The biggest reason why the  week 1 game was close was because the Jets had 2 turnovers while the Raiders had 0.

Rex needs to do a better job of coaching the Jets to minimize turnovers and the Jet's D how to create turnovers.

Whoever wins the turnover battle wins the game.  If the turnover battle is a tie, the Packers probably win the game.

Given how loose the Jets are with the football they will probably lose the turnover battle and the game.

The biggest reason why the  week 1 game was close was because the Jets had 2 turnovers while the Raiders had 0.

Rex needs to do a better job of coaching the Jets to minimize turnovers and the Jet's D how to create turnovers.

Well two interesting matchups:

1. Jets runnning game vs GB defense

2. GB pass offense vs jets secondary

If points from turnovers are equal(no harm in turning the ball over if the defense can stop :-) ), whichever matchup creates the most points win

The Jets will win this game. I dont like this timid approach. The Packers will have the best player on the field, and imo, the best at his position in Aaron Rodgers, but please, The Jets have a better team, and the packers injuries from that seattle game doesnt help either. The Packers are not the team they once were and they dont scare me. I really loved Rex approach after Sunday's win, letting him know that sometimes a W just isn't a W. If we lose against the Packers on Sunday that Rex interview should sound something like this. 

We can most definitely beat this team, no timidness needed. 

Honestly, you make a good case here. I was starting to be optimistic, but I can't see our defense causing more turnovers than their defense does to our offense. It will probably take a great game on the ground and a big special teams play.

We're going to run it down their throats literally all day I think.  It's going to be the ground and pound's finest day and everyone will be talking about entire 9 minute drives where the Jets ran every single play on an exhausted D en route to TD's.

That is how I think this game will go.

We're going to run it down their throats literally all day I think.  It's going to be the ground and pound's finest day and everyone will be talking about entire 9 minute drives where the Jets ran every single play on an exhausted D en route to TD's.

I hope not. I do want to get the running game going but I want to see pass completions. we need a balanced offense and I'm getting tired of just having "the ground game". I want to see Geno command the offense and see Ivory and Johnson cement the win with the run. 

I hope not. I do want to get the running game going but I want to see pass completions. we need a balanced offense and I'm getting tired of just having "the ground game". I want to see Geno command the offense and see Ivory and Johnson cement the win with the run. 

I hear ya, but I would also like to see us play to teams weaknesses. If we're getting 4-10 yds per run play, Run it all damn day.   Of course there will be passes as well, but a run heavy offense when playing a weak run stopping team isn't the worst thing in the world to do. Especially when it just so happens to be a stregth of the Jets at the moment.

I'm more concerned with the gadget plays and their timing - when you have the ball on your opponents 3 yard line - don't get freakin' cute with the play calling.

I think we are flat better than GB because of matchups.

Well two interesting matchups:

1. Jets runnning game vs GB defense

2. GB pass offense vs jets secondary

If points from turnovers are equal(no harm in turning the ball over if the defense can stop :-) ), whichever matchup creates the most points win

You have to include the Jets front 7 in this match up. It's not just Green Bay passin attack versus the Jets secondary, it's the Green Bay passing attack against the Jets pass defense as a whole.

That Pack offensive line will most likely have two rookies protecting Rodgers.

The D-Line has to turn it up this week.

Sometimes it seems they have that great non-stat game...hurries, batted passes, pressures...but they need to get to Rodgers heavy this week.

I dont think they have an answer for our running game.

If Geno has the same game as last week, minus 3 mistakes...we win.

Lets hope MM drops that red zone cute sh#t.

I hope you are right however I am wary of this approach because the run stat for the Raider game doesnt look as great if you take away Ivory's flukey 70 yd run. 

Maybe CJ breaks one this week?

I think Geno will need to pass for 250 with no ints or fumbles for them to have a shot.

I hope you are right however I am wary of this approach because the run stat for the Raider game doesnt look as great if you take away Ivory's flukey 70 yd run. 

I think Geno will need to pass for 250 with no ints or fumbles for them to have a shot.

The Jets were the top rushing team in the NFL week one. If you take away that 70 yard TD, they'd've been 9th overall. Still not too bad. And if all Ivory did was get a first down there, I think it's safe to say the Jets would've run the football a little more the rest of the way. The running game looks pretty solid.

I think the lack of turnovers is what's key for Geno this week. Depends on how well the defense contains Rogers, obviously. But if they do a good job and Geno protects the ball, the Jets can win this game with him throwing for <200 yards.

I don't think this not so bold prediction was not bold enough. 

I predict the Jets will play a game of football on Sunday afternoon and that it will not end until the early evening. 

I predict the Jets will play a game of football that will be from a competitive standpoint, over by half time.

Honestly, you make a good case here. I was starting to be optimistic, but I can't see our defense causing more turnovers than their defense does to our offense. It will probably take a great game on the ground and a big special teams play.

Our offense's turnovers were less of a concern than if Smith turned it over by throwing into a pack of Raiders in the secondary, trying to hit the one white jersey in a mass of black ones.

Better QBs than Smith threw much worse would-be interceptions than the one Woodson picked off, which required a great play. All the talk about Ha-Ha in the other thread, well if the had half of Woodson's hands then Wilson would have thrown a pick there. And another in the EZ. Those types of non-interceptions are the result of luck more than the result of good (or at least careful) QB play. The pick Smith threw, by comparison, usually isn't caught. I don't really care about the stat sheet, since we won the game anyway. It's more that an interception counts whether it was a horrible attempt by the QB or a great play by the defender. But one is more likely to happen again and again; the other is less likely. Ultimately, time will tell what kind of a QB Smith ends up being.

As far as the other turnovers, and would-be turnovers, if he's reminded to slide, he has no fumbles. If he's reminded of the game situation, he doesn't take that idiotic 19-yard sack. He just spent the whole summer with Michael Vick. Understandable if a young player, in the first game of the season, against the Raiders, thinks he had some invisible juice in him. Just as long as it doesn't keep happening.

If he was just chucking it up there, or if his throws were off the mark, and that resulted in a couple of picks I'd be far more concerned.

The 70-yard run may have been flukey, but you can't just erase an entire possession and suggest the game was otherwise the same. Erasing that run, as you're putting it, doesn't just erase the run. It erases a possession, starting on 1st down from our own 29, against a team we had little difficulty marching downfield against all game long.

Saying "if you take away" that run, whether you realize it or not, is the same as saying "if we fumbled away that entire possession on the punt return," because you're also disallowing that the team would have had so much as 1 rushing yard on that whole possession you've (effectively) erased.

Archived