The INT at the end of first half lost this game. Completely reversed momentum.

CTM

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why in Gods name would you even RISK letting  GB back in game at that point near halftime and shift momentum.

I would have run or thrown dumpoffs that could be picked and went into locker room up 21-9 or 24-9.

We got greedy on road and it bit us.

No. I don't fault anyone for going for a back-breaking play. If Geno's legs don't get hit, he completes that pass to Sudfeld. The problem wasn't that they threw an INT... the problem is that they let it break their moral.

One turnover and the entire team / coaching staff wet their pants, beginning with allowing the 97-yard TD drive. From there it became the Vick plays, the penalties, the bad playcalling, the bad coverage, the bad coaching.... all of it went to sh*t because the Jets wet their pants over an INT.

Big time. No holding calls, the no-call on the Geno hit, the 12 men penalty on the Harris pick (which was called about as tightly as possible), allowing the 4th-down TD play to run without a whistle and then calling it back. Honestly one of the worst officiating performances I've seen in a long time.

There was a whistle on the 4th down play.  The ref on the Jets sideline waved the play dead, whistle was blown while the ball was in the air.  I was at the game and I heard the whistle -- I didn't watch the play trying to figure out why the whistle was blown, I assumed a pre-snap penalty but didn't see a flag.  

There was a whistle on the 4th down play. The ref on the Jets sideline waved the play dead, whistle was blown while the ball was in the air. I was at the game and I heard the whistle -- I didn't watch the play trying to figure out why the whistle was blown, I assumed a pre-snap penalty but didn't see a flag.

Ah, gotcha. We were sitting over the endzone, so I was just watching the play.

It should also be noted that Geno got hit at the knees on that play, which is a penalty 99% of the time.

It is the Jets, remember.  The Jets had been abused by the refs over the last two games.  That first down freebie given to Rodgers on third down that let to points when he was the one at fault was a disgrace. 

No. I don't fault anyone for going for a back-breaking play. If Geno's legs don't get hit, he completes that pass to Sudfeld. The problem wasn't that they threw an INT... the problem is that they let it break their moral.

One turnover and the entire team / coaching staff wet their pants, beginning with allowing the 97-yard TD drive. From there it became the Vick plays, the penalties, the bad playcalling, the bad coverage, the bad coaching.... all of it went to sh*t because the Jets wet their pants over an INT.

All for agreessivenes, but more for keeping momentum on road when crowd out it. It was a dumb XsOs move at that point. You want a shot at endzone, fine, take it when there isnt enuf time for GB to mount a drive. Run, force them to run clock or use thier timeouts. Plus when lots of time left thorw uninterceptable balls when u have Mo and lead and ball i n3Q. Throw dumpoffs to CJ. Did Jets forget CJ has led NFL in YAC after catch last 5 years in NFL? And dumpoffs/screens cant be intercepted.

The INT with under 2:00 minutes left was like a good punt. 

It is the 97 yard drive for a TD that flipped the game, and it is the litany of mistakes that sealed the loss for us.

I don't think you appreciate the psychology.  The Jets defense just got off the field and the assumption was the Jets were going to get at least a FG and head to the half. The INT that was just like a punt happened on 1st down (I think, in FG range). It wasn't like a punt.. at all

Why in Gods name would you even RISK letting  GB back in game at that point near halftime and shift momentum.

I would have run or thrown dumpoffs that could be picked and went into locker room up 21-9 or 24-9.

The guy was wide open. a split second sooner and it's first and goal

+1

Geno was playing the best football of his pro career to that point. I don't really have a problem with going for the killshot. He held the ball too long, he got hit, the refs blew the call, Sudfeld stood there and watched the ball get picked. sh*t happens.

LOL, and what happened? game was won there if we went into halftime 21-9, 24-9 or 28-9 by run/ uninterceptable passes, aka dumpoffs to CJ (who leads NFL last 4 years in YAC after catch for RBs) and milk clock to where IF Rodgers got ball again it would be w/minimal time on clock and GB would have had to use Timeouts..

Sometimes its smarter to keep lead/Momentum on road than risk before halftime. Halftime Momentum is so VERY important in NFL

But what the hell do I know :)

I don't think you appreciate the psychology.  The Jets defense just got off the field and the assumption was the Jets were going to get at least a FG and head to the half. The INT that was just like a punt happened on 1st down (I think, in FG range). It wasn't like a punt.. at all

The punt reference was just about field position. 

The offense spotted the defense a 21-3 lead to protect. It was the first turnover. It put the Packers inside their own 20 with under 2:00 minutes. I don't think it's asking too much for a defense that touts themselves as top 5 to stifle the Packers for 2 minutes. Everything about that situation favors our defense... what you are implying is that the defense gave up because of the INT. I get the psychology of it, but I also extend blame to the defense for being a bunch of pussies if that's the case. 

The punt reference was just about field position. 

The offense spotted the defense a 21-3 lead to protect. It was the first turnover. It put the Packers inside their own 20 with under 2:00 minutes. I don't think it's asking too much for a defense that touts themselves as top 5 to stifle the Packers for 2 minutes. Everything about that situation favors our defense... what you are implying is that the defense gave up because of the INT. I get the psychology of it, but I also extend blame to the defense for being a bunch of pussies if that's the case. 

BUT WHY even let that situation happen?? Makes ZERO sense. You score there wq/ 2min left, good chance GB scores again. The smart before halftime move is to NOT let GB get ball again and keep lead same or increase via FG or safe dumposs passes OR endzone throw with less than 30 seconds left so GB has minimal toime to score.

Its a Straw Man  insulting smart football to say Defense shouldnt have given up 97 yd drive. 

But wtf do I know,,,Go Jets :)

Coming out of the 2 min, warning up 21-9, ball on the pack 27, why in the hell are u throwing it there, even if you get 7 on that play, the pack get the ball back with Timeouts. Why not run it twice and throw a safe bubble screen so at least you make them use all 3 timeouts, take the three and at worst say you give back the 3, its 24-12. Interception, pack TD and a swing of 10 points. Game over right there.  That's where Rex is gotta tell the coordinator what he wants. All he does is manage the defense and do post game press conferences. Herm might have managed the game better. We will never win a championship with a coordinator as our head coach.

Coming out of the 2 min, warning up 21-9, ball on the pack 27, why in the hell are u throwing it there, even if you get 7 on that play, the pack get the ball back with Timeouts. Why not run it twice and throw a safe bubble screen so at least you make them use all 3 timeouts, take the three and at worst say you give back the 3, its 24-12. Interception, pack TD and a swing of 10 points. Game over right there.  That's where Rex is gotta tell the coordinator what he wants. All he does is manage the defense and do post game press conferences. Herm might have managed the game better. We will never win a championship with a coordinator as our head coach.

The run game wasn't working.. the guy was wide open. Geno throws it a bit earlier and it's first and goal, and then you can run

seems pretty much a no brainer to me

LOL, and what happened? game was won there if we went into halftime 21-9, 24-9 or 28-9 by run/ uninterceptable passes, aka dumpoffs to CJ (who leads NFL last 4 years in YAC after catch for RBs) and milk clock to where IF Rodgers got ball again it would be w/minimal time on clock and GB would have had to use Timeouts..

Sometimes its smarter to keep lead/Momentum on road than risk before halftime. Halftime Momentum is so VERY important in NFL

But what the hell do I know :)

Couldn't agree more. There were two minutes left and they were already in field goal range. The smart play is to run the clock down and put points on the board and not let Rogers touch the ball again before the half, plus the Jets were getting the ball to start the second half. I thought the idea was to shorten the game against great quarterbacks, not get into a shootout.

bingo,,, we got greedy for no reaosn,,a throw to endzone is OK if less than 30 seconds left

Couldn't agree more. There were two minutes left and they were already in field goal range. The smart play is to run the clock down and put points on the board and not let Rogers touch the ball again before the half, plus the Jets were getting the ball to start the second half. I thought the idea was to shorten the game against great quarterbacks, not get into a shootout.

Yup, dumbest move in a LONG time by Jets staff

I don't get the complaints about the play call there. People have been consistently upset with the Stone Age ground & pound, then get upset when the team is going for the jugular. No one's complaining if Geno doesn't get hit as he throws there.

You want a more aggressive offense, you have to deal with some of the risks involved.

I don't get the complaints about the play call there. People have been consistently upset with the Stone Age ground & pound, then get upset when the team is going for the jugular. No one's complaining if Geno doesn't get hit as he throws there.

You want a more aggressive offense, you have to deal with some of the risks involved.

There is a time and a place for everything.  Given the score, field position, getting the ball to start the second half and the fact that you have one of the best QB's in the league on the other side, this was not the time to take a risk.  We could have methodically choked them out without them touching the ball until 10 minutes left in the the third quarter.  

There is a time and a place for everything.  Given the score, field position, getting the ball to start the second half and the fact that you have one of the best QB's in the league on the other side, this was not the time to take a risk.  We could have methodically choked them out without them touching the ball until 10 minutes left in the the third quarter.  

agree, I am BAFFLED by folks who say 'Oh but we are finally aggressive'. .I like aggressive now also with MM as OC, BUT, come on simple logic dictates keeping Rodgers form ball until 1/3rd of way thru 3rd Qtr and us having guaranteed momentum leaving field at halftime. 

Time and place. Lets not get nuts here and remember, sometimes football is about what you dont do/try at 'certain times'  as much as about what you do.

We had big lead, momentum and chance to keep ball from Rodgers. If we score there, he has 2 minutes to score again, break even. If we kill clock ,we come out ahead in several game aspects. I was not against a endzone throw, just wanted it with minimal seconds on clock on a 3rd down before a FG attempt on 4th down.

you don't be aggressive for aggresive sake. why not try onsides kick to start the game? that's agressive! why not always go for it on 4th down? that's aggressive!

yup. massive brain fart/greed cost the game.

were as the interception was definitely the turning point in the game, a td reception there puts the nail in the coffin for green bay. I like that they stayed aggressive and tried to win the game in the first half.

agree, I am BAFFLED by folks who say 'Oh but we are finally aggressive'. .I like aggressive now also with MM as OC, BUT, come on simple logic dictates keeping Rodgers form ball until 1/3rd of way thru 3rd Qtr and us having guaranteed momentum leaving field at halftime. 

Time and place. Lets not get nuts here and remember, sometimes football is about what you dont do/try at 'certain times'  as much as about what you do.

We had big lead, momentum and chance to keep ball from Rodgers. If we score there, he has 2 minutes to score again, break even. If we kill clock ,we come out ahead in several game aspects. I was not against a endzone throw, just wanted it with minimal seconds on clock on a 3rd down before a FG attempt on 4th down.

To that point in the game, the Packers hadn't scored a TD. The logic you're expressing here is pretty common, and the Jets were trying to take advantage of that line of thinking by going for the TD when they figured they weren't expecting it. Score there, and it's 28-9.

If the Packers wanted the ball again in the first half, they had all their timeouts to spend while the Jets were on offense. There's no guarantee that they're keeping the ball away from them by going into a shell there.

The int was big because it shifted the momentum. It got the fans back in the game, and the crowd and the team were energized. If the Jets scored the TD and then kicked off, they would not've had that same emotional boost. Quite the opposite, actually. And the Jets dee would've been pretty stoked about their offense putting them in great position. It's a whole 'nother drive there in that situation.

I like going for the kill there. It's ballsiness on offense that we haven't seen around here in a long time. I'll take the miscues for now as long as the points start outweighing them.

To that point in the game, the Packers hadn't scored a TD. The logic you're expressing here is pretty common, and the Jets were trying to take advantage of that line of thinking by going for the TD when they figured they weren't expecting it. Score there, and it's 28-9.

If the Packers wanted the ball again in the first half, they had all their timeouts to spend while the Jets were on offense. There's no guarantee that they're keeping the ball away from them by going into a shell there.

The int was big because it shifted the momentum. It got the fans back in the game, and the crowd and the team were energized. If the Jets scored the TD and then kicked off, they would not've had that same emotional boost. Quite the opposite, actually. And the Jets dee would've been pretty stoked about their offense putting them in great position. It's a whole 'nother drive there in that situation.

I like going for the kill there. It's ballsiness on offense that we haven't seen around here in a long time. I'll take the miscues for now as long as the points start outweighing them.

LOL. how did it work out when math says 100% you keep momentum if u kill clock there,,,smh

Still baffled as hell w/some folks not understanding simple XsOs of strategy and on road momentum. Even if that TD hits, GB has 2 minutes to even it, smh

were as the interception was definitely the turning point in the game, a td reception there puts the nail in the coffin for green bay. I like that they stayed aggressive and tried to win the game in the first half.

LOL. how did it work out when math says 100% you keep momentum if u kill clock there,,,smh

Still baffled as hell w/some folks not understanding simple XsOs of strategy and on road momentum. Even if that TD hits, GB has 2 minutes to even it, smh

Lol @ "the math." The math says it's a different game if they score the TD there.

Simple is as simple does. I like erring on the side of aggressiveness.

Lol @ "the math." The math says it's a different game if they score the TD there.

Simple is as simple does. I like erring on the side of aggressivene

Uh you couldnt be more wrong on math here. If they score there,GB gets ball back w/2 minutes (which they did w/INT and voila TD) Break even, but GB still  goes into halftime just scoring and feeling good.

Kill clock, its 21-9 minimal (we probably get FG, 24-9), come on, I said I like aggressive also, just NOT when it could be momentum changing at end of half w/best QB in NFL at  the ready. 

no question, but I agree 100% with the call. we were calling aggressive plays, and I loved it. live by the sword die by the sword. I hope they keep running and gunning all season!!

i hope they never punt again on fourth down or attempt a field goal again all season. live by tha sword die by tha sword baby! #aggression

no question, but I agree 100% with the call. we were calling aggressive plays, and I loved it. live by the sword die by the sword. I hope they keep running and gunning all season!smh

smh. I'd rather be aggressive but also smart when strategy/game situation dictates it. This isnt madden, its more Chess.

Archived