Idzik Continues to Put Jets on Path to Irrelevancy

flgreen

So... Chris Johnson is the reason why the draft sucked?  I thought it was because McDougle is on IR, Saunders sucked and Pryor is Eric Berry II but please tell me more

huh? The draft sucked because the draft sucked. Johnson was a dumb signing....with so many picks probably would have been an ok idea to draft a back instead of placating to a malcontent.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

huh? The draft sucked because the draft sucked. Johnson was a dumb signing....with so many picks probably would have been an ok idea to draft a back instead of placating to a malcontent.

Pretty dumb argument on your part.  Johnson has been an effective player for us and has zero to do with the fact that our FO did a sh*t job of evaluating talent in this year's draft or picked a slow safety over Brandin Cooks.

You just don't like the guy I get it.  Don't get the Chris Johnson - 2014 Jets draft connection think that's pretty lame.

Pretty dumb argument on your part.  Johnson has been an effective player for us and has zero to do with the fact that our FO did a sh*t job of evaluating talent in this year's draft or picked a slow safety over Brandin Cooks.

You just don't like the guy I get it.  Don't get the Chris Johnson - 2014 Jets draft connection think that's pretty lame.

Johnson has stunk. Brandin Cooks  is a JAG btw..

And there' no connection to the draft, Idzik did a poor job with FA and the draft...it's just bizarre the position he decided to go after in free agency was running back. A position smart teams rarely utilize via FA.

Between the pointless picks, the throw away FA's signings...and a sloppily put together roster...idk what to think anymore. Last year I thought Idzik had his sh*t together...now he's just looking like a putz. 

It'd probably be in the teams best interest to address why they're 20mill under the cap to start. 

Idziot lost me when he chose Geno over lacy or 1 of the good we in the 2 and round that year...I'm not a Sanchez fan but I tho he was good snuff for now until a better qb could be drafted.  There were a few available that year in rounds 3-6 and more than his year and then more next year.  Idziot in the meantime could have been working on the core playmakers etc..

Actually Idzik's job was to pursue Sanders....not the other way around. You man crush has been more bust than success as a GM so far.

If he whiffs again next draft and off season he should be dismissed.

prove he didn't

I'm not going to take mehta's word for it

I don't have a man crush on idzik.  I just judge decisions based on the information available at the time, I'm not going to blame him for 2 corners getting hurt on the same day, another one going ******* awol. 

I killed idzik for not cutting goodson the day he puked in his lap.

he deserves a lot of criticism.  he ignored the OG position.  the kick return game sucks

I'm not going to let the beat writers lead me around by my nose

**** them

And there' no connection to the draft, Idzik did a poor job with FA and the draft...it's just bizarre the position he decided to go after in free agency was running back. A position smart teams rarely utilize via FA.

You keep saying Brandin Cooks is a jag and its never true no matter how many times you repeat it.

I agree with you about most everything else, though.

To be fair, Seattle has already cut five picks from last year. They keep turning the roster over until they find guys. It was disturbing to see Idzik draft multiple guys at receiver and hit on none though. That's not what I was expecting at all.

To be fair, making Seattle roster a little tougher than making jets roster

Especially teams that possessed the 6th best or better rushing attack the year before.

Idziot lost me when he chose Geno over lacy or 1 of the good we in the 2 and round that year...I'm not a Sanchez fan but I tho he was good snuff for now until a better qb could be drafted.  There were a few available that year in rounds 3-6 and more than his year and then more next year.  Idziot in the meantime could have been working on the core playmakers etc..

Bravo on "Idziot"…LOL.

Deliberate style may work when it is one on one negotiation (Revis and ivory) but doesn't win auctions (free agents). Also Emmanuel sanders would have JAG numbers in this offense. That is all.

agree. I think he gets accused of being cheap when it's really he is slow and deliberate.  He likes the overnight visit with the fancy dinner. sometimes you just have to exchange e-mails and get it done

he had months to decide who his targets were, do the research, check the film, do a background check, injury history

he should hav ben able to run down a shopping list and just get somebody ******* signed

agree. I think he gets accused of being cheap when it's really he is slow and deliberate. He likes the overnight visit with the fancy dinner. sometimes you just have to exchange e-mails and get it done

he had months to decide who his targets were, do the research, check the film, do a background check, injury history

he should hav ben able to run down a shopping list and just get somebody ******* signed

Like Emmanuel Sanders, who was going to tell Peyton "no" and come play herelololikololkikkkkilolololol

Sunday notes: Jets' selection of Jalen Saunders a whiff for the ages

October, 5, 2014

OCT 5

5:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

SAN DIEGO -- A look at what's going on around and inside the New York Jets:

1. The demise of Saunders:: Jalen Saunders never will be mentioned with Vernon Gholston and Blair Thomas as all-time draft busts, but his release was stunning in its own right. He was picked near the top of the fourth round (104th overall), becoming the highest-drafted player in 2014 to be cut by his team. I checked the records to find out the last time the Jets gave up so quickly on a fourth-round pick or higher, and I came up with wide receiver Reggie Rembert (second round, 1990), who was traded in his first training camp. Prior to Rembert, you have to go back to 1986, when tackle Doug Williams (second round) was cut in camp.

Saunders

The Jets drafted Saunders with the idea that he would return punts and back up slot receiver Jeremy Kerley, perhaps taking over the slot in 2015. (Kerley is a free agent). But Saunders wasn't nearly as explosive as the team's draft reports had indicated, sources said. The only reason he made the team was because of his punt-returning ability, but he never showed any elusiveness. When he muffed punts in back-to-back games, he became expendable.

That's a big miss by general manager John Idzik and his scouts, especially when you consider it was one of the deepest wide-receiver drafts in recent memory. Saunders, now a member of the Arizona Cardinals' practice squad, went unclaimed on waivers -- an indication the rest of the league doesn't think much of him.

2. Is Vick the answer? The Jets are quick to say they believe Michael Vick, 34, still can play at a high level, but his most recent work suggests otherwise. In his final 16 starts with the Philadelphia Eagles, Vick went 5-11 with 20 turnovers. Privately, there are some at One Jets Drive who wonder if he would be an upgrade over the struggling Geno Smith, a sentiment shared by one longtime front-office executive who keeps a close eye on the Jets.

Vick

Vick

"Vick isn't what he was," he said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Nobody fears him as a runner anymore and he's not good in the pocket. He's very defendable. I don't get this perception that he's the savior. It's a myth, a media myth. He's not saving anybody's job. He's a Band-Aid."

Here's my take: I agree that Vick isn't the Vick of 2010, but he could provide a lift out of the bullpen. If Smith is struggling and/or the offense is flatlining Sunday against the San Diego Chargers, why not turn to Vick? We're not talking about a permanent gig, just a relief appearance. The idea is to win the game and worry about the fallout later.

3. Numbers don't add up: The Jets are having a weird season. By that, I mean they are doing things that defy the tenets of football. Consider:

They put pressure on the opposing quarterback more often than any team, but they have yet to intercept a pass. "It really is hard to explain," coach Rex Ryan said. The Jets generate pressure on 33.1 percent of pass plays, slightly better than the J.J. Watt-led Houston Texans, according to ESPN Stats & Information. But they haven't picked off any of the 146 passes.

With such a strong pass rush, the Jets should be killing it on third down, but they have allowed five touchdowns on third down, tied for the mos

Smith

Smith hasn't made any big mistakes on third down, usually the hardest down for a quarterback, but he's a mess on all other downs. On third down, Smith has four touchdown passes and no interceptions. The only other quarterback with more touchdowns and no interceptions is Aaron Rodgers (before Thursday night). On the other downs, however, Smith has no touchdowns and five interceptions. Seems to me that Marty Mornhinweg should be running more on first and second down.

4. Positive Geno: Smith is 20 starts into his career, and we can report that the second 10 were slightly better than the first 10 -- at least from a touchdown-interception standpoint. First 10 starts: 10 touchdowns, 16 interceptions. Second 10 starts: Eight touchdowns, 10 interceptions. So there's that.

5. An un-Rex-like trend: Maybe you have noticed, maybe you haven't, but the Jets have played more zone than usual. Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman acknowledged the subtle shift, saying, "We’re still going to be true to who we are ... but, yeah, we’re mixing in a little bit more zone than we have in the past." He said they are doing it to break tendencies. The unspoken reason is they are trying to camouflage deficiencies in the secondary. Obviously, zone coverage requires more communication than man-to-man, which may explain some of the mental mistakes.

6. The Missiles of October: So here we go, the Jets have reached the so-called killer portion of their schedule, facing Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in a span of 11 days. Looking for a silver lining? Three of Ryan's four playoff wins have come against those quarterbacks.

7. Revolving door of receivers: T.J. Graham and Chris Owusu, both signed this week, became the 15th and 16th wide receivers on the 53-man roster over the past 20 games -- a stunning amount of turnover. Who can forget immortals such as Ben Obomanu, Ryan Spadola and Michael Campbell? If Geno Smith wants to use naughty words, he should curse the lack of continuity in his receiving corps.

8. Money matters: Much like they did last season with Nelson, an in-season addition, the Jets signed Graham and Owusu to two-year contracts for the minimum salaries and no guarantees. Fullback John Conner signed a one-year deal for the minimum.

Decker

9. All hands on Deck-er? It will be interesting to see if Eric Decker plays Sunday and, if so, how much and how well. There was a sense in Denver, his previous address, that his dropped passes were more likely to occur when he was battling injuries. He didn't disprove that theory last week, dropping two against the Detroit Lions after returning from a hamstring injury. The Jets face the Broncos next week, so you wonder if that will be in the back of his mind in San Diego. You can bet he will want to be as close to 100 percent as possible for that one.

10. Trader John: Idzik's honeymoon is over. He is experiencing the wrath of the New York fans and media for his cap management and personnel decisions, but let's give credit where it's due. How 'bout the Chris Ivory trade last year? Idzik traded a fourth-round pick for Ivory, signed him to a team-friendly contract (three years, $6 million) and now look: He's easily the offensive MVP at the quarter mark, maybe the MVP of the entire team.

11. Woody drops the ball: I don't think owner Woody Johnson distinguished himself by the way he handled questions about the domestic-violence issue. He scolded his quarterback for cursing a fan, but he evaded questions on whether he would cut a player if the player was convicted of domestic violence. Right now, he has the Quincy Enunwa situation. Two years ago, Bryan Thomas was arrested for domestic violence during the season and he was allowed to continue playing. Johnson said he couldn't remember the details of the incident. Obviously, this is a complicated issue from a league perspective, but Johnson missed a chance to take a strong stand.

12. A football tragedy in our backyard: Condolences to the family and teammates of Tom Cutinella, who died Wednesday after suffering a head injury in a high-school game. He played for Shoreham-Wading River High, located on Long Island's east end. From all accounts, he was the model son and student-athlete. Such a sad story.

Irrelevant....did somebody say Irrelephant?

Groucho Marx (as Captain Spaulding in Animal Crackers);

"My name is Spaulding. I've always wanted to meet you, Mr. Chandler. As I say, we tried to remove the tusks. But they were embedded so firmly we couldn't budge them. Of course, in Alabama the Tuscaloosa, but that is entirely ir-elephant to what I was talking about. 

also...

What's large, grey, and doesn't matter? An irr-elephant

This doesn't make any sense.

First of all, you were calling him a slot receiver since he was in college when he was playing the vast majority of his snaps on the outside. We all understand the turgity of your erection for Benjamin, no reason to try and smear Cooks. Hes a special player and 50 times the player Kerley is.

First of all, you were calling him a slot receiver since he was in college when he was playing the vast majority of his snaps on the outside. We all understand the turgity of your erection for Benjamin, no reason to try and smear Cooks. Hes a special player and 50 times the player Kerley is.

He's playing the slot strictly for the Saints. He's averaging under 10 ypc...I'm not smearing Cooks I'm just saying we haven't missed out on anything big as of yet. The explosive plays haven't been there for him or Sammy. 

He's playing the slot strictly for the Saints. He's averaging under 10 ypc...I'm not smearing Cooks I'm just saying we haven't missed out on anything big as of yet. The explosive plays haven't been there for him or Sammy.

Benjamin looks great, Matt. Better than I thought. Kudos to you for recognizing it. Enjoy your Sunday.

Archived