Best and worst Jets per PFF

AFJF

Looking at PFF ratings for the season as a whole.  There were a few things that surprised me, and several that didn't.

Best:

Mo Wilk 14.6

Sheldon Richardson 8.8

Damon Harrison 7.5

Nick Mangold 7.5

Dawan Landry 2.2

Leger Douzable 1.6

Quenton Coples 1.3

Jace Amaro 1.5

Bilal Powell 1.0

Worst:

Geno Smith -14.7

Brian Winters -11.2

David Nelson -9.9

Jeff Cumberland -8.4

Willie Colon -6.8

Chris Johnson -5.2

Michael Vick -5.2

David Harris -4.7

Breno Giacomini -3.9

I do not know how they come to these ratings but it looks at first glance reasonable assessment of better players

I'm not going to pretend to have a full grasp of it yet, but I subscribed based on the fact that numerous mainstream media outlets are consistently quoting their grades.  Here's a portion of their grading explanation from their site.  I think I paid $30 for a year and so far I gotta' say, I'm loving it. 

The goal of our detailed grading process is to gauge how players execute their roles over the course of a game by looking at the performance of each individual on each play. We look beyond the stat sheet at game footage to try to gain an understanding of how well a lineman is blocking on a given play, how much space and help a runner is being given on a play, how effectively a pass rusher brings pressure or how well a defender covers a receiver.

We collect lots of extra statistics such as yards after catch, yards after contact, missed tackles, dropped passes etc., but our real focus is on grading individual performance on each play. Did an offensive lineman seal his block to spring the runner through a hole? Did a defensive lineman beat his block to force a runner to change the play direction in the backfield? Was the crucial third-down completion due to the quarterback beating the coverage or a breakdown in coverage?

We examine not just the statistical result of a play, but the context of that statistic. The defensive tackle may have made a tackle on a play, but if it was 3rd-and-5 and he got blown 4 yards off of the ball to make the tackle after a 6-yard gain, that’s not a good play.

This allows us to present a unique set of statistics for individual player performance in each game. We present base statistics alongside more advanced statistics together with a grade for every player. The marks are presented as overall composite grades but are also broken down in a number of key areas..

I'm not going to pretend to have a full grasp of it yet, but I subscribed based on the fact that numerous mainstream media outlets are consistently quoting their grades.  Here's a portion of their grading explanation from their site.  I think I paid $30 for a year and so far I gotta' say, I'm loving it. 

The goal of our detailed grading process is to gauge how players execute their roles over the course of a game by looking at the performance of each individual on each play. We look beyond the stat sheet at game footage to try to gain an understanding of how well a lineman is blocking on a given play, how much space and help a runner is being given on a play, how effectively a pass rusher brings pressure or how well a defender covers a receiver.

We collect lots of extra statistics such as yards after catch, yards after contact, missed tackles, dropped passes etc., but our real focus is on grading individual performance on each play. Did an offensive lineman seal his block to spring the runner through a hole? Did a defensive lineman beat his block to force a runner to change the play direction in the backfield? Was the crucial third-down completion due to the quarterback beating the coverage or a breakdown in coverage?

We examine not just the statistical result of a play, but the context of that statistic. The defensive tackle may have made a tackle on a play, but if it was 3rd-and-5 and he got blown 4 yards off of the ball to make the tackle after a 6-yard gain, that’s not a good play.

This allows us to present a unique set of statistics for individual player performance in each game. We present base statistics alongside more advanced statistics together with a grade for every player. The marks are presented as overall composite grades but are also broken down in a number of key areas..

what am I graded?

I'm not going to pretend to have a full grasp of it yet, but I subscribed based on the fact that numerous mainstream media outlets are consistently quoting their grades. Here's a portion of their grading explanation from their site. I think I paid $30 for a year and so far I gotta' say, I'm loving it.

It's statistic based, but the scoring sounds as if it's still somewhat subjective. For instance, the grading on lineman is in the eyes of the judge- how does the judge know what the lineman's assignment was on the play? Maybe he's supposed to blow by the tackle and block the linebacker? It's advanced but it's founded on what sounds like personal opinion.

I am surprised that Harris is that low.  Maybe just the poor coverage.  I would assume that Landry is that high because he does not blow assignments, but he is not physically doing anything special.  Either that or he is doing what he is supposed to do in the box.  He is generally a bit behind in coverage, but that is a physical limitation more than something to downgrade him for. 

I am actully kind of glad to see Nelson and Cumberland on there.  They are two JAGs that seem like they might belong on an NFL field, but looked to be slacking to me.  I would be interested to know how Nelson graded out in 2011 when he had his "good" year in Buffalo.  

I am surprised that Harris is that low.  Maybe just the poor coverage.  I would assume that Landry is that high because he does not blow assignments, but he is not physically doing anything special.  Either that or he is doing what he is supposed to do in the box.  He is generally a bit behind in coverage, but that is a physical limitation more than something to downgrade him for. 

Thats what I was thinking with Harris.  He's getting those grades because he's covering Golden Tate and Eddie Royal?  Because otherwise, I feel like he's been tackling well and playing the run well...even some sacks too.

Ouch. 

Thats what I was thinking with Harris.  He's getting those grades because he's covering Golden Tate and Eddie Royal?  Because otherwise, I feel like he's been tackling well and playing the run well...even some sacks too.

Yeah.  He seems to be tackling fine. Maybe not taking on guards as well as he should against the Chargers, but they were super stout against the run before this game. 

Agreed..I actually meant to mention that in the OP.  Definitely a skewed number this early in the season and what they've asked him to do.  I've had fun looking at some of these numbers, but I'm not 100% sold on them yet.  I think they can be a good "guide" to get an idea how well a guy is playing.  Do I believe Geno is the worst QB in the NFL as their metrics suggest?  Possibly, but the lack of protection and WR's hurts his production.  Again, he has done some things horribly that are 100% on him, but it doesn't tell the whole story. 

To be fair, Ferguson can't be rated very highly. He is at best barely positive.

Not the player he once was, but still a very good LT who has been a great player for this organization along with Mangold.  I only tend to trash guys who aren't showing heart/effort.  Otherwise, I never get the ripping of long-time players.  When fans complain about lack of player "loyalty" I just think of how people talked about Mo Lewis near the end of his career and laugh.

Definitely agree with most others that Harris is really the only one on the list that comes across as at all surprising.  Giacomini is the only other one who I might have thought would be a bit higher, but all the damn penalties are sure to play a part in that too, and quite deservedly.

Smith, Winters, Nelson, Cumberland, and Colon will all hopefully be gone next year.   

For whatever reason big John thought re-signing Colon on the cheap was a better move than getting a real OG in FA. 

yep they'll all be replaced by the great rookies we drafted this year

Definitely agree with most others that Harris is really the only one on the list that comes across as at all surprising.  Giacomini is the only other one who I might have thought would be a bit higher, but all the damn penalties are sure to play a part in that too, and quite deservedly.

Harris usually grades low because he has historically been very bad against the run. I'm guessing that the extra responsibilities in the passing game this season have been a detriment as well. That said, he's been grading out poorly since the demise of Scott.

Cumberland has been one of the biggest disappointments of the year. He's either hiding an injury or he's just not trying

I tend to agree. He has been disappointing.

One guy I was expecting to have a breakout year OR make a lot of good contributions was Nelson. Its really disappointing to see how he has fared so far.

Archived