Who Will Clean Up Jets' Mess? Idzik Talked Himself Out - Merged

flgreen

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the Bills don't credit for making any of those turnovers - it's all on the Jets for "giving" them to them? 

LOL at this whole post.

Created turnovers?  LOL is right.  Geno literally threw the ball the the other team, and that other little **** handled the ball like a point guard dribbling.  My friends are Bills fans and they don't take any credit for them.  

Jalen Saunders: The Man Who Brought Down Rex Ryan, Retroactively

Rex deserves to go.  We deserve to have a single regime in here instead of half of one and half of another.  There are a bunch of reasons that Rex deserves to go as a coach.  Failure to develop talent is not one of them.  Maybe you could use that excuse on the failure to develop a QB.  The atmosphere has not been the best for that, but not for the rest of the team. 

Created turnovers? LOL is right. Geno literally threw the ball the the other team, and that other little **** handled the ball like a point guard dribbling. My friends are Bills fans and they don't take any credit for them.

Rex deserves to go. We deserve to have a single regime in here instead of half of one and half of another. There are a bunch of reasons that Rex deserves to go as a coach. Failure to develop talent is not one of them. Maybe you could use that excuse on the failure to develop a QB. The atmosphere has not been the best for that, but not for the rest of the team.

His record with young players is abysmal. I'm not sure how you can conclude otherwise.

Chiefs executive Chris Ballard or Scott Pioli could come clean up NY Jets' mess

Two sources predicted Tuesday that Ballard, the Chiefs director of player personnel, will be the hottest GM candidate after the season. If Johnson goes for a candidate with experience, I think Pioli, the assistant GM in Atlanta, is the best choice.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 1:19 AM
Updated: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 1:19 AM
  • A
  •  
  • A
  •  
  • A

jets-camp.jpgROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Woody Johnson (l.) needs to start over with a general manager whose expertise is personnel, let the GM hire his own head coach, then let the GM and coach find a quarterback.

When Woody Johnson was interviewing general manager candidates 20 months ago, he was interested in hearing their plans for Darrelle Revis.

It was pretty clear how Johnson felt.

“Revis has got to go,” is what Johnson was saying, one source told the Daily News on Tuesday.

If a candidate disagreed and made a point that it might be in the Jets’ best interest to keep their best player, even if he was coming off ACL surgery with contract issues ahead, “Woody didn’t want to hear it,” the source said.

Where did John Idzik stand on the Revis issue? Ninety-three days after Johnson hired him, Idzik traded Revis to Tampa. “John told Woody everything he wanted to hear,” the source said. “John said he would get rid of Revis. I’m 100% sure of it.”

Just 24 games into the job, Idzik is 9-15 with a seven-game losing streak. He is a salary-cap expert in over his head making personnel decisions, made worse by not having a quarterback after whiffing on Geno Smith. His awful press conference Monday didn’t help.

It’s a given Rex Ryan will be fired after the season, but Idzik deserves to go, too. Johnson needs to start over with a general manager whose expertise is personnel, let the GM hire his own head coach, then let the GM and coach find a quarterback.

If Johnson admits he made a mistake with Idzik, will anybody want this job? It’s a massive rebuild under the intense scrutiny and pressure of New York and disgusted Jets fans. “It will be desirable,” one source said. “Somebody will raise their hand for it. There’s only 32 of them. But to me, it’s a bad job. Idzik was foolish to take it, but nobody else wanted him as a general manager and he wanted to be a GM. It wasn’t a good situation. He wasn’t the right guy for the job.”

Another source said, “Being one of only 32 makes it attractive — and the money.”

Two sources predicted Tuesday that Chris Ballard, the Chiefs director of player personnel, will be the hottest GM candidate after the season. He was the leading contender for the Bucs job after last season, but declined to be interviewed because he would not have final say. That belonged to new head coach Lovie Smith. Ballard and Smith had worked together in Chicago.

Ballard was a scout for the Bears from 2000-2011 and was their director of pro scouting in 2012. He has extensive experience in personnel. That’s what Johnson needs. Coaches make a huge difference in the NFL, but it’s still all about the players, specifically the quarterback.

chiefs-pioli-football.jpgJOE MAHONEY/AP

Scott Pioli will have learned from his four years as the Chiefs general manager.

Chiefs general manager John Dorsey called Ballard “a tremendous talent evaluator.” Eric DeCosta, the Ravens assistant GM, has been in demand, but he is the heir apparent to GM Ozzie Newsome and it will be hard to get him out of Baltimore.

Bill Polian, the former GM of the Bills, Panthers and Colts, was not interested in the Jets job before Idzik was hired, and there’s no reason to believe he’d be interested now. Polian, a candidate for the 2015 Hall of Fame, is currently working for ESPN.

If Johnson goes for a candidate with experience, I think Scott Pioli, the assistant GM in Atlanta, is the best choice. He will have learned from his four years (2009-12) as the Chiefs GM.

Pioli, who is Bill Parcells’ son-in-law, worked for the Jets from 1997-1999. He will be better the second time around as a GM.

He was just 23-41 in K.C. and his coaching hires — Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel — didn’t work out. He did win the AFC West in 2010, but was fired after a 2-14 season in 2012.

Andy Reid immediately turned that around to 11-5 last year. The core of his team was Pioli’s players plus Reid’s trade for quarterback Alex Smith. Pioli drafted four players who made the Pro Bowl last season for the Chiefs: safety Eric Berry, defensive tackle Dontari Poe, linebacker Justin Houston and kick returner-running back Dexter McCluster.

He was Bill Belichick’s right-hand man with the Patriots from 2000-08 and was responsible for many of New England’s draft picks that helped the Pats win three Super Bowls.

Idzik drafted Sheldon Richardson, who was voted defensive rookie of the year last year, but he’s the only impact player among the 19 players he’s drafted in two years. He hasn’t signed an impact free agent. He has revamped the Jets roster in less than two seasons — he’s brought in 33 of the 53 players on the active roster and all five players now on injured reserve. That’s 65.55%, a huge turnover in such a short period.

“Woody just wants for the Jets to stop being a laughingstock in the city,” one source said. “He’s tired of it.”

Then hire a football man to make football decisions.

I mentioned Pioli's name in another post. He would be a good hire. He has Jets roots (at least Parcells/Belichick roots) and has done scouting which is something John Idzik has not done.

His record with young players is abysmal. I'm not sure how you can conclude otherwise.

According to years of anti-Rex agenda I have read that he has nothing to do with the offensive side of the ball - so your entire argument rests on Coples and Wilson.  I would not call Coples, Harrison, Davis, Allen, Jarrett, Walls abysmal.  Coples and WIlson are the only two I can think of doing worse than draft/FA position would indicate.  I suppose you could blame him for Dimitri Patterson, but that is moronic IMO.  

The offense is another matter entirely and the bulk of the reason the guy has to go. 

According to years of anti-Rex agenda I have read that he has nothing to do with the offensive side of the ball - so your entire argument rests on Coples and Wilson. I would not call Coples, Harrison, Davis, Allen, Jarrett, Walls abysmal. Coples and WIlson are the only two I can think of doing worse than draft/FA position would indicate. I suppose you could blame him for Dimitri Patterson, but that is moronic IMO.

The offense is another matter entirely and the bulk of the reason the guy has to go.

This is not your finest work, sir.

Dallas seems to be doing ok, though.

He's actually a decent example of what Rex is, absolutely brilliant with a couple things on one side of the ball, but just overwhelmed when he has to manage all 3 facets of the game. Even managed to be a stealthy recruiter at UN, but when game day hit he just couldn't hack it.

I mentioned Pioli's name in another post. He would be a good hire. He has Jets roots (at least Parcells/Belichick roots) and has done scouting which is something John Idzik has not done.

He wouldn't be a bad choice. I just worry that he'd bring in another Belichick lieutenant to coach the team.

Next year's roster is far from "rock bottom." Everyone is overreacting because the team was unprepared to play against Buffalo, after a Bye Week, which is a Rex Ryan staple.

....and so it begins. The you guys are impatient and overreacting posts.  The just relax folks, this is par for the plan. It was to be expected.

No interest in Pioli, but I'd certainly be open to Ballard. Jets need a GM with expertise in his general job description: stocking an NFL roster with talent.

Just curious, why no interest in Pioli? He is a proven commodity and a great talent evaluator, something the Jets haven't had in more than a decade.

Personally, the Jets couldn't go wrong with either Pioli or Ballard. Both are huge upgrades over the current bean counter.

Buffalo was going nowhere this year until they changed QB's just sayin- again it comes down to can you get competent QB play

Come on faba, what do you think the Jets record would be with Orton instead of Geno and Vick? It would be 2-6 at best.

The Bills 53-man roster is far superior than the Jets, especially the defense.

Come on faba, what do you think the Jets record would be with Orton instead of Geno and Vick? It would be 2-6 at best.

The Bills 53-man roster is far superior than the Jets, especially the defense.

With EJ Manuel the Bills were just as bad as the Jets

Pioli? This is a joke, right? The guy who is part of the "brain trust" in Atlanta that took a team that was 5 mins. away from the Super Bowl to one of the 5 worst teams in the NFL? That is so f**ked up that they are rumored to be interested in Rex? Please, things are bad enough in Jetland without this kind of nonsense.

Pioli? This is a joke, right? The guy who is part of the "brain trust" in Atlanta that took a team that was 5 mins. away from the Super Bowl to one of the 5 worst teams in the NFL? That is so f**ked up that they are rumored to be interested in Rex? Please, things are bad enough in Jetland without this kind of nonsense.

Pioli was just hired by Atlanta in January.

As an assistant GM.

Yup, it could be a good fit for Pioli and the Jets. Woody just has to make it happen. Offer him a deal he can't refuse. I am not sure whether he would take job or not. But a big part of me thinks he would because there is no place to go but up and because if he was so aligned with BB and Kraft, he would be back there right now like McDaniels is. What's your take on that?

Yup, it could be a good fit for Pioli and the Jets. Woody just has to make it happen. Offer him a deal he can't refuse. I am not sure whether he would take job or not. But a big part of me thinks he would because there is no place to go but up and because if he was so aligned with BB and Kraft, he would be back there right now like McDaniels is. What's your take on that?

Woody would want him just because of his connection to Parcells.

I think he could do a good job here.

I might be biased here, because I have always been a huge Pioli fan, and was pissed when he left the Pats.

With that said, BB has always called the shots in NE and I think he viewed Pioli as a threat to his control. Who will Kraft side with, BB or Scott Pioli?

BTW, Pioli was a huge proponent of using a 6th round pick on Tom Brady.

Next year's roster is far from "rock bottom." Everyone is overreacting because the team was unprepared to play against Buffalo, after a Bye Week, which is a Rex Ryan staple.

Not to be a stickler but that was not a bye week, just a longer week cause we played on thursday the week before.  the next time we play buffalo is actually the week after the bye so i cant wait to see what that score will look like.

back on topic i would love ballard.  the roster in kansas city has been great the last few years. guy knows talent. pioli i would be skeptical of, but he is prolly better then idzik.  the crown jewel tho would be DeCosta.

Archived