Browns are 5-3 and media is still trying to push the Browns into starting Manziel

CobraVerde

To play devil's advocate, they are in a tough spot. Pettine has done a great job making them competitive and in the hunt for a playoff spot, but it's also obvious that this isn't their year. If they don't play Manziel, it only makes things harder, because there will be no basis for weighing how to handle things going forward. No teams are going to reimburse them for what they originally paid for Manziel with the way things currently stand, and Hoyer's financial leverage only increases with each start.

To play devil's advocate, they are in a tough spot. Pettine has done a great job making them competitive and in the hunt for a playoff spot, but it's also obvious that this isn't their year. If they don't play Manziel, it only makes things harder, because there will be no basis for weighing how to handle things going forward. No teams are going to reimburse them for what they originally paid for Manziel with the way things currently stand, and Hoyer's financial leverage only increases with each start.

I actually think Shanny Jr. has been the one to really shine there.

you guys act like Hoyer didn't do horrible in that loss to the Jags

You act like Jets QBs haven't been horrible every year forever... Hoyer might be the best veteran we can get our hands on next year, while we wait for our rookie QB to be developed at the right pace. 

The media is right.

There's no way Cleveland can stave off the Ravens, Chargers, or Dolphins for a wildcard spot and no way they'd survive the Patriots, Colts, or Broncos if they got in with Hoyer.

So might as well roll the dice that this fringe-team might become stellar with a better QB, and it's not like they're not going to make him the starter there eventually, might as well be now. Better to try to go 11-5 with Johnny Football then knowingly go 10-6 or 9-7 with Hoyer. Hoyer can't win a championship, Manziel might, that's the difference.

SAR I

The media is right.There's no way Cleveland can stave off the Ravens, Chargers, or Dolphins for a wildcard spot and no way they'd survive the Patriots, Colts, or Broncos if they got in with Hoyer.So might as well roll the dice that this fringe-team might become stellar with a better QB, and it's not like they're not going to make him the starter there eventually, might as well be now. Better to try to go 11-5 with Johnny Football then knowingly go 10-6 or 9-7 with Hoyer. Hoyer can't win a championship, Manziel might, that's the difference.SAR I

That's a ridiculously confident statement.

The media is right.

There's no way Cleveland can stave off the Ravens, Chargers, or Dolphins for a wildcard spot and no way they'd survive the Patriots, Colts, or Broncos if they got in with Hoyer.

So might as well roll the dice that this fringe-team might become stellar with a better QB, and it's not like they're not going to make him the starter there eventually, might as well be now. Better to try to go 11-5 with Johnny Football then knowingly go 10-6 or 9-7 with Hoyer. Hoyer can't win a championship, Manziel might, that's the difference.

SAR I

First part of this is probably true.  Second part is pure crap. 

First part of this is probably true.  Second part is pure crap.

No it's not. It's just the known vs. the unknown.

Hoyer isn't going to win a playoff game. Manziel might. But big picture I don't think Cleveland is going anywhere anyway, just like everyone else in the AFC no one goes anywhere until Brady and Manning die, Johnny Football is going to get a few seasons to start, why not get the growing pains over with right now -or- try to get into the playoffs and make some noise?

SAR I

Hoyer isn't going to win a playoff game. Manziel might. But big picture I don't think Cleveland is going anywhere anyway, just like everyone else in the AFC no one goes anywhere until Brady and Manning die, Johnny Football is going to get a few seasons to start, why not get the growing pains over with right now -or- try to get into the playoffs and make some noise?

SAR I

Again I agree the AFC is a dead man walking until Brady and Peyton stop.  I just don;t understand why anyone would think Manziel has any better chance than Hoyer to win a playoff game.  Hoyer was better than Manziel in camp or Manziel would be starting.  Nothing could have pleased Cleveland more to have Johnny Football ready this year.  If he wasn't ready then why would he be ready now? 

You act like Jets QBs haven't been horrible every year forever... Hoyer might be the best veteran we can get our hands on next year, while we wait for our rookie QB to be developed at the right pace. 

true but I'm sure Hoyer has heard the rumors about how awful the Jets are 

SAR I

But I though understanding reality and planning for the future is a fireable offense in the NFL.  And I thought you have to try and win a Super Bowl every year or you shouldn't have a job.  You have to make bad decisions for the long-term of the organization so you can hope to sneak into the playoffs with 9 or 10 wins forever, but never have a legitimate shot a championship.  I thought you're not allowed to rebuild - you have to spend your entire salary cap and overpay for mediocre free agents just so the media and fan base are happy...

At least that's what I thought.

But I though understanding reality and planning for the future is a fireable offense in the NFL.  And I thought you have to try and win a Super Bowl every year or you shouldn't have a job.  You have to make bad decisions for the long-term of the organization so you can hope to sneak into the playoffs with 9 or 10 wins forever, but never have a legitimate shot a championship.  I thought you're not allowed to rebuild - you have to spend your entire salary cap and overpay for mediocre free agents just so the media and fan base are happy...

At least that's what I thought.

All I'm saying, pretty simple, is this:

In a year when a rebuilding team has a very slight shot at a wildcard and zero shot at a Super Bowl, start the first rounder you've invested so heavily in because he's your future anyway and he might be so incredible that you can catch lightning in a bottle and make some postseason noise. You know the ceiling of the QB you've got now, you don't know the ceiling of the other guy.

SAR I

All I'm saying, pretty simple, is this:

In a year when a rebuilding team has a very slight shot at a wildcard and zero shot at a Super Bowl, start the first rounder you've invested so heavily in because he's your future anyway and he might be so incredible that you can catch lightning in a bottle and make some postseason noise. You know the ceiling of the QB you've got now, you don't know the ceiling of the other guy.

SAR I

I don't disagree with this at all.  What's better for the Browns as an organization right now is to play Johnny Football and see what he has so you can make an educated decision after the season on how to move forward with your organization....

And all I'm saying is, Cleveland could do this and get away with it...If the Jets tried anything like that the entire fan base and media would be up in arms ready to fire to GM, fire coach, clean out the scouting department and crucify the owner.

I don't disagree with this at all.  What's better for the Browns as an organization right now is to play Johnny Football and see what he has so you can make an educated decision after the season on how to move forward with your organization....

And all I'm saying is, Cleveland could do this and get away with it...If the Jets tried anything like that the entire fan base and media would be up in arms ready to fire to GM, fire coach, clean out the scouting department and crucify the owner.

Agree completely.

SAR I

I think they are waiting to see if Hoyer will implode before making the decision, but they aren't in a rush to start Manziel, he's not making the first round pick money that previous first rounders were.

Being verbally bitchslapped by the owner probably didn't help his cause either. 

Hoyer is who they thought he was when they drafted Manziel. Nothing more, nothing less. He played competently before the injury. Manziel will be the starter eventually. They have to know that they are not getting very far, if at all, in the playoffs. They should play this season out, accordingly. No one would fault them for that.

Archived