Mike Pettine / Mark Sanchez

Smashmouth

If they both succeed this year , which I suspect they will, what more can we ask for as Jets fans

Personally I hope they both do great just to send a message to Woody the people running his organization for the past 6 years are Idiots

Browns / Bengals game is a big turning point for Mike Pettine I hope he pulls it off since I wanted him as our head coach when Rex was on the block the first Time. Should be interesting when Josh Gordon comes back

Sanchez is another story he has a lot to prove but if he cuts down the stupidity the TD's will come due to the talent surrounding him. If he's patient he will win/

Way to go NY Jets

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they both succeed this year , which I suspect they will, what more can we ask for as Jets fans

Personally I hope they both do great just to send a message to Woody the people running his organization for the past 6 years are Idiots

Browns / Bengals game is a big turning point for Mike Pettine I hope he pulls it off since I wanted him as our head coach when Rex was on the block the first Time. Should be interesting when Josh Gordon comes back

Sanchez is another story he has a lot to prove but if he cuts down the stupidity the TD's will come due to the talent surrounding him. If he's patient he will win/

Way to go NY Jets

Ya In Pettine's case some senile minions here thought Rex was the defensive genius and blamed him for leaks. Some minions should just stick to masterpiece theater

It's crazy how low of a bar Mark has set for everyone, where 2 tds and 2ints is considered the groundwork for jump-starting  a comeback player of the year award.

once again its NOT just about TD's and it really was only 1 Int since the other pass was right on the money and dropped. If a QB leads a drive that ends in a rushing TD I guess that's a failure to you since your so used to Peyton Manning throwing 20  5 yard TD;s per season. Also, no one mentioned comeback player of the year but you . Why you feel the need to come in this thread and call something crazy that was never actually said is pretty funny. No one talked about the first game or the stat line but you :)

Ya In Pettine's case some senile minions here thought Rex was the defensive genius and blamed him for leaks. Some minions should just stick to masterpiece theater

theres a reason Rex dragged Petttine with him to NY and that's probably more of the real story than Rex being some kind of Genius

Show's how bad things are for the Jets when we consider Hoyer a great QB.  He's solid and I'd take him on the Jets in a heartbeat  but far from from great.

if there is one thing the last 30 years of jet fandom has taught me is quit holding out for great at the qb spot. take good enough and ride that horse until it collapses

if rex had hoyer they'd go 19-0

somehow they would be the first undefeated team to have a negative point differential

Hey Buddy - good to see you

Most of those thoughts should have been squelched after Pettine's Buffalo D put a vicious azz beating on us last season as we were working our way towards being the dung pile we are this season.

once again its NOT just about TD's and it really was only 1 Int since the other pass was right on the money and dropped. If a QB leads a drive that ends in a rushing TD I guess that's a failure to you since your so used to Peyton Manning throwing 20  5 yard TD;s per season. Also, no one mentioned comeback player of the year but you . Why you feel the need to come in this thread and call something crazy that was never actually said is pretty funny. No one talked about the first game or the stat line but you :)

Having a QB miss a full year due to injury, then take over a team at midway and lead them to the playoffs is almost the definition of the award, so while it's not mentioned verbatim in this thread, it is in others, it's pretty much inferred.  And no, I don't consider td-ending drives a failure, but he's a player who over the course of a 4-year career as a starter has turned the ball over 18 more times than he's thrown for td passes and we're to assume he's suddenly going to change because he put forth a game where he maintains the status quo and throws for equal interceptions and touchdowns?  He's a nice guy, but there's absolutely nothing about his game that leads me to believe he's rid himself of stupid decisions and quelled his turnover prone ways.

Hey Buddy - good to see you

Most of those thoughts should have been squelched after Pettine's Buffalo D put a vicious azz beating on us last season as we were working our way towards being the dung pile we are this season.

Wouldn't it be something if Pettine gets his team to playoffs this year and becomes a great coach, while Woody kept the Clown. I wish I could give you some good news. New GM new HC and a new QB, looks like 2017 at earliest to contend

Sanchez played one game.  Let's see how he does over these next few weeks.  Just look at Kirk Cousins

Cousins is a bit of a mystery I thought the Kid looked really good early on and he just began to go backwards at one point. Wondering if we can chalk up the Cousins regression to bad coaching and different systems from year to year ... I think Cousins can be a good player in the right situation. I would not be opposed to the Jets going for him or Hoyer this off season if they are available.

Having a QB miss a full year due to injury, then take over a team at midway and lead them to the playoffs is almost the definition of the award, so while it's not mentioned verbatim in this thread, it is in others, it's pretty much inferred.  And no, I don't consider td-ending drives a failure, but he's a player who over the course of a 4-year career as a starter has turned the ball over 18 more times than he's thrown for td passes and we're to assume he's suddenly going to change because he put forth a game where he maintains the status quo and throws for equal interceptions and touchdowns?  He's a nice guy, but there's absolutely nothing about his game that leads me to believe he's rid himself of stupid decisions and quelled his turnover prone ways.

I don't think hes going to change for any reason other than he escaped this asylum ... I always saw talent with Sanchez and always felt he just needed some stability and talent to get him going neither of which the Jets ever came close to providing. Could he fall down on his face ? Sure its very possible but I don't think this time around it will be nearly as bad as it was here, Kelly will see to that IMO

Way to go NY Jets

A lot of fans seem to get concerned with what happens to coaches and players after they leave the Jets. Dude, Carroll, Belichick, Vilma, Farrior, there's tons of former Jets who have gone on to have tons of success and do things they couldn't do here. I even think the D-bag commissioner worked for the Jets at some point.

Once they are gone I say F em'

Other than Sanchez winning a Super Bowl I could care less. I actually hope Pettine does well, all though I don't believe in him. I know the Browns look good, especially tonight... But he's another Rex IMHO.

Back when we fired Tannenbaum, I wanted Rex gone too (or even in lieu of Tannenbaum) and Pettine promoted to HC. I always had a feeling him and Westhoff were the 2 real coaches on the team, while Rex was just the affable buffoon with the 'defensive genius' reputation. I'll always wonder what might have been had we gone a different route...

theres a reason Rex dragged Petttine with him to NY and that's probably more of the real story than Rex being some kind of Genius

I will call you next week.

No, that dress doesn't make you look fat.

Relax, the check is in the mail.

Don't worry, I had a vasectomy.

Rex sure is a defensive mastermind.

Ya In Pettine's case some senile minions here thought Rex was the defensive genius and blamed him for leaks. Some minions should just stick to masterpiece theater

It's true. Pettines D started stinking halfway thru the 2nd and 3rd season. Remember when Rec had to take over the play calling? Yes, the D improved immediately. Pettine is doing well up there but to say Rex isn't a better defensive coach than Pertine is not true.

It was this friction of Rex taking over play calling amongst other things (anonymous sources) that caused the breakup. Pettine was a rat that needed to leave the town. I don't care what his record is with a team that has picked in the top ten for what seems like an eternity. That team was already there, in place with some talent. Which moves did Pettine make that's caused their 6-3 record?

It's crazy how low of a bar Mark has set for everyone, where 2 tds and 2ints is considered the groundwork for jump-starting a comeback player of the year award.

At least it wasn't Vick that set the bar with one completion out of his first 10 attempts.

Way to go NY Jets

who cares about suckchez but i do like pettine and wanted us to fire rex last year and promote pettine.

We definitely were wrong (collectively, of course he had supporters) about Pettine though.  While you never can tell if a guy is going to have sustained success, he seems like the type that will.  He's had success at every level starting with HS football, and has the personality to run a ship. 

Pettine had something to say about every bad streak the Browns have had; he wanted to win a home opener (which they hadn't done since 1999) and they did.  He wanted to end Cleveland's 12-game road losing streak, and they did.  And last night he wanted to end their 17-game road losing streak within the division, and did in a big way.  Mangini tried to change the culture there by forgetting about the past.  Pettine is doing it by acknowledging the past and making the present better. 

It's true. Pettines D started stinking halfway thru the 2nd and 3rd season. Remember when Rec had to take over the play calling? Yes, the D improved immediately. Pettine is doing well up there but to say Rex isn't a better defensive coach than Pertine is not true.

It was this friction of Rex taking over play calling amongst other things (anonymous sources) that caused the breakup. Pettine was a rat that needed to leave the town. I don't care what his record is with a team that has picked in the top ten for what seems like an eternity. That team was already there, in place with some talent. Which moves did Pettine make that's caused their 6-3 record?

pettine is way better than wrecks he proved it last year in bufflao where his defense was ranked 5th and he is proving it this year in cleveland.............face it pettine is waaaaaaaayy better than wrecks.

Archived