Taking Pass on Top Receivers was Idz-iotic

flgreen

NY Jets GM taking pass on top receivers was Idz-iotic

Twelve of the 20 receivers taken in the first four rounds have made meaningful contributions to their teams. Some such as Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams and Allen Robinson were easily attainable by the receiver-needy Jets, who looked the other way.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Thursday, November 6, 2014, 11:33 PM A A A

John Idzik has cut five of the top seven receivers who were in camp, leaving the Jets with a makeshift and largely unproductive group.

The Jets’ many personnel gaffes at cornerback have overshadowed another mistake that helped cripple Rex Ryan’s team: John Idzik somehow botched one of the deepest wide receiver drafts in memory.

In a pass-happy league that has 12 quarterbacks on pace for at least 4,000-yard seasons, the embattled general manager passed up one quality receiver after another before settling on three pedestrian guys who have contributed zilch to the cause.

Twelve of the 20 receivers taken in the first four rounds have made meaningful contributions to their teams. Some such as Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams and Allen Robinson were easily attainable by the receiver-needy Jets, who looked the other way.

The Jets were well-positioned with 12 draft picks, but Idzik wasn’t savvy enough to package any of them to move up. He tried — and failed — to leap-frog the Jaguars for Marqise Lee in the second round. He inexplicably waited until the fourth round before selecting three nobodies who predictably have done nothing this season.

The Jets selected two wide receivers — Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans — in the fourth round before the Steelers grabbed Martavis Bryant. Saunders signed with Seahawks practice squad this week after being cut by the Jets and Cardinals. Evans was arguably the worst Jets receiver in the offseason before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury early in training camp. Idzik drafted Nebraska project Quincy Enunwa (practice-squad fodder) in the sixth round.

The trio has combined for a grand total of zero catches this season.

Six rookie receivers have as many or more touchdowns than Eric Decker.

Bryant, meanwhile, has five touchdowns in the past three games.

“He’s doing some good things,” said Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who is on fire entering Sunday’s game at MetLife Stadium. “He’s still making some rookie mistakes, but he’s getting a chance. He’s a gamer. He gets out on the field and he makes plays. We’ll just keep trying to continue to use him and utilize him and see how his growth keeps going.”

It’s unfathomable how a receiver-needy team with 12 draft choices didn’t land one mediocre player at the position. The 2014 wide receiver class was rich in talent. Although potential stars Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans and Odell Beckham Jr., were out of reach for the Jets, there were many others who could have made an immediate impact.

Six rookie receivers have as many or more touchdowns than Eric Decker. Five rookies have more yards than the Jets’ top wideout. Nine rookies have more yards than Percy Harvin. There are 10 rookies with more yards, and eight with more receptions, than Jeremy Kerley.

It’s no surprise that the Jets have the worst passing offense in the league.

Ryan claimed this summer to have his deepest receiving corps since taking over in 2009.

Please.

Idzik has cut five of the top seven receivers who were in camp, leaving the Jets with a makeshift and largely unproductive group.

“Sometimes you hit and sometimes you miss,” Ryan said Thursday on drafting receivers. “But the effort’s there. There’s no question. . . . You just got to keep firing. There’s no magic formula for it.”

The central issue is Idzik’s lack of scouting experience. If you don’t really know what you’re seeing, you’re at the mercy of the people around you.

The Jets selected two wide receivers — Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans — in the fourth round before the Steelers grabbed Martavis Bryant, who has five TDs in last three games.

The Jets have had a systemic failure in selecting players since Idzik took over. Sheldon Richardson is the lone impact player out of 19 draft picks.

The GM’s inability to properly evaluate talent certainly doesn’t help matters. He might be able to regurgitate information provided by scouts, but he can’t be relied upon to consistently identify and project players. The Jets’ infrastructure isn’t sound enough to overcome the GM’s glaring deficiency.

The opportunity was there to add an impact receiver in the draft.

They predictably blew it.

Idzik does really deserve genuine blame for this reason.

I think the JETS lost the plot from  3rd round onwards. The JETS went needs and somehow whether it was Rex influence on this draft or what but the CB need was felt more than the WR need.  So by Round 4 the JETS were scrambling and on top of that made the absolute worst WR picks. The middle rounds is where the JETS really lost the plot. So yeah that was a HUGE failure. It did set the JETS back by one or two seasons.

But that's not grounds for firing. He did select  Amaro who is still Top 5 in number of catches by a rookie which is not mentioned in the article for some reason. Evans and to a large extent Enunwa have  potential to develop like Allen did on the defensive side. You do hope Idzik correct's course next time around. I am pretty sure the next draft board has a midget multiplier of ZERO built into the equation for deciding the ranking on the JETS draft board.

Saunders was a total farce. I guess we don't really know what we have in Evans, but at least we did get one good pass-catcher out of Amaro (or so it seems).

It sucks coming out of last year's draft with potentially zero receivers. But between Decker and Harvin I don't think it's a big position of need as it was before.

Ryan claimed this summer to have his deepest receiving corps since taking over in 2009.

If this is what Rex is communicating, and what he's socializing within the organization, then 1.) his talent evaluation is laughable, and 2.) it doesn't surprised me that the GM didn't "do enough" if the coach is praising what he's done.

This isn't meant to imply it's Rex's fault... it's really meant to illuminate the fact that these two men working "together" is a debacle. 

If this is what Rex is communicating, and what he's socializing within the organization, then 1.) his talent evaluation is laughable, and 2.) it doesn't surprised me that the GM didn't "do enough" if the coach is praising what he's done.

This isn't meant to imply it's Rex's fault... it's really meant to illuminate the fact that these two men working "together" is a debacle. 

The NFL's Laurel and Hardy.  Only they're serious.

Well, I would not be so sure of that. If the team goes 1-15, someone will have to fall on their sword, and it certainly will not be Rex.

How does this statement make any sense at all? Are you suggesting that Rex would somehow survive a 15 game losing streak?

How does this statement make any sense at all? Are you suggesting that Rex would somehow survive a 15 game losing streak?

Rex is a phenomenal head coach, truly an all time great football mind. You don't let go of guys like Rex for one bad season.

Guys, listen, you cannot determine a draft for 3-4 years after the fact. I would think the Jets fanbase would know this by now.

Well, then we can determine whether Idzik's drafts were good, when we are talking about firing the guy we hire to replace him.

Well, then we can determine whether Idzik's drafts were good, when we are talking about firing the guy we hire to replace him.

That is far too complicated for me. I feel like I am watching one of those Matrix movies reading this post.

He drafted a pass receiving, offensive threat in the 2nd round that seems to be a keeper...having a very good rookie season.

Once again this is media spun nonsense that our ignorant fan base buys into either because they're stupid or just like to hate.

You beat me to the punch.  It's not like I'm a huge fan of Idzik either.  I'd be okay if they fired him or if they kept him another year.  Overall, I like what he's done w/ the salary cap and I like that he keeps picks.  However, it does look (at least so far) like he misfired on more picks than he should have.  In his defense, though, drafting is certainly an inexact science and every team has their share of bad drafts.  I'm hardly giving him a pass though.  He has to be held accountable.  I know he's considered more a salary cap guy than a talent evaluator (which is a big reason I wasn't thrilled when we got him - basically Tanny 2.0) but he still has final say.  Shaq Evans, Quincy Enunwa and Jalen Saunders look like pretty horrible picks right now so, if that holds, it's a huge swing and miss for Idzik and staff.

As far as this article, Idzik did upgrade the WR position by signing Decker.  He also drafted Amaro, who has contributed and seems promising.  He also signed CJ2K who, in theory, should've helped our passing game.  I don't watch a ton of college football but from what I had read/seen, I wanted Brandin Cooks in the 1st round.  However, when I saw Pryor's highlights, I saw the appeal in drafting him.  Having a very hard hitting safety (and a supposedly rising Milliner) to go w/ an excellent front 7 gave us the makings of a dominant D.  We know now that, so far, Pryor hasn't lived up to his billing but it's still too early to definitively judge the guy IMO. 

In theory, a dominant D paired with a potentially competent offense could've been a playoff team.  Remember Seattle's superbowl winning offense last year wasn't dominant (though obviously Russel Wilson is *WAY* better than Geno).  I think that was Idzik's plan.  At 1-8, though, I think it's safe to say it didn't work out.

Idzik does really deserve genuine blame for this reason.

I think the JETS lost the plot from  3rd round onwards. The JETS went needs and somehow whether it was Rex influence on this draft or what but the CB need was felt more than the WR need.  So by Round 4 the JETS were scrambling and on top of that made the absolute worst WR picks. The middle rounds is where the JETS really lost the plot. So yeah that was a HUGE failure. It did set the JETS back by one or two seasons.

But that's not grounds for firing. He did select  Amaro who is still Top 5 in number of catches by a rookie which is not mentioned in the article for some reason. Evans and to a large extent Enunwa have  potential to develop like Allen did on the defensive side. You do hope Idzik correct's course next time around. I am pretty sure the next draft board has a midget multiplier of ZERO built into the equation for deciding the ranking on the JETS draft board.

You're saying this draft set our team back 1 or 2 years... But you are still patient with him??? Did you see that press conference a few weeks ago? This dude is lost, and if we keep him no quality coach will sign with a team that has a GM on the chopping block.

I was a HUGE Idzik defender, and in some ways he got a raw deal. But he accepted a GM job with a failing coach handcuffed to the franchise. He let 20 million sit in the bank while leaving gaping holes on the roster. That might fly in the Pacific Northwest, but in NYC you have to be a bit more savvy PR wise.

He's WAY over his head.

In theory, a dominant D paired with a potentially competent offense could've been a playoff team. Remember Seattle's superbowl winning offense last year wasn't dominant (though obviously Russel Wilson is *WAY* better than Geno). I think that was Idzik's plan. At 1-8, though, I think it's safe to say it didn't work out.

In theory we'd definitely be good if we had better players on offense and defense, with good coaching. I wish there was somebody to hold accountable.

Saunders was a total farce. I guess we don't really know what we have in Evans, but at least we did get one good pass-catcher out of Amaro (or so it seems).

It sucks coming out of last year's draft with potentially zero receivers. But between Decker and Harvin I don't think it's a big position of need as it was before.

Cooks is essentially Harvin but much cheaper. We could have had him instead of a safety who can't cover

Archived