Is a team like the Detroit Lions built the correct way?

Matt39

We're all concerned about the Jets being built that creates a pattern of "sustainable success" or whatever....we have the dline like the Lions do. Would a change to a coach with zero personality help this team in any way?

Can the Lions win a Super Bowl? Random thread I guess.

We're all concerned about the Jets being built that creates a pattern of "sustainable success" or whatever....we have the dline like the Lions do. Would a change to a coach with zero personality help this team in any way?

Can the Lions win a Super Bowl? Random thread I guess.

I think they're at their best a year too early. They're DL is the best in the NFL, they're secondary is solid as well. They're offense can use some work though, another year with Stafford, Tate and Ebron getting used to each other would be enormous, not to mention Megatron, but I think they will fall short this year. Although, if they beat the Packers again in similar fashion, I'd second guess this whole post.

If they fall short this year, I think they'll continue to do so, Suh leaving next year will be a pretty big loss for them.

Jets can't draft and consistently win meaningless games at the end of seasons to lose out on draft position. It's like a wheel of mediocrity.

Never good enough. Never bad enough. Detroit goes 0-16 and lands Stafford. We do sh*t like win meaningless games in Kansas City so we can get stuck with Vernon Gholston. Pyrrhic victories FTW

Jets can't draft and consistently win meaningless games at the end of seasons to lose out on draft position. It's like a wheel of mediocrity.

Ive always wanted us to do that. IF you suck bad enough you get Megatron. We draft corners in the teens,

I don't see them holding onto the divisional lead, and dome teams don't traditionally do well at stringing together consecutive road wins in the postseason.  Though if the Saints win the NFC South and they can draw the Cardinals in the Divisional round (the 2 best "weather destinations" of the playoff contenders aside from Dallas) that might be doable.

Overall they seem to know what they're doing.

And when Rex is a defensive coordinator next year, Pac and JIF will be celebrating Rex being carried off the field.

The next coach can get the Jets off to a 5-2 start next year, and the usual suspects will be talking about the new coach winning with the team Rex built.

Depends on how you describe their history.  Here's my version:

Suck a year - get players

suck again - get megatron

suck more - until a draft-topping QB comes around.

Hope the QB isn't a bust.

I'm still not 100% on stafford.  He does good things, but did you see last week?   The Lions D gets a pick runs it to the 20.  On their *first* play, Stafford throws his OWN pick.  That's Lions football -- get a break, then turn it over on the first play.

As for the Jets, I don't think we can pull it off.  We can't suck even this ONE year without the fanbase completely shi**ting the bed.  How could we ever suck long enough to build a team with that many weapons?

Depends on how you describe their history. Here's my version:

Suck a year - get players

suck again - get megatron

suck more - until a draft-topping QB comes around.

Hope the QB isn't a bust.

I'm still not 100% on stafford. He does good things, but did you see last week? The Lions D gets a pick runs it to the 20. First play, Stafford throw his OWN pick. crazy.

As for the Jets, I don't think we can pull it off. We can't suck even this ONE year without the fanbase completely shi**ting the bed. How could we ever suck long enough to build a team with that many weapons?

The Jets might want to try nailing their picks when they draft in the top 10.

The last 3 yielded Gholston, Sanchez and Milliner.

Kinda crazy what hitting on a couple of really high draft picks can do for a franchise, right? What a concept.

it only took the Lions like 50 tries at drafting a star WR to nail it with Calvin

funny how I was telling people on jet nation Calvin was the best before 90% of the forum realized.  smh.

This notion that we need to lose out in order to be good in the future is silly. And please don't compare our situation to the Colts when they tanked.  The core of their team was older, and the glue that held it all together (Peyton) was gone.  They not only dumped the coaching staff after that season, they dumped most of their roster as well.  When that's your plan, losing out isn't as big a deal.

The Jets actually have a core of solid young players. You don't want to show these guys that losing is acceptable.  

And besides, having the top pick doesn't guarantee that you'll be selecting a great player. How many times in our history have we drafted a sh*tty player, and missed out on a guy who was much better?

- The Jets could have had Dan Marino, but instead took Ken O'Brien.

- The Jets could have had Warren Sapp, but instead took Kyle Brady.

- The Jets could have had Ed Reed, but instead took Bryan Thomas.

- The Jets could have had Alshon Jeffery, but instead took Stephen Hill.

- The Jets could have had Kelvin Bejamin, but instead took Calvin Pryor.

We don't suck because of where we pick in the draft.  We suck because we don't draft well.

Replace our coach and front office with competent people, and it won't matter where we pick.

This notion that we need to lose out in order to be good in the future is silly. And please don't compare our situation to the Colts when they tanked.  The core of their team was older, and the glue that held it all together (Peyton) was gone.  They not only dumped the coaching staff after that season, they dumped most of their roster as well.  When that's your plan, losing out isn't as big a deal.

The Jets actually have a core of solid young players. You don't want to show these guys that losing is acceptable.  

And besides, having the top pick doesn't guarantee that you'll be selecting a great player. How many times in our history have we drafted a sh*tty player, and missed out on a guy who was much better?

- The Jets could have had Warren Sapp, but instead took Kyle Brady.

- The Jets could have had Ed Reed, but instead took Bryan Thomas.

- The Jets could have had Alshon Jeffery, but instead took Stephen Hill.

- The Jets could have had Kelvin Bejamin, but instead took Calvin Pryor.

We don't suck because of where we pick in the draft.  We suck because we don't draft well.

Replace our coach and front office with competent people, and it won't matter where we pick.

Ab-so-fukking-lutely.

it only took the Lions like 50 tries at drafting a star WR to nail it with Calvin

funny how I was telling people on jet nation Calvin was the best before 90% of the forum realized.  smh.

Better than Cotchery?

This notion that we need to lose out in order to be good in the future is silly. And please don't compare our situation to the Colts when they tanked. The core of their team was older, and the glue that held it all together (Peyton) was gone. They not only dumped the coaching staff after that season, they dumped most of their roster as well. When that's your plan, losing out isn't as big a deal.

- The Jets could have had Warren Sapp, but instead took Kyle Brady.

- The Jets could have had Ed Reed, but instead took Bryan Thomas.

- The Jets could have had Alshon Jeffery, but instead took Stephen Hill.

- The Jets could have had Kelvin Bejamin, but instead took Calvin Pryor.

We don't suck because of where we pick in the draft. We suck because we don't draft well.

It's both draft position and poor drafting. The winning culture thing is not built through bullsh*t like winning a meaningless game in december. We won three of our last four games last year, that sure made our team better this year and next year, right? Geno rolled out guns blazing this year? Winters turned the corner, right?

It's simple value lost, look at what the Rams got for RGIII in that trade. The Rams don't get those assets by winning meaningless games in December. Draft position everywhere suffers not just in the first round. Of course, if the Jets drafted better position matters less, but they've proven that they're awful at assessing talent.

Archived