JetNation Sits Down With FireJohnIdzik.com

JetNation

The Fire John Idzik brigade might be armed with airplane banners, billboards, and penalty flags calling for the ouster of Jets general manager John Idzik. But it now has some competition for the hearts and minds of Jets fans. Introducing the Keep John Idzik movement, which is cranking up the heat outside Sunday's game against the Patriots by handing out 200 commemorative pieces of paper (!) like the one seen above. And, as we all know, nothing gets people's attention like a counter-protest that's packing commemorative pieces of paper.

Dom Cosentino may be reached at dcosentino@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @domcosentino. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/12/and_now_some_jets_fans_have_started_a_keep_john_idzik_movement.html

Did NJ.com really run that? About someone giving out 200 pieces of paper? LOL - wow.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slats wrote the best post as to why this movement is essential. If you guys can't see it or disagree with it then there is another reason, I tend to think that it's jealousy, that YOU didn't think of it or the only other possible conclusions one can draw from the naysayers are that

A:YOU guys think that nothing is wrong, and that Woody Johnson is doing the best that he can do

B; that Idzik should stay,

C: that Rex should stay

D: it is just a case of bad luck.

The obvious seems to escape Woody.

Since he's owned the team, he's never done a complete house cleaning. Tannenbaum lingered from the Parcells years. Bradway started with Herm, took a "demotion," and seemingly can't be fired because he's never in the office. They forced Schottenheimer on Rex. Kept Tanny when they fired Mangini. Forced Rex on the next GM candidate. The way he's been doing business has led to a lot of years of treading water. He needs to do something different. I doubt that he would without a public campaign to get him to do just that. I still don't know if it's gonna happen.

I'm hoping they can get a guy in here who's good enough -powerful enough, famous enough, whatever- that Woody can hand him the keys and gets out of the way.

I think woody has always been a "find the media/fan scapegoat guy" but never looks at the big picture.  I think in 2005 it was always going to be Bradway getting the demotion and he planned on keeping Herm until Herm backdoored his own way out (thankfully) which clearly infuriated Woody.  Mangini got the ax in 2008 to appease the fanbase more than anything. Same with Tannenbaum in 2012.

Problem is if Rex is the guy designated the fall guy the fans and media will revolt. Its basically going to be 8 months of negative talk about the team and a lot of empty seats in the upper bowl. That press conference made Rex the sympathetic figure and Idzik the incompetent guy. I also think the reason Woody has such a difficult time letting the whole group go is because this is his football brain. Bradway, Tannenbaum, even Rex... Those are the guys that are Woodys football people.  The rest of his "inner circle" is financial and marketing people. Losing Tannenbaum took 25% of Woody's football acumen away. 

You guys interviewed the antagonists that put Woody over the edge to finally ban tailgating. This is like when Time gave Man of the Year to the Ayatollah

hahaha… of all of the dumb things that we are being accused of, you win the award for the dumbest. Please private message me your address. I would like to send you a t-shirt.

Lol... Love the keep idzik movement. Free speech and people finally doing something to show their support for him. It sure will be an interesting contrast with 15000 yellow towels and 200 pieces of paper.

What would be worse is that all the patriot fans there wave the pieces of paper, that would be embarrassing and "cute" enough to get placed on tv. Sort of like the "Go red sox and take the pats with you" signs in the early 80s that was plastered up here.  I am so surprised that they did not print up paper bags to wear. 

I haven't seen anybody who isn't vociferously anti-Idzik running around calling stuff a movement. Which like everything else about the way you guys are presenting your position isn't doing it any favors.

I think everybody should go to game dressed as unknown comic whether you for or against idziot, Rex, mm, woody, etc..

that being said ...............the towels were invisible on TV

There were there in the stadium, but people weren't waving them. You could see people walking around with them. But it didn't have a "terrible towel" kind of impact.

it didnt work.

I am not sure how to measure the success of something like this. I do know that as long as Idzik is fired, that is okay. That is the only grade I care about, and I want John Idzik to walk away with a big fat F.

We take responsibility for not organizing a specific time to wave them... There were 15,000 towels in there and they generated a huge buzz in the parking lot. Security allowed us to freely hand them out in the lot and we gave them all away in less than an hour. Two groups of tailgaters refused the towels and said that they support Idzik. Other than that, people were running towards us to get them.

Inside the stadium, there were probably around 50,000 fans. 20-25,000 of which were Pats fans. Of the 25,000 or so Jets fans, over half of them had towels. Between the closeness of the game and the overall apathy from fans trying to decide whether or not to be cheering for anything, it was just a very difficult thing to pull off.

But the fact that they weren't all being waved on tv doesn't mean that it was in any way a bust. We captured the pulse of the Jets fan and 98% of the 20,000+ Jets fans we met today want Idzik gone. That is no small sample size.

I understand that. We definitely should have organized a specific time to wave them. We assumed that once we got them in everybody's hands, it would take care of itself but that was an error. At this point, things are so disjointed at MetLife that the fans can't even start a "J-E-T-S" chant anymore.

But again - no excuses from us. It is 100% our fault for not being more specific about what to do with the towels. However, the point was certainly made. Even Ray Lucas said in the postgame show how shocked he was at the number of towels he saw.

We take responsibility for not organizing a specific time to wave them... There were 15,000 towels in there and they generated a huge buzz in the parking lot. Security allowed us to freely hand them out in the lot and we gave them all away in less than an hour. Two groups of tailgaters refused the towels and said that they support Idzik. Other than that, people were running towards us to get them.

Inside the stadium, there were probably around 50,000 fans. 20-25,000 of which were Pats fans. Of the 25,000 or so Jets fans, over half of them had towels. Between the closeness of the game and the overall apathy from fans trying to decide whether or not to be cheering for anything, it was just a very difficult thing to pull off.

But the fact that they weren't all being waved on tv doesn't mean that it was in any way a bust. We captured the pulse of the Jets fan and 98% of the 20,000+ Jets fans we met today want Idzik gone. That is no small sample size.

I think you guys accomplished a lot. But I don't agree with your numbers at all. There was a lot of Pats fans, but it wasn't anything close to a 50/50 split.

what do you think the split was? Sure seemed to be about half Pats fans… maybe 30,000 Jets/20,000 Pats?

I am not sure. I was trying to find the official attendance. It used to be easier to find.

But imo the worst case scenario was 70% Jets \ 30% Pats.

Archived