Bowles

NCJETSFAN

I'm thinking we tape Bowles to a chair here and hammer out the deal. Too much smoke has suddenly surrounded the Quinn hire, and beyond those two, them other assholes we looked at are all "no thanks" material.

I still would have preferred Adam Gase, but Bowles is the best defensive hire IMO.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Bowles is hired which I think is going to happen with everything else we'll have a dual press conference about it.  Like someone else posted I think the Jets fear Quinn might leave them and go elsewhere.  I'm hearing of a rumor that makes sense.  Quinn to Denver with Kyle Shanahan and Mike joining the front office.  If true nice move by Elway.

Bowles apparently likes Chan Gailey or Freddie Kitchens as his OC. If anything the Post's headlines with Kitchens would be good for a few laughs.

Interesting. Kitchens was in Dallas with Parcells & Bowles in '06 and is now AZ QB coach. Ex-Bama QB.

Starting to think as Kirwan said a week ago that Bowles is the guy, and maybe all the Quinn stuff was a smokescreen. I hope Bowles brings an aggressive approach to offense, but I liked Quinn because I think simpler schemes work better in the current NFL

The one thing we know is that we really have no idea what's going on and neither does the media.  I get the sense Woody, Cass and Wolf are playing this one close to the vest.

There have now been 3 guys - mentioned, by various media sources, to be the Jets sure fire hire.

These media guys no longer have any repercussions for being wrong - they take a guess, reference an anonymous source, state it as fact - and hope they're right.  If they're right they have the inside knowledge.  If they're wrong nobody cares...

Mike-Caldwell.jpg

I think you have to look at it like this... we'll never know who our first choice was.

If Bowles and Quinn are 1A and 1B, you take Bowles now. Why? Because we can steal him out from under the Falcons; because we lose if we're getting into a tug of war with Denver, Atlanta and San Fran; because hiring Bowles isn't also contingent upon hiring Kyle Shanahan.

I have absolutely no problem with either Bowles or Quinn becoming our next HC. I have had a sense that we liked Bowles a lot, given how we heard NOTHING about how his interview went, while we heard about every other one. The ones that matter always seem to get played close to the vest. 

I also think we legitimately have Tannenbaum being Quinn's agent working against us in that situation. Which is total bullsh*t, but we're talking about Roger Goofell's NFL here, so yeah... 

I had a devious thought.  Could Quinn have let more than one team know through back channels that they were his first choice?  That way he would have at least one good option after the SB, more than likely.  There seem to be more than a few teams sitting tight at the moment.

I hope they make him an offer.  I think is the most solid candidate.

I look at him as 1B, but when you consider he did more with less in Arizona, he may deserve to be 1A.

Tannenaum is no longer Quinn's agent.

Formality, he's not the acting agent. He is still going to garner compensation when his client gets a HC gig, and he's certainly not going to be a fan of Quinn going to a rival of his new team. The whole "Fox declined the Jets" thing was such an obvious defamation play by Tanny, he wants his client to end up with ATL or Denver, he's taking the easy opportunities to paint the Jets job to look worse, he knows his client is getting hired, so now it's about placing him in the most self-serving situation for Tanny, which is not with the Jets. Let's not forget what a scheister Tanny was.

I think the fact that they jumped ahead of Atlanta means Bowles is the guy they really want.  

Agreed.

All good points, I just hope being around Arians exposed him to the importance of offense .

I think coaching defense would be enough to expose him to the importance of offense. Rex was an anomaly, there are plenty of defensive-minded coaches that value and have good offenses. Look at Zimmer, he hired Norval. Pete Carroll's offense is excellent. Belichick. Marvin Lewis. Just look around the league... Rex was a headcase neglecting offense the way he did.

We'll see where these Bowles rumors go, at this point I doubt everything these

reporters are "tweeting" out.  I had Quinn and Bowles at the top of my list from

the beginning so I'm fine with either one.  I'm sure there will be people that

"bash" the team because "they didn't get their first choice".  But we don't know

how the search team ranked the candidates.  On top of that what if Maccagnan came

in and said he wanted to hire Bowles.  Are we now going to complain because the

GM actually selected his own coach???

You know there'll be a contingency of people that convinced themselves that 1.) our GM should choose the coach, 2.) the coach should be Quinn, 3.) we didn't get a good GM because he didn't have Quinn as #1 and/or couldn't get him. I hate our fans sometimes.

Starting to think as Kirwan said a week ago that Bowles is the guy, and maybe all the Quinn stuff was a smokescreen. I hope Bowles brings an aggressive approach to offense, but I liked Quinn because I think simpler schemes work better in the current NFL

In hindsight, the very fact that we interviewed Bowles, Marrone, Quinn and some others, and we heard buzz about every one of them - except Bowles, tells me that's the guy they probably liked.

No problem with that, I prefer Bowles over Quinn. Could live with either. I prefer Bowles because he is not coming from under the shadows.

I'll be fine with either. I've been flip flopping on the daily on which I prefer. In the end either will get my stamp of approval. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/158555/a-players-perspective-on-falcons-coaching-candidate-todd-bowles

Last season, Bowles' defense ranked sixth in the NFL in yards allowed per game, and first against the run, while allowing the fewest yards in team history for a 16-game season (1,351). This past season, the Cardinals were 24th in yards allowed per game and 13th in rushing yards allowed, but still made a quite an impact on a playoff team. Bowles’ crew boasted the league’s fifth-best scoring defense (18.7 ppg.) and third-best red-zone percentage (43.9 percent). 

Bowles is known for his aggressive approach. 

"Oh yeah, Coach Bowles is a very aggressive guy," Johnson said. "He loves the fact that he has guys on the back end that he can trust in certain situations. I think every game we were in this year that was close and we were on the field to win the game, it was a zero blitz. It got to the point that we’d be laughing on the field, because the middle linebacker would be waiting on the call and we’d be like, 'What you waiting on the call for? We know what it’s going to be. Just go ahead and make it. Just go ahead and get lined up.' 

"He’s very aggressive, but at the same time, he knows how to mix it up because teams have learned that he’s a very aggressive guy. He’s just very smart about how he brings his pressures." 

Johnson called Bowles a "players' coach" and put a little context behind the label. He recalled getting burned by Eagles receiver Jordan Matthews on a third-and-12 play for 23 yards back in Week 8. 

"We were in zero coverage and I let Matthews beat me across my face," Johnson explained. "I came to the sideline and the DBs coach was out of his mind going crazy. Then Coach Bowles comes up to me and says, 'Hey man, I saw him give you the stick for the outside move. If he beat you on the out, that’s my fault. I put you in a position to play it from inside-out. Just don’t bite on the outside move.' And I was like, 'OK, Coach, I got you.' 

"He tells me he made the call and put me in that position. You’ve got to respect that." 

That’s not to say Bowles goes around absorbing blame for every misstep. 

"It’s not like he’s going to let you slide," Johnson said. "He’s definitely going to let you know when you’ve done something wrong. I think the one thing we respect most is that he treats everyone the same. Whether you’re an All-Pro or a rookie, when we came in and watched film, he didn’t hold back in saying something to the All-Pro. 

"He’s straight-forward and honest. And he's been able to take the personnel that he has and know how to put them in positions to exercise their strengths. If you can’t do something, he’s not going to call on you to do it. He’s really good at putting schemes together to make his guys successful. He's definitely a great coach."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/158555/a-players-perspective-on-falcons-coaching-candidate-todd-bowles

Last season, Bowles' defense ranked sixth in the NFL in yards allowed per game, and first against the run, while allowing the fewest yards in team history for a 16-game season (1,351). This past season, the Cardinals were 24th in yards allowed per game and 13th in rushing yards allowed, but still made a quite an impact on a playoff team. Bowles’ crew boasted the league’s fifth-best scoring defense (18.7 ppg.) and third-best red-zone percentage (43.9 percent).

Bowles is known for his aggressive approach.

"Oh yeah, Coach Bowles is a very aggressive guy," Johnson said. "He loves the fact that he has guys on the back end that he can trust in certain situations. I think every game we were in this year that was close and we were on the field to win the game, it was a zero blitz. It got to the point that we’d be laughing on the field, because the middle linebacker would be waiting on the call and we’d be like, 'What you waiting on the call for? We know what it’s going to be. Just go ahead and make it. Just go ahead and get lined up.'

"He’s very aggressive, but at the same time, he knows how to mix it up because teams have learned that he’s a very aggressive guy. He’s just very smart about how he brings his pressures."

Johnson called Bowles a "players' coach" and put a little context behind the label. He recalled getting burned by Eagles receiver Jordan Matthews on a third-and-12 play for 23 yards back in Week 8.

"We were in zero coverage and I let Matthews beat me across my face," Johnson explained. "I came to the sideline and the DBs coach was out of his mind going crazy. Then Coach Bowles comes up to me and says, 'Hey man, I saw him give you the stick for the outside move. If he beat you on the out, that’s my fault. I put you in a position to play it from inside-out. Just don’t bite on the outside move.' And I was like, 'OK, Coach, I got you.'

"He tells me he made the call and put me in that position. You’ve got to respect that."

That’s not to say Bowles goes around absorbing blame for every misstep.

"It’s not like he’s going to let you slide," Johnson said. "He’s definitely going to let you know when you’ve done something wrong. I think the one thing we respect most is that he treats everyone the same. Whether you’re an All-Pro or a rookie, when we came in and watched film, he didn’t hold back in saying something to the All-Pro.

"He’s straight-forward and honest. And he's been able to take the personnel that he has and know how to put them in positions to exercise their strengths. If you can’t do something, he’s not going to call on you to do it. He’s really good at putting schemes together to make his guys successful. He's definitely a great coach."

An aggressive guy who knows when and when not to blitz all out. I love it. Rex died by the blitz.. we had blown coverage and were ripped for huge gains all the time because of that. Bowles brings smarts to his aggressive nature. Sign me up all day.

Anyone know where this whole Bowles/Chan Gailey thing started?  Can't be Mehta. I've seen it mentioned too much elsewhere.  If true, it makes Bowles out to be Rex Part II (defense is to wins games and offense is to not lose them). 

Anyone know where this whole Bowles/Chan Gailey thing started? Can't be Mehta. I've seen it mentioned too much elsewhere. If true, it makes Bowles out to be Rex Part II (defense is to wins games and offense is to not lose them).

We want an aerial/throw it vertical guy. Why can't people get a grip and get with the times. You want a ring? That's the only way. Shut down pass D and an aerial attack that's worth a damn.

Archived