Chan Gailey wants a winning offense not a productive offense

Jetsbb

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/01/what_does_chan_gailey_jets_potential_offensive_coo.html

Apparently this dolt doesn't realize you need a productive offense to be  a winning offense. Last time I checked completing passes and scoring points doesn't hurt the defense or prevent them from winning. This philosophy is the same old BS old time Rex philosophy that had us out of the playoffs for 4 straight years.

Further in the article:

"So while Gailey said winning games is more of a priority than accumulating offensive stats -- as it should be -- he surely understands that the Jets' offense needs to be more productive."

That is the authors perspective not anything Gailey Said.

Further in the article:

"So while Gailey said winning games is more of a priority than accumulating offensive stats -- as it should be -- he surely understands that the Jets' offense needs to be more productive."

It's too bad that NY Jet fans don't understand the difference in what the man said.   Sometimes I get the feeling that this fan base would rather lose a game 35-34 instead of win one 3-0

I disagree. I would rather have a Winning Offense over a productive one.

You and apparently Chan Gailey don't realize a productive offense is the only winning offense. Yes you can win being a conservative idiot with a good defense but you win on a consistent basis with a productive offense regardless of the defensive strength of your team. You are just making it more difficult on your defense by trying to be conservative and win coin flip tight games bec you are to scared to be a productive offense.

And the author agrees with him about his point in the sentence. "as it should be" he says

No that whole paragraph was exclusively the authors point of view especially the "as it should be" which was the authors take on Gaileys stance that he wants a winning offense not a productive one.

It's too bad that NY Jet fans don't understand the difference in what the man said.   Sometimes I get the feeling that this fan base would rather lose a game 35-34 instead of win one 3-0

I understand exactly what the man said. It's unfortunate he believes a winning offense is not necessarily a productive one. To win on a consistent basis in todays NFL you NEED a productive offense. He is espousing the same exact view point Rex Ryan had to the offense.

Nah, they'd seriously rather go 3-13 because bitching is an art form among Jets fans.   

"I feel like that we'll be able to take the guys that we have, and any new infusion that we get, and hopefully be able to turn it into a winning offense. There's a difference between a productive offense and a winning offense. And what we want to be is a winning offense."

"The thing that we've talked about is that I think he realizes I'll do what's best for the personnel that we have, and then how we have to play according to the defense we have," Gailey said. "There's a lot of things that you have to do to win games. It's not just putting up points and throwing the ball and getting statistics. It's not about statistics. It's about winning the game. You've got to think about everything when you're running an offense."

I think what he's saying in part, I hope, and I fully agree, is he doesn't want a Chad Pencildickington offense that throws 2-yard horizontal dumps on 3rd & longs just to pad completion% and passer rating. 

se·man·tics
səˈman(t)iks/
noun

1. the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning.
    • the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text.
      plural noun: semantics
      "such quibbling over semantics may seem petty stuff"
    •  

I understand exactly what the man said. It's unfortunate he believes a winning offense is not necessarily a productive one. To win on a consistent basis in todays NFL you NEED a productive offense. He is espousing the same exact view point Rex Ryan had to the offense.

It's too bad you don't understand that a winning offense can be productive but a productive offense could cause you to lose the game. Where have to heard this.

" You play to win the game" .

Not entertain the fans.

"I feel like that we'll be able to take the guys that we have, and any new infusion that we get, and hopefully be able to turn it into a winning offense. There's a difference between a productive offense and a winning offense. And what we want to be is a winning offense."

"The thing that we've talked about is that I think he realizes I'll do what's best for the personnel that we have, and then how we have to play according to the defense we have," Gailey said. "There's a lot of things that you have to do to win games. It's not just putting up

points and throwing the ball and getting statistics. It's not about statistics. It's about winning the game. You've got to think about everything when you're running an offense."

I think what he's saying in part, I hope, and I fully agree, is he doesn't want a Chad Pencildickington offense that throws 2-yard horizontal dumps on 3rd & longs just to pad completion% and passer rating. 

Productive offense= 2013 Broncos

Winning offense = 2013 Seahawks

so he claims to have been contacted by 3 teams

don't get too excited

The New York Jets' deal with offensive coordinator Chan Gailey has not gotten done, and there are questions as to whether it will, leaving Gailey and the Jets' futures uncertain.

"Everybody made it seem like a done deal -- everybody except me," Gailey said Monday.

Gailey, who spent the past two seasons out of the NFL after coaching the Buffalo Bills in 2012, said reports about him joining the Jets were premature and that the two sides are at a crossroads.

"Nothing's happened yet," he said.

Gailey, 63, said three other teams have talked to him about joining their staffs and he is contemplating whether to do it, as he only wants to coach with the right team in the right situation.

"The thing that we've talked about is that I think he realizes I'll do what's best for the personnel that we have, and then how we have to play according to the defense we have," Gailey said. "There's a lot of things that you have to do to win games. It's not just putting up points and throwing the ball and getting statistics. It's not about statistics. It's about winning the game. You've got to think about everything when you're running an offense."

I'm outraged !!!!

Rex Ryan always has one of the highest ranked defenses in the league in terms of yards allowed. He fixates on it, not matter how many points his teams give up. That is a productive defense that doesn't win and the actions of a true dolt; the opposite of what Gailey is saying.

I'm outraged !!!!

So the Jets issue the past 6 years has been putting up great stats and points but losing games!?! Last time I checked that has not been an issue for this team. The approach Gailey is talking about is the same exact thing Rex tried for 6 years and you're all buying it hook line and sinker? WOW!

So the Jets issue the past 6 years has been putting up great stats and points but losing games!?! Last time I checked that has not been an issue for this team. The approach Gailey is talking about is the same exact thing Rex tried for 6 years and you're all buying it hook line and sinker? WOW!

Exactly. You know, except for the winning part.  I'll give you the non-productive aspect though. That we had down pat for sure.

so he claims to have been contacted by 3 teams

don't get too excited

The New York Jets' deal with offensive coordinator Chan Gailey has not gotten done, and there are questions as to whether it will, leaving Gailey and the Jets' futures uncertain.

"Everybody made it seem like a done deal -- everybody except me," Gailey said Monday.

Gailey, who spent the past two seasons out of the NFL after coaching the Buffalo Bills in 2012, said reports about him joining the Jets were premature and that the two sides are at a crossroads.

"Nothing's happened yet," he said.

Gailey, 63, said three other teams have talked to him about joining their staffs and he is contemplating whether to do it, as he only wants to coach with the right team in the right situation.

This appears to be somewhat contradictory.  He only wants to be with the "right team in the right situation" yet he has clear interest in the Jets.

Maybe it's a Parcellsian point of view: only go to a team that was awful the prior year so there's much more room for improvement (post-Giants: NE 2-14, Jets 1-15, Dallas 5-11, and though not as HC, Miami 1-15). Nearly impossible to do worse, and even unlikely to show no improvement. Bar is already set pretty low for the Jets offense.

All I could come up with as far as this being anyone's definition of the "right team in the right situation" for an offensive coordinator. This would necessarily translate to mean he is seeking a job with low expectations.

lol

Archived