It's Gonna Snow, B******!!!

Jetworks

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last time NY really got hit by a bad winter was 95-96. Just looked up the numbers and Central Park accumulated 75 inches of snow that winter! Most of these snow storms just get overhyped nowadays it seems.

After nyc blew it back in 2010 or 11 they have to take every precaution...over hype and be glad if there's less or be right and pat themselves on the back

The last time NY really got hit by a bad winter was 95-96. Just looked up the numbers and Central Park accumulated 75 inches of snow that winter! Most of these snow storms just get overhyped nowadays it seems.

Half of that was in one storm . The 36 inch January 96 storm. And 4 days after that ended we got another 10 inches

Dont know where you live. but if you're in the 24-30'' zone and you plan on driving in snow accumulating at 3-4 inches an hour you may get close to home and then hit an impenetrable wall of snow when you reach your road (if you live in suburbia). this happened to me in January 1996 and it sucked. so close but yet so far.

In Brooklyn anyway that's media hype. A fraction of that so far. Hope it stays no worse than this. 

Agree I guess a body in motion stays in motion.

Absolutely. After I retired I got a gym membership so I could continue working out, took up bike riding and started pursuing a second career that doesn't entail me sitting on my duff all day. Do all you can to maximize the chances of you collecting that pension for a loooooong time.

It eats the surface on concrete you will notice small chips like corn flakes this spring coming off the sidewalk

That's salt that does that. Magnesium chloride flakes are the best. You don't have to use that much and it doesn't leave an oily residue on pavers (like calcium does)

That's salt that does that. Magnesium chloride flakes are the best. You don't have to use that much and it doesn't leave an oily residue on pavers (like calcium does)

I use play sand on all my icy areas around the house blacktop,concrete and pavers any chloride will damage concrete let me know in the Spring how it turned out for you. 

I use play sand on all my icy areas around the house blacktop,concrete and pavers any chloride will damage concrete let me know in the Spring how it turned out for you.

You will have a massive cleanup come spring time. I use it all the time for years. Never had a problem damaging concrete. Maybe you just had a sh*tty mason do your sidewalks?

You will have a massive cleanup come spring time. I use it all the time for years. Never had a problem damaging concrete. Maybe you just had a sh*tty mason do your sidewalks?

Cleanup? The joints in the pavers take the sand and other areas I use a blower to blow it into the grass its good for the soil especially if you live in an area where theres a lot of clay. My mason is good been in business over 30 years. 

Another option I use for when its really icy is the propane flame thrower works really well. 

northern-tool-propane-torch-heater.jpg

Cleanup? The joints in the pavers take the sand and other areas I use a blower to blow it into the grass its good for the soil especially if you live in an area where theres a lot of clay. My mason is good been in business over 30 years. 

Another option I use for when its really icy is the propane flame thrower works really well. 

northern-tool-propane-torch-heater.jpg

Hey that's fine, whatever works for you. but you have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to magnesium chloride and concrete and or concrete pavers.

Hey that's fine, whatever works for you. but you have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to magnesium chloride and concrete and or concrete pavers.

Thats your OPINION any type of chloride will damage concrete and paver surfaces it may not happen immediately but over time you will have damage,please let us know down the road what happened to your pavers and concrete.

http://www.idealconcreteblock.com/tl_files/downloads/FAQ-pdfs/Deicing-Advisory.pdf

• At low concentrations magnesium chloride (MgCl2) and calcium magnesium chloride (CMA) can cause measureable damage. 

•  

• At high concentrations, CaCl2, MgCl2 and CMA can attack cement paste causing significant damage that results in

the loss of material, reduced strength and increased porosity.

•  

1. In light of this information, we recommend sand as the preferred method for providing skid and slip resistance.

Thats your OPINION any type of chloride will damage concrete and paver surfaces it may not happen immediately but over time you will have damage,please let us know down the road what happened to your pavers and concrete.

Yes, my opinion along with a majority of opinions here think you're clueless. I get it :)

Archived