Schefter expects us to pay Revis "anything he wants"

DaBallhawk

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that's true. He's coming off a good season, will market himself as a mercenary that will deliver a ring to a team that would otherwise have fallen short (like Deion did). On a multi-year deal he wouldn't get that per year (or I'd be surprised to see it), but on a year-to-year deal? Absolutely I could see it with a $143M cap limit (and so many teams carrying over $ from 2014 to boot.

Wrong for us at this time IMO. Especially because it would give a LOT more credence to the tampering charges. If we stay away completely, they'll almost assuredly blow over.

The jets getting out bid for revis or revis staying with the pats has no bearing on the tampering charge. I mean it is not a guess or someone's note that was found or a telephone call, it was a tv interview. The NFL either chooses to punish him this time, after being warned last year on Desean Jackson,  or they just say he is an idiot that should not talk in public.   Right now it looks like the nfl is just going to turn a blind eye to it, but we will see when it is brought up in the league meetings the last weekend of March.

The jets getting out bid for revis or revis staying with the pats has no bearing on the tampering charge. I mean it is not a guess or someone's note that was found or a telephone call, it was a tv interview. The NFL either chooses to punish him this time, after being warned last year on Desean Jackson,  or they just say he is an idiot that should not talk in public.   Right now it looks like the nfl is just going to turn a blind eye to it, but we will see when it is brought up in the league meetings the last weekend of March.

I think we all know Woody is an idiot that should not talk in public

case dismissed

I think we all know Woody is an idiot that should not talk in public

case dismissed

Jet fans suffered thru three of the worse press conferences that i can remember this year, Rex after getting beat by buffalo in detroit, Idzik state of the jets mid-season and then the owner just being so stupid to talk about Revis that way.   

Jet fans suffered thru three of the worse press conferences that i can remember this year, Rex after getting beat by buffalo in detroit, Idzik state of the jets mid-season and then the owner just being so stupid to talk about Revis that way.   

yea and not just this year, lets not forget the flowers for Mrs Mangini

one of the more uncomfortable "sports" moments

Who else are you getting to play CB? what 26 year old, shut down corner, are you signing?  If you're claim is we're not winning, then we're not winning anyway - might as well field the best team and sign the sign a mercenary again when you are ready to compete.  You're not giving Revis a long term contract.  It's a year, maybe two.

This fan base is absurd....You scream to fire a guy when he tries to rebuild and save cap dollars - then when the team wants to bring in high level, quality players we want to pass...because why??

He's too good (i.e. too expensive)

Please - if you have a chance to sign the best player in the league at a position of need you do so and don't look back.

There is so much I disagree with in this post I wouldn't know where to begin. How about at the start:

#1: we don't NEED a 26 year old shutdown corner. It is great to have, but it's hardly a requirement. A QB is a requirement. A 26 year old shutdown corner is just really nice to have.

#2: if we're not winning this year anyway, then it is foolhardy to piss away spending ability that we'll want when we ARE contenders. And to piss it away on a 1 year rental 30 year old CB who wants $16M for the year again. The part you accidentally got right is you sign a mercenary when you are ready to compete, not before that.

#3: the fan base revolted against Idzik because he failed, not because he didn't spend. And also because he tried to spend but did a poor job of it (getting outbid for a CB he liked, and meeting with no one else while waiting for said CB's answer of "no"); following up a generally poor draft with a disastrous one, and the disastrous one came with 12 picks in a draft most qualified as being of the "can't miss" variety. Then after declining to sign a speedy young WR with a history of huge success and kind of a poor attitude as a FA (or for a 7th round pick when he had a dozen coming up and could certainly spare a late one), he waits until we're 1-7 and then signs that same WR's far less accomplished and far more expensive clone, who will cost a 4th round pick to keep and a 6th even if we don't. And that the only way the team is markedly better off than when he got here is we have yet another good young DT and a lot of cap room.

He bet his job on Geno Smith. Well if you're going to do that, you have to accept that the house is going to take your chips away when you lose your bet.

Fans turned on him because of failure, not because of failure to spend. If he drafted like a bookworm scout and kept all that cap space to fill in the few remaining holes we couldn't fill in the draft, he'd be a hero.

#4: you do so if it helps the team either in the short term, long term, or both. It does NOT help the team in the short term unless he helps take us over the hump (like he did for New England). And it outright hurts us for the future.

The Jets signing Revis now (or in 2014) is analogous to a fat person eating an entire Vermonster, by himself, in one sitting. He rationalizes it by saying he's still going to be fat this month even without these 20 scoops of ice cream and toppings. Since he knows that's the case, why not feel as gratified as possible in the immediate short term, even if it's going to be worse for him in the long term? The answer is because the smart move is to either eat less and/or eat healthy even in the face of knowing for certain it's not going to lead to him losing the 40 pounds he wants to this month. That in the long run he will be better off.

With all this spending room, the doctor says we dieted too hard and need to "eat" a lot more than before. The smart thing is to eat but just eat healthy. In other words, spend it on players that will still be here and still be useful when we're not in a QB-less predicament. To do otherwise is to build a win-now contender team around Mark Sanchez and hope for unbridled stupid luck. Again.

Child, please.

Young person, por favor.

With all this spending room, the doctor says we dieted too hard and need to "eat" a lot more than before. The smart thing is to eat but just eat healthy. In other words, spend it on players that will still be here and still be useful when we're not in a QB-less predicament. To do otherwise is to build a win-now contender team around Mark Sanchez and hope for unbridled stupid luck. Again.

Not to belabor the point - but with all this spending room - on who are spending $65mm?  How are you "healthily" spending $65mm?

Show me how you don't "eat" too much on a few guys that will be done by the time we're ready to compete..  Right now we have nothing.  If Revis would come with long term cap implications I would totally agree, but he won't...He will not come with negative long term cap implications.

And as for the bolded.  It's not like we have a young QB on the horizon that we can say we'll be ready to compete in three or four years.  Is it your suggestion we don't attempt to build a team until we find a QB?  I think we should take the food we have and try and make the best meal.

Not to belabor the point - but with all this spending room - on who are spending $65mm?  How are you "healthily" spending $65mm?

Show me how you don't "eat" too much on a few guys that will be done by the time we're ready to compete..  Right now we have nothing.  If Revis would come with long term cap implications I would totally agree, but he won't...He will not come with negative long term cap implications.

And as for the bolded.  It's not like we have a young QB on the horizon that we can say we'll be ready to compete in three or four years.  Is it your suggestion we don't attempt to build a team until we find a QB?  I think we should take the food we have and try and make the best meal?

I just told you. Twice. You spend it on players who have more than a 1 year future with the team. If you spend it on a more expensive 1 year player it should be so there's competition for the position (with the ability to cut the expensive guy, like Harvin), or for that expensive player to have a positive impact on the development of a player who IS going to be here past 1 season.

You DO attempt to build a team before a sure thing at QB materializes. You don't attempt to build a "go for broke this year" without one.  I don't want to lose or pass up on someone because we used the requisite space on 1 more pointless $15M payment for Revis. 

There are plenty of ways to use up this year's cap space without using it. It's been discussed here plenty: front-load contracts to 2015 so that same spending flexibility is there for us in 2016. Whether it's re-signing Wilkerson and Harrison, or whether it's Iupati or other free agents. Using it this year doesn't mean it has to disappear for good, if it's for players/positions we would have spent it on anyway (if not this season then next season and thereafter). Using it on Revis this year does mean it's gone for good with nothing to show for it after this year. 

A one year rental of a $15M 30 year-old CB is a missing piece to an obvious contender, not a building block for a team with an atrocious starting QB and whose team is in no control of acquiring of an instant-success at QB as of the day Revis would sign. The only possibilities on the horizon is getting stupidly lucky with a rookie in a poor QB class, or IF Mariota drops to #6 and Philadelphia is still interested in trading up and offering up enough to us on top of Foles (and IF he is an instant-success for us on top of all that).

I just told you. Twice. You spend it on players who have more than a 1 year future with the team. If you spend it on a more expensive 1 year player it should be so there's competition for the position (with the ability to cut the expensive guy, like Harvin), or for that expensive player to have a positive impact on the development of a player who IS going to be here past 1 season.

You DO attempt to build a team before a sure thing at QB materializes. You don't attempt to build a "go for broke this year" without one.  I don't want to lose or pass up on someone because we used the requisite space on 1 more pointless $15M payment for Revis. 

There are plenty of ways to use up this year's cap space without using it. It's been discussed here plenty: front-load contracts to 2015 so that same spending flexibility is there for us in 2016. Whether it's re-signing Wilkerson and Harrison, or whether it's Iupati or other free agents. Using it this year doesn't mean it has to disappear for good, if it's for players/positions we would have spent it on anyway (if not this season then next season and thereafter). Using it on Revis this year does mean it's gone for good with nothing to show for it after this year. 

A one year rental of a $15M 30 year-old CB is a missing piece to an obvious contender, not a building block for a team with an atrocious starting QB and whose team is in no control of acquiring of an instant-success at QB as of the day Revis would sign. The only possibilities on the horizon is getting stupidly lucky with a rookie in a poor QB class, or IF Mariota drops to #6 and Philadelphia is still interested in trading up and offering up enough to us on top of Foles (and IF he is an instant-success for us on top of all that).

In theory you are correct, except..We HAVE to spend all of this cap excess....and it's difficult to find long term, quality, impact players on which to spend that much.   So I'll ask again, On who do you plan on spending all this money, without taking on older, yet still in their prime players?

There simply aren't that many long term, under 27 year old, impact players available...The Jets do NOT have any truly impact players on this entire team (maybe Harvin and Richardson)

In theory you are correct, except..We HAVE to spend all of this cap excess....and it's difficult to find long term, quality, impact players on which to spend that much.   So I'll ask again, On who do you plan on spending all this money, without taking on older, yet still in their prime players?

There simply aren't that many long term, under 27 year old, impact players available...The Jets do NOT have any truly impact players on this entire team (maybe Harvin and Richardson)

The answer isn't to go on some sort of Brewster's Millions spending binge. There are quality free agents this year at CB, WR, S, OLB, G, etc. You sign a number of them. And you sign a few middle class guys at those positions to bolster your team's complete lack of depth. You offer extensions to guys like Mo Wilk, who'd you'd like to see hang around for another contract. Basically, you set yourself up so you're in position to go BAP with your entire draft class.

Blowing a quarter of your wad on one great CB who happens to be on the wrong side of 30 isn't the way to go.

I was under the impression that I mentioned two that are already on the team, plus pick your own favorite FAs we could bring in who are a (reasonable, barring injury or bust) certainty to more than a 1 year shelf life on the Jets:

• Wilkerson's next deal assume is in the neighborhood of $10M (it might be a little more, but it also might be a little less for us since we're the only ones who can tag him for millions less this year).
  • Harrison (I don't know what his salary command/demand would be. Presume it's around $5-6M/year. It might be closer to $5M or even closer to $7M, but he is only a 2-down player so it's not likely that much more than $7M, if it's even within a million of that high at all.). He might be a bad example only because he can be tagged at $3M for the year even if we assign him a 1st round tender. But what we buy with that is we know there's no risk of him becoming a UFA after 2015. So pick someone else who's going to be here for 4-5 more years, like Demario Davis (extend him by another 4-5 years; don't just tear up his existing deal).
  • Iupati (another I don't know what the $ is or if we're even actually looking at him. I'm throwing his name out there because we have a need at guard and he's an instant plug-in). Assume $7-8M/year. Could be more, but I doubt it since he's not great - or even good - at everything. Use $8M just in case you think I'm lowballing Wilkerson's amount.
  • A new WR at $8-9M/year after Maccagnan cuts Harvin. Whether it's Andre at $8M per, or Cobb at $9M per (possibly $10M per depending upon demand), just to throw one of those two out there. Split the difference between high and low and call it $9M per, whichever one it may be.

OK so let's stop there for the sake of this example. If they were all on perfectly linear deals (same exact amount every year, which wouldn't happen anyway), the 2015 total would be $10M+$6M+$8M+$9M = $33M. Whoa, that still leaves us with $30M+ leftover, right? Wrong.

In a situation like ours, where we must spend cash, we can front-load these deals more than one otherwise would (and it's cash we're required to spend, not cap space we're required to eliminate; but it's future cap space we can and should preserve while spending the same money today). Most of the time, in an effort to leave space for the current season, deals are frontloaded with mostly signing bonus that gets amortized over the duration of the deal, and it's balanced out with lower salaries in the contracts early years. In our case, that's counterproductive. First off, they might all (except Andre) get fat signing bonuses in excess of their annual average under the deal (e.g. Wilkerson with a $15M signing bonus on a $10M/year deal: he then gets more than $10M in cash this year).

I'm going to use a more extreme example here that is unlikely to be employed to these measures, but it's for illustration purposes so you see the type of flexibility we have if so desired with just one player.  

Say Wilkerson's $10M/year deal is for 5 years ($50M total). Usually the cap hit is lightest in year one, as the player receives a signing bonus and that's paired with an ultra-low base salary in year 1. We could front-load Wilkerson so his cap hit and team spending this season are both closer to $20M, and make that $20 a combination of up front roster bonus plus guaranteed higher year 1 salary, instead of the typical signing bonus and lower year 1+2 salaries.

Result = Wilkerson gets paid BIG in year one, as he's earned. The balance of his cap hit (and payments) over the remaining 4 seasons is now a much lighter $7.5M per. Over the upcoming seasons his cap hits will go down, instead of going up, as is most common. Then put a little fluff in year 5 for unrelated reasons (ability to restructure in the future, ability to cut him and realize a bigger savings if his play drops off substantially by then, etc.). So again, this is just Wilkerson:

Year 1: $20M payment, $20M cap hit (all guaranteed).

Year 2: $6M payment, $6M cap hit (all guaranteed)

Year 3: $7M payment, $7M cap hit ($0 to $2M guaranteed)

Year 4: $7M payment, $7M cap hit

Year 5: $10M payment, $10M cap hit

We could do this even further by pushing even more of his contracts cap hit to 2015 (i.e. $24M instead of "just" $20M). Then the remaining years are each $1M less than outlined above. 

To otherwise give that same lump year 1 payment to Wilkerson in the form of traditional signing bonus, which he surely wants and also has earned, we would be looking at a far lower year 1 cap hit closer to $6M. Then the next 3 years he'd hit the cap at closer to $11-12M per on average instead of only $6-7M per, because his cap hit will be larger year 2-5 salaries plus another $2-3M/year of amortized bonus. Mind you, I'm talking about 2 options of cap manipulation that each would pay Wilkerson the same money at the same schedule this year.

So now backtrack to the "only $33M" used up from above. Now it's $43M used up while writing the same exact size check(s) to the same 1 player. Lather, rinse, and repeat for 2-3 (or more) additional larger contracts signed now, for existing or incoming players that you think will still be here in 4-5 years, and you've used up $55M without sacrificing future spending ability. And stopping at $55M still leaves $10M for a mid-season emergency that otherwise gets pushed to 2016 if unused (i.e. if the cap limit climbs to $153M next year, the Jets' cap limit would be $163M in 2016. This is what's already going on this year as well).

Done properly, without bad signings or excessively scrimping on players with a real future here, that $12M we had leftover in 2014 could be floated every year until the year we feel it's imperative to blast through it all. It will be there for us to use later if we don't use it now. So again, Revis is the Vermonster of ice cream that should not be eaten by a team that has no business eating 20 scoops in 1 sitting ($15M in 1 season) because it might feel good in the moment but it will be that much more to diet around in the future.

Sorry so long, but you seemed to not understand how this could be done. It's an easy concept, but illustrating it with an example that includes concrete numbers takes a lot of words (at least for someone like me).

Hah hah do not mess with Sperm is the lesson for today

You know what happens is I just keep typing without pausing to hit the "Post" button without realizing how much I've typed. Then I look back and am like, ugh no one's freaking reading this. Yet I continue to do it anyway.

I at least made an effort to break it up with indentations and a bulleted list. So maybe it'll appear like less to get through and 1 more person will read it, which would bring the new grand total to 1.

this is way bigger than Revis or the CB position

the Jets franchise needs to express to the fans that they actually care about winning

outside of the radicals on message boards, most fans don't see endless salary cap cuts as a path forward to winning

bringing back the best Jets draft pick since 1969 says something. It says "Hey we were wrong. We actually do give a crap. Please keep consuming our product" 

all this talk about the future

I went to several funerals last year of people who died too young. 

F the future. There might not be a future. There's only today. That's what we are due. Today. This year if we are being greedy. No one knows what 5 years from now looks like. John IDzik certainly didn't get to see his future.  

Predicting the future is one of the hardest activities a human can try. Weather men can't even predict this weekend with 100% accuracy. WE want to predict what 5 years from now looks like? 

and all this talk about saving... when the cap goes up 10 mil every year what's the point of saving? The free market doesn't have enough supply to meet the demand of 5 teams with 50-60 mil in cap space and even those pegged to the cap get another 8 figures of relief annually. 

We don't know if another year or another 10 years are due to us on this world.  I don't want to watch a terrible team full of street free agents while  keeping cap space for when Peyton Manning's grandson is ready to 1st overall in 20 years.  

It's a ludicrous way to think... that we have all these future seasons forvever.

and BTW all "rebuilding" guarantees is a culture of losing. The Browns have been rebuilding since they came into existence.

Every win the Jets get during the regular season is gold.  Every Sunday when you aren't watching a Jets loss is a good sunday. 

the Jets franchise needs to express to the fans that they actually care about winning

outside of the radicals on message boards, most fans don't see endless salary cap cuts as a path forward to winning

bringing back the best Jets draft pick since 1969 says something. It says "Hey we were wrong. We actually do give a crap. Please keep consuming our product" 

F the future. There might not be a future. There's only today. That's what we are due. Today. This year if we are being greedy. No one knows what 5 years from now looks like. John IDzik certainly didn't get to see his future. 

We don't know if another year or another 10 years are due to us on this world.  I don't want to watch a terrible team full of street free agents while  keeping cap space for when Peyton Manning's grandson is ready to 1st overall in 20 years.  

It's a ludicrous way to think.

Literally no one thinks that way.

Literally no one thinks that way.

sperm calls Revis the vermonster of ice cream sundaes when the team needs to be on a diet until they get better or some such nonsense

the only way they are going to get better is by actually getting better. If Revis is worth a win or two on a 6 win season, great. That's good news. Keeping the powder dry for a mythical super bowl run is just missing opportunity. 

The answer isn't to go on some sort of Brewster's Millions spending binge. 

brewsters millions is a good analogy he had to spend 30 to win 300. the Jets for the last two years spent nothing and won nothing. 

put it in the air.

This is BS reporting by Schefter and any other media outlet without using names attached to the story.  It paints the Jets and owner Johnson in a bad light. Example:

Yesterday on NFL radio Jim Miller makes the statement that this is the second time owner Woody Johnson has tampered with another teams player this year. Really? So these quotes are coming from Johnson? I must have missed his name attached to these non stories.  So Schefter makes his opinion as fact and the whole NFL media world responds that Johnson is making the quotes. Insane.

sperm calls Revis the vermonster of ice cream sundaes when the team needs to be on a diet until they get better or some such nonsense

the only way they are going to get better is by actually getting better. If Revis is worth a win or two on a 6 win season, great. That's good news. Keeping the powder dry for a mythical super bowl run is just missing opportunity.

Thinking Revis is a bad investment =/= thinking the team should sit on their cap space for another year

I never had any problem with Revis chasing every dollar he possibly could, but he can do it somewhere else, for another near-contending team that needs a mercenary CB to get over the top. That's the right fit for Revis, the Jets are the wrong fit.

The Jets have holes all over their roster, and have no depth. They can sign a guard, safety, and LB for what Revis wants every year, and those players will (hopefully) he happy to honor their contracts. There are other younger, quality CBs on the market that they can pursue. Lots of places they can spend -and need to spend- that don't involve Darrelle Revis.

They can sign a guard, safety, and LB for what Revis wants every year, and those players will (hopefully) he happy to honor their contracts. There are other younger, quality CBs on the market that they can pursue. Lots of places they can spend -and need to spend- that don't involve Darrelle Revis.

I'll take quality over quantity every time. The NFL is a game where the outcomes are determined by the top of the roster. The Jets don't have anyone at the top if the roster. The guard and safety and LB doesn't win as many games as the 1 HOF'er. 

I'll take quality over quantity every time. The NFL is a game where the outcomes are determined by the top of the roster. The Jets don't have anyone at the top if the roster. The guard and safety and LB doesn't win as many games as the 1 HOF'er.

You do that.

The Jets need to start putting together a football team that might be competitive for years to come, not just win a couple extra games next year. Revis would be a terrible investment, and I hope they're not even considering such a move.

But you just keep on keepin' on.

Thinking Revis is a bad investment =/= thinking the team should sit on their cap space for another year

I never had any problem with Revis chasing every dollar he possibly could, but he can do it somewhere else, for another near-contending team that needs a mercenary CB to get over the top. That's the right fit for Revis, the Jets are the wrong fit.

The Jets have holes all over their roster, and have no depth. They can sign a guard, safety, and LB for what Revis wants every year, and those players will (hopefully) he happy to honor their contracts. There are other younger, quality CBs on the market that they can pursue. Lots of places they can spend -and need to spend- that don't involve Darrelle Revis.

agree 100%,,wrong time/place for revis jets reunion 

Predicting the future is one of the hardest activities a human can try. Weather men can't even predict this weekend with 100% accuracy. WE want to predict what 5 years from now looks like?

and all this talk about saving... when the cap goes up 10 mil every year what's the point of saving? The free market doesn't have enough supply to meet the demand of 5 teams with 50-60 mil in cap space and even those pegged to the cap get another 8 figures of relief annually.

We don't know if another year or another 10 years are due to us on this world. I don't want to watch a terrible team full of street free agents while keeping cap space for when Peyton Manning's grandson is ready to 1st overall in 20 years.

It's a ludicrous way to think... that we have all these future seasons forvever.

and BTW all "rebuilding" guarantees is a culture of losing. The Browns have been rebuilding since they came into existence.

Every win the Jets get during the regular season is gold. Every Sunday when you aren't watching a Jets loss is a good sunday.

I wonder if tubby left his Pollyanna wig at Florham Park after that Browns game.

Every win the Jets get during the regular season is gold.  Every Sunday when you aren't watching a Jets loss is a good sunday. 

Agreed.

Once we find our franchise QB let's take the colts approach...take your time build the roster long term.  But we don't have that....Take each year and put the best product you can on the field.

I was under the impression that I mentioned two that are already on the team, plus pick your own favorite FAs we could bring in who are a (reasonable, barring injury or bust) certainty to more than a 1 year shelf life on the Jets:

• Wilkerson's next deal assume is in the neighborhood of $10M (it might be a little more, but it also might be a little less for us since we're the only ones who can tag him for millions less this year).
  • Harrison (I don't know what his salary command/demand would be. Presume it's around $5-6M/year. It might be closer to $5M or even closer to $7M, but he is only a 2-down player so it's not likely that much more than $7M, if it's even within a million of that high at all.). He might be a bad example only because he can be tagged at $3M for the year even if we assign him a 1st round tender. But what we buy with that is we know there's no risk of him becoming a UFA after 2015. So pick someone else who's going to be here for 4-5 more years, like Demario Davis (extend him by another 4-5 years; don't just tear up his existing deal).
  • Iupati (another I don't know what the $ is or if we're even actually looking at him. I'm throwing his name out there because we have a need at guard and he's an instant plug-in). Assume $7-8M/year. Could be more, but I doubt it since he's not great - or even good - at everything. Use $8M just in case you think I'm lowballing Wilkerson's amount.
  • A new WR at $8-9M/year after Maccagnan cuts Harvin. Whether it's Andre at $8M per, or Cobb at $9M per (possibly $10M per depending upon demand), just to throw one of those two out there. Split the difference between high and low and call it $9M per, whichever one it may be.

OK so let's stop there for the sake of this example. If they were all on perfectly linear deals (same exact amount every year, which wouldn't happen anyway), the 2015 total would be $10M+$6M+$8M+$9M = $33M. Whoa, that still leaves us with $30M+ leftover, right? Wrong.

In a situation like ours, where we must spend cash, we can front-load these deals more than one otherwise would (and it's cash we're required to spend, not cap space we're required to eliminate; but it's future cap space we can and should preserve while spending the same money today). Most of the time, in an effort to leave space for the current season, deals are frontloaded with mostly signing bonus that gets amortized over the duration of the deal, and it's balanced out with lower salaries in the contracts early years. In our case, that's counterproductive. First off, they might all (except Andre) get fat signing bonuses in excess of their annual average under the deal (e.g. Wilkerson with a $15M signing bonus on a $10M/year deal: he then gets more than $10M in cash this year).

I'm going to use a more extreme example here that is unlikely to be employed to these measures, but it's for illustration purposes so you see the type of flexibility we have if so desired with just one player.  

Say Wilkerson's $10M/year deal is for 5 years ($50M total). Usually the cap hit is lightest in year one, as the player receives a signing bonus and that's paired with an ultra-low base salary in year 1. We could front-load Wilkerson so his cap hit and team spending this season are both closer to $20M, and make that $20 a combination of up front roster bonus plus guaranteed higher year 1 salary, instead of the typical signing bonus and lower year 1+2 salaries.

Result = Wilkerson gets paid BIG in year one, as he's earned. The balance of his cap hit (and payments) over the remaining 4 seasons is now a much lighter $7.5M per. Over the upcoming seasons his cap hits will go down, instead of going up, as is most common. Then put a little fluff in year 5 for unrelated reasons (ability to restructure in the future, ability to cut him and realize a bigger savings if his play drops off substantially by then, etc.). So again, this is just Wilkerson:

Year 1: $20M payment, $20M cap hit (all guaranteed).

Year 2: $6M payment, $6M cap hit (all guaranteed)

Year 3: $7M payment, $7M cap hit ($0 to $2M guaranteed)

Year 4: $7M payment, $7M cap hit

Year 5: $10M payment, $10M cap hit

We could do this even further by pushing even more of his contracts cap hit to 2015 (i.e. $24M instead of "just" $20M). Then the remaining years are each $1M less than outlined above. 

To otherwise give that same lump year 1 payment to Wilkerson in the form of traditional signing bonus, which he surely wants and also has earned, we would be looking at a far lower year 1 cap hit closer to $6M. Then the next 3 years he'd hit the cap at closer to $11-12M per on average instead of only $6-7M per, because his cap hit will be larger year 2-5 salaries plus another $2-3M/year of amortized bonus. Mind you, I'm talking about 2 options of cap manipulation that each would pay Wilkerson the same money at the same schedule this year.

So now backtrack to the "only $33M" used up from above. Now it's $43M used up while writing the same exact size check(s) to the same 1 player. Lather, rinse, and repeat for 2-3 (or more) additional larger contracts signed now, for existing or incoming players that you think will still be here in 4-5 years, and you've used up $55M without sacrificing future spending ability. And stopping at $55M still leaves $10M for a mid-season emergency that otherwise gets pushed to 2016 if unused (i.e. if the cap limit climbs to $153M next year, the Jets' cap limit would be $163M in 2016. This is what's already going on this year as well).

Done properly, without bad signings or excessively scrimping on players with a real future here, that $12M we had leftover in 2014 could be floated every year until the year we feel it's imperative to blast through it all. It will be there for us to use later if we don't use it now. So again, Revis is the Vermonster of ice cream that should not be eaten by a team that has no business eating 20 scoops in 1 sitting ($15M in 1 season) because it might feel good in the moment but it will be that much more to diet around in the future.

Sorry so long, but you seemed to not understand how this could be done. It's an easy concept, but illustrating it with an example that includes concrete numbers takes a lot of words (at least for someone like me).

Do what you say and the team wins 6 games this year again and into the foreseeable future.   YAY! We have a manageable cap - good for you!!!

You might very well be happy with that - I'm not.  I would like to see the team win, at least attempt it.

Follow your plan and there is STILL NOT ONE impact, game changing player on the entire roster (maybe Sheldon but even that's a maybe - he's not taking over games)

That's not the team I want to watch every Sunday.  One accepting being sh---y because we don't have a QB.

Do what you say and the team wins 6 games this year again and into the foreseeable future.   YAY! We have a manageable cap - good for you!!!

You might very well be happy with that - I'm not.  I would like to see the team win, at least attempt it.

Follow your plan and there is STILL NOT ONE impact, game changing player on the entire roster (maybe Sheldon but even that's a maybe - he's not taking over games)

That's not the team I want to watch every Sunday.  One accepting being sh---y because we don't have a QB.

I disagree that acquiring Revis for 1 season at some $15M or so will markedly change an otherwise 6 win team and turn it into anything worth watching.

Pick up super-expensive players with a long future here = yeah, sure

Pick up super-expensive players for 1 year, and when he's gone in 2016 we're back where we are today (minus a HOFers cap space) = no

Archived