Wesley Walker

peekskill68

Wesley Walker has trouble lifting himself out of a chair, he doesn’t sleep except for a couple of naps during the day, and there are times driving to his home in Dix Hills he has lived in since 1978 when he winds up on the wrong highway or takes the wrong exit.

He was just a blur running go routes as the most electrifying receiver in Jets history. If he played today — his blazing speed combined with rules that have opened up the passing game — Walker would be impossible to cover. In 13 seasons — four of which were cut short by injuries — Walker’s numbers were outstanding: 438 catches for 8,306 yards with 71 touchdowns. He averaged an incredible 19 yards per catch.

But his one stat since retiring is more stunning: six, as in football-related surgeries.

“I am in pain every day,” Walker, who will be 60 years old on May 26, said Tuesday....

Here is the link to the full article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/myers-ex-jets-great-wesley-walker-pain-day-article-1.2152369

One of my favorite all-time Jets.  This is a tough read.  He and Toon were special.  I don't begrudge the players trying to get every last nickel in their contract negotiations...

Definitely my favorite Jet of all time. He was uncoverable with his track star speed and great route running. Would have been even better with someone other than Richard Todd throwing him the ball.  He wasn't very big, and watching him get hit hard by safeties in the open field made me cringe - it was like watching a graceful gazelle getting hit by a car.  My heart breaks over this story.

Wes was a fantastic player, I remember that amazing game v the Fins very well in 86. The guy could only see out of one eye properly. I used to think they where making the NFL to soft with the new rules, but now I do feel the people should not be left like Wes after playing football in their 20's and early 30's.

Look, all these guys knew the risks, and as much as it does suck to be in that position, where would most of them be today if there was not football? 

Nice.  You'd probably tell him if he is looking for sympathy (which he is not), he can find it in the dictionary between $hit and syphilis.

Nice.  You'd probably tell him if he is looking for sympathy (which he is not), he can find it in the dictionary between $hit and syphilis.

Actually I have met him and a really nice guy, just saying the players would be as anonymous as any of us posters.  Would not wish the pain these guys go through on anyone...  

We met him at some event that JN got some people invited to back a few years ago.  During the Philly game where Holmes and Sanchez kept spitting the ball up.  Seemed like a very genuine, nice guy.  Not outspoken, but very cool and I had no idea he was in bad shape.

He feels 95.

When did you feel him?

I'm very sorry for him, he's one of the reasons I became a Jets fan. Playoffs, 1982 vs. the Raiders, I was six years old and it was the first football game I ever watched. Jets were down 14 to 10 lat in the game, and Richard Todd threw a 50 yard bomb to Wesley Walker, who made an impossible catch as the Raiders CB was all over him. Jets won 17 to 14. From that moment on I was a Jets fan.

thanks for that video, thanks for the memories. Notice how there are no stupid dances after touchdowns - just plays the game with dignity without self promoting... and the players stayed on the team awhile, so you got to really connect to them; walker, barkum, caster... To this day I remember telephone numbers by 85 for Walker, 83 for Barkujm, or 88 for Caster, 73 Klecko, etc...    .those were the days when we rooted for players and not for laundry.  

I'm very sorry for him, he's one of the reasons I became a Jets fan. Playoffs, 1982 vs. the Raiders, I was six years old and it was the first football game I ever watched. Jets were down 14 to 10 lat in the game, and Richard Todd threw a 50 yard bomb to Wesley Walker, who made an impossible catch as the Raiders CB was all over him. Jets won 17 to 14. From that moment on I was a Jets fan.

I was at that game (LA Coliseum).  One of my all-time favorite moments.  Lance Mehl.  Oh baby...

He feels 95.

So do coal miners, steel workers, comercial fisherman, oil rig workers, etc, etc, etc.

Many people do work that impairs their lives in their old age.

Most don't make in a lifetime what an average NFL Player makes in one or two years.

The NFL, like any job that abuses ones body, is a risk/reward decision each person needs to make.

Be assured, there are no shortage of people who suffer like Walker does who were never beloved, never famous, never rich.

I hope Walker, and all folks who suffer, finds comfort.

I was at that game (LA Coliseum).  One of my all-time favorite moments.  Lance Mehl.  Oh baby...

I remember crying after the mud bowl and cursing a guy named AJ Dewey. It would be the first of many Jets games that made me cry. The NY Sack Exchange would have stopped John Riggins in the Super Bowl.

So do coal miners, steel workers, comercial fisherman, oil rig workers, etc, etc, etc.

Many people do work that impairs their lives in their old age.

Most don't make in a lifetime what an average NFL Player makes in one or two years.

The NFL, like any job that abuses ones body, is a risk/reward decision each person needs to make.

Be assured, there are no shortage of people who suffer like Walker does who were never beloved, never famous, never rich.

I hope Walker, and all folks who suffer, finds comfort.

Awesome post Fish. Couldn't agree more. It sucks for anyone to suffer, period, beloved football player or average Joe. I went through a short period of suffering, being up all night in pain, not being able to sleep, wondering WTF. There are few worse things in life. I hope Wes and all people living in pain and suffering find comfort.

We met him at some event that JN got some people invited to back a few years ago.  During the Philly game where Holmes and Sanchez kept spitting the ball up.  Seemed like a very genuine, nice guy.  Not outspoken, but very cool and I had no idea he was in bad shape.

When did you feel him?

Actually, I met him at Greg Buttle's bar in the 80's. Shook his hand. Nice guy!

Archived