TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

27 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I like Viserys (and Paddy Considine tbh) and felt he portrayed exactly what he was supposed to be, a decent man who wanted to be a good and just King that was very aware of his weaknesses - he wanted people to be happy and live in peace... unfortunately,  he's in Westeros, and surrounded by GOT characters 😆

I think it’s debatable whether he was a good king or not. Daemon isn’t really wrong in his assessment of his brother. In so many ways Viserys was a coward and refused to do things that would have ensured lasting peace in the realm just because he wanted people to get along and like him. He traded long term peace and stability for short term concessions of tolerance. He kicked the can down the road until he just couldn’t kick anymore. And I think that’s one of the overarching themes of the A Song of Ice and Fire world. It’s a world largely dominated by bad and ambitious people and in that kind of a world a good man trying to do the right thing causes more chaos and death than the bad people.

The fact that we see a decent man as King for a season in GOT is compelling in and of iteself imo. Everyone else we see on screen on the Iron Throne is a piece of sh*t in one way or another.  

Agreed.

The BIGGEST thing for me as a takeaway from. Season 1 is the deliberate focus on the Song of Ice and Fire prophesy and the Prince that was Promised and the disaster of that secret not being passed down.... a pivotal point that GOT's threw away for "Shes Muh Queen...." 

Yeah I don’t really get the point of the retcon if they never somehow fix the disaster of season 8.

What sucks is the Night King is such a good addition to the shows that wasn’t in the books.  It turned the white walkers from something beastly to something with intelligence and malice behind it. Honestly I’ll never forget the end of Hardhome.  I was honestly terrified as the Night King raised his hands and the dead rose with them, all just staring silently at the living fleeing their grasp…for the moment.

D & D deserve to be in solitary confinement until they apologize for what they did to that masterpiece of a show.

And let's take an outside look at some "pop culture current nonsense" for a moment... HOTD is doing THIS SHOW in the current insanity of modern day media and crushing it. Lord Corlys is my dude,  and when he pledged his house and fleet to Rhaenyra, I was like, "Hell Yeah!". The granddaughters are great, sweet and nice... and dragonriders. And nobody cares who is playing them. Meanwhile, over at Disney..... 😆 

They’re fine. They haven’t really had any stand out moments but I’m sure they will eventually. Corlys is cool. I think they were developing an anime side story for him or something. Hopefully they get the actor to voice for the character or it might be weird. Rhaneys is the only member of that family I continue to dislike but I can’t blame it on the actress.

The quality of HOTD should be an outright embarrassment and lesson to Diz and Amazon (looking at YOU, "Rings of Powder"). Just write good stories and make good shows and you actually don't have to attack your own dwindling fanbases....

The Acolyte had a budget of $180 million but they cut what could have been a cool scene of a wookie Jedi being killed because of “budget reasons”. I’m glad they kept this in though!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

This is all fair and that's why I said "in some ways", I like the story telling better.  I think there is something to benefit, especially for people like me who havent read the books, to understand Westeros better coming into the story.  So there is probably a factor of nothing having to kind of figure out wtf is going on. 

Like, in GOT season 1...it starts beyond the Wall, then back to Winterfell and the King, and then the real King comes, and then they go to Kings Landing and all shorts of characters are being thrown at you, and then you're taken to a different land and following a totally different story and it's a bit confusing if you werent familiar w/ the content.  So I do think the benefit of understanding the landscape helps but I also think the setting of this particular story is just a little easier to digest.  The world is smaller, less pieces to fit together, so it makes it easier to close the loop on story lines, so to speak which is maybe making the story telling seem a little more coherent. 

For whatever it’s worth I watched season 1 of Game of Thrones and then I read all the books. I haven’t read Fire and Blood or whatever it’s called so besides what I recall from GoT spoiling its own prequel show back in the day I don’t know what’s going to happen. Like those two brothers killing each other I had no idea that was a thing but after seeing comments online book readers were expecting it.

I definitely agree keeping the setting smaller is benefiting the show a lot over GoT. Staying mostly in Kings Landing and Dragonstone makes it much easier to follow.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Nolder said:

For whatever it’s worth I watched season 1 of Game of Thrones and then I read all the books. I haven’t read Fire and Blood or whatever it’s called so besides what I recall from GoT spoiling its own prequel show back in the day I don’t know what’s going to happen. Like those two brothers killing each other I had no idea that was a thing but after seeing comments online book readers were expecting it.

I definitely agree keeping the setting smaller is benefiting the show a lot over GoT. Staying mostly in Kings Landing and Dragonstone makes it much easier to follow.

Arryk and Erryk's fight is a song referred to a couple of times in the books, I think its "Farewell, my Brother" or something. Its a famous event in the world of Westeros to the point that there's a folk song... but in the Fire and Blood book, one of the POV's is from a Court Jester and he almost makes it "comedic", where they're both mortally wounded but take a few days to die and are in the same room dying but yelling and taunting each other for a few days as they die. I'm glad they portrayed it as sadder and along the lines of the folklore, not as a couple of idiots.... but when you think about it, these two honorable and decent men - twin brothers that are best of friends allow Noble scumbags that don't care about them really - to put them in a situation where they're fighting to the death over them. 

Civil War allegories aside, it's a foreshadowing of what's coming. Duh. LOL

Oh, for those that DON'T know... A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is currently being shot, and will premier NEXT year. If you like GOT but don't want to get into a series of 600 page books, the Dunk and Egg stories are awesome. 

31 minutes ago, Nolder said:

It's hard to keep a setting smaller when the backstory is so rich, especially with GoT where there are so many moving pieces involved. HOTD story is much smaller in scale compared to GoT.

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Arryk and Erryk's fight is a song referred to a couple of times in the books, I think its "Farewell, my Brother" or something. Its a famous event in the world of Westeros to the point that there's a folk song... but in the Fire and Blood book, one of the POV's is from a Court Jester and he almost makes it "comedic", where they're both mortally wounded but take a few days to die and are in the same room dying but yelling and taunting each other for a few days as they die. I'm glad they portrayed it as sadder and along the lines of the folklore, not as a couple of idiots.... but when you think about it, these two honorable and decent men - twin brothers that are best of friends allow Noble scumbags that don't care about them really - to put them in a situation where they're fighting to the death over them. 

Civil War allegories aside, it's a foreshadowing of whats coming. Duh. LOL

It reminds me a bit of the Knights of the Roundtable and Mordreds rebellion against Arthur causing knight to fight and kill knight. Friends and family. Every civil war is kind of the same story when you think about it I guess.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

It's hard to keep a setting smaller when the backstory is so rich, especially with GoT where there are so many moving pieces involved. HOTD story is much smaller in scale compared to GoT.

This is why George has had such a hard time bringing it all together and wrapping it up.

9 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I made this point way a couple of weeks ago... having a rich, deep, sprawling story and lore is great for a book series... but not so much for Television. Look no further than GOT. Every scene in Dorne is a waste of time. Every minute of screentime on the Iron Islands was wasted time. Hell, the entire "Ramsey Bolton is a psychopath" plotline that dominated a season could have been over a 2 episode arc. We GET it. He's a BAD GUY. JFC. lol. But none of it went anywhere, stole time from the main stories and events, and ultimately were basically dropped. Then again, the entire direction of the show was dropped and the core of the story was thrown away to make Arya Batman-TerminatorGirl and Muh Queen!!! 

• Upvote 2

The Boys is really starting to bore me. At this point I’m only following to see what happens to Homelander. If it wasn’t announced next season would be its last I would have been thinking about dropping the show entirely.

• Upvote 1

On 11/18/2022 at 7:17 AM, PFSIKH said:

Started Tulsa King.....did not really grip me.  Made the decision to go to bed rather than stay up and watch.  Might give it another shot.  

I gave it another shot.  

It is a good show.  Kind of a fun romp and not a ten-level deep drama, but a good fairly simple dramedy.  Probably could have used more episodes to flush out the plot, but that is not the environment we liv ein today.

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2024 at 10:48 AM, PFSIKH said:

I gave it another shot.  

It is a good show.  Kind of a fun romp and not a ten-level deep drama, but a good fairly simple dramedy.  Probably could have used more episodes to flush out the plot, but that is not the environment we liv ein today.

I thought Tulsa King was very good.  Looking forward to next season.  They actually give Stallone full paragraphs for lines. More amazing is that he recites them well.

• Upvote 1

HOTD has been…hmmm. It hasn’t been bad. I think we were kind of spoiled with such a strong season 1 that so far this season is feeling underwhelming even though I know it’s been mostly fine. Each episode has at least been a 7 but I’m dying for a 10/10. And I don’t mean just some big action sequence, although I’m not opposed, I want something really impactful to the story and so far probably the most significant plot advancement has been Daemon “taking” Harrenhal. It’s been a lot of setup and I’m ready for some payoff.

2 hours ago, Nolder said:

HOTD has been…hmmm. It hasn’t been bad. I think we were kind of spoiled with such a strong season 1 that so far this season is feeling underwhelming even though I know it’s been mostly fine. Each episode has at least been a 7 but I’m dying for a 10/10. And I don’t mean just some big action sequence, although I’m not opposed, I want something really impactful to the story and so far probably the most significant plot advancement has been Daemon “taking” Harrenhal. It’s been a lot of setup and I’m ready for some payoff.

I am probably the opposite.

I did enjoy the first season, but the time continuity, for lack of a better term, was a put off to me.  I did like it, but would probably give it a B/B+.  Solid.

Spoiler

A kid getting beheaded is not impactful?

I have enjoyed this season more.  Part of it is the episodic timing.  While there is no Jon Snow rising from the dead.  I think there have been more "oh sh*t" or "oh" moments.  Something that was far more common in GOT, but enjoyabale in HOTD none the less.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I am probably the opposite.

I did enjoy the first season, but the time continuity, for lack of a better term, was a put off to me.  I did like it, but would probably give it a B/B+.  Solid.

You mean the time jump they did? I didn’t mind it but I know some people didn’t like it.

Hide contents

A kid getting beheaded is not impactful?

Spoiler

It’s emotionally impactful but plot wise it’s nearly irrelevant. Jeherys was heir but Aegon is king and Aegon is young, he’s not in danger of sudden death (yet) and can make more heirs. It might have provoked the war that’s coming but cooler heads prevailed for the time being. Even if you want to count the assassination though, that and Harrenhal both came from Daemon. In the battle of Black vs Green only Black has made any real moves, despite Rhaneryas hesitancy.

I have enjoyed this season more.  Part of it is the episodic timing.  While there is no Jon Snow rising from the dead.  I think there have been more "oh sh*t" or "oh" moments.  Something that was far more common in GOT, but enjoyabale in HOTD none the less.

Hmmm I didn’t really feel like there was that many of those moments but it’s possible I missed some.

• Upvote 1

I know I’m late to it, but I finally binged Midnight Mass and loved it so much. Some of the performances were incredible, the dialogue was awesome, and Hamish Linklater as Father Paul was so ******* good. The Bev Keane character was likewise perfect. Hits a few false notes in Act III wrapping it up, but what a fun, well-done watch. 

Holy sh*t now that was an episode! I felt like the outcome was a little predictable but you know what? I’m ok with it. Trying to be unpredictable is how we get things like season 8 of GOT.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Nolder said:

Holy sh*t now that was an episode! I felt like the outcome was a little predictable but you know what? I’m ok with it. Trying to be unpredictable is how we get things like season 8 of GOT.

Really enjoyed it.

The prelude to the battle was almost as good as the battle itself, they built the tension up so well and loved the moments with the dragons and their riders.

Best showcase of dragons so far in the entire GOT series. I haven’t usually been one for fanboying out for them but I was just loving this. 

Tom Glynn-Carney the undisputed MVP of this season. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/6/2024 at 8:00 PM, T0mShane said:

I know I’m late to it, but I finally binged Midnight Mass and loved it so much. Some of the performances were incredible, the dialogue was awesome, and Hamish Linklater as Father Paul was so ******* good. The Bev Keane character was likewise perfect. Hits a few false notes in Act III wrapping it up, but what a fun, well-done watch. 

It was pretty well acted.  It lost a *little* starch for me when I found out it was a vampire show in disguise, but it was still very good.

13 hours ago, Nolder said:

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Really enjoyed it.

The prelude to the battle was almost as good as the battle itself, they built the tension up so well and loved the moments with the dragons and their riders.

Best showcase of dragons so far in the entire GOT series. I haven’t usually been one for fanboying out for them but I was just loving this. 

Cristen Cole looking around at the aftermath was the first time he's been relatable as a character since mid-season 1. It's obvious he was looking around as a guy who is really a common soldier like, "What the **** have we done?". The Battle was awesome - like pilots on living fighter planes in a dogfight... and Vhagar is a BEAST. Its like... crows attacking an eagle... lol. 

I like HOTD better than GOT at this point. Sorry, not sorry. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Really enjoyed it.

Same kinda. My first thought as things were getting started was “Huh, Meleys is actually pretty cool looking.” Right after that I was like “Wow how have we not seen more Sunfyre he looks and sounds awesome!” Then it was just a tragedy.

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Cristen Cole looking around at the aftermath was the first time he's been relatable as a character since mid-season 1. It's obvious he was looking around as a guy who is really a common soldier like, "What the **** have we done?". The Battle was awesome - like pilots on living fighter planes in a dogfight... and Vhagar is a BEAST. It’s like... crows attacking an eagle... lol. 

Cristen Cole is honestly a good soldier. That’s where he shines as a person and as a character (if you can forgive him his flaws elsewhere). Dude should have taken his oaths more seriously and stayed away from women lol. 

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I like HOTD better than GOT at this point. Sorry, not sorry. 

I’m not ready to say that. What I will say is when George is involved it makes things better and when he’s not these shows suffer for it. With that said I’d rather he finish his effing books but that’s never happening at this point.

While I enjoyed the last episode of HOTD, I'm a little frustrated w/ the Dragon fighting.  Quite frankly, I didnt find it all the visually stunning nor did I think the fight scene was all that exciting.  The Dragons power takes the thrill out of the fight.  IMO it lacks creativity.  All they are doing is blowing fire.  It was predictable, which is fine but the reason it frustrated me is because of the whole Rhaenys story arch.   She could have ended the entire conflict at Kings Landing and then is obviously and vocally reluctant to fully support her cousin but then suddenly decides to take the first shot w/ Dragons and essentially, commit suicide?   I guess the only thing that is somewhat intriguing about the Dragons is how they're going to take down Vhagar because he's so massive compared to the rest of the dragons, which if I'm guessing will probably be a showdown w/ Daemon and Aemond. 

Also, was Aemond about to go ensure that his brother was dead when Cole ran up on him?  Was that why he had his sword out?  So the King is still alive?  

2 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

While I enjoyed the last episode of HOTD, I'm a little frustrated w/ the Dragon fighting.  Quite frankly, I didnt find it all the visually stunning nor did I think the fight scene was all that exciting.  The Dragons power takes the thrill out of the fight.  IMO it lacks creativity.  All they are doing is blowing fire. 

First of all, what else did you really expect? I agree this isn’t a well choreographed sword fight or kung fu but for two fictional flying lizards made by computer artists? I dunno man you show me a BETTER dragon fight. Secondly breathing fire is not all they did. In fact breathing fire at another dragon rider seems sub optimal in most cases as was shown when Aegon and Sunfyre first attacked Rhaenys and Meleys and lost track of them in the fire. The most effective attacks seemed to be clawing at the under belly. We saw this with Sunfyre and Vhagar while Meleys nearly had her head bitten off before dying. I think the overall vision for the fight was for the dragons to fight somewhat like birds. And again I agree this isn’t going to be as exciting as say a good lightsaber duel or something but in a show about dragons going to war with dragons and with my expectations set I can’t say I was disappointed with what I got.

It was predictable, which is fine but the reason it frustrated me is because of the whole Rhaenys story arch.   She could have ended the entire conflict at Kings Landing and then is obviously and vocally reluctant to fully support her cousin but then suddenly decides to take the first shot w/ Dragons and essentially, commit suicide?   I guess the only thing that is somewhat intriguing about the Dragons is how they're going to take down Vhagar because he's so massive compared to the rest of the dragons, which if I'm guessing will probably be a showdown w/ Daemon and Aemond. 

I haven’t read Fire and Blood so I don’t know exactly what’s going to happen but we all know from GoT that all these dragons are dead. Vhagar will die somehow. Caraxes, Syrax, Dreamfyre, Seasmoke. All dead. It’s going to be bloody and probably pretty sad. I’ll admit I may not care much about Aegon and I dislike Rhaenys for basically the reasons you laid out but man when those dragons were getting cut up I felt bad.

As for Rhaenys I completely agree. When she escaped last season she killed hundreds of people only to constantly caution rhanerya about going to war and getting people killed. Not only is she a hypocrite but as has been noted if she cared so much she could have ended the war potentially. What was one more death that day? I’m glad her character is gone.

Also, was Aemond about to go ensure that his brother was dead when Cole ran up on him?  Was that why he had his sword out?  So the King is still alive?  

I think it was left ambiguous as a “tune in next week to find out!” Kind of thing. I will say this, Aegon dying is interesting in how it will affect the story. Aegon surviving is even more interesting. My guess is that that armor he got last week is going to “save” him even though that makes no sense. We’ll see though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

41 minutes ago, Nolder said:

think it was left ambiguous as a “tune in next week to find out!” Kind of thing. I will say this, Aegon dying is interesting in how it will affect the story. Aegon surviving is even more interesting. My guess is that that armor he got last week is going to “save” him even though that makes no sense. We’ll see though.

I do think Aemond intended to kill Aegon if he were still alive, and I agree that it would be fascinating to see what happens if he lives, but it would be really annoying if he were still alive only because it's so disingenuous.

I haven't read the books but I vaguely recall from GOT that the dragon rider and dragon are connected by magic and that if the dragon dies, it weakens the rider. We saw this with Rhaenys in the moment that Meleys had her head bitten off...Rhaenys almost became paralyzed as she fell to the earth.

Aegon's dragon died which should have weakened him, and he fell to the ground under his dragon the same way that Rhaenys did. How is he surviving that? Makes no sense. Aemond even picked up the King's dagger that's been passed down from Aegon the conquerer to Viserys to Aegon.

• Upvote 1

I'm rewatching GoT and funny enough in season 3, episode 4 at the 16 minute mark, Joffrey tells his bride to be exactly what happens to Rhaenyra. Her fate will not change from the book as he describes exactly as the books told it. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm surprised that I haven't seen it mentioned here, but I've been watching Mr. Inbetween.  I really like it, but I admit that comedies about Australian mob killers with anger management issues seem right up my alley.

It's one of my favorite shows of all time - have rewatched it many times.  Ray is one of my favorite characters.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I do think Aemond intended to kill Aegon if he were still alive, and I agree that it would be fascinating to see what happens if he lives, but it would be really annoying if he were still alive only because it's so disingenuous.

I haven't read the books but I vaguely recall from GOT that the dragon rider and dragon are connected by magic and that if the dragon dies, it weakens the rider. We saw this with Rhaenys in the moment that Meleys had her head bitten off...Rhaenys almost became paralyzed as she fell to the earth.

Aegon's dragon died which should have weakened him, and he fell to the ground under his dragon the same way that Rhaenys did. How is he surviving that? Makes no sense. Aemond even picked up the King's dagger that's been passed down from Aegon the conquerer to Viserys to Aegon.

No no sunfyre is actually still alive. If you watch the scene again you see and hear Sunfyre struggling to breathe. Don’t get me wrong I think the dragon has fatal injuries but when Cole walks up and the episode ends Sunfyre is still technically alive if that matters. Aegon is just laying there so we don’t know how injured or dead he is.

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

I'm rewatching GoT and funny enough in season 3, episode 4 at the 16 minute mark, Joffrey tells his bride to be exactly what happens to Rhaenyra. Her fate will not change from the book as he describes exactly as the books told it. 

I know there are a lot of spoilers for HOTD in GOT, Joffrey isn’t the only one who says stuff about it. Luckily I have a bad memory and don’t recall any of it lol.

40 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Finished watching "Dark Matter" (Apple) last night.  If you're not tired out by multiverse plotlines, this was very good.

Apple is killing it with scifi imo. Based on their other shows I might give this a chance eventually.