What Scouts Are Saying About this year's QBs

32EBoozer

Starting today and for the next two weeks, we will give you a position-by-position look at the top players in the 2015 NFL Draft through the eyes of the men who scout the players and make the picks.

Four top scouts and NFL executives, who all have earned a Super Bowl ring for their work, spoke to NJ Advance Media about the draft and helped rank the players. They requested anonymity because they weren't authorized to speak about players.

Here's an alphabetical look at the top five quarterbacks. For their rankings and what team they might go to, click through the slideshow at the bottom.

Garrett Grayson, Colorado State

Measurables: 6-2, 213, 4.60

Stats: Threw for over 7,600 yards the past two years.

Scouts Say: "No, I don't want him. Some team might, but it won't be us.'' ..."We weren't impressed. There's too much that needs to be done.'' ..."Good arm, pretty accurate, too. He just needs to work on mechanics and things like that. He'll be OK.'' ..."If he went to Alabama or Oregon, you would have heard a lot more about him. I think he's going to be pretty good.''

Brett Hundley, UCLA

Measurables: 6-3, 226, 4.63

Stats: Career 75 TDs, 25 interceptions

Scouts Say: "I don't want to kill him, but he's just not that good.'' ..."There are tools there, but he needs time, a lot of time. He's not ready to play.'' ..."There are just too many flaws in his game.'' ..."We're not high on him at all.''

Bryce Petty, Baylor

Measurables: 6-3, 230, 4.87

Stats: 62 TDs and 10 interceptions the past two years.

Scouts Say: "He's not the guy you looking for, at least we aren't.'' ..."It looks like he just locks in one receiver every play. I'm not sure how good he is reading a defense.'' ..."He gets rid of the ball quickly, which is good. But there's not much else I like.'' ..."He had some really good players around him, which made him look a little better than he is.''

Marcus Mariota, Oregon

Measurables: 6-4, 222, 4.52

Stats: 42 TDs and four interceptions last season.

Scouts Say: "In a word, great. He's the best I've seen since (Andrew) Luck. He's everything you want.'' ..."He has it all. If we had the first pick, he'd be ours. But we don't.'' ..."The only knock we have on him, is he's a thrower, not a passer. But he'll work on that. He'll be real good.'' ..."What I like best about him is he's a hard worker. He'll put in the time. That's more important than people realize.''

Jameis Winston, Florida State

Measurables:6-4, 231, 4.90

Stats: After throwing 40 TDs and 10 interceptions in 2013, he threw 25 TDs and 18 interceptions last year.

Scouts Say: "The turnovers bother me as much as the off the field stuff.'' ..."If you can get by the off the field stuff, and we can't, he's really good.'' ..."If he doesn't mature, he's not going to be playing in this league. He has the talent to play, but he needs to grow up in a hurry.'' ..."It's not like we would be in line to take him, anyway, but we don't go near guys like him. There's just too much there.''

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2...rterbacks.html

I really hope the Jets don't draft one of the second-round guys...haven't been able to find much good about any of them and everything I see says they'll never be any good, or if they will be, it's going to take a few years.

I really hope the Jets don't draft one of the second-round guys...haven't been able to find much good about any of them and everything I see says they'll never be any good, or if they will be, it's going to take a few years.

I agree. Would be wasting a draft pick, just like they did with Geno, taking a guy with a premium pick that will be, at best, a career backup.

Better option than anyone else they'll get after Mariota/Winston.

That is true. I have no idea if they are interested in Glennon but I think they wait to see what happens with the top 2 QB's then they might make a move. I just hope its not for Hundley unless its the 7th round.

Any QB coming out will need development so that is a non issue. Do the jets like any of the second tier QB's enough to think they are worth  a shot is the question.

The second part of that question is if they like one of them, are they willing to use a 2nd round pick on them?  If so..may as well spend it on a guy who won't have the learning curve.

I agree. Would be wasting a draft pick, just like they did with Geno, taking a guy with a premium pick that will be, at best, a career backup.

Taking Geno wasn't the problem. Starting him was, he was not even close to being ready. Idzik pressured Rex into having a "competition" and then then Sanchez got hurt in that meaningless pre-season game. Remember we had brought that get qb who's name escapes me right now and he retired leaving us with just Simms. Idzik really screwed up in so many ways... if this regime drafts a quarterback I have confidence they take the time to develop him.

Glennon. Sorry I just had to say it.

I think he will be immediately available when the Bucs select Winston with the first pick. I think he could be had for a third rounder and would be an upgrade over Geno Smith for sure. I still like Bryce Petty but the closer it gets to draft day the more I hear about him that is not flattering. I think Maccagnan has a plan to get Mariota to NY and I hope he succeeds. Didn't much like who John Brinkus of Sports Science equated him to though - it was Johnny Manziel while Winston was compared to Big Ben Roethlisberger. Winston is crazy accurate while Mariota was compared to a one read guy whose accuracy went down considerably on second and third reads. Could be a problem but he may have enough work ethic to overcome that.

That is true. I have no idea if they are interested in Glennon but I think they wait to see what happens with the top 2 QB's then they might make a move. I just hope its not for Hundley unless its the 7th round.

I wouldn't waste a draft pick on Hundley. He will not make a blip on the NFL QB radar in his career.

Taking Geno wasn't the problem. Starting him was, he was not even close to being ready. Idzik pressured Rex into having a "competition" and then then Sanchez got hurt in that meaningless pre-season game. Remember we had brought that get qb who's name escapes me right now and he retired leaving us with just Simms. Idzik really screwed up in so many ways... if this regime drafts a quarterback I have confidence they take the time to develop him.

I think you mean David Garrard. Agree with you on new regime....seem to have much more on the ball. At least hope so. Totally disagree on Geno...think was a waste of a pick, especially there.

Mariota is getting a lot of love  lately after being bashed pretty good.  A very polarizing player.  I said it before, overall this QB class stinks.  I have been most concerned about all the talk of the jets being in on Hundley.  Ugh!

Mariota is getting a lot of love  lately after being bashed pretty good.  A very polarizing player.  I said it before, overall this QB class stinks.  I have been most concerned about all the talk of the jets being in on Hundley.  Ugh!

Seems like after Mayock moved him to #1, lots of people went back to re-evaluate and switched opinions. I agree on Hundley. If they like him, they should absolutely love Gary Nova of Rutgers! Difference is, you could get Nova in 7th or as a FA. 

So someone explain what the hell that means anyway.

Tough to know what the guy means without more detail but you most often see this term used if a guy has a big arm thought this does not apply to Mariota.

It probably has to do with being able to fire the ball in when require, being able to take something off of it and have some touch when required and being able to throw a good long ball.

Co-sign.  All of the so-called 2nd round guys are really 6th round value.  No need to waste a valuable pick by reaching out of desperation. 

Archived