Jets talked with Titans

DaBallhawk

If Big Mac loves him and sees a Franchise QB in Mariota, then I'd have no problem trading up.  Why the hell not.

Exactly....There seems to be this overwhelming anti-MM agenda on this board...While most experts think he needs some NFL experience - they do believe he has all of the tools to be a legitimate NFL franchise QB...

If our GM (who everyone seems to trust) believes he has the potential to be a legitimate franchise QB then he should do whatever it takes to get him.

Someone has to explain to me why Mariota as a prospect is so superior to what Geno presented two years ago. The stat lines are so close it's ridiculous, they operated in similar systems, and they're both mobile QB's (Mariota is faster, no doubt). They both have trouble reading progressions and suffering accuracy problems on the second check down. If it was me, I'd say why throw the farm at a guy who is a slighly better copy of what I have? I just don't see why there is such a frenzy around him.

On the other hand, if the Bucs somehow magically take Mariota, Winston is a guy I would consider trading up for. He at least has the makings of a franchise QB out of the gate. I don't think that will happen, but that's the only scenario for which the Jets should move up.

Mariota has the legs of Kaepernick, the arm of Geno, and the brain of both of them combined!

You can't hit QBs anymore!

Mariota got hit more in college than he will when he takes off in the NFL, similar to Russell Wilson. Both of these guys have GREAT vision when they run & they know how to use the sideline as their friend plus know how to & when to slide!

Players like this are a PAIN IN THE AZZ!

Geno is a player when he takes off fans are like "uh oh, watch out, OMG throw the ball out of bounds, don't hold the ball like a loaf of bread"

Mariota is so freaking fast that he'd take off, make one move, have a 1st down, slide, ok, another 3 more downs.

Go with Geno or Fitz, bring Mariota along in a QB friendly system designed by Chan Gailey & work on winning this damn division for once!

Someone has to explain to me why Mariota as a prospect is so superior to what Geno presented two years ago. The stat lines are so close it's ridiculous, they operated in similar systems, and they're both mobile QB's (Mariota is faster, no doubt). They both have trouble reading progressions and suffering accuracy problems on the second check down. If it was me, I'd say why throw the farm at a guy who is a slighly better copy of what I have? I just don't see why there is such a frenzy around him.

On the other hand, if the Bucs somehow magically take Mariota, Winston is a guy I would consider trading up for. He at least has the makings of a franchise QB out of the gate. I don't think that will happen, but that's the only scenario for which the Jets should move up.

The big diffrence to start with is the brain.  Geno is dumb as a stump while Mariota is smart.    

I don't understand where accuracy problems and Mariota come together.   I know its how his system worked but he was 68.3 % with 42 TD's and 4 picks.     How the heck is that not accurate?

In regards to moving up, he told the world that he would call every team ahead of the Jets to explore possibility of moving up during his pre-draft press conference.

In regards to moving down, said that would be his preference and told Jets reporter he'd contact every NFL team before Thursday's draft.

Do you have a quote? I somehow doubt he said he'd contact every team in the NFL like he's going down a list while holding the phone on the other hand. I'm sure he said something along the lines that they might move up or down, but that's not the same as saying we're gonna contact team so and so.

The big diffrence to start with is the brain.  Geno is dumb as a stump while Mariota is smart.    

I don't understand where accuracy problems and Mariota come together.   I know its how his system worked but he was 68.3 % with 42 TD's and 4 picks.     How the heck is that not accurate?

He is and was accurate...People are making up a narrative to fit their case of not liking Mariotta.  For some reason Jet fans simply don't like the guy.  Maybe because we've been burned before, maybe because they believe is a jinx....I really don't know but most experts believe this guy is going to be a very good NFL QB - but the QB starved Jet fan wouldn't touch the guy with a ten foot poll...

Mariota has the legs of Kaepernick, the arm of Geno, and the brain of both of them combined!

You can't hit QBs anymore!

Mariota got hit more in college than he will when he takes off in the NFL, similar to Russell Wilson. Both of these guys have GREAT vision when they run & they know how to use the sideline as their friend plus know how to & when to slide!

Players like this are a PAIN IN THE AZZ!

Geno is a player when he takes off fans are like "uh oh, watch out, OMG throw the ball out of bounds, don't hold the ball like a loaf of bread"

Mariota is so freaking fast that he'd take off, make one move, have a 1st down, slide, ok, another 3 more downs.

Go with Geno or Fitz, bring Mariota along in a QB friendly system designed by Chan Gailey & work on winning this damn division for once!

Hmm..

Do you have a quote? I somehow doubt he said he'd contact every team in the NFL like he's going down a list while holding the phone on the other hand. I'm sure he said something along the lines that they might move up or down, but that's not the same as saying we're gonna contact team so and so.

The quote on NFL network this morning from Jets beat reporter was "when I followed up with Maccagnan after his pre-draft press conference, he told me he would contact all 31 NFL teams "...might be off by a word or two, but I wouldn't be shocked to find out Maccagnan is the kind of guy who does his due diligence. He seems sharp and already said during the presser (you should watch it) that he would call every team about moving up, but would prefer to add picks which is what teams usually do when they move down.

Jets talking to Tenn is only a story of you just started watching.

And Geno had a 67.4% completion rate over more seasons. College career:

Comp. Atts Rate  Yards              TD's INT PR

988 1465 67.4 11662 8.0 8.7 98 21  153.5

In his senior year, Geno had :

42 TDs 6 INTS    163.9  Passer Rating

So tell me again why Mariota is so much better than Geno?

And Geno had a 67.4% completion rate over more seasons. College career:

Comp. Atts Rate  Yards              TD's INT PR

988 1465 67.4 11662 8.0 8.7 98 21  153.5

In his senior year, Geno had :

42 TDs 6 INTS    163.9  Passer Rating

So tell me again why Mariota is so much better than Geno?

And I forgot to mention that Mariota's completion rate dropped to 55% when he needed a second option. He's a work in progress at best.

He is and was accurate...People are making up a narrative to fit their case of not liking Mariotta.  For some reason Jet fans simply don't like the guy.  Maybe because we've been burned before, maybe because they believe is a jinx....I really don't know but most experts believe this guy is going to be a very good NFL QB - but the QB starved Jet fan wouldn't touch the guy with a ten foot poll...

Look at their respective stats and tell me who is making up a narrative...

Maccagnan has already said he's going to call all five teams above him to gauge the cost of trading up... He also said he'd like to get more picks, and trade back. This means nothing.

Yep..pretty much.

I absolutely wouldn't accept his offer.  I wouldn't even entertain it.

In this deal, we'd be dropping 14 spots in the draft to acquire a player who would end up on IR if he happened to step outside into a light breeze.  No thank you.

Agreed.

Rather keep #6 and hope for the best from Fitz.

Let's add the fact that Geno had two NFL WRs to throw to and a much weaker schedule.

Anyone else on Oregon offense getting drafted this weekend besides Fisher

Austin and Bailey are better than Huff, Thomas, and Barner, but both teams produced NFL receivers. SOS is a fair point. Also, smarts/speed of analysis is a valid point. Geno without a doubt struggles to sort out the field and gets himself in trouble because of that. We've seen so many times when he misses the 2nd or 3rd receiver because he's scambling trying to make a play with his feet. On the other hand, Mariota ran for 770 yard with Oregon. If he does anything like that in the NFL he'll be dead before his first year is done. He's going to have to sit back in the pocket more and trhow fast and accurately, and I just don't know if he can do that with NFL windows and high level corners. If he's a Jet, I hope to God I'm dead wrong. If he's on somebody else's team, I hope I'm Nostradamus. :)

A trade for the #2 pick woul cost us this year's #1 as well as next years. Titans have already informed that they will not take a player in any trade.

The only way I could see us trade is if we use Mariota for trade bait for either multiple players, picks or both!

A trade for the #2 pick woul cost us this year's #1 as well as next years. Titans have already informed that they will not take a player in any trade.

The only way I could see us trade is if we use Mariota for trade bait for either multiple players, picks or both!

Webster said he would prefer picks to a player, not he would not take a player.  Unless you saw a diffrent quote then I did.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/story/_/id/12793257/tennessee-titans-talking-no-2-pick-3-4-teams-gm-ruston-webster-says

"Webster said he would prefer to get draft picks in return for the No. 2 pick, rather than players."

That's exactly what would happen anyway, if we were to trade for Bradford. We'd drop 14 spots in the draft and Fitzpatrick would still be our starter.

The only thing there is that Bradford has the potential to be a top QB. That's a big if, but the upside is there

The only thing there is that Bradford has the potential to be a top QB. That's a big if, but the upside is there

Even if Bradford stayed healthy and had a good year, he will be a FA after next season meaning we would have to franchise him at somewhere near $25M. No way Bradford is going anywhere today.

If Big Mac loves him and sees a Franchise QB in Mariota, then I'd have no problem trading up. Why the hell not.

Because some Jets fans think in an age of the QB you can have a journeyman at the most important position on the field and win a SB.

Well u can't. It has been quite a while since Dilfer won and all WInning QBs have been HOF caliber.

That is why you move up if you believe your target is that kind of player. Period

He may have the potential, but he can't stay healthy.  If a team trades their first-rounder for him with the expectation of him being the long-term answer at QB, then that GM doesn't know what he's doing.

I wonder if GM's felt the same way about Phil Simms. In his early career he was hurt every year , but he turned out ok.  Not saying Bradford will turn into Simms , but you never know.

Because some Jets fans think in an age of the QB you can have a journeyman at the most important position on the field and win a SB.

Well u can't. It has been quite a while since Dilfer won and all WInning QBs have been HOF caliber.

That is why you move up if you believe your target is that kind of player. Period

Damn straight Charlie Brown!

I wonder if GM's felt the same way about Phil Simms. In his early career he was hurt every year , but he turned out ok.  Not saying Bradford will turn into Simms , but you never know.

With today's NFL rules, I wonder if the Giants would have won either of their two Super Bowls. Heck, while we are at it, would any of those "defensive teams" been able to beat SF, SD, or Miami?

We are playing championship football of the 80's and 90's. Doesn't work so well now.

Archived